Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pedro De Heredia posted:

What the gently caress even is this. "Minimum WAGE DISPROPORTIONALLY helps people who have WAGES". Yeah, no poo poo, that's who it's supposed to help.

"THIS BILL TO ABOLISH SLAVERY DISPROPORTIONALLY BENEFITS SLAVES"!

Vote Clinton, she promises to do nothing to benefit anyone, and that's called fairness.

Edit: adding a fat dog, give me ten minutes

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!
Soiled Meat
List of policies advocated only by HRC that disproportionately help destitute POC families:

Deregulation of Wall Street (the market of office furniture cardboard boxes will implode, making housing more affordable)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

What the gently caress even is this. "Minimum WAGE DISPROPORTIONALLY helps people who have WAGES". Yeah, no poo poo, that's who it's supposed to help.

"THIS BILL TO ABOLISH SLAVERY DISPROPORTIONALLY BENEFITS SLAVES"!

I know you're quite stupid, but you can't benefit a class that doesn't exist.

Oh I get it, racism ended in the 19th century. There are no institutional disadvantages that need to be addressed.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Frijolero posted:

Hmm yes, my progressive Mexican girlfriend is racist. Please keep digging that hole you piece of poo poo.

hahhhahha and she didn't vote against trump. She really needs an "other" to hate against.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Soiled Meat
People keep talking about how policies of her opponents disproportionately help white waelthy (what) guys, but they always forget to mention Hillary's great plans to lift the minorities out of poverty at a disproportionately high rates.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Soiled Meat

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Oh I get it, racism ended in the 19th century. There are no institutional disadvantages that need to be addressed.

Found one person who believes Hillary had a plan to address institutional issues that would include actual policy making rather than some platitudes made from time to time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Soiled Meat

hahhhahha and she didn't vote against trump. She really needs an "other" to hate against.

Agreed, as a liberal I believe those minority idiots can't be trusted to govern themselves.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Again: as with every other thing Clinton and her campaign and her followers said, it's her past that makes her message lack credibility, which in turns makes people believe (correctly) that it is an argument in bad faith.

There are plenty of possible criticisms of Sanders' policies and of "Bernie Bros" from an anti-racist perspective, but they are not believable coming from Hillary Clinton, or people who supported Hillary Clinton.

When you point out that there are institutional disadvantages that need to be addressed, the political message lacks credibility because Clinton and the establishment Democrats wouldn't have done anything about these institutional disadvantages.

When you criticize people who supported Sanders for 'throwing PoC under the bus' as an indirect defense of Clinton and establishment dems, it lacks credibility because Clinton herself was 'throwing PoC under the bus' the last time she ran for President.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Again: as with every other thing Clinton and her campaign and her followers said, it's her past that makes her message lack credibility, which in turns makes people believe (correctly) that it is an argument in bad faith.

There are plenty of possible criticisms of Sanders' policies and of "Bernie Bros" from an anti-racist perspective, but they are not believable coming from Hillary Clinton, or people who supported Hillary Clinton.

When you point out that there are institutional disadvantages that need to be addressed, the political message lacks credibility because Clinton and the establishment Democrats wouldn't have done anything about these institutional disadvantages.

you might want to check with PoC communities before making such wrong statements. Obviously not giving full lip service to white folk like Sanders and Trump did was not the path to success in 2016.

steinrokkan posted:

Agreed, as a liberal I believe those minority idiots can't be trusted to govern themselves.
Well policy certainly doesn't matter for that voter.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 5, 2017

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah free ponies sounds like a great policy but consider that minorities are disproportionately less likely to possess the land needed to maintain such a beast and to be able to shoulder the veterinary expensds

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Soiled Meat

Well policy certainly doesn't matter for that voter.

What policies were offered.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

you might want to check with PoC communities before making such wrong statements.

I don't need to consult with anyone to tell them their candidate was bad. The election actually happened, she lost.

Part of her loss was due to decreased turnout amongst African Americans.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 5, 2017

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Calibanibal posted:

yeah free ponies sounds like a great policy but consider that minorities are disproportionately less likely to possess the land needed to maintain such a beast and to be able to shoulder the veterinary expensds

Minorities and women in general are overrepresented at bottom wage levels as well.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I mean this is the same as when people criticize Sanders for focusing too much on Wall Street and saying all of America's problems are Wall Street.

That criticism is much more believable when it's not coming from people who actually like Wall Street.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Are people in this thread now arguing a higher minimum wage doesn't disproportionately help low income Americans (who are again disproportionately non-white) the most?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Are people in this thread now arguing a higher minimum wage doesn't disproportionately help low income Americans (who are again disproportionately non-white) the most?

That dumb liberal hack is arguing that. Using the same bullshit race tactics that Hillarybots used on Bernie and his supporters.

"Lefties don't address racial issues" :downs: Not realizing that the Clintons and Co. are a major reason for deep poverty among minorities.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I don't need to consult with anyone to tell them their candidate was bad. The election actually happened, she lost.
:irony:

quote:

Part of her loss was due to decreased turnout amongst African Americans.
Weirdly enough this correlated strongly with states that enacted new voter laws... I wonder why?

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I did not make this argument. There are certainly problems assuming a higher min wage will help the AA community as much as other demographics.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Weirdly enough this correlated strongly with states that enacted new voter laws... I wonder why?

PA doesn't have voter ID laws.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I did not make this argument. There are certainly problems assuming a higher min wage will help the AA community as much as other demographics.

I find your implication that african-americans are shiftless welfare queens problematic. Maybe you should check your racism?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Soiled Meat

:irony:
WHat policies did Hillary Clinton offer that would have been a better fit for the stupid minorities you are mocking here?

Show yourself, coward.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Soiled Meat
Also Hillary also supported a higher wage (except when she didn't, of course), so she is racist.

These fucktards carrying water for Right To Work politicians are so infuriating.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pedro De Heredia posted:

"I'm open to hearing criticism, but not from anyone who disagreed."

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Nevvy Z posted:

"Oh you supported Sanders and then campaigned for Hillary because you were terrified of the orange fascist? Criticism INVALID"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

WHat policies did Hillary Clinton offer that would have been a better fit for the stupid minorities you are mocking here?

Show yourself, coward.
Mocking? Perhaps you'd like to classify me as a "low information voter."

Cerebral Bore posted:

I find your implication that african-americans are shiftless welfare queens problematic. Maybe you should check your racism?
You're projecting a bit here. Do you deny systematic disadvantages for AAs?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agnosticnixie posted:

PA doesn't have voter ID laws.

Inversely, Virginia has strict voter ID laws and she still won the state.

Voter ID is bullshit and racist, but only blaming Voter ID is incredibly feckless and stupid.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Post the numbers.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 5, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Do you deny that african-americans can and do have jobs?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

But we are not talking about criticism. We are talking about two candidates and who had the better policies.

When Clinton criticized Sanders, the implicit (or often explicit) message was: my policies are better.

It's like if Sanders was out there criticizing Trump for not being conservative enough, it's completely disingenuous.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

We could address these institutional disadvantages but would that end racism?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Do you deny that african-americans can and do have jobs?
They have 2x the unemployment of other races across all demographics and PoC as a whole are more likely to be paid under the table. This, to you, Mr. Progressive, is working as intended I guess and something that should be defended.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

We could address these institutional disadvantages but would that end racism?
No poo poo yes, the institutional disadvantages are in part designed to segregate. Communities that are unsegregated are statistically less racist while segregated communities overwhelmingly vote Trump and want to stay segregated.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

They have 2x the unemployment of other races across all demographics and PoC as a whole are more likely to be paid under the table. This, to you, Mr. Progressive, is working as intended I guess and something that should be defended.

Why are you minimizing the african-american working class and why do you use the exploitation of part of it as justification to deny another part of it better wages? Dividing minorities against themselves is a classic racist tactic, you know.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Twice the unemployment rate of whites is terrible and symptomatic of racism in hiring, but black people are also more likely to be paid at or under minimum wage and overrepresented at any level of income below 15$ an hour.

It doesn't fix the first part but it's definitely not "candy for middle class whites."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Why are you minimizing the african-american working class and why do you use the exploitation of part of it as justification to deny another part of it better wages? Dividing minorities against themselves is a classic racist tactic, you know.

Are you unable to read?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

Well yes that is how it ou think. I mean you admitted to being a petulant child earlier.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Are you unable to read?

Are you unable to give a straight answer?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Soiled Meat

Mocking? Perhaps you'd like to classify me as a "low information voter."

What policies did HRC offer that were disproportionately beneficial to minorities that weren't offered by her opponent.

How long are you going to dodge the question, you sophist.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

She certainly was on social issues, but that's not too interesting because it's more of a function of the country or at least the democratic party being more to the left on many social issues like gay marriage and transgender rights. But I think she probably was on most issues as well-- she ran as a continuation but it's not like Obama was talking about a 15 dollar min wage to the degree she did.

Clinton only adopted the $15 minimum wage after Sanders did, though. And even then she dragged her feet on it until well into the general election.

Are you unable to read?

Please answer steinrokkan's question:

steinrokkan posted:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Are you unable to give a straight answer?
You're strawmanning me, so yes.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Twice the unemployment rate of whites is terrible and symptomatic of racism in hiring, but black people are also more likely to be paid at or under minimum wage and overrepresented at any level of income below 15$ an hour.

It doesn't fix the first part but it's definitely not "candy for middle class whites."
The first part is what matters a hell of a lot more than min wage.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

A min wage increase wont help those sign twirlers (who are disproportionately black) because they all get paid under the table. how does the poor soul dressed up like lady liberty on nebraska ave benefit from bernie's "progressivism?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Calibanibal posted:

A min wage increase wont help those sign twirlers (who are disproportionately black) because they all get paid under the table. how does the poor soul dressed up like lady liberty on nebraska ave benefit from bernie's "progressivism?"

Step 1: round up their bosses.
Step 2: guillotine.

• Locked thread