Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love Scarlet's supports. She's going to craft store your face and you are going to like it.

She'd be a terror with a bedazzling gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spatula City posted:

obviously the localization didn't intend that, but that's how it comes off to me. or maybe I hate this anime trope of dumbed-down arrested development girls. It's something lost in translation between Japan and America, I assume, as I guess this type is charming to people in Japan.

girl: im having fun
spatula city: UGH LOOK AT THIS RETARD

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I dunno. Seeing a ghost is like 10:1 odds that Nohrians are trying to gently caress your poo poo up, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Izana's gone forever, along with Kana and Kaden sidelined. Surprised Takumi is staying but thank goodness because I need him soooo badly.

Rinkah, Sakura, Hinoka, and Silas will move up and take on the right path since there's less enemies. The Berserkers on this map thankfully don't move, which is good because MAN OH MAN they hit hard.

Also, goddamnit Silas.

The Dragon Veins here freeze the water so it's basically walkable. BAD idea, as the water's the only reason why all the enemy units can't bumrush me. Even Oboro would instantly die to a mob.

Midori paves the way for Felicia to completely destroy that mage up Sorcerer up there.

Seriously, did I miss some translation joke on Merchants being the new tricksters?

Hinoka flies over to take out the other spellcaster, but gains meh. Now's not the time to be super tank.

Corrin's group moves slowly to the left, while I'm redoubling my defenses by having Oboro inch forward with Scarlet's Rally Defense.

Kaze starts out the turn by killing this reinforcing Adventurer. There's going to be more of them in the upcoming turns.

Azama continues his path to try and cap out HP and not much else.

Takumi gets a nice crit off his Fujin, and raises his two essential attributes this time.

Sakura chips in some damage to gain yet another Sakura level. The low skill is probably the biggest worry here and her resistance is surprisingly not outstanding for a magic user.

Right side is still being worked on, as the left side is about to face the main threats.

I would rather see nothing than more strength.

Alright, back on track for Silas.

Rinkah gets two rounds in with a counterkill and nets some defense. Why not, her speed's already capped so there's going to be less stats than usual in the future.

Oboro's in bad shape after taking on four enemies, though hilariously the very high level Paladin deals by far the least amount of damage. That's what you get for having balanced stats!

Goddamnit, man. Please gain some skill.

If I showed you Corrin's growths and then showed you his stats now, you'd probably be disappointed. Basically most of it went to his HP.

Kaze learned Lethality. Which can be a curse at times because Kaze at this point is the ultimate weakener for other units to get EXP.

Takumi is finally at Ryoma's level (literally). Clearly not as powerful, but he sure does hit super hard.

Also will literally never miss after learning Certain Blow. You know, useful for a character with 30 skill....

Scarlet needs to kill every once in a while before resuming support duties. Team Silas continues up the right finally.

Rinkah gets some counterkills going, gaining more defense in the process.

Very lucky the two Merchants are Azama and Midori who are the most eccentric. Imagine Sakura doing this

Pretty good. Only bad thing is that she'll basically be a low-rent Mozu until level 15 and then she'll be the most powerful character.

BIG DAMAGE

Suddenly speedster Silas now.

Welp, the house is destroyed. Had no chance to reach it without instantly dying, but the enemies are too strong for me. I'll show the scene anyways after this.

A lot of units teetering on the 20/21 speed mark.

Why is everyone suddenly gaining speed? Not that I'm complaining too much.

Somehow, Team Silas has reached the center first.

The General is just a boss in icon only. No special dialogue or anything. Just gives a ton of EXP.

Some clean-up on the remaining enemies. Disappoint.

DISAPPOINTMENT.

Third time's the charm for the Hoshido royal family.

Now that I look at it, what the hell's with all these low skills?

You are so lucky this is just Birthright.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Those were some pretty bad levels.
:darksouls:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I like how Silas has just been chillin in the active team since joining. Hes a bro, he does cav things, he gets the job done, hes not super flashy, but effective.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I think the deal with merchant's animations is that they're like villager. Not actually a soldier, just literally what their class is named. It's just it doesn't really work with Merchant seeing as they're a promoted class.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well, Villagers are nervous as hell and don't want to fight.

Apothecaries, which also promote to Merchants, are goofy as hell. They're the same class that look around and then put their hands up with the bow flying after a kill.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Wait, I thought that the house getting destroyed was a mission failure, because the kid's in there, right? This is like the reinforcements on Kana's map that I had no idea existed, so much never before seen content!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the merchants being goofy is just a joke about the merchant guy in dragon quest 4, who kind of sucked in combat and was the goofy comic relief character who wouldn't always attack when you told him to or would spend his turn staring at the female party members instead of doing anything.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
First time I ever did this mission I did not know the house being destroyed wasn't a failure condition. I also wanted to train up some lower level units/work on those S rank supports.

It turned the map into an interesting puzzle; racing against the clock with a rather weak team.

SO many resets.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Endorph posted:

I think the merchants being goofy is just a joke about the merchant guy in dragon quest 4, who kind of sucked in combat and was the goofy comic relief character who wouldn't always attack when you told him to or would spend his turn staring at the female party members instead of doing anything.

I don't know what you're talking about, Taloon/Torneko was amazing. He was the best parts of the Goof-Off and Merchant classes smushed into one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So Mitama's paralogue is probably one of the hardest to do if you do it late game. To recruit her in battle, you have to have Azama visit the house three times.. All for a small benefit.

Here's the three visits.

(First Visit)

Mitama? Knock knock! It's your father. Are you home?
Wh-who?
Oh, you are home. Could you come to the door, please? It's only fair that you join us outside. Or let us all in. Either way.
Who? What now? Off with you. I'm enjoying a lovely snooze...
Oh, my! Did she fall back asleep?

(Second Visit)

Mitama? Please open up. My knuckles are getting sore from knocking.
Who's there? Didn't I say to go away? I don't want any! Haven't you a higher calling than to trouble my door? Mayhaps you should place yourself in a prostrate position, then perish?
How strange. Explain yourself, Mitama.
How can I make it any clearer? Lay down and die!
Ah! That most certainly is you, Daughter. I'd know that sharp tongue anywhere. It's your father, Mitama.
Open up, pretty please. I'm getting rude stares. People don't understand why you won't let me in. Me? I could stand here all day and banter with you. Great fun. Still, I'd rather not knock a third time.
Mitama...?

(Third Visit or end of battle)

Did you bring all these hooligans who've been making so much noise?
Blissfully unaware, as always. Nice to see you too, Daughter.
Yes, well, I've been asleep. Or trying to. But all this noise out here!
Oh my. What a dreamer! You might have slept through your house being razed. Good thing I had the common sense to get here as fast I could.
I understand. You're saving me. That's worth waking up for. Or at least it's haiku worthy.

Good night, Father.
Good night, my left foot! Have you taken a look around? It's not night! And it's not good - not with your village being under attack!
Outside, now. If I have to battle, you have to battle.
What? Why?
Dear Daughter, do I really need to explain? You're brighter than most. It's time that your laziness is forged into the will to fight. Besides, I need you to heal me up if I scuff my knee.
You woke me for this? I guess this too is haiku worthy.

Ugh, I guess I'll help. Now where did I put that rod? Oh, yes. There.
Hmm... Oh, dear, I've never seen a filthier apparatus. What HAVE you been stirring with this, Daughter?
It'll have to do. Ready to help?
OK, I guess. Just a moment...

And here's a scene only if you visited her house three times and then ended the battle

Oh. Is someone injured? (Moves to Corrin; heals Corrin)
Whoa, just look at that. What initiative! Tending to the wounded without even being nagged? Remarkable!
Whew. Healing people is exhausting.
Well done, Mitama.
Yes, it was, wasn't it? Now, good night.

*Azama blocks her way*

Oh? Where do you think you're going?
Very funny, Father. Inside to bed, of course. Since all of those obnoxious visitors are gone, I can get back to sleep.
Is it funny, how you think you're just going to hit the hay after being so useful!
No, dear Daughter. You're going to accompany us.
What?!
All right. Let's go. No complaining. As they say; those that idle away their lives are looking for trouble.
Trouble rarely travels alone. You see, Father? Anyone can spout that stuff and sound smart. I'm not buying it. I'll surely get into far more misadventures with you. Oh, well...
What use is trying? / Fathers are always prying. / Daughters, complying.
Far better to sleep. / Far off in the starry night. / Far from Azama.
Good night to freedom. / Good night to aspirations. / Good night to my dreams.
Huh. What do you know? Three haiku? All at once?! Traveling with Father might actually be inspiring.

Unit Joined, Class Overview

Mitama

Class sets: Starts as Shrine Maiden, Archer, Apothecary
PSkill: Haiku-At the start of the Turn, when two allies are directly above and below Mitama, Mitama recovers 7 HP, while the the two allies recover 5 HP

Growth Rates (as a Priestess)
HP: 47.5
STR: 40
MAG: 27.5
SKL: 42.5
SPD: 70
LCK: 55
DEF: 22.5
RES: 50

Mitama certainly has one of the more...needlessly complicated PSkills for little gain. You get a fancy heal, but requires some seriously specific positioning and that ends up not being worth it. Setsuna being her mother means she will gain speed and only speed for the most part. Thankfully for her, Priestess has a high strength increase so she's already suitable for bow frontlining. Even more so thanks to Renewal and high resistance growth, she's effectively another Mage killer.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You can bring a Second Seal and reclass Mitama before the end of the chapter - the game doesn't account for it st all and still tries to have her heal you in that cutscene. I don't remember exactly what happened, just that it was vaguely amusing but the game soldiered on.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Tae posted:

PSkill: Haiku-At the start of the Turn, when two allies are directly above and below Mitama, Mitama recovers 7 HP, while the the two allies recover 5 HP

Okay, that's cute.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Mitama - By default, she's more magically-inclined than her father, which would make her equally viable as a Priestess or an Onmyoji; as usual for the children, however, her performance varies depending on her mother. Her personal's annoyingly situational, though; in my experience, it's not often that you get three units lined up vertically unless you deliberately set it up that way, and Mitama needing to be in the middle of that just makes the conditions even less likely to be fulfilled. I'm not fond of her as a character, unfortunately, partly due to her tendency to insult people, partly due to her laziness (I'm lazy myself, but she takes it too far), and partly due to her haiku obsession (a poet I am not).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, pink was not the hair color I was expecting for her.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, pink was not the hair color I was expecting for her.

Indeed. It's even pinker than Felicia's. In fact, I don't think ANYONE has that shade of pink, possibly including the Avatar's color choices.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The other quirky thing about Mitama is that it's more than likely she inherited her star-shaped pupils from her father, meaning Azama has those same pupils as well. She's also the only character in the game with a distinct portrait change that's not one of the usual "eyes/mouth/brow" changes, wherein she snaps her brush in half as part of her angry portrait.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

The other quirky thing about Mitama is that it's more than likely she inherited her star-shaped pupils from her father, meaning Azama has those same pupils as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This is possibly the dumbest and most useless chapter yet, and that's saying something.

Well, finally back here. This is the place where Kaze and Rinkah were let go a loooong time ago.

Yes. I'm finally back... It feels like it's been a lifetime. I never got to spend much time out here. I was always locked away. Still, being so close to the castle. It feels like...returning home. *sigh*

It's so empty and quiet here. It's like the complete opposite of Hoshido.
Yes, it's hard to believe that this is the capital city of a major kingdom.
Believe it. I'm afraid that the city has been this way for quite some time now. Most regular folks just stay indoors. That way they won't be harassed by brigands or roving Faceless...
That's just how it is in Nohr.

Considering Silas has been with us since basically the beginning of Corrin's alliance with Hoshido, this means it's been like this forever.

Is that so?
Yes, I'm afraid so. Remember the Woods of the Forlorn? How the trees arched and craned to soak up every possible bit of light?

I'm laughing hard right now.

That's why our kingdom learned to fight and conquer other countries to prosper. We're like those trees, searching for the sun and trying to survive as best as we can.
That's terrible. Coming from the fruitful land of Hoshido, I had no idea... When this war ends, we'll have to see what we can do to share our resources.

I'm still laughing at literal "We don't even have enough SUNLIGHT!"

Of course. As the next of kin, I will naturally ascend the throne once I return to Hoshido. And my first priority as king will be revising our foreign policy toward Nohr. We have an abundance of food in Hoshido. More than we can even consume. Why should our neighbors suffer while we live in excess?

This world is hilariously favoring Hoshido that it's basically comedy. This is basically jealously because one side has barely any sun and the other side literally goes "We have TOO much food, we don't know what to do with it!"

That's much appreciated, milord. You are an inspiration!
I am prepared to give up my own life to fight for you.

Silas, you are a bad knight regardless of how evil Nohr is

Thank you, Silas. I appreciate your support.
Thank you both. It's things like this that keep my dream of peace between Nohr and Hoshido alive.

Who are you?
Never mind that. This is the bad part of town, kiddo.
You shouldn't be walking around here by yourselves. After all, you're might run into some real bad characters. Not unlike...us. Heh, heh.
Us? What are you talking about—
Oh.

I don't think these are Nohrian soldiers, though...
Argh! we don't have time for this!
The hell are you mumbling about? Now, we can make this nice and easy. Just give us all of your valuables, including that fancy-lookin' sword there...
It looks like we have no choice. Get ready for battle, everyone!

They're not even pretending anymore. It's a full-on open combat arena.

Bench 2, least voted gets permanent spot: http://www.strawpoll.me/12677979

Keep in mind I now have unlimited heart seals, so if you want to do anything different, I'll see the demand.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It's kind of lol-worthy that not only is Nohr a shithole in a way Thracia could only dream of (WE LITERALLY HAVE NO SUN, THATS WHY WE'RE THE DARK KINGDOM), but that the goddamn capital is overrun by the Obligatory Chapter 1 Fire Emblem Bandits.

Also take bets on how often this comes up in Conquest!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It's like the writers put down all the descriptions of Nohr and then thought everything sounded rational and clear. When in fact the execution is so hilarious it loops around and becomes stupid. I mean, Hoshido has border forts and potentially (only assuming here because it never really gets mentioned) a ninja spy network; why did none of those troops ever report on how the sky over their neighbors is almost constantly pitch black or report on how little resources there are in Nohr? This is prime world-building material that should have been brought up by now, not in a single conversation in the back end of Birthright. Just chalk this up to yet another thing the editors (and especially the writers in this case) should have paid attention to but chose not to for whatever dumb reason.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I love the turrets and magic shooters set up in the middle of the roads in Nohr's capital, just pointing at the street to make it easier to slaughter people taking a stroll.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Somehow I missed this support so here's just C-A of Orochi/Ryoma

You think me dull.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
This chapter really just makes me feel bad for Nohr. They live in a barely hospitable shithole, dominated by a spy network of their perfect enemies across the border who has more food and light then they could ever need. I'm not even sure what more you could pile onto to Nohr to make them seem more pathetic. Do we learn that the people of Nohr also commit genocide against the laguz and so we also should super double hate them or some poo poo?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Space Bat posted:

Do we learn that the people of Nohr also commit genocide against the laguz and so we also should super double hate them or some poo poo?
Nope, we were the ones committing the genocide on the Wolfskins! No really, we straight-up annihilated Keaton and his pack back when we faced him on Mount Garou. As far as Birthright is concerned, all Wolfskin are gone for good thanks to Corrin's actions.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This kinda setting worked a lot better as North and South Thracia.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I was just going through Fort Dragonwhatever in my own file, and I found that...the faceless never stopped spawning. I brought the B-team since they needed levels and supports, and I was able to promote 3 people and gained what must have been 40 levels throughout. Is there an actual limit, or could I have farmed until the cows came home?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Crosspeice posted:

This kinda setting worked a lot better as North and South Thracia.

It helped that over the course of 776 you get to learn more about Thracia and why it sucks. Even something as simple as the chapter in Dagda's village where everyone wants to cut and go back to being bandits goes a long way to establish the desperation of living there. Thracia felt like a lovely place to live and while you didn't like them, you could understand Travant's reasons for being an rear end in a top hat.

Nohr just manages to come off as both ridiculously evil and unbelievably pathetic. The leaders are insane or ignorant toadies or just evil for no reason. Not once have I ever felt Hoshido was in the wrong, not once have I ever thought "well drat, maybe Nohr has a point." It just feels like a bunch of glorious samurai ubermensch stomping on the loser goths' sandcastle because THEY STARTED IT.

Space Bat fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 5, 2017

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Jesus those growth rates. Fates took a nerf bat to not only that but also Aptitude after how ludicrously powerful it was across the board in Awakening. It makes for some frustrating level ups, even though everyone has the ability to "purchase" Aptitude from online castles now.

Why the gently caress is the issue of Nohr not having enough food and needing to expand to feed its population only briefly commented on in the Birthright route?

Tae, you've inspired me to do another playthrough of FE:Fates. I can at last finish up all those support logs I never got around to filling out!

what have you made me do

LEGO Genetics fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 5, 2017

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Fates growths really aren't that bad. On the growth units, they range from like 300% total (Setsuna, I think) to like 400% (Saizo).

They look especially good since I've been looking at FE2 growths recently in preperation for the next FE. Boy, the growth total average in that average is probably like 140.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

AradoBalanga posted:

It's like the writers put down all the descriptions of Nohr and then thought everything sounded rational and clear. When in fact the execution is so hilarious it loops around and becomes stupid. I mean, Hoshido has border forts and potentially (only assuming here because it never really gets mentioned) a ninja spy network; why did none of those troops ever report on how the sky over their neighbors is almost constantly pitch black or report on how little resources there are in Nohr? This is prime world-building material that should have been brought up by now, not in a single conversation in the back end of Birthright. Just chalk this up to yet another thing the editors (and especially the writers in this case) should have paid attention to but chose not to for whatever dumb reason.

Given how adept Nohr is at illusion magic, any reports of a land where the sun never shone because of overly-aggressive trees was probably going to be written off as just mage-written propaganda.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

You think me dull.

Ryoma takes everything too seriously, Orochi gives every sign of not taking things seriously enough, and if they were actually related I'd think Sakura inherited Mikoto's sweet tooth. Kind of bad writing that most of her character development is post-mortem, though; what we see is basically "generic anime mother."

Rogue 7 posted:

I was just going through Fort Dragonwhatever in my own file, and I found that...the faceless never stopped spawning. I brought the B-team since they needed levels and supports, and I was able to promote 3 people and gained what must have been 40 levels throughout. Is there an actual limit, or could I have farmed until the cows came home?

No limit; it's actually possible to grind your way to 20/20 on everyone if you're patient enough (though I wouldn't recommend it; the experience gain is pretty bad).

Mysticblade posted:

Fates growths really aren't that bad. On the growth units, they range from like 300% total (Setsuna, I think) to like 400% (Saizo).

They look especially good since I've been looking at FE2 growths recently in preperation for the next FE. Boy, the growth total average in that average is probably like 140.

For the record, each character's total growths before modifiers (classes or Aptitude) thus far are as follows, in the order they joined...

Corrin: 310
Felicia: 260
Kaze: 280
Rinkah: 255
Sakura: 310
Azura: 310
Hana: 265
Subaki: 250 (the story says he's perfect, but his growths put him on a pretty low tier)
Silas: 285
Saizo: 335
Orochi: 275
Mozu: 285
Hinoka: 305
Azama: 310
Setsuna: 225
Hayato: 315 (surprisingly high, but his starting level is TRASH)
Oboro: 280
Hinata: 235 (yes, my repeated assertions that Hinata is trash are actually backed up statistically)
Takumi: 285 (no wonder he's got an inferiority complex- Takumi has the worst overall growths out of all the royals except possibly the kids)
Kagero: 260
Reina: 195 (worst growths in Birthright)
Kaden: 290
Ryoma: 290
Scarlet: 270 (surprisingly high for a pre-promoted Corrinsexual)
Jakob: 265
Kana: (275 + 305) / 2 = 290
Shigure: (250 + 335) / 2 = 292.5
Asugi: (335 + 310) / 2 = 322.5
Midori: (275 + 310) / 2 = 292.5
Mitama: (315 + 225) / 2 = 270 (Setsuna is quantifiably the worst mother for your eugenics program)

So yeah, Birthright growths are kind of all over the place.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
I don't get why the Faceless are such a menace to Nohrian civilians. Aren't they summoned by mages, and are not random monsters? What, does Nohr have a club of rear end in a top hat wizards who summon Faceless Gangs out on the streets for shits and giggles?

I can at least see the effects of a land where the sun never shines. Even putting aside ecological effects, not seeing sunlight for long periods of time can really screw people up mentally. Which... Would make Nohr into an entire land of darkness addled lunatics... That might explain alot...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Emperordaein posted:

I don't get why the Faceless are such a menace to Nohrian civilians. Aren't they summoned by mages, and are not random monsters? What, does Nohr have a club of rear end in a top hat wizards who summon Faceless Gangs out on the streets for shits and giggles?

It's explicitly stated early on (like, before the route split) that the mages have little control over the Faceless, and that they are sometimes killed by their own creations. Of course, this may just be Hoshidan propaganda, but I haven't seen much reason to doubt it (the two who have shown themselves to be capable of controlling Faceless are Leo, who is stated to be a prodigy, and Iago, who is Garon's right-hand man and thus probably one of his strongest subordinates).

Emperordaein posted:

I can at least see the effects of a land where the sun never shines. Even putting aside ecological effects, not seeing sunlight for long periods of time can really screw people up mentally. Which... Would make Nohr into an entire land of darkness addled lunatics... That might explain alot...

I think they just wanted to go with a "light vs. darkness" metaphor, and took things too literally without actually going through with it all the way; if Nohr was as hellish as they're trying to make it out to be, it'd probably be literally uninhabitable.

Also, I just realized that I forgot Izana's growth total in my above list; his is 295. Pretty impressive, especially for a weirdo like him.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Not so much a metaphor when the kingdoms names in japanese are dark kingdom and white kingdom

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they're anya and byakuya in the jp version. 'dark night kingdom' and 'white night kingdom' are more like titles.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Endorph posted:

they're anya and byakuya in the jp version. 'dark night kingdom' and 'white night kingdom' are more like titles.

Actually, "Anya-okoku" literally translates to "Dark Night Kingdom" according to the online translator I'm using (yes, I know, don't trust them, or at least take them with a grain of salt) while "Byakuya-okoku" literally translates to "White Night Kingdom."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, that's what they literally translate to, but it's Byakuya and Anya, proper nouns. Like how a person can be named Byakuya but that wouldn't mean their name is 'White night,' it'd mean that their name is Byakuya and that is the meaning of their name. The translators you're using are spitting out the literal meaning of the kanji used in the names.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 5, 2017

• Locked thread