Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Kill the loser point, and bring back ties.

Please no, ties were terrible. The current system has its faults, but it does what it was designed to do in making playoff races as tight as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Ties are lame and shootouts are hilarious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The correct solution is to just play OT until someone scores, playoff style. No ties, no loser points.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hand Knit posted:

Fun with tiebreaks:

How the gently caress are then sens in the playoffs

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Anderson and Karlsson Andersoning and Karlsonning, mainly.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bring back ties, gently caress the shootout

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
10 minute OT, 3 minutes of 4v4 then 7 of 3v3, tie if no one scores.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
10 minute OT followed by a skills competition or relay race.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

ties are dumb. the only arguments i see for ties come from purists. as if regular season isn't boring enough already, apparently we gotta make it even more boring because shootouts are a skills competition and not "real hockey".

Gio fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 5, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gio posted:

ties are dumb. the only arguments i see for ties come from purists. as if regular season isn't boring enough already apparently we gotta make it even more boring because shootouts are a skills competition.

I agree in principal, but for every fun shootout move there's 300 "don't want coach to bench me for trying anything unique even though I know this won't work" shots into the pads from between the hashmarks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Gio posted:

ties are dumb. the only arguments i see for ties come from purists. as if regular season isn't boring enough already, apparently we gotta make it even more boring because shootouts are a skills competition.

If you're gonna be that purist you might as well take it all the way and say that the Cup should just be given to the best regular season team because that's the purest display of skill rather than a short tournament where anything can happen.

*Caps fans ears perk up*

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How about settling tie games with a fist fight between each team's highest paid player.

Find out who really wants it more.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

I agree in principal, but for every fun shootout move there's 300 "don't want coach to bench me for trying anything unique even though I know this won't work" shots into the pads from between the hashmarks.

shootouts are lame, too. ties are lamer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

How about settling tie games with a fist fight between each team's highest paid player.

Find out who really wants it more.

This.

Real talk:

Remove the loser point unless you take it to the shootout. There, incentive to avoid the shootout.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

xzzy posted:

The correct solution is to just play OT until someone scores, playoff style. No ties, no loser points.

If they'd done that during the Neutral Zone trap era, people would have died.

iospace posted:

This.

Real talk:

Remove the loser point unless you take it to the shootout. There, incentive to avoid the shootout.

Have two 5-min periods of 3-on-3, if you can't separate it after that both teams leave with one point.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My favorite tiebreaker is in lacrosse, where you can play "Braveheart" rules. 1v1 (plus goalies), no substitutions, sudden death. It kind of sucks if you're the guy who has to do it, though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just make the whole goddamn game 3v3 because it's so good and cool and fun to watch.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Ties for everyone Monday - Friday, no ties on the weekend or holidays, also every 3rd Friday is casual Friday and ties are at the home teams discretion.

Seriously though, no ties, ties are almost as lame as the old no 2 line pass rule.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
NHL players will never accept full face cages because the styrofoam against your chin gives you wicked acne when it gets wet, which means you have to be really careful with the water bottle, and for guys it would probably do that anyway just from the extra sweat.

I know this because women's hockey already has full cages mandated because apparently our faces are too pretty to maim or some other almost certainly sexist reason.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So award chat. Does Burns still deserve the Norris? Karlsson has closed the gap in points and has a trillion blocked shots and plays two more minutes a game. Gets harder zone starts too. Burns has out performed him from a possession standpoint though but part of that is to be expected given Burns is deployed much more in the o-zone

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HookShot posted:

NHL players will never accept full face cages because the styrofoam against your chin gives you wicked acne when it gets wet,

oh god i'd nearly forgotten about this. It suuuuuccccccks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

5 years playing hockey and I've never gotten a chin zit from my cage.

Maybe you should invest in some cleaning products. :v:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Yeah I can't recall dealing with that ever either. Maybe back in high school.

On the other hand my helmets seem to generate mold inevitably even though I air them out outside after every game :negative:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

So award chat. Does Burns still deserve the Norris? Karlsson has closed the gap in points and has a trillion blocked shots and plays two more minutes a game. Gets harder zone starts too. Burns has out performed him from a possession standpoint though but part of that is to be expected given Burns is deployed much more in the o-zone

95% of the voters are just going to look at who has more points or pick Burns because he's Canadian

xzzy posted:

Yeah that's never happened to me in 10+ years of playing lacrosse and hockey.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
There's not wrong with the loser point if they move to a 3-point system

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

There's not wrong with the loser point if they move to a 3-point system

The NHL will never move to that because it creates too much separation in the standing. Fans generally stop showing up when their team is out of the playoffs. Moving to a 3 point system would effectively eliminate a bunch of teams by mid-January and in a gate driven league like the NHL that's death.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about a 10 point system so you can divide out points based on all kids of criteria.

Got a misconduct? Ouch that's -2 points.

Failed a challenge? -1 point.

Bettman favors you? +4 points.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The NHL will never move to that because it creates too much separation in the standing. Fans generally stop showing up when their team is out of the playoffs. Moving to a 3 point system would effectively eliminate a bunch of teams by mid-January and in a gate driven league like the NHL that's death.

Yeah this is the big problem. poo poo, the Flyers were sending out ticket deal emails immediately after they got officially eliminated.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm pretty sure Shea Weber won the Norris after his fantastic performance in the month October.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If the Rags win out and CBJ lose out, who gets the privilege of WC1?

I mean, playoff seeding means nothing if you can't score, but New York can have the Yinzers at this point.

Also, I've never seen an NHL game with a tie and I don't want to, either, though the purgatory of "Well, they didn't lose" may not be too terrible.

Hand Knit posted:

Fun with tiebreaks:

Yeah, I saw this last night and it took me a second to figure out.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

xzzy posted:

How about a 10 point system so you can divide out points based on all kids of criteria.

Got a misconduct? Ouch that's -2 points.

Failed a challenge? -1 point.

Bettman favors you? +4 points.

It'll be like in Harry Potter where Bettman grants 20 points to some team just because he feels like it, thus giving them the top playoff spot.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

It's definitely close. If Karlsson overtakes him, he's certainly got a good case. He has 54 assists on a team that has scored 182 goals (excluding his own). But Burns might score 30 goals this year, and that's a hell of a thing.

It does highlight how terrible the Doughty Norris was last year though.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The Blocked Shots argument

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Unlimited overtime, but ever whistle the number of skaters goes down from 5, 4, 3, to 2 and then it's the shoot out.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Jets went 10-0 against the Blackhawks and Blues this season

It's too bad they went 28-35-7 against everyone else :mad:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm pretty sure Shea Weber won the Norris after his fantastic performance in the month October.

Bergevin desperately making phone calls begging the other GMs to vote for Weber because he doesn't want to be seen having made the worst trade in history.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/commie22/status/849643175907966980

This is kind of entertaining.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

yellowcar posted:

Bergevin desperately making phone calls begging the other GMs to vote for Weber because he doesn't want to be seen having made the worst trade in history.

That's not even the worst trade involving the Habs shipping out a current top defenseman.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

That's not even the worst trade involving the Habs shipping out a current top defenseman.

I'm waiting for someone to bring back HAS.gif and the amazing Gomez avatar the subject of the gif is sporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Waiting for them to send Jeff Petry to Calgary for Emile Porier or some poo poo

• Locked thread