Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Could we reach a consensus that Spielberg is the greatest popcorn director of all time? I know that's usually meant as an insulting term but it's the best one I could think of. His greatest successes involve taking things that are usually viewed as low-brow concepts (shark, aliens, dinosaurs, adventurer, war) and elevating them to a level most people haven't seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Junkie Disease posted:

One Punch Man might be the gateway drug to Anime. Bad News few Anime on Streaming will live up to half the fun One Punch Man is.

One Punch Man is great. It's basically The Tick as a hot-blooded anime.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Staying Alive is on Prime and it's almost amazing how bad it is. The whole movie meanders. The script thinks it's way more clever than it really is. It tries to lean on the soundtrack and sex appeal but it's mostly 80s ballad garbage and the PG rating restricts how far they can push the sex beyond showing Travolta's abs/women in leotards.

Also holy poo poo that ending is the cringiest thing I've seen in awhile. I'm almost surprised it didn't end with him slow mo jumping in the air before the freeze frame

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 5, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Where does Warhorse fall on the list?

It's okay.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what if you could only pick one :twisted:

Obviously Joel. Joel's the director, Ethan's the writer.

I'd agree on Coen Bros, since they've crossed a lot of genres, they can do popcorn flicks and arthouse flicks, and their worst movies are only mediocre. I might say David Lynch as well, but I'll admit I should watch more Kurosawa.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

drunken officeparty posted:

Also, Aronofsky is the best director of all time hth

Ayyy you misspelled Tartovsky

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Staying Alive is on Prime and it's almost amazing how bad it is. The whole movie meanders. The script thinks it's way more clever than it really is. It tries to lean on the soundtrack and sex appeal but it's mostly 80s ballad garbage and the PG rating restricts how far they can push the sex beyond showing Travolta's abs/women in leotards.

Also holy poo poo that ending is the cringiest thing I've seen in awhile. I'm almost surprised it didn't end with him slow mo jumping in the air before the freeze frame

Yeah the ending is basically "i have to go. My planet needs me." I love this movie and i listen to the frank stallone song almost everyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtOxtpIHl8U

edit
I just got deja vu and i now know it is because i posted nearly this exact same post almost two years ago. I am so predictable.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 5, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One question is how to evaluate longevity. Is a director who is incredibly prolific better than one that isn't? You could argue that Kubrick didn't make a single bad film, but he only made 13 of them. Kurosawa directed 30, Bergman directed over 40, Hitchcock around 50, and Ford over 100. Then you have guys like Hawks and Huston who aren't in the GOAT conversation for most people, but they were undeniably great and both directed 30+ films.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Call Me Charlie posted:

Could we reach a consensus that Spielberg is the greatest popcorn director of all time? I know that's usually meant as an insulting term but it's the best one I could think of. His greatest successes involve taking things that are usually viewed as low-brow concepts (shark, aliens, dinosaurs, adventurer, war) and elevating them to a level most people haven't seen before.

If "popcorn" just means populist you've got plenty of competition from guys like Hitchcock, Ford, Wilder, Capra, Cameron, Leone, etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I dunno if you could really call Leone populist, his stuff was pretty edgy and controversial for the time.

also maybe I'm alone but lol at Cameron being on that list

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I wouldn't put him in the conversation for greatest but he's the first guy that comes to mind when I think of "popcorn" directors

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I like to imagine Cameron reading this thread and waiting for his name to come up and getting angrier and angrier as time goes by and it doesn't.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

morestuff posted:

If "popcorn" just means populist you've got plenty of competition from guys like Hitchcock, Ford, Wilder, Capra, Cameron, Leone, etc.

i bet 3/4 people couldn't name a director not named spielberg/hitchcock/cameron/scorcese and even then that might be a stretch.

edit: james cameron is the ultimate popcorn director. he puts out a movie once every decade, creates new technology to do so, and it will always ends up being an insane blockbuster

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A director who puts out a movie once a decade isn't the greatest anything.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

i bet 3/4 people couldn't name a director not named spielberg/hitchcock/cameron/scorcese and even then that might be a stretch.

edit: james cameron is the ultimate popcorn director. he puts out a movie once every decade, creates new technology to do so, and it will always ends up being an insane blockbuster

Really? Michael Bay? Christopher Nolan? Judd Apatow?

I once met a film student who wanted to be a director who couldn't name a single director except Nolan. Never heard of Kubrick, Hitchcock, Coen Bros, couldn't even name films by Spielberg. "I'm not good with names."

I hate most film students.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Really? Michael Bay? Christopher Nolan? Judd Apatow?

I once met a film student who wanted to be a director who couldn't name a single director except Nolan. Never heard of Kubrick, Hitchcock, Coen Bros, couldn't even name films by Spielberg. "I'm not good with names."

I hate most film students.

you mean "the transformers guy" "the batman guy" and "the guy who makes those funny movies"? (i asked a coworker of mine who each of them were and these were her responses)

also that film student jfc

Basebf555 posted:

A director who puts out a movie once a decade isn't the greatest anything.

why not?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Because I said so.

I have a strong dislike for Cameron.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Because I said so.

I have a strong dislike for Cameron.

Same. I can appreciate his career from '84 - '91, but gently caress that guy, we do not need 5 Avatars, just stick with putting watches on submarines and leave us alone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Same. I can appreciate his career from '84 - '91, but gently caress that guy, we do not need 5 Avatars, just stick with putting watches on submarines and leave us alone.

it's been what? 8 years, and we still only have one Avatar

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

it's been what? 8 years, and we still only have one Avatar

By the time its over he'll have spent probably somewhere in the 12-15 year range on Avatar. One of the more ridiculous wastes of a great talent that I can think of in film.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 5, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno if you could really call Leone populist, his stuff was pretty edgy and controversial for the time.

That's a straight more money=better than pick imo, Cameron has made exactly 1 great movie and a handful of really good ones.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DeimosRising posted:

That's a straight more money=better than pick imo, Cameron has made exactly 1 great movie and a handful of really good ones.

Which one is supposed to be the "great movie?"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I'd give him two great movies (Aliens and The Terminator), three if we're counting Terminator 2, which probably does qualify as a great movie but just doesn't resonate as much with me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

Aliens and T2 are great, Terminator is good, The Abyss is okay and that's all I got.

Titanic has some good moments, but it's a pop-cultural landmark, not a good movie.

edit: Boogey, that's funny you mention that. I've always argued Terminator is the better film, but always lose that argument because of T2's effects and it being more embraced by pop-culture.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 5, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'd give him two great movies (Aliens and The Terminator), three if we're counting Terminator 2, which probably does qualify as a great movie but just doesn't resonate as much with me.

Terminator is the great one, Aliens, T2, and The Abyss are all very good. I'm with you on just not loving T2 as much as its reputation, it coasts a lot on a great opening 30 minutes. Everything else is fine, I guess. I didn't even watch Avatar.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I didn't even watch Avatar.

Let me be the first to say: you missed absolutely nothing

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Surely he missed the laugh-out-loud comedy of "Unobtainium."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Avatar was a nice product of it's time as a showcase of what could be done with 3D glasses and not being hokey about it, I suspect it has aged pretty poorly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Regardless, he's been lapped by Spielberg, and probably a few times over(depending on your opinion of his work in the 2000's). Spielberg matched Cameron's two or three great movies by like 1982, and then he went on to make like 10 more. So even if we're just discussing "popcorn directors", Cameron should not be mentioned alongside Spielberg.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm very sorry you guys

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

I'm very sorry you guys

See, that wasn't so hard was it? You've learned a lesson today.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Avatar was a nice product of it's time as a showcase of what could be done with 3D glasses and not being hokey about it, I suspect it has aged pretty poorly.

It was already aging poorly by the end of the movie

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Avatar was one of the 3D movies where about two-thirds of the way through the movie I just took off the 3D glasses and kept them off. It was bit blurry, but it was also Avatar, so whatever.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

RE: Spielberg discussion, I watched The Lost World: Jurassic Park since it's on Netflix for the first time since I saw it in the theater to see if it's as bad as I remember, and I think it's even worse on a second watch. Is anyone here a fan of that movie? The most interesting character to me was Pete Postlethwaite but he seemed to be under utilized.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sand Monster posted:

RE: Spielberg discussion, I watched The Lost World: Jurassic Park since it's on Netflix for the first time since I saw it in the theater to see if it's as bad as I remember, and I think it's even worse on a second watch. Is anyone here a fan of that movie? The most interesting character to me was Pete Postlethwaite but he seemed to be under utilized.

I think it's good on it's own terms, but not as a sequel to Jurassic Park.

If you like movie analysis, this guy has some pretty good points as to why he thinks it's great, and I like his perspective on it (though I don't fully agree).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lost World is a solid creature feature but yea it doesn't hold up as a sequel to probably the best creature feature of all-time.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DeimosRising posted:

Terminator is the great one, Aliens, T2, and The Abyss are all very good. I'm with you on just not loving T2 as much as its reputation, it coasts a lot on a great opening 30 minutes. Everything else is fine, I guess. I didn't even watch Avatar.

But you already mentioned that you watched Aliens! :v:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Avatar is a remake of Ferngully, not Aliens. That would have been much better.

You can't remake Ferngully and not have Tim Curry as a badguy, especially when he's essentially just playing Franknfurter again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Avatar was a bad movie but seeing it in 3D in theaters for the first time more than made up for it. I'd never watch it a second time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Avatar was a bad movie but seeing it in 3D in theaters for the first time more than made up for it. I'd never watch it a second time though.

I'm glad Avatar exists because it definitely pushed the use of 3D forward in a direction that I really liked, but I just wish Cameron would've been satisfied with that and moved on to the next thing.