Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The White Dragon posted:

nobody else in termina talked like zappa, either

or el noche, or korcha, or...

I haven't played much Chrono Trigger so I just spent way too long trying to figure out who in Majora's Mask talks like Frank Zappa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

those edited translations aren't very good !! 😤

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i am glad that they translate what i suspect were originally manga and anime to comic book and cartoon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

i am glad that they translate what i suspect were originally manga and anime to comic book and cartoon

:argh:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

also whatever the honorific situation was for the one lady that they decided not to keep. -hime or something probably

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a specific Japanese word for non-Japanese comic books?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you were translating a French piece of fiction that had the word "fiancée" in it, would you stick with "fiancée" or go with, like, "betrothed"

This is interesting to me

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

If you were translating a French piece of fiction that had the word "fiancée" in it, would you stick with "fiancée" or go with, like, "betrothed"

This is interesting to me

That'd really depend on the tone of the piece more than anything. Fiancée is pretty much the same, tone-wise, in french as it is in english. But if you wanted to convey a certain tone for the piece or haughtiness of the character that's indicated in their other speech patterns in french, you might go with betrothed in english.

Sometimes translating the text in the most intuitive way can rob characters of some personality. Translation is a real difficult job with a lot of things to consider.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

existing translation:
i am thou, thou art I

edited translation:
we're the same, thinking about it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People that get mad at video game translations are completely insane i'm sorry

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oddium posted:

existing translation:
i am thou, thou art I

edited translation:
we're the same, thinking about it

sesame street translation:
you and me and me and you!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Help Im Alive posted:

If you're settling in to read something for 40+ hours would you rather it translate a common title as Super High School Level [whatever] or Super Duper [whatever].

Picking the wrong one can really get on people's nerves!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That'd really depend on the tone of the piece more than anything. Fiancée is pretty much the same, tone-wise, in french as it is in english. But if you wanted to convey a certain tone for the piece or haughtiness of the character that's indicated in their other speech patterns in french, you might go with betrothed in english.

Sometimes translating the text in the most intuitive way can rob characters of some personality. Translation is a real difficult job with a lot of things to consider.

Then you have situations where like a French-speaker's choice between using second person singular or second person plural in a given conversation reflects how they feel about the other participants or what they think their place within is, which if you wanted to translate into English you'd have to fudge the words and expressions to make it work.

You've got Persona with its honourifics and its dedication to underlining and maintaining the Japanese-ness of the setting, and then you've got Phoenix Wright with its hamburgers and its decision to be set in the US despite of all the spirit mediums running amok and the obviously-not-American legal system. Translation can go so many different ways, you might say it is as artful as the original writing itself!!!

Examining how translators translated a thing and comparing it to the original is very interesting to me, shame I don't know any Japanese and therefore can't apply it to video games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

It would be different if it were insanely awful like Wild Arms 2 or machine translated nonsense like that SAO game but a few awkward lines don't even really register anymore.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

this is tepid entry level stuff compared to the ongoing fan translation scuffle of one piece's Dogtooth aka Potato Starch aka Katakuri

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One instruction manual I own translated every instance of the English word "spell" (as in "magic spell") into the French word "épelle", which means "to spell out", like at a spelling bee. Hilarious

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I might start translating peoples posts in here to more appropriate things.
We have to stay on point!!! hehe

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TRANSLATED TEXT:
I love playing video games!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 5, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Video games playing love

TRANSLATED TEXT:
So do I friend!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VideoGames posted:

I might start translating peoples posts in here to more appropriate things.
We have to stay on point!!! hehe

if only bill clinton would've spent more time meting out justice like this, instead of trying to redfine oral sex...!

instead of the chrono cross watch, i decided that a carry on-size rolling suitcase was something i actually need-needed

i didn't need this specific one, but i loving got it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Andrast posted:

pals together!

TRANSLATED TEXT:
I am glad we can post and love video games together! Hooray!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TRANSLATED TEXT:
Holy moly I cannot believe how many great video games there are!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 5, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Andrast posted:

gameesssss

TRANSLATED TEXT:
You are so right! What a year for games!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 5, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Hooray games!!!!

TRANSLATED TEXT:
Let us cease discussing our love for gaming and actually do some games!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 5, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This thread moves really fast these days, wonder why it suddenly doubled in speed in the last month or two

Rexroom posted:

I like the idea of giving bedroom producers a chance to publish a song with the help of Vocaloids. I think most songs Miku is known for were made by hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts from online communities such as 2ch and Nico Nico Douga. That's one of the awesome aspects of the whole Vocaloid phenomenon. In an ironic way, Miku is more real than your typical big label produced stars, despite being a virtual idol of some sort.
They do, or at least used to, take the more popular things made using Vocaloid and then push them as official, which is neat. Like, these two were made by randos and then picked up by Yamaha I believe. Unfragment has shown up in the Miku games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs-v9o4SYtI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqYu4dAMDlc

Dr Cheeto posted:

You have ten seconds to kawaii
perfect

Also Atlus is hilariously stupid, I literally bought a copy of Persona 4 Golden because of the Giant Bomb Endurance Run, and became interested in Persona as a series because of it. Disallowing LPs just means the game will stay more obscure than if they allowed LPers to run it. The Super Best Friends literally said on their podcast monday evening that they planned on doing an episode a day until they finished it, began recording, and then:

https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/849344792840601600

loving idiot japanese businessmen dinosaurs, denying me Chewie And Fuckface Play Persona 5

Help Im Alive posted:

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Me a few days ago: I can't spend ten bucks on Hyper Light Drifter I need to save money and finish my backlog
Me today: Huh Dishonored 2 is on sale and whoops there goes my thirty bucks and all my time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PSN just started an Easter sale and I feel very lucky there's only one thing I really want from it (Wild Guns Reloaded).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

PSN just started an Easter sale and I feel very lucky there's only one thing I really want from it (Wild Guns Reloaded).

gently caress how good are the discounts? i've wanted wild arms 3, breath of fire 3, and persona 3 for a long time but i'm not :retrogames: enough to buy them at full price

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Seems okay but a) it's an EU sale and b) I don't remember seeing any of those games in it, sorry.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

The outrage over Fire Emblem Fates was particularly insane

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Seems okay but a) it's an EU sale and b) I don't remember seeing any of those games in it, sorry.
cool thanks, i guess i'll look. fingers crossed, but hopes not too high.

In Training posted:

The outrage over Fire Emblem Fates was particularly insane
i've said it before: basically i really don't care either way what they took out or whatever, waifu petting is way too weird for the common western consumer, but personally, my first exposure to fates was a commercial on the frickin train in japan, so i wasn't gonna buy it without that stupid novelty :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

cool thanks, i guess i'll look. fingers crossed, but hopes not too high.

i've said it before: basically i really don't care either way what they took out or whatever, waifu petting is way too weird for the common western consumer, but personally, my first exposure to fates was a commercial on the frickin train in japan, so i wasn't gonna buy it without that stupid novelty :v:

It wasn't even removed. People just made that up

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they should make a fire emblem but it's all advance wars units. like andy in a tank and grit in a long shot tank

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh man I just remembered there's a new FE coming out in May

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's crazy they announced to close to release, I remember hearing about Fates for like 18 months before it came out here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*crosses Arby's off list*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jk we don't even have them here

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

It wasn't even removed. People just made that up

oh forill? it was still in? poo poo, i guess i can have that dumb novelty :)

well, i got plenty games, though. it'll have to wait, but i'll get around to it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it's crazy they announced to close to release, I remember hearing about Fates for like 18 months before it came out here.

Well it's just a remake so it's probably not as big of a deal to them as a brand new game

• Locked thread