Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

It is exactly that. The boss he named is one of the bosses in the game.
If that's true and happens consistently throughout the game, I don't think it's a good fit. More on that later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I had a Big laugh when you go to meet the airsoft guy and hes like "I dont need a bunch of kids spreading rumors and talking to the police" and one of the dialouge responses was "We hate the police"

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Norns posted:

It's not that big of a deal holy loving good poo poo you guys just enjoy a thing for being weird

haha I thought this exact thing myself. Yes there a couple of translation issues but really come on. This thread gets weird sometimes.

Amazing game so far. The story is pulling me in and I'm loving the design of the menus and interstitial screens.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

ImpAtom posted:

As someone from Pennsylvania let me tell you about a little guy named Joe Paterno.

"The parents know about it but they don't care? Why?"

"Because football volleyball."

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

he1ixx posted:

haha I thought this exact thing myself. Yes there a couple of translation issues but really come on. This thread gets weird sometimes.

Amazing game so far. The story is pulling me in and I'm loving the design of the menus and interstitial screens.

The only translation wierdness I cant stand is the overly literal ones. Early on they translate yoroshiku onegaishimasu to "Please Take Care of me" when youre introducing yourself to Sojima and it made me roll my eyes.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I've only been playing for a few hours and already Morgana is 10x the cute team mascot Teddy was.

I hated Teddy.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Meme Emulator posted:

I had a Big laugh when you go to meet the airsoft guy and hes like "I dont need a bunch of kids spreading rumors and talking to the police" and one of the dialouge responses was "We hate the police"

same

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Deified Data posted:

Holy poo poo I've only been playing for a few hours and already Morgana is 10x the cute team mascot Teddy was.

I hated Teddy.

Teddie sucks until he grows himself a body imo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Meme Emulator posted:

The only translation wierdness I cant stand is the overly literal ones. Early on they translate yoroshiku onegaishimasu to "Please Take Care of me" when youre introducing yourself to Sojima and it made me roll my eyes.

Atlus Japan prolly intervened there. I usually see it translated more elegantly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Do Japanese kids with a record really get branded the way the protag does in P5? I know that students are constantly walking a tightrope in that country where their education is concerned but holy poo poo the amount of hostility you encounter in the prologue is nuts.
You're hosed if you have a criminal record in a lot of countries, but in Japan you'd stick out way more due to its low crime rate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do you think Atlus Japan were always translation assholes or they just got more cocky and up their rear end once Sega bought them and gave them no risk of being sold off again

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Meme Emulator posted:

I am very mad that that dialogue option wasn't translated as "Yo gently caress the police"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If they ding you for choosing to say you hate the police this game is bullshit.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

Teddie sucks until he grows himself a body imo.

He just got worse after that IMO. I'll be sad if Mona turns into a hawt teenage boy.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Tae posted:

Do you think Atlus Japan were always translation assholes or they just got more cocky and up their rear end once Sega bought them and gave them no risk of being sold off again

Atlus translations have always been kinda screwy, even when they were an Index subsidiary. I'm pretty sure every Etrian Odyssey game has had flat out mistranslations in them, including in skill descriptions.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

Atlus translations have always been kinda screwy, even when they were an Index subsidiary. I'm pretty sure every Etrian Odyssey game has had flat out mistranslations in them, including in skill descriptions.

But I mean specifically Japanese Atlus coming over and "correcting" the english VO. I don't remember hearing that for Catherine or for any of the p4 spin off games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Considering that the translation and even the odd pronunciations seem to let up somewhat once you're out of the first arc, I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus JP just came in, cocked everything up for a week, and then left. More than likely it was a case where they were worried about the game due to Atlus US losing its main translator, so they came in to try and help and were extremely hamhanded and out of touch about everything. There's a good number of people in Japan who think they know English better than they do - and I'm not making that statement in a weird way, there's a lot of people in the us who took spanish in high school and think they have a way better grasp on it than they do, and learning English when your first language is Japanese is a way harder thing to learn than English > Spanish. If someone like that came in and they got heavily involved not just in coaching the dub actors' pronunciations but the translation itself, there wouldn't be much Atlus USA could do.

Keep in mind this is just rampant speculation on my part, but we do know for a fact that someone from Atlus JP basically mandated the weird pronunciations, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think they got involved with some of the dialogue too.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Deified Data posted:

He just got worse after that IMO. I'll be sad if Mona turns into a hawt teenage boy.

he does transform
into a BUS gently caress YEAH MYSTERY MACHINE

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
[archangel voice] HEAR AND OBEY THE WORD OF THE LORD

Pollyanna posted:

no the dude even agrees with you. this game is thematically consistent at least

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Endorph posted:

You're hosed if you have a criminal record in a lot of countries, but in Japan you'd stick out way more due to its low crime rate.

That's because the cops are way too busy harassing school kids during the day.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Only trust your persona

The police will never help you

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I like how the description for the final miniboss of the first palace is "Torn King of Desire", although I'm not quite sure if it was Mara without the chariot, or just a demon that looks like Mara's, uh, well, head.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pollyanna posted:

They don't. Do it.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Only trust your persona

The police will never help you

What if my Persona is a kickass cop car with a cannon

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Only trust your persona

The adults will never help you

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

seeing a lot of teddie hate on this page and do not like it one bit

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

irlZaphod posted:

teddie was unbearable

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Meme Emulator posted:

But that's a HILLARIOUS line. Just meet some random guy and scream "Please take care of me!"

Game is good, Translation is fine.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Meme Emulator posted:

except he didn't say yoroshiku onegaishimasu

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

irlZaphod posted:

I saw a lot of teddie in persona 4 and i did not like one bit

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Moltrey posted:

I saw a lot of teddie in persona 4 and i did not like one bit

Look, let's all just agree to hate the kid character from 3

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Morgana only has eyes for one lady, he is a very loyal man

do not compare him to Teddie Pimpasaurus Bearsona

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Give me my persona spinoff with the persona 3 dog, teddie, Morgana, and one of the jack bros.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The best Persona mascot is clearly Ginko.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I picked "Arsene" for a name before I realized that the persona you get is the same. It's hilarious now though because my MC is constantly screaming his own name as he attacks

"WHO DO YOU THINK I AM?! ARSENE, ATTACK!"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Harlock posted:

Give me my persona spinoff with the persona 3 dog, teddie, Morgana, and one of the jack bros.
Actually just give me a spinoff with all the Jack bros

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
in the first dungeon, is there a Boss when I try to reach the treasure the first time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Actually just give me a spinoff with all the Jack bros

Wish... granted.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Just got through the marathon of cutscenes and introductory stuff, about to head into the first palace as a full group of three.

Kamoshida is every lovely gym teacher I've seen, all rolled up into one and given an extra dose of being king rear end in a top hat of poo poo mountain. I'm looking forward to kicking his rear end in his palace.

I don't like the heavy undercurrent of misogyny that's been prevalent so far. I know we're meant to see these adults as complete and utter jerks (every single one, it seems), but it gets really unnecessary and blatant at times. There was the one conversation between the two students about Ann, how you don't "mess with Kamoshida's bitch" or something like that. What the hell was the point of that little scene? The player already knows the rumors about Ann and Kamoshida, so having that scene and lines shoved in there just seems over the top.

That little nitpick aside, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game! Ryuji seems like an okay guy (dude needs to calm the hell down though - he's a real reactionary). Morgana is... okay so far. Like it's voice better than Teddy's, that's for sure.

Tokyo is a nightmare to navigate. I miss Inaba and the small town feel, and I keep hoping to run into a Junes where I'll find Yosuke as a middle aged store manager.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
how is no one talking about the biggest translation issue with this game that makes the script loving garbage.....

they're finally calling Pyro Jack "Jack O' Lantern" now and i don't like it.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Moltrey posted:

[archangel voice] HEAR AND OBEY THE WORD OF THE LORD

no the dude even agrees with you. this game is thematically consistent at least

I hope I get to have a social link with fake gun shop guy because he's hot and also seems like he'd be fun if you can get past his grumpness.