Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I put an M97xE on my dual 1237, you can probably just about any modern cartridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Peas and Rice posted:

Speaking of old vintage poo poo: my dad asked me if I wanted his United Audio DUAL 1225 turntable from the cretaceous period. Of course I said yes because it's covered in wood grain and looks baller as gently caress, and I have great memories of listening to it as a kid. That being said, it works but needs a new cartridge (or at least a new stylus). What's a good place to find something that works with something this old?

The turntable in question:

That's a standard half inch mount headshell so any new cartridge with a half inch mount will work.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Titus Andronicus has some early 7"s up on their website now. Not sure how long they've been listed or how hard they are to find otherwise but I went ahead and grabbed them and a copy of Airing of Grievances because I never got a physical release of that.

Also sales of their lives album are benefiting Shea Stadium though 4/20. :420:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Also sales of their lives album are benefiting Shea Stadium though 4/20. :420:

....what?

They pulled Shea down years ago?

In other news, what?

http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/9528

...just buy Kings and Hemispheres. They're good records. Why would you buy this?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I would buy that

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Allen Wren posted:

....what?

In other news, what?

...just buy Kings and Hemispheres. They're good records. Why would you buy this?

shea stadium is a diy space in bk

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Allen Wren posted:

....what?

In other news, what?

it's now a little DIY space in an attic of a warehouse in brooklyn

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
New Com Truise is up for preorder if that's your bag:

Bandcamp (not sure what version)
Newbury Comics (some exclusive color poo poo)
His site (some other exclusive color poo poo)

Newbury also has a repress of Galactic Melt

And Ghostly Store has a repress of In Decay

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: 50th Anniversary double-LP

quote:

The album is newly mixed by Giles Martin and engineer Sam Okell in stereo, sourced directly from the four-track masters at Abbey Road Studios in London, and guided by the original, Beatles-preferred mono mix produced by his father, George Martin.
This expanded 180-gram 2LP vinyl gatefold package features the new stereo album mix on the first LP and adds a second LP with previously unreleased alternate takes for each of the album's 13 songs, newly mixed in stereo and sequenced in the same order as the album.

(There's also a 4-CD/1 DVD/1 Blu-Ray edition with the new stereo mix in lossless and high-res, lossless 5.1, mono mix on CD, plus 33 alternate takes, promo films, and a 144-page book)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
drat you 1-click shipping

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think you can disable 1-click shipping

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Egbert Souse posted:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: 50th Anniversary double-LP

(There's also a 4-CD/1 DVD/1 Blu-Ray edition with the new stereo mix in lossless and high-res, lossless 5.1, mono mix on CD, plus 33 alternate takes, promo films, and a 144-page book)

I love the Beatles, but $150 for the deluxe package? Ouch!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Do people really care about the special feature crap on all these classic rock box sets? like is dad that amped to listen to 33 outtakes of the same 10 Beatles songs?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Not to mention that sgt peppers is halfway garbage music. I don't need to when I'm 64 again ever, I don't care that it's a new mix. But I guess I would be pissed if I accidentally bought an over priced box set because of 1-click shipping.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A human heart posted:

Do people really care about the special feature crap on all these classic rock box sets? like is dad that amped to listen to 33 outtakes of the same 10 Beatles songs?

I'd imagine there are more obsessives for this than for the Pet Sounds Sessions 20 years ago and it did OK.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
people love boring safe poo poo

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005
Some recent pickups. Very stoked about the Lambchop album. My favourite record by one of my favourite bands. Picked it up for a fraction of what it goes for online too, which was nice.

Hail Homestead Records.

I need to be better at photographing records.

U-Men - Stop Spinning
Bastro - Diablo Guapo
Live Skull - Dont' Get Any on You
Staer - The Collapse Of Ancient Funk

The Sonora Pine - S/T
Roomrunner - Super Vague
VA - Helvete Underground Compilation (Swiss post punk/no wave label)
Isaac Hayes - ...To Be Continued

Sex Swing - S/T
Lambchop - What Another Man Spills
Erase Errata - At Crystal Palace
Merchandise - Children of Desire

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I like the Beatles, and I think Sgt. Pepper's is a fine album (not as good as Abbey Road or Revolver), but I'm not climbing the walls for a fancy-pants new edition of the thing. Especially not in stereo. The extra material is nice, but I feel weird about the whole "here's an parallel-universe version of the record made from the second-best takes" thing. Just do an outtakes record if you want to contextualize the recording sessions that badly. I am probably neither going to buy nor hear this package, and I am totally fine with that.

These days, yeah, I occasionally buy records that I've heard before that I think will sound good on the big system in the living room (most recent example, the recent repressing of the Melvins' Houdini) but more often than not, I'm looking to buy stuff I haven't heard before. With the cost of the drat things, the more conservative route may be more reasonable to some, that way you're only buying stuff that you know won't hate and be a total waste of cash, but where the gently caress's the fun in that?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
"Newly mixed Beatles" is the same bullshit as "Star Wars Special Edition."

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have like 2/3rds of the Beatles albums and Sgt. Pepper was kind of groundbreaking for its time. I have no regrets dropping 38 bucks for a pristine copy. Also gently caress bothering to wire up a mono setup. I even have the connectors but it is a hassle.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

You only really need Abbey Road tho. The rest of the beatles albums are superfluous.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Digging a latrine is groundbreaking too.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
In other news, Boomkat has a new Caretaker album up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

revmoo posted:

I have like 2/3rds of the Beatles albums and Sgt. Pepper was kind of groundbreaking for its time. I have no regrets dropping 38 bucks for a pristine copy. Also gently caress bothering to wire up a mono setup. I even have the connectors but it is a hassle.

There's already an all analog remaster of the mono version that's been out for a while. You don't need any special set up to listen to mono records.

BigFactory posted:

Digging a latrine is groundbreaking too.

I know it's hip to poo poo on the Beatles now, but that album in particular made use a bunch of things that would become popular and/or essential to recorded music over the next few decades into the present day. They basically improvised the type of multi-tracking that is common place now before the technology existed and they were using samples before that was a thing. They also made use of early synthesizers. I agree that the Beatles discography is over played, but Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is an essential piece of rock history. We don't really need a 150 dollar mega box set with recordings of George Harrison making coffee but pretending it's not an important album is dumb.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

There's already an all analog remaster of the mono version that's been out for a while. You don't need any special set up to listen to mono records.

I know it's hip to poo poo on the Beatles now, but that album in particular made use a bunch of things that would become popular and/or essential to recorded music over the next few decades into the present day. They basically improvised the type of multi-tracking that is common place now before the technology existed and they were using samples before that was a thing. They also made use of early synthesizers. I agree that the Beatles discography is over played, but Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is an essential piece of rock history. We don't really need a 150 dollar mega box set with recordings of George Harrison making coffee but pretending it's not an important album is dumb.

Most of the songs on it are bad.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

revmoo posted:

Also gently caress bothering to wire up a mono setup. I even have the connectors but it is a hassle.

what

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Maybe he meant a quad setup.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm starting to think dude is just a lowkey troll

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
please, dont insult us

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You guys are ignorant as poo poo about vinyl setups lmao

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

A human heart posted:

It's basically the audio equivalent of "How It's Made". You can listen to early takes and get an idea of how the final song is constructed.

Lennon was a Beatles bootleg collector. He said if you really wanted to know what the Beatles sounded like, listen to the bootlegs.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
For mono it's common to wire the left and right channels together into your receiver or something like that.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Super happy to get nice copies of these two longish yazz wants:

Smoke: Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-c8Usoa6s

Descendants of Mike and Phoebe: A Spirit Speaks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY1DL1nbJvI

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 6, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's basically the audio equivalent of "How It's Made". You can listen to early takes and get an idea of how the final song is constructed.

Lennon was a Beatles bootleg collector. He said if you really wanted to know what the Beatles sounded like, listen to the bootlegs.

He also pats himself on the back for not beating his wife any more, on sgt peppers of all records

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BigFactory posted:

He also pats himself on the back for not beating his wife any more, on sgt peppers of all records

Well, he definitely had his issues.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

some new pickups and deliveries from the last two weeks. got some good stuff coming in too (two Soulwax records, new Gorillaz and new Little Dragon releases)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BigFactory posted:

That is Paul McCartney! Lennon would rather see his girlfriend dead than with another man. Get your misogyny correct.

But also, is this what we're going to do, now? Like, it's cool if you don't like Sgt. Peppers. But you can still acknowledge that it was an important work and well executed. And it might be interesting to take a look behind the curtain and see what treasures lay there.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

who gives a poo poo

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Lungs posted:

Some recent pickups. Very stoked about the Lambchop album. My favourite record by one of my favourite bands. Picked it up for a fraction of what it goes for online too, which was nice.

Hail Homestead Records.

I need to be better at photographing records.

U-Men - Stop Spinning
Bastro - Diablo Guapo
Live Skull - Dont' Get Any on You
Staer - The Collapse Of Ancient Funk

The Sonora Pine - S/T
Roomrunner - Super Vague
VA - Helvete Underground Compilation (Swiss post punk/no wave label)
Isaac Hayes - ...To Be Continued

Sex Swing - S/T
Lambchop - What Another Man Spills
Erase Errata - At Crystal Palace
Merchandise - Children of Desire
Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boinks posted:

Maybe he meant a quad setup.

I'm guessing he is referring to a mono cartridge. I've never actually used one or heard records played with one, so I can't really say what the specific benefits are. That said, if you look at old mono records they all "playable on all modern stereophonic turntables" or some such thing. So you know, it's obviously not necessary.

Radio Spiricom posted:

who gives a poo poo

Judging from the fact that there are millions of copies of that album in circulation and that there is enough interest in making a release with all that old unreleased stuff, I'd say a lot of people.