Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im glad there's no streaming because the past few months of youtube poo poo has taught me gamers deserve nothing good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK I have just translated the previous page! Let us not need to do that again! :)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
lol

Much like Witcher 3 elevated Open World RPGs, Persona 5 has elevated JRPG UIs to a new standard

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VideoGames posted:

OK I have just translated the previous page! Let us not need to do that again! :)

Those are some great translations, you really got the spirit of my posts down pat

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MinibarMatchman posted:

im glad there's no streaming because the past few months of youtube poo poo has taught me gamers deserve nothing good
Please do not condemn every Youtuber because Jontron and Pewds are shits, thanks and gobbles.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Andrast posted:

Those are some great translations, you really got the spirit of my posts down pat

:D

I thought so too!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Please do not condemn every Youtuber because Jontron and Pewds are shits, thanks and gobbles.

you're right friend I forgot I watch betus and slowbeef streams weekly, both who are Good Men

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MinibarMatchman posted:

you're right friend I forgot I watch betus and slowbeef streams weekly, both who are Good Men

I wish slowbeef was a bit less grumpy about the games he plays. He's a funny and informative guy and he's not too bad at games even when he's unfamiliar with the genre, but sometimes he seems unwilling to meet some pretty good games halfway and spends the entire playthrough making fun of them, which makes me sad if I enjoy said games.

VideoGames posted:

:cheerdoge: :discourse:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 5, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wizard on a water slide posted:

It reminds me of how there's a contingent of people who absolutely hate Alexander O Smith's localizations of games like Vagrant Story, because he always gives them a weird Elizabethan tone, but it actually gives those games a ton of personality and character and creates more memorable dialogue overall at the expense of the occasional awkward or unwieldy sentence. They're way better for that kind of translation, not worse, and sometimes what people describe as a "stilted tone" or whatever is just a work of fiction having tone at all.

I loving love Alexander O. Smith's work. The only thing I disliked from a game he translated was how he got rid of "blame yourself or God" in FFT War of the Lions. It's such a memorable and strong line that I don't think it was worth getting rid of either for accuracy or tone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it was a shame they got rid of a couple of iconic lines in WoL because other than that it was an insane improvement over the original.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MinibarMatchman posted:

Chip Cheezum is one of my favorite youtubers, alongside Giant Bomb and the Super Best Friends. Geop is good too most of the time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Franchescanado posted:

drat, he just can't not draw Goku

Look, you can't go to Toriyama for concept art and not expect derivative Dragonball characters.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So who asked for a Resident Evil Roguelike made in Unity? http://store.steampowered.com/app/549950/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m30ZVKxQ0d8

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Harrow posted:

I loving love Alexander O. Smith's work. The only thing I disliked from a game he translated was how he got rid of "blame yourself or God" in FFT War of the Lions. It's such a memorable and strong line that I don't think it was worth getting rid of either for accuracy or tone.

Someone can correct me if wrong, but Smith wasn't responsible for WoTL. The people that did the TL just did work that seemed really similar to his.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Someone can correct me if wrong, but Smith wasn't responsible for WoTL. The people that did the TL just did work that seemed really similar to his.

How about that, you're right. I really thought he worked on that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I think this Pepsi commercial everyone is upset about would have gone over a lot better if Pepsiman had been there to help systematically end racism and police brutality.

Thank you for ending racism Pepsiman.

Pepsi for TV-Game. Pepsi for America.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

Okay well when you put it like that I actually agree with you.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I don't know if I'm just a crotchety nofunman, but my skind starts to crawl whenever I see #BRANDS engage in poo poo like this.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

2 shrines in Zelda to go before I allow myself to play something else...

Sakurazuka posted:

It would be different if it were insanely awful like Wild Arms 2 or machine translated nonsense like that SAO game but a few awkward lines don't even really register anymore.

My favorite bad translation is Lux-Pain, a game with a worse machine translation than the SAO game with the bonus being that it's a Visual Novel and absolutely nothing about it makes sense.

The White Dragon posted:

i didn't need this specific one, but i loving got it

heck yeah

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

wtf... i just saw the chrono cross watch...

should i buy it

Chrono Cross wasn't worth buying so I'm gonna go ahead and say the watch isn't either

Mordja posted:

I don't know if I'm just a crotchety nofunman, but my skind starts to crawl whenever I see #BRANDS engage in poo poo like this.

Just enjoy the things you like and either buy the product or don't

It's not that difficult

Serf
May 5, 2011

So I got my Switch yesterday and played about 5 minutes of Zelda before I decided to stop. My brother is off at an internship and basically living in a shoebox, so his Switch is back home. I'm gonna wait for him to get back in May so we can play at the same time. I've got Destiny and Persona 5 to fill my time until then.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Hey here's a weird question but are there any good arcade-style golf games for the PC?

I don't care much for the actual sport and I don't think I'd enjoy a realistic interpretation,
But i have always enjoyed games like mario golf or hot shots golf just as a fun way to pass the time and feel relaxed.

Is there anything out like that on the PC.
Don't own any consoles but I suppose I could legally make use of an emulator if I needed to.

Avian Pneumonia fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 5, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

raditts posted:

Just enjoy the things you like and either buy the product or don't

It's not that difficult

No. I'd rather my corporate overlords look down at me in derision as I'm slowly crushed to death by the great boot of industry. I don't want them to pretend that they're just like us.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

It's some dorky social media person trying to engage with people. It's probably genuinely earnest even if it's done in pursuit of The All Consuming Brand. I think it's weirder in this day and age because rather than it being a person it's a faceless 140 character message. No matter who it actually is a corporate twitter feels like Focus Tested Marketing At Kids These Days. (Which to be honest is what it is but still.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 5, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Hey here's a weird question but are there any good arcade-style golf games for the PC?

I don't care much for the actual sport and I don't think I'd enjoy a realistic interpretation,
But i have always enjoyed games like mario golf or hot shots golf just as a fun way to pass the time and feel relaxed.

Don't own any consoles but I suppose I could legally make use of an emulator if I needed to.

How about emulated versions of Mario Golf or Hot Shots Golf

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/776446255757037568

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

please stop advertising american fast food chains to me april thread

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's not even the good Arby's twitter.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

In Training posted:

How about emulated versions of Mario Golf or Hot Shots Golf

Looks like this is what I'm going for.
Forgetting about plaform, then: What other fun arcade-ish golf games are there out there?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I played some PangYa back in the day and despite being a very anime-ish MMO I thought it was fun. I can't find any info on a NA server but there probably are private ones out there if you're interested.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Emulate neo turf masters

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Arby's has been making a serious play for hardcore gamerz for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz6Ekzv_MDA

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I beat A Night In The Woods the other day and I really, really liked it. I get why people hate the last act but even that worked for me and I though actually tied the whole thing up pretty well. Still, in general it's rare to get a game quite that funny and likable. In any other year it'd pretty easily be my goty but this year it has way too much up against it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

I beat A Night In The Woods the other day and I really, really liked it. I get why people hate the last act but even that worked for me and I though actually tied the whole thing up pretty well. Still, in general it's rare to get a game quite that funny and likable. In any other year it'd pretty easily be my goty but this year it has way too much up against it.

I loved the last act. I took it mainly as a metaphor for the scary skeletal things that deep down hurt you if you don't want change but it was also fun for the weird creepy poo poo it introduced.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Harrow posted:

How about that, you're right. I really thought he worked on that.

Tom Slattery and Joseph Reeder worked on War of the Lions. Tom Slattery became the lead translator midway through the localization when Reeder had to leave and work on FFXII Revenant Wings.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Have I just not been paying attention/is it just a UK thing or have indie games gotten very expensive

That Night in the Woods thing is £19 :popeye:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Help Im Alive posted:

Have I just not been paying attention/is it just a UK thing or have indie games gotten very expensive

May be a UK thing, that game is $20 here and a lot of indies seemed to have landed on the $20 mark.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, Night in the woods is 22 bucks in Canada, which I'm pretty sure is nowhere near 19 pounds.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that's nearly 1.5 stone... the whole sodding system is knackered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Blame Brexit

• Locked thread