Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I'd be mostly ok with the bullshit grab kills if they didn't prevent revival. Maybe prevent self revival if you really gotta punish a player for playing your buggy, laggy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea sync kills only bothered me when I was lagged to death on them, that and the Banshee's amazing ability to teleport you into her hand.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ambaire posted:

Some guy over on Reddit did some testing and the shotgun smart choke mod does literally nothing. Wonder how many other weapon mods are bugged and if any of them will get fixed thursday.

Zakmonster posted:

A lot of the comments in that thread mention the smart choke only working on a target, not a wall, which is the way it worked in ME3 and probably how it still works in MEA.

I'm guessing you read the first thread the guy posted and assumed the one I linked was the same. The thread I linked was the second time this guy tested the smart choke, this time versus live targets.
edit: probably should have specified the thread I linked was versus live targets. Oh well.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 5, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Ambaire posted:

I'm guessing you read the first thread the guy posted and assumed the one I linked was the same. The thread I linked was the second time this guy tested the smart choke, this time versus live targets.

You're totally right, I was assuming the first thread.

Oh well, hopefully this is addressed in the upcoming patch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Haha someone's trying to defend sync kills again? Just going to repeat what I wrote about them in the ME3 thread since it's almost all still relevant here, besides the fact that there are very short tells now.

Digirat posted:

Sync kills are irredeemable poo poo both in design and implementation. At best they are a sledgehammer that solves one problem (certain player behavior is perceived as too powerful) by causing massive collateral damage in a lot of other areas. They are an invisible trigger that is not clearly communicated to players at all and which knocks them out for the rest of the round effectively instantly (except in rare cases when the enemy gets staggered out of it), which is a massive dick move in a game where downs and revives happen very frequently and quickly. Compared to any other attack enemies can do (comes from a clear source, does damage by traveling into you, does damage that is measurable in health and shields, allows you to be revived if it downs you) they are entirely out of line.

Furthermore they combine with the game's other jank very poorly, such as vanguard charge staggering an enemy 9 times in a row but randomly failing to do so on the 10th time. If this happens to a phantom who just meleed, you instantly die because apparently vanguard charging an enemy is behavior that should be punished (???). If one of these enemies gets close to you then you have to fight the bad controls and FOV to get out of sync kill range, but you have no idea what that range actually is because it's not communicated. Even after getting to the point where sync kills rarely happen to me anymore, they are still infuriating because when they happen to someone else, you are down a person for the wave, which can absolutely decide whether you win or not.

Even if you did somehow make a compelling argument that they are a design necessity, there is absolutely no arguing that their implementation isn't poo poo, because they directly and visibly make a lot of players' experiences with the game worse.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was wondering why this guy was behaving strangely in one spot for a wave. Turns out she was entirely trapped inside the wall, and not even the fiend who went by could get her out with its design necessity sync kill. (It did get me with its design necessity sync kill when the game refused to let me stop defusing an objective, however.)

She finally escaped under the map and helped save the game.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zakmonster posted:

A lot of the comments in that thread mention the smart choke only working on a target, not a wall, which is the way it worked in ME3 and probably how it still works in MEA.
I distinctly remember testing chokes against walls in ME3 and their effects being easily discernible, so this is total bollocks.

A five minute search turned up these pictures from this forum: Piranha tested against a wall. From top left to bottom right: no mods, smart choke, marksman, smart choke + marksman.

So yeah. Chokes are probably bugged right now.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 5, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Geez Smart Chokes make a huge difference. Hopefully the patch fixes them.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm looking forward to the first Multiplayer DLC cause all the current stuff is a bit on the bland side. Give me more weird poo poo like the batarian net gun and harpoon gun.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Well I give up on multiplayer until they patch this poo poo, I'm crashing half way through pretty much every second match now, on ps4. drat shame because I was just starting to get some good stuff/levels. Try again thursday I guess.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Digirat posted:

I was wondering why this guy was behaving strangely in one spot for a wave. Turns out she was entirely trapped inside the wall, and not even the fiend who went by could get her out with its design necessity sync kill. (It did get me with its design necessity sync kill when the game refused to let me stop defusing an objective, however.)

She finally escaped under the map and helped save the game.

That player name is just perfect. I imagined the player just teleporting out of the gamebreaking place and sneaking down to claim victory from the buggy code.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Well I give up on multiplayer until they patch this poo poo, I'm crashing half way through pretty much every second match now, on ps4. drat shame because I was just starting to get some good stuff/levels. Try again thursday I guess.
Ditto. The Biotic combo modifier going today is loving hilarious but when you crash three games in a row, with the last being on a extraction with seconds to go, time to put the controller down before it ends up out the window. :argh:

I'm also sitting on a pile of 50% XP boosters from buying the guide ( The multiplayer chapter sucks. No detailed information like damage / HP for enemies, and a cut-paste from the game for basically everything else. ) but can't use them because they're likely to get wasted.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CapnBry posted:

I feel like every boss monster in this game needs a tell though before it uses its sync-kill, an audio cue.
Speaking of which has anyone else had their sound die mid-game? I had mine cut out more than once yesterday. Everything is fine in the OS and other applications, but MEA must have a thread for sound that dies. Not even sure where I can report the bug...?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I noticed that the bios for each of the classes kind of lets you know their personality. Female Adept is such a douchbag compared to the glee my Female Engineer brings to a mission. She says pew pew when she drops an assault turret which is cute as poo poo. Now I can't wait to see what crap comes out of the Turian Soldier war criminal.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Why do we call them sync kills anyway?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ineffiable posted:

I think Dawn of War started it; two models would "sync up" to perform a cool animation, like a space marine shooting down a demon.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Shumagorath posted:

Speaking of which has anyone else had their sound die mid-game? I had mine cut out more than once yesterday. Everything is fine in the OS and other applications, but MEA must have a thread for sound that dies. Not even sure where I can report the bug...?

Yeah this happens to everyone I know that plays. Nothing seems to trigger it just happens randomly.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

comatose posted:

Yeah this happens to everyone I know that plays. Nothing seems to trigger it just happens randomly.
It's been reported across all 3 platforms ( it annoys the piss out of me on PC ). Tonight is another angry night, I keep crashing to desktop - I should just give up and play something else, I've unlocked all my commons but am running horrifically low on revive and healing consumables.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've had it happen once or twice. No clue what triggers it, just randomly lost all audio. Made soloing the last objective vs Kett as a level 1 adept rather interesting.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah it's happened to me, had to quit and reload the game. Also pretty frequently have the announcer/commander whatever voice stop working.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Also pretty frequently have the announcer/commander whatever voice stop working.

I've never lost all the game sounds but the announcer going silent happens all the time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

RBA Starblade posted:

I think Dawn of War started it; two models would "sync up" to perform a cool animation, like a space marine shooting down a demon.

Oh okay. I was just wondering why we don't say 'instant-kill'

Makes sense in a way.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm okay with the announcer going quiet; he's no Admiral Hackett :colbert:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Ineffiable posted:

Oh okay. I was just wondering why we don't say 'instant-kill'

Makes sense in a way.

Do you know what "instant" means?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Pierson posted:

Are there any other games besides this and Mass Effect 3 that have a similar short match/wave-based coop thing tied with random box-opening stuff because every match I've tried to enter has kicked me to the main menu.

Warframe can be sort of that if you choose only one type of mission that has this has basic.

Edit:
In a "what the hell why you are comparing the two games" kind of way.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 5, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Do you know what "instant" means?

If a teammate doesn't happen to be right there with a cobra then they are effectively instant, which is one reason so many people can't stand them.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

I've had it happen once or twice. No clue what triggers it, just randomly lost all audio. Made soloing the last objective vs Kett as a level 1 adept rather interesting.

I almost never get the voice over when I join a match in progress past the first wave.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Digirat posted:

If a teammate doesn't happen to be right there with a cobra then they are effectively instant, which is one reason so many people can't stand them.

Is the time elapsed between the beginning and end of a synch kill perceptibly greater than zero? Hint: this will help you to understand what instant means. For additional help, compare to one shot sniper kills.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Is the time elapsed between the beginning and end of a synch kill perceptibly greater than zero? Hint: this will help you to understand what instant means. For additional help, compare to one shot sniper kills.

Shut up you pedantic gently caress.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

MarshyMcFly posted:

I almost never get the voice over when I join a match in progress past the first wave.

When I say no audio I mean absolutely any audio whatsoever. Playing in complete silence. No gun sounds, no enemy sounds, no foot steps or ability sounds, no music, nothing. May as well have unplugged my headphones. Nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Pierson posted:

Are there any other games besides this and Mass Effect 3 that have a similar short match/wave-based coop thing tied with random box-opening stuff because every match I've tried to enter has kicked me to the main menu.

The only thing I've found that comes close is Vermintide. It's built off of a L4D skeleton, so more "moving through the level completing set onjectives" instead of waiting for things to come to you in waves. And it has its own pile of balance and technical issues, but it is pretty fun.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

GenericOverusedName posted:

When I say no audio I mean absolutely any audio whatsoever. Playing in complete silence. No gun sounds, no enemy sounds, no foot steps or ability sounds, no music, nothing. May as well have unplugged my headphones. Nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada.

There was a sound during MP that killed my sound system once in the same way that shotguns in XCOM would kill my 10 year old lovely Woot! system

Turning it back on again was all I had to do

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

Relentless posted:

The only thing I've found that comes close is Vermintide. It's built off of a L4D skeleton, so more "moving through the level completing set onjectives" instead of waiting for things to come to you in waves. And it has its own pile of balance and technical issues, but it is pretty fun.

Gears is close as well

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

moist turtleneck posted:

There was a sound during MP that killed my sound system once in the same way that shotguns in XCOM would kill my 10 year old lovely Woot! system

Cool. How did you do that? Other parts of my system still make sound, I can tab out and listen to lovely music still or whatever, it's just ingame that has it dead. Restarting the game fixed it.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

I had this happen for the first time on PS4 yesterday, and there was nothing I could do to fix it until I quit the game and restarted it.

Overall this is really fun when it works, but the netcode is so awful most of the time that it really hurts the game. If they improve the netcode and make it so you don't get rubberbanded around the map by random dogs and then sync killed by the fiend that was 200 feet away it will be much better. The guns also need a major rebalance, though as an Asari adept with an equalizer I haven't been hurting too badly on that front at least. More combo damage would be good though, the apex mission yesterday with +100% damage actually felt pretty reasonable finally. I still have high hopes for this, but I think I'm taking a break for a while until we get some patches.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, it is pretty telling that the apex mission effects that add silly numbers like +50% damage don't feel overpowered at all, they just make a lot of weapons suddenly start to feel reasonable.

But I'm pretty sure you could flat out double the damage of most assault rifles and they still wouldn't be overpowered in any way. In fact, for many of them, that might not even be enough.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

limited posted:

I'm also sitting on a pile of 50% XP boosters from buying the guide ( The multiplayer chapter sucks. No detailed information like damage / HP for enemies, and a cut-paste from the game for basically everything else. ) but can't use them because they're likely to get wasted.

Does the guide list out weapon stats at I or X?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Got my first Ultra-Rare its a Ushior, I was uh not pleased.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Relentless posted:

Does the guide list out weapon stats at I or X?
Nope! Doesn't even list out all the MK I stats either. They just copy-pasted the basic stats that never change, and then just put a single red bar with no numeric value for anything that changes like power and weight. Basically a tiny bar for sidearms, and a big one for sniper rifles.

Too lazy to research it would be my guess.

Ineffiable posted:

Personally I thought it was because they were never in sync with what the hell your screen was doing. Obviously out of melee reach from a Phantom or Banshee? NOPE. gently caress you player, die instantly with no revive.

limited fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Quote is not edit. Derp.

• Locked thread