Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Maybe they'll fix all the issues by the time it hits the Switch

Thanks for beta testing xbone :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tips
Feb 16, 2011

enojy posted:

Looks like Yooka-Laylee's getting sorta panned. That's a real shame, I liked everything about it so far... that is, that it's cute, a 3D platformer, and has a Shovel Knight cameo.

My roommate was playing some ridiculously bad rap music on her phone the other day, and I was like wtf is this? It's the Yooka-Laylee theme song! Ugh it's so bad it's good. Maybe I'll get it anyway despite the reviews.
I kind of want to play it but I don't like the odds of there being actual platforming vs the devs shotgunning collectables over every stage DK64 style and calling it a day.

Hell I'm just going to play it anyway, I already played as the funny nintendo monkey and collected 100 bananas, unlocked the second funny monkey did it again, and backtracked through every stage repeating the process for every hilarious animal mascot, my life is forfeit at this point.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's reviewing fine. It has an average score of about 70 right now, which is a perfectly fine game. And that's probably skewed down a little by a certain reviewer giving it a 20.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

tips posted:

I kind of want to play it but I don't like the odds of there being actual platforming vs the devs shotgunning collectables over every stage DK64 style and calling it a day.

Hell I'm just going to play it anyway, I already played as the funny nintendo monkey and collected 100 bananas, unlocked the second funny monkey did it again, and backtracked through every stage repeating the process for every hilarious animal mascot, my life is forfeit at this point.

While the reviews are pointing out flaws, it doesn't look like any flaw is close to the frustrations of DK64. It just looks like the camera sucks and the boss fights suck mostly.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Reviewing FineTM

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Anything that scores under 97 on metacritic is a worthless piece of poo poo in my mind

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

parallelodad posted:

It's reviewing fine. It has an average score of about 70 right now, which is a perfectly fine game. And that's probably skewed down a little by a certain reviewer giving it a 20.

yeah i mean i'm sure it's fine, some of my favorite games ever didn't receive stellar reviews when they came out, but it's still disappointing to see response so lukewarm generally across the board. if all you're expecting is a decently-made throwback to n64-era rare collectathons, with all the good and bad that comes with, then i'm sure it's a totally fine one of those. but i would've liked if it was a little better than fine. as it is it's gone from a "must buy" for me to a "wait and see what my friends think and then maybe pick it up on a steam discount."

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 5, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well it's a must buy for me. Maybe because I bought it a year ago. They're going to send me a download code no matter what.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

parallelodad posted:

Games are either 10/10 or complete garbage, there's no in between.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just see people calling this mighty no 9 and that game got a 52.

Jim Sterling gave Mighty No 9 a 4 though so he thinks Yooka Laylee was twice as bad.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yooka-laylee definitely doesn't look like mighty no 9 levels of mediocre-to-bad

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well in non-Yooka news, Graceful Explosion Machine launches tomorrow and looks dope as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu9QyThTpXo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just look at that game and don't see anything. Like I have no idea what is even going on, everything is so minimally designed and looks like everything else.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Infinitum posted:

Well in non-Yooka news, Graceful Explosion Machine launches tomorrow and looks dope as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu9QyThTpXo

gently caress, I'm down for this. Is this launching in EU at the same time?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I had my Switch legit freeze? The OS was running (I could move the volume and whatnot) but none of the controls worked. It was really strange and I had to hold the power button down to restart it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That has happened to me once or twice playing Zelda.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ethanol posted:

Functional use, like warding off predatory women

My wife has some amiibo too. Only 7 or 8 though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jables88 posted:

gently caress, I'm down for this. Is this launching in EU at the same time?

No idea. It launches in Aus tomorrow, which is a PAL region... no idea how the regions work this time around.

Kashuno posted:

I had my Switch legit freeze? The OS was running (I could move the volume and whatnot) but none of the controls worked. It was really strange and I had to hold the power button down to restart it.

Harlock posted:

That has happened to me once or twice playing Zelda.

Ditto once during BoI

Some buttons responded, I could play the game A-OK, and it would dock and undock just fine, but I couldn't quit out of the game or put my Switch into sleep mode.
Had to hold down the power button to force a shutdown.

:shrug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

jivjov posted:

My wife has some amiibo too. Only 7 or 8 though.

Divorce her

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

Divorce her

Nah; we don't really have a need for multiple complete amiibo collections.

2 of our housemates have small collections as well. This house is positively full of amiibo goodness. :)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

2 of our housemates have small collections as well. This house is positively full of amiibo goodness. :)

Amiibos own

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kashuno posted:

Amiibos own

Own amiibos

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

jivjov posted:

Maybe if you didn't spend thousands on Amiibo you could afford your own place.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
:siren: VideoGames :siren:

Please change the thread title to Nintendo Switch: Don't talk to me if you don't have a single amiibo

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

:siren: VideoGames :siren:

Please change the thread title to Nintendo Switch: Don't talk to me if you don't have fifty amiibo

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
it's a firm amiibNO from me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The plural form of amiibo is amiibo. And the leading a isn't capitalized.

parallelodad posted:

Maybe if you didn't spend thousands on Amiibo you could afford your own place.

This is my own place. I own it. We just rent out the spare bedrooms to our friends.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I have the US color R.O.B., Waluigi, Wario, 8 Bit Mario, Duck Hunt, Chibi Robo, yarn Yoshi, Wolf Link, and regular Bowser.

That's 9 so I'm officially cool but not a weirdo obsessive.

And my only funko pop is Drew Brees but he has Peyton Manning's head to body ratio.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

To pay for your Amiibo addiction

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you don't have the Shovel Knight amiibo you're not living life correctly

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

If you don't have the Shovel Knight amiibo you're not living life correctly

:yeah:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whoever sprung the trap to make everyone admit they own amiibo was pretty smart. I now know to ignore the advice from everyone here.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i don't own amiibo but i support everyone who does because figures are cool

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As long as Funkopop exists and people buy them in droves, Amiibo will not be close to the worst thing in GameStop.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whoever sprung the trap to make everyone admit they own amiibo was pretty smart. I now know to ignore the advice from everyone here.

Counterpoint: amiibodes kept nintendo alive because the wii u sure wasn't.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

correction: figures are cool, except funko pops

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Going to stop dumb amiibo chat to post here that Bomberman is the DOTD on Best Buy for $40. $32 if you have GCU. I'm thinking of getting it at that price.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I have a complete Splatoon amiibo collection because I'm a man-child of discerning taste.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Going to stop dumb amiibo chat to post here that Bomberman is the DOTD on Best Buy for $40. $32 if you have GCU. I'm thinking of getting it at that price.

that's still too much for a bad bomberman game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

for that you could buy 3 amiibo, which would be infinitely more with it than a bad bomberman game

• Locked thread