Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

To be fair to the halflings, their food is that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ze Pollack posted:

The Warhammer halflings are notable for two things: one, they have a vote for Emperor, courtesy of Ludwig the Fat being notably greedy even for an emperor, two, they have some very good vampire hunters, on the grounds that since they border Sylvania they get an awful lot of practice.

Also, if I recall correctly, Halfling blood tastes terrible to vampires, so they're not really used as a food source.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ze Pollack posted:

The Warhammer halflings are notable for two things: one, they have a vote for Emperor, courtesy of Ludwig the Fat being notably greedy even for an emperor, two, they have some very good vampire hunters, on the grounds that since they border Sylvania they get an awful lot of practice.

Do note that Ludwig wasn't bribed by the Moot, he just despised the electors and really liked Halfling food, the finest meal of his life coming from them, so he gave the Moot a vote out of spite for the electors counts and from appreciation for their culinary ability. It was the cult of Sigmar that bribed him to give the Grand Theogenist a vote.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Green Intern posted:

Also, if I recall correctly, Halfling blood tastes terrible to vampires, so they're not really used as a food source.

It's a mixture of this, and Von Carsteins are incredibly arrogant. So whenever one of them gears up to conquer the Moot, the others make fun of them. This is enough to make them stop and pretend it was a joke anyway.

Vampires are surprisingly similar to teenagers.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Green Intern posted:

What, do Vampires only like the blood of miserable, sad beings, and halflings are just too jolly for them?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

JT Jag posted:

What, do Vampires only like the blood of miserable, sad beings, and halflings are just too jolly for them?

Elves get them drunk, dwarfs taste like ashes. Only humans are really good for them to eat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JT Jag posted:

Halflings are exceedingly resistant to magic and chaos both, and its theorized vampires feed on the magic in peoples' blood. One of the reasons they find elves to be incredibly rich desserts.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Do the halflings even have an army listing with heroes and stuff on the tabletop game?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The halflings basically maintain their independence half because they're so insufferably petty and annoying that no-one wants to bother administering the Moot, too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
At least tell me warhammer hobbits (warhambits) put skulls on everything like any self-respecting race.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

At least tell me warhammer hobbits (warhambits) put skulls on everything like any self-respecting race.

They'd only use skulls to make soup stock.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kanthulhu posted:

Do the halflings even have an army listing with heroes and stuff on the tabletop game?

They had a couple of random units, among which a soup catapult. Their single most-existing thing was a Regiment of Reknown: Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks, a group of adventure-seeking halflings accidentally recruited by the noted con man and petty thief Lumpin Croop as an excuse to avoid a barfight, saying he knew of a place where halflings of martial skill would be showered with gold and with feasting to avoid getting the tar beaten out of him. Every week, Lumpin tries to sneak away from his adventuring band, and his men spend a few days tracking their boss down on his latest "training exercise." Every time he tries to lead his men away from the Tilean mercenary recruiters he promised would make them richer and fatter, they find themselves in a strategically useful position for a fight he did not know was happening, redoubling their respect for his initiative and thirst for battle.

After a few years of Lumpin desperately trying to avoid living up to his words, every last one of them is an expert tracker, and a fine marksman, with a collective talent for appearing in places everyone including their captain, would very much prefer they not be. And man, at the rates they're being paid now, IMAGINE what they'll be paid when they make it to Tilea!

(mechanically speaking they were cheap skirmish archers with stealth and vanguard deployment.)

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turn 8

Speaking of halflings, the Moot beats Zelig to within an inch of his life and his army is looking just as pitiful. A single unit of bats might be able to take on Zelig's army here so it's autoresolved.

---

Zelig finally bows to the inevitable after his unforunate expedition into Stirland and becomes a vassal. Since he's a schemer I'll probably avoid calling him into any wars until he starts to get Stockholm syndrome. Your vassals have a chance to betray you by refusing your call to arms if you call them at the start of a war and if you have negative relations that probably makes it more likely.

The relations penalty from all the fighting between us is -161 but making them a vassal adds 100 or 110 so it'll start to even out as turns pass and the military actions -161 goes down. Making Templehof a vassal may not be optimal but the advantage is that even with a small territory they'll field a few armies of skeletons and zombies to help defend Sylvania and they'll send out agents too. Ostermark, the Empire province north of Sylvania is hard to defend for a few reasons so by vassalizing Templehof you can have them deal with it and the dwarfs/greenskins who might come from the northeastern mountain passes. You'll still get the commandment bonus for eastern Sylvania but lose out on the buildings there.

Most of the dark magic carted off from Waldenhof a few turns ago is given back as gifts to help them rebuild their city and undead militia now that they've kissed the Carstein ring.

---

The skirmish against Zelig's depleted army ranks Vlad up and he gets The Hunger. He'll regenerate hit points while in combat so now he'll be even harder to kill. Every unit has a percentage cap on healing per battle that'll appear as a | on the health bar when the max healing is getting close.

---

Making Templehof a vassal gives a border with the Slayer's Keep Karak Kadrin.

They're defensive, reliable, hold grudges of course, and they're also underdogs. They're only at war with the Red Eye tribe of goblins that infest the mountains to the far north.

Ornery Backslider, the top gobbo of the tribe has the best trait in the game, Vampiric Influence, "can be easily swayed by vampires during diplomacy." They're at war with Ostermark, Karak Kadrin and an Empire province I don't have contact with yet. Instead of going after Zhufbar once Sylvania is united, I'll try to relieve the Red Eyes by attacking Ostermark and Karak Kadrin at the same time. I've played a few Vampire Count campaigns and sometimes this tribe gets vampiric influence but I've never seen them survive since they're totally surrounded by Kislev and the Empire to their west and Karak Kadrin to their south and there's no other greenskin tribes nearby to take any pressure off them. Their current strength rating is higher than Karak Kadrin's so hopefully that's a good sign. If the mountains to the east of Sylvania were infested by Vampiric influenced goblins after everything that isn't nailed down is taken back to Sylvania, that would be the best case scenario. That way they can take the fight to the main dwarf faction which isn't as easy for vampires because of the attrition you take getting there and it means the dwarfs won't colonize the mountain holds turned into ruins.

---

Eschen's raise dead pool after the battle with Mannfred. 19 units in the pool for now, a full army if I had enough souls to raise them all. The units in the pool will improve with better recruitment buildings built. Pretty sure I didn't raise dead here. With Mannfred's army gone there's no immediate threats and the standing army should be enough to take back Castle Drakenhof.

Since the necromancer is standing with his army outside the walls of Drakenhof, if engaged it'll draw the garrison out from the city. Usually the weaker army sitting outside the city would run away but the power bar is slightly in their favor so he stands his ground.

"Stalwart defenders of the crypts, Grave Guards possess a fighting skill beyond that of the usual wights." Grave Guard and Grave Guard with Great Weapons (not seen yet) are the highest tier undead infantry. They have high armor, silver shields meaning they block 55% of missile attacks from the front, and decent defensive stats. They're a little lacking in melee attack but their high defense allows them to hold the line and when backed up with regeneration will outlast living infantry, although you'll want the armor piercing greatsword version of grave guard when fighting against highly armored infantry like Dwarfs and Empire greatswords/Chaos warriors. The earlier you get grave guard the better. The tier 1 and 2 units that other factions will make their armies up of in the first 20-40 turns won't stand a chance against grave guard. They also have a small anti-infantry bonus.

"Devilish chariots imbued with dark and eldritch power, driving the Undead to greater, more macabre acts." Corpse Carts are a support chariot that regenerates and gives a +8 to melee attack and defense to any friendly units in a 40m circle. There are three versions of the corpse cart and they have different auras but this one is the cheapest and only has the attack/defense buff. They're being pulled by zombies so they move pretty slow but the aura is worth it.

At one point in this video I start showing a part of the interface that controls what does and doesn't show up on the battle interface.

To get to this, I'm pretty sure you just hit the arrow in the circle at the center right edge of the screen. If you check a box, that means it'll show that when you hold down the space bar, but if you hit the lock then it'll always show it. One of the most useful ones is locking hide foliage if you want to see what you're doing better in a forest fight.

Battle of Drakenhof - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgvEN4YUcB4

This is the closest battle so far and shows why I had to ambush Mannfred away from Drakenhof. Since the garrison is reinforcing the necromancer they start the battle split up so the necromancer and his small army are taken out first. Even with most of the enemy army dead, the grave guard hold out for a while and would've been a lot more difficult to deal with on top of the walls and supporting a real army. They crumble here because the rest of their army is gone. The vargheists came close to being wiped and Isabella's army is reduced to half strength but the only units lost are two fell bats and the Vampire Counts have been broken for good. Now Isabella can waltz proudly into her ancestral home.

Or not! Somehow twelve measly fell bats escaped the battle and flew back to the Castle preventing us from taking it without building a ram, even though I have more vargheist than they have bats. This is pretty stupid and I don't know how it happened but these bats are soon going to be drawn and quartered by skeletal steeds for delaying Isabella's triumph through her hometown.

---

At the now quiet Castle Templehof, the sawmill chain is taken to tier 2 to give more income and timber. The trees that used to belong to Zelig will eventually be sold back to him once he agrees to trade.

---

The political map at the end of turn 8. The only visible territory that's changed hands is Templehof's. The elector counts of the Empire are neutral towards us because of all the fighting against Templehof and the Vampire Counts but our treaty with Templehof is probably going to sink it. Zhufbar hates us because Dwarfs have a stronger built in aversion to the undead. Zhufbar is defensive though and dealing with the greenskins at Grom Peak so they're not likely to cause trouble.

---

On the AI's turn, because we had to lay siege to Castle Drakenhof, the tiny remnants of the Vampire Count army, now lead by a Strigoi Ghoul King, were able to raise dead and make for Schwartzhafen. If there was no garrison building here I'd be worried but the crypt horrors will be enough to keep this last gasp of the Vampire Counts from getting anywhere.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 5, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The fight against Drakenhof's garrison should be the last major Vampire on Vampire battle besides rebellions, and at least rebellions will spawn with varied units. I think vampire mirror matches are probably the most boring matchup in the game, especially when it's nothing but skeletons and zombies, so glad to be past that phase of the campaign now.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Trujillo posted:

The fight against Drakenhof's garrison should be the last major Vampire on Vampire battle besides rebellions, and at least rebellions will spawn with varied units. I think vampire mirror matches are probably the most boring matchup in the game, especially when it's nothing but skeletons and zombies, so glad to be past that phase of the campaign now.

I noticed that it basically boiled down to "bury the other side in chaff, then assassinate the leadership."

I expect that it will involve much of the same against other groups, but to a lesser extent as the entire army doesn't fall apart on their leader's deaths. They get a morale penalty sure, but can keep fighting.

I look forwards to seeing you actually field some of those nicer units yourself too. Watching a horde of skeletons and zombies basically grind themselves up against the enemy front line like the most calcium enriched sandpaper imaginable gets kinda boring after a while, you know?

The bat drops are always fun to watch though. Usually because the first one disintegrates whatever you sent them against if it is weak enough. Especially since you usually drop the Varghiests on them too. Flyers are always such fun units.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Halflings are exceedingly resistant to magic and chaos both, and its theorized vampires feed on the magic in peoples' blood. One of the reasons they find elves to be incredibly rich desserts.

In fact vampires don't need to drink blood and can subsist off of raw dark magic, but it drives them absolutely insane. It's also why Necrarchs look like rotten corpses and Strigoi have devolved.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Since this might as well be a Vampire lorepost, what happens when a Blood Dragon manages to drink the blood of a Dragon? I hear they either simply up their power levels and become a super-vampire, or more dramatically lose all their vampire weaknesses while retaining their strengths. And is it only the Blood Dragons who can do this?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I think the origin story of the blood dragons has the sire of the line drinking the blood of a dragon and losing the irrational, evil bit of the blood thirst. I want to say Abhorash or something similar.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CommissarMega posted:

What happens when a Blood Dragon manages to drink the blood of a Dragon? I hear they either simply up their power levels and become a super-vampire, or more dramatically lose all their vampire weaknesses while retaining their strengths. And is it only the Blood Dragons who can do this?

lenoon posted:

I think the origin story of the blood dragons has the sire of the line drinking the blood of a dragon and losing the irrational, evil bit of the blood thirst. I want to say Abhorash or something similar.

Abhorash was a pretty strong willed guy, so he had his bloodthirsty as under control as anyone could. I think it just removed the need for blood for sustenance. I don't know if it removed any of the other weaknesses. I'm inclined to say that it didn't, its just that dragons are so naturally magical that it provides the drinker all the sustenance they'd ever need. And any vampire can do it, a Necrarch named Zacharius the Everliving managed to find a Black Dragon and drink her dry.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Does it require full drain, or can you drink, like, a pint of the stuff and get the effects? Because I could see this being a good reason for vampires to hunt a dragon down, capture it, and then basically drain it slowly for the whole family. Hell, maybe just install a tap.
Keeping a dragon knocked out, while slowly exsanguinating it would be hella evil... but no less so then most vampires are already. And it would strengthen the vampire court that did it immensely. And as a bonus to keeping it weak, having it constantly low on blood would make it hard for it to do anything.
And if it does require killing to get the effect, just kill it, raise it as an undead dragon, and use it to grab the next one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zebrin posted:

Does it require full drain, or can you drink, like, a pint of the stuff and get the effects? Because I could see this being a good reason for vampires to hunt a dragon down, capture it, and then basically drain it slowly for the whole family. Hell, maybe just install a tap.
Keeping a dragon knocked out, while slowly exsanguinating it would be hella evil... but no less so then most vampires are already. And it would strengthen the vampire court that did it immensely. And as a bonus to keeping it weak, having it constantly low on blood would make it hard for it to do anything.
And if it does require killing to get the effect, just kill it, raise it as an undead dragon, and use it to grab the next one.

That's one of the big questions for the Blood Dragons, since no one but Abhorash has supposedly done it and even then no one's certain that Abhorash actually did it or even existed. In the tabletop RPG, it's explicitly left as a "DM decides" thing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I always saw vampires, both in WHFB and elsewhere as not really draining their victims dry, but simply draining that 'vital essence' needed for someone to survive. Sure you can give a victim a blood transfusion, but once all that essence is gone they dead. It's how I think Abhorash drained that dragon- he just drank a pint, but in doing so drained the dragon's lifeforce.

Also, strengthening a vampire court's just asking for all kinds of trouble...

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The founder of the Blood Dragons got his fix, then charged all of his followers to go out and become the world's hugest asskickers so that they could earn the same reward.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

White Coke posted:

Abhorash was a pretty strong willed guy, so he had his bloodthirsty as under control as anyone could. I think it just removed the need for blood for sustenance. I don't know if it removed any of the other weaknesses. I'm inclined to say that it didn't, its just that dragons are so naturally magical that it provides the drinker all the sustenance they'd ever need. And any vampire can do it, a Necrarch named Zacharius the Everliving managed to find a Black Dragon and drink her dry.

Admittedly he wasn't at all under control when he did that. Losing the city of Lahmia drove him pretty insane and he basically decided 'gently caress it, I hate everyone and we're monsters no matter how much we pretend. C'mon, boys, let's kill whatever the hell we want.'

To this day, the orcs of the Badlands tell legends about being attacked by 'massive armies' of 'throat-rippers'. It was just Abhorash and a couple of his surviving students. He just happened to find the dragon in his insane blood rage and try to take it on, drinking it after he struck it down. Which then cured his bloodlust and basically made him sane again, as the legend goes.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Zebrin posted:

I noticed that it basically boiled down to "bury the other side in chaff, then assassinate the leadership."

I expect that it will involve much of the same against other groups, but to a lesser extent as the entire army doesn't fall apart on their leader's deaths. They get a morale penalty sure, but can keep fighting.

Yeah that's why I think it's the most boring matchup, in the early campaign and multiplayer. Future battles should have more going on than two identical looking skeletons stabbing each other. It's why I tried to focus on showing charges instead of the infantry battles.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

wiegieman posted:

To be fair to the halflings, their food is that good.

So good that sometimes it can KILL:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1995-6/cat19956p196-02.htm

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Sweet lp dude.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Lord_Magmar posted:

Vlad takes longer to get up and do his clothes/hair/make-up in the morning, thus if you play as him Isabella is already ready for the day but playing as Isabella means you have to wait for him to finish powdering his nose.

I'm not sure powder is going to help a nose like his. :)

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

I always saw vampires, both in WHFB and elsewhere as not really draining their victims dry, but simply draining that 'vital essence' needed for someone to survive. Sure you can give a victim a blood transfusion, but once all that essence is gone they dead. It's how I think Abhorash drained that dragon- he just drank a pint, but in doing so drained the dragon's lifeforce.

Also, strengthening a vampire court's just asking for all kinds of trouble...

Yeah, I read that vampires drink the magic in the blood, just as much as the blood itself, which is why they can survive just on the winds of death alone. Even though doing that drives them several steps past bonkers. So maybe that is right...

As to the whole "Strengthening the vampire courts" being a bad thing....
That is the whole point of this thread.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Trujillo, I'm going to blame you when I wife asks why I bought a game and a hundred DLCs. You make the it look drat good.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
That's not how you spell 'give credit to', BurningStone. :colbert:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Admittedly he wasn't at all under control when he did that. Losing the city of Lahmia drove him pretty insane and he basically decided 'gently caress it, I hate everyone and we're monsters no matter how much we pretend. C'mon, boys, let's kill whatever the hell we want.'

To this day, the orcs of the Badlands tell legends about being attacked by 'massive armies' of 'throat-rippers'. It was just Abhorash and a couple of his surviving students. He just happened to find the dragon in his insane blood rage and try to take it on, drinking it after he struck it down. Which then cured his bloodlust and basically made him sane again, as the legend goes.

Well that could be him giving into his blood thirst, or just deciding that he didn't care about protecting humanity anymore and going hog wild.

CommissarMega posted:

That seems the most likely explanation, although there's probably going to be some magic left in the blood that isn't drunk.

Zebrin posted:

Yeah, I read that vampires drink the magic in the blood, just as much as the blood itself, which is why they can survive just on the winds of death alone. Even though doing that drives them several steps past bonkers. So maybe that is right...

Dark magic isn't Death magic. Dark magic is when the eight winds get mushed together, or never separate when they come out of the polar gates. It's the most powerful and most unstable type of magic.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

White Coke posted:

Dark magic isn't Death magic. Dark magic is when the eight winds get mushed together, or never separate when they come out of the polar gates. It's the most powerful and most unstable type of magic.

Somewhere, a faint "heh" sound occurs in proximity to a mummified frog's corpse at that first part, and a dozen Norse sorcerers aligned with Tzeentch start vomiting highly acidic rainbows at the second.

That's definitely what the Dark Elves who invented it say is the case, though, and the acolytes of Nagash, whose necromancy was based on Dark Magic he proceeded to cut with the arcane secrets of the Mortuary Cult of Nehekara (tomb kings before they were tomb kings) are inclined to agree.

Fun vampire trivia: all Warhammer vampires descend from a queen of Nehekara who a couple centuries after they killed Nagash the first time went through his stuff, found something marked Elixir of Eternal Life and chugged it before she noticed she was in the Failed Experiments section. Still, worked out okay in the long term.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Ze Pollack posted:

Somewhere, a faint "heh" sound occurs in proximity to a mummified frog's corpse at that first part, and a dozen Norse sorcerers aligned with Tzeentch start vomiting highly acidic rainbows at the second.

High magic isn't as powerful as Dark, but it's a lot more versatile, and less corruptive. And lord Kroak is an extreme edge case. And the Chaos Gods' magic are variants of Dark magic, just like necromancy is.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also note: Chaos HATES undeath. Hates-hates-hates. Necromancy doesn't stem from any of the Gods and is inherently the power of stasis, plus things like Vampires can never actually rest. When a vampire dies, their soul is stuck in the world. This means they can be called back by a sufficiently powerful ritual, but it also means they don't go to any of the afterlives; Chaos absolutely cannot get at a vampire's soul and this pisses them off to no end.

For their part, the vamps don't like Chaos because they don't really want to see the world destroyed or the people exterminated. They want to rule the world, not blow it up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Night10194 posted:

Also note: Chaos HATES undeath. Hates-hates-hates. Necromancy doesn't stem from any of the Gods and is inherently the power of stasis, plus things like Vampires can never actually rest. When a vampire dies, their soul is stuck in the world. This means they can be called back by a sufficiently powerful ritual, but it also means they don't go to any of the afterlives; Chaos absolutely cannot get at a vampire's soul and this pisses them off to no end.

For their part, the vamps don't like Chaos because they don't really want to see the world destroyed or the people exterminated. They want to rule the world, not blow it up.
Classic Lawful Evil vs. Chaotic Evil, eh.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Classic Lawful Evil vs. Chaotic Evil, eh.

Yeah, one of the things that people are eyeing for game 2 is a counterpart to a thing we will see shortly.

Fans of the Crusader Kings series will know and fear the Mongol Hordes, who spawn around 1300 and proceed to paint the map from east to west until either Ghengis dies or someone actually manages to stop them. In Warhammer Total War, that part is played by the Legions of Chaos, who spawn in the northeast in a big event called the End Times, and proceed to destroy everything in their paths on their road south. As such, the Dwarves/Orcs, who start in the south, and Brettonia/Wood Elves, who start in the west, can usually safely ignore most of the end of the world, trusting the AI will bleed them before they get anywhere near them.

As such, one of the things that people are hoping will happen is the apocalypse out of the south, Nagash, Father Of Necromancy: He's Back, He's Pissed, And He Brought His Closest Five Million Skeleton Monstrosities With Him.

At the same time as the Chaos invasion from the north, of course, because there are rules

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turns 9-11

---

Turn 9

"They are stronger than us, smarter than us, live longer than us, and far better looking than us. They are our superiors in every respect, and the taxes are lower when they rule. When they come back I will be the first to welcome them." - Hanskarl Denk, Sylvanian

This is one of the events that will pop up randomly. With 100% vampiric corruption in Sylvania you usually won't have to worry about rebellions so at this point it would never hurt to welcome the refugees for more growth.

---

The ram is finished so the battle of the twelve bats can begin.

This is the last Vampire Count settlement so we have the option to subjugate them and make them a vassal but Drakenhof is too good to let Mannfred decide what to build there.

---

The first tier of the winery chain is built in Eschen over a demolished cemetary. Now the vines will be twice as haunted.

---

Seizing Drakenhof ranks Isabella and her attendants up and now the Barded Nightmare mount is unlocked. In some cases putting a hero on a horse will lower their combat stats a bit but the extra speed makes up for it and it's required to take this mount to unlock the next one. Putting them on a mount also gives them more mass so they can't be knocked around as easily.

---

Now that they don't have any territory left, the last Vampire Count will start to take attrition.

---

All the dark magic won from battles and sacking has been put to use developing Sylvania but there's not enough of an economy yet to afford a bloated army so the fell bats in Vlad's army are all set free into the mountains of Zhufbar.

A throng of dwarfs are assembling on the new border. The blitz into Zhufbar will have to be stalled. Vlad and Isabella might be able to scrape by against a single of their armies but two would be overwhelming.

Turn 10

The recent migration may have been Stirlanders sensing what was brewing on the Wissenland border. This means Stirland probably won't be using their armies to garrison the Moot anymore.

---

The second tech in the Book of Blood is finished. Going straight down the middle to get to Spread Vampire Covens. Each province will give +1 vampiric corruption to each neighboring province and it stacks so it'll help spread to your own and neighboring faction's provinces. Blood is Power is another good choice to get more dark magic income from cities but on higher difficulties it never hurts to start spreading corruption as early as you can.

---

The von Carstein economy has been a war economy and now that Templehof surrendered and the Vampire Counts turned to ash we'll need someone else to terrorize. Zhufbar is still having a clan reunion right across our border so Isabella moves in the direction of Karak Kadrin to see if they'd make an easier target. The strongholds of the Red Eye greenskibe tribe that they're fighting are a long way from Karak Kadrin so they could be seasons away. By moving into a settlement, your casualty replenishment rate will go up so Isabella stops over in Eschen while Vlad runs down the last Mannfred loyalist.

---

The second item picked up, Crown of Command, gives one unit 'unbreakable' for a certain amount of time which for most factions would prevent them from running. It probably stops crumbling for Vampires but I forgot to get a shot of the effects box. Not as useful as the Staff of Damnation since it's a single target item.

"While they started off as destitute nobles of Stirland, once becoming Undead, the von Carsteins have accumulated great wealth. The treasuer is in charge of the master's vaults."

---

Since some of their army retreated after the first battle it was two battles and Vlad ranked up twice. Coven of Undeath will start giving experience to every unit in the faction, including garrisons and Cloud of Horror for a little extra campaign movement.

The vampire heroes rank up too and both get more points into influential.

Turn 11

The ruined sawmill at Castle Templehof is up and running itself and the tangled vine patch in Eschen starts its first vintage.

At Drakenhof, a Cemetary is demolished since all recruitment can be done in western Sylvania. The two main options you can build at Drakenhof tier 1 are the gold mine and the mausoleum.

The gold shaft is built first since more dark magic income will be needed to support more vampires heroes anyways. They have an upkeep of around 220. The mausoleum will be built soon after when the second building slot opens up at Drakenhof. Each tier upgrade of the main settlement chain will open up a building slot until it maxes out.

---

The royal couple ends the turn by inching their way to the Slayer Keep with still no dwarf reinforcements in sight.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Elves get them drunk, dwarfs taste like ashes. Only humans are really good for them to eat.

Even when dying, the dwarf is still trying to spite the vampire. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Don't dwarves turn to stone if they try to cast a spell? That might be the reason they taste like ash... Though them being grudge bearing pricks is also a likely story...

• Locked thread