Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Whether it's a $10 toy or a $500 collectible is kind of the key factor...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's the latter, the seiko they only made a thousand of lol

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

One of the characters is literally Knuckles but not red.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Since Persona 5 didn't come in, I ended up playing a game of Twilight Struggle. If that isn't the best direct board game adaptation on Steam, I don't know what is

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't give a hot gay gently caress critics say.

Yooka Laylee looks fun, dude!!

Chargrilled Face
Nov 4, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't give a hot gay gently caress critics say.

Yooka Laylee looks fun, dude!!

The amount of Banjo hatred has shocked me, personally!!!

Edit: Those games are loving humble!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

Don't worry, the person whining about the translation is doing their own edited versions of the translation that is both more inaccurate and sounds worse.

Yes, the professional translator is going to waste time doing fan edits.

I can't believe how stupid you are sometimes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember a few years ago a goon was championing some FF6 translation that made all the characters' dialogue like they were in Reservoir Dogs. It was sincerely embarrassing to read and whenever people criticize localization I always think it's probably because there's not enough curse words in the dialogue or something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, the professional translator is going to waste time doing fan edits.

I can't believe how stupid you are sometimes.

https://twitter.com/verdelishJP/sta...pagenumber%3D61

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

drat, I am owned.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Whoa wait is the rumor system back in p5?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I remember a few years ago a goon was championing some FF6 translation that made all the characters' dialogue like they were in Reservoir Dogs. It was sincerely embarrassing to read and whenever people criticize localization I always think it's probably because there's not enough curse words in the dialogue or something.

There's a lot of reasons to criticize localizations, some are valid and some aren't. I'm pretty against "transliteration", because everything ends up sounding super awkward and unnatural. It's pretty common to see fan translations err on the side of "accuracy" and make scripts where everyone sounds like a robot that only kind of understands english. Some of them get really upset if official translations don't take that route, and even more upset if they do things like localize references or jokes so that a non-Japanese audience can possibly understand it.

Personally I think injecting some personality and turning specific references to Japanese streets or TV shows I've never heard of into something I can understand is preferable, but then I'm not a Japanophile. I also think there's more value in camp than in taking something really goofy 100% seriously, which is something localization can greatly affect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIQCrVUrZU

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 5, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

I'm pretty against "transliteration", because everything ends up sounding super awkward and unnatural. It's pretty common to see fan translations err on the side of "accuracy" and make fan translations where everyone sounds like a robot that only kind of understands english.

That's exactly what people are criticizing the official translation for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

That's exactly what people are criticizing the official translation for.

Ye.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Sorry, I thought you were one of the people saying that the translation was not bad, and in fact, good. I don't know what everyone's stance is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Sorry, I thought you were one of the people saying that the translation was not bad, and in fact, good. I don't know what everyone's stance is.

I didn't play the video game, I just saw those examples that seemed kinda bad. I also mentioned that apparently they're mostly in the early game so the game's translation is overall fine. But apparently pointing out a few bad lines makes some people really upset.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Would you say censorship is a form of localization?

If so, excessive unneeded censorship is a dumb kind of localization.

I've been played La Pucelle Tactics and the censorship in that game is just so stupid lmao

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's less that people are annoyed by "the translation is kind of mediocre" or "there's some awkward lines", and more by other things people have been saying, like that the English translation ruins what would otherwise be a perfect game or that the writing is "incomprehensible gibberish" in English

loving nobody likes nitpicky nerds or Internet hyperbole, especially the kind that inadvertently reveals the person saying it to not know what they're talking about (either because they don't understand how good localization works or they're bordering on illiterate and can't understand a game's dialogue and story if it's not written like a network sitcom)

Baku fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 5, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FirstAidKite posted:

I've been played La Pucelle Tactics and the censorship in that game is just so stupid lmao

Can't allow any crosses in a game just in case.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

If the goal was to rearrange the words while keeping it stilted and awkward, mission accomplished I guess. I don't know why a person would want to do that though.

Sakurazuka posted:

Holy->White is one of the weirded instances of this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress.

Like, ok, I understand the thought process behind "There's this game called Disgaea that did well, we should publish one of their other titles over here to try to get in on that same niche market."

But they chose a game that is literally filled to the brim with religious imagery. And then they removed 99% of the religious imagery. On top of that, the game that inspired them to pick up the rights to La Pucelle was fuckin Disgaea, a game that takes place in hell and is about demons. They were afraid that religious groups would ruin their game's sales so they had to censor it. And also remove the cigarette that Croix smokes so instead he is just taking a drag on thin air and breathing out smoke.

Like, imagine a world where Resident Evil got released outside of Japan but Dino Crisis didn't, and someone saw the positive responses to Resident Evil and decided to pick up the rights for Dino Crisis, but then also took out all of the blood and gore to avoiding making religious organizations mad.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
"To think a prison would appear as such."

I like that line a lot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

like culturally that's a p interesting question. back in the snes days when references to western religion were gratuitous and some topics were sanitized to suit the by-and-large younger audience for games in western countries, sure. but it rarely changed the overall meaning and didn't really impact your ability to enjoy it in or out of conext; it was sort of timeless in that sense. while "you spoony bard" was elevated to a meme by the internet oldguard, it still technically parses in english and it's archaic af, just like tellah.

i guess it depends on the execution. mild censorship done cleverly or even just sanitizing a situation is--there's an art to doing it well. changing suicide to "leap of faith" is... it wasn't optimal, but sometimes you get some really unfortunate source material to work with. changing hard-to-translate puns to bill clinton or toilet humor is juvenille, but sometimes it's that or you make liz and ard. and then just making someone talk in memes because you're lazy and you grew up on the internet and never matured socially but got work as a translator anyway, that's just trashy.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 5, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Removing skeevy stuff is absolutely part of localization, and an important one at that. Sure, a lot of times it can come off as stupid (He's drinking grape juice!) or go so far that it makes the game incomprehensible but I'm thankful for things like characters being put in gross sexual situations being turned 18 or removing dialogue where characters talk about wanting to gently caress children, or that one game where they drew towels onto the 10 year old girls bathing.

It can be difficult to know where to draw the line, especially if the target audiences are in a different age group in different countries, but I think that now that we're out of the "Nintendo is for Good Christian Boys and Girls" era, so-called censorship in localized games is mostly a force for good. And people who lose their minds about outfits being made less revealing in the west are extremely suspicious to me.

The best is when the cleaning up involves removing tedious mini-games, ala Yakuza 3.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
VaginaBonesGate is still the funniest localization fan outrage in recent years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mahjong and shogi were cool mini-games.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGames posted:

"To think a prison would appear as such."

I like that line a lot.

Yeah, that's a good example of a thing where someone who has a problem with it must only be either expressing their distaste for how a character speaks, or demonstrating their own poor grasp of language.

It reminds me of how there's a contingent of people who absolutely hate Alexander O Smith's localizations of games like Vagrant Story, because he always gives them a weird Elizabethan tone, but it actually gives those games a ton of personality and character and creates more memorable dialogue overall at the expense of the occasional awkward or unwieldy sentence. They're way better for that kind of translation, not worse, and sometimes what people describe as a "stilted tone" or whatever is just a work of fiction having tone at all.

There's a type of person who's really obsessed with naturalistic dialogue that sounds like contemporary American English and thinks that's the only way things should be written, and they drive me up the loving wall with how wrong they are.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I actually like quite a few of the lines people are complaining about, they sound very theatrical in an over the top game, that fits for me.
Not gonna get mad on Twitter about it or anything though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah, that's a good example of a thing where someone who has a problem with it must only be either expressing their distaste for how a character speaks, or demonstrating their own poor grasp of language.

It reminds me of how there's a contingent of people who absolutely hate Alexander O Smith's localizations of games like Vagrant Story, because he always gives them a weird Elizabethan tone, but it actually gives those games a ton of personality and character and creates more memorable dialogue overall at the expense of the occasional awkward or unwieldy sentence. They're way better for that kind of translation, not worse, and sometimes what people describe as a "stilted tone" or whatever is just a work of fiction having tone at all.

There's a type of person who's really obsessed with naturalistic dialogue that sounds like contemporary American English and thinks that's the only way things should be written, and they drive me up the loving wall with how wrong they are.

You sure are projecting a lot of things on people who disagree with you about translation.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
People hate the mock-Elizabethan? :psyduck:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm still sad they removed the Olde English from Frog's dialogue in the DS port of Chrono Trigger.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Thee" and "thou" were the informal form of "you" so a chivalrous froggy knight shouldn't be using them all the time

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
I'm not a native English speaker, and I'm not good at noticing badly written sentences.
but the fact that they translated "yoroshiku onegaisimashu" to "Please take care of me" makes me think the weird lines are not by a stylistic choice

game seems good and fun tho

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

"Thee" and "thou" were the informal form of "you" so a chivalrous froggy knight shouldn't be using them all the time

Yeah yeah, there's lots of reasons it didn't really make sense for him to talk like that, but it was great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one else in the past talked like Frog.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Let's make sure we get the chivalrous frog knight dialog historically accurate in the time travel game not set on earth.

He had personality. It didn't make sense but then, it didn't really have to.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

No one else in the past talked like Frog.

nobody else in termina talked like zappa, either

or el noche, or korcha, or...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you're gonna include an anthropomorphic animal in your video game, you better be drat sure that at least 20% of their dialogue is relevant animal puns

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
New computer is arriving today, I was going to pick out a few games on Steam but I've just realised how long it's been since I last bought anything. The most recent new game I bought is Undertale. If I only count AAA stuff it's a PS3 game, probably Skyrim. I'm thinking I'll start off with Dark Souls 3 since it's half price and Night in the Woods. Say a prayer for my bank account, it's in for a rough week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

If people like this are going to 'correct' a localization, they should actually do a good job at it, or else they are banned from doing any localization work ever again. Even whatever latest visual novel that only like 10 people care about should be off limits.

• Locked thread