Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat I hate the suburban obsession with double-height ceilings with stupid little windows and ledges all over the place that you can't clean and stupid tacky cheap chandelier that you have to haul out a bit rear end ladder to change a bulb. Growing up I had a friend who had an amazing 1890's house that had a 2 story entry but it actually looked really nice and the 2 story part just enclosed the stairs and I had a really nice stained glass window above the door. What I don't understand is that all these patterns of architecture have been well established for centuries, but it's as if in the 80's or so we forgot all the most basic rules of form and it's become this lost art. It's so rare that I don't see a new house, even one with obviously a large budget and proper archtect involved, not have some fairly glaring basic form fuckups or stupid inexcusable ugly poo poo either internally or externally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Happy face outside
Stoned face inside

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Single family home. The rest of the house seems alright to me but the living room and the front view are... not to my taste. But picking it apart isn't quite as fun when it's not a would-be mansion.

Did they forget to build the ceiling/floor between two stories?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

God drat I hate the suburban obsession with double-height ceilings with stupid little windows and ledges all over the place that you can't clean and stupid tacky cheap chandelier that you have to haul out a bit rear end ladder to change a bulb. Growing up I had a friend who had an amazing 1890's house that had a 2 story entry but it actually looked really nice and the 2 story part just enclosed the stairs and I had a really nice stained glass window above the door. What I don't understand is that all these patterns of architecture have been well established for centuries, but it's as if in the 80's or so we forgot all the most basic rules of form and it's become this lost art. It's so rare that I don't see a new house, even one with obviously a large budget and proper archtect involved, not have some fairly glaring basic form fuckups or stupid inexcusable ugly poo poo either internally or externally.

But architects cost money!

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Qwijib0 posted:

But architects cost money!

Can't I just watch more HGTV and just figure it out? I really want stone counters and that Architect's fee is the difference.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's often actual full on architects doing this poo poo though. A contractor and a "building designer" just doing what the client says I can sort of excuse. But an architect is supposed to have gone to school and studied all these very basic artistic rules and be a professional.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Baronjutter posted:

It's often actual full on architects doing this poo poo though. A contractor and a "building designer" just doing what the client says I can sort of excuse. But an architect is supposed to have gone to school and studied all these very basic artistic rules and be a professional.

At the end of the day there some clients that still want crap... and they pay the bills. Even so I would dispute the claim "often". 99% of people now don't live in home designed by an architect. Heck, even on the commercial side people don't have the budget to match their wants and you end up with metal buildings, with stamped plans from an engineer.

Disclaimer: I am an Architect.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Architects learn about earthquakes and laws and materials and standards. You can't learn ~style~ in a classroom.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can, actually. A lot of architects go to basically art school specifically to learn the elements and processes that produce good style.

Engineers learn about earthquakes and processes and standards. Architects have to get their designs reviewed by engineers specifically because they're the experts in that domain.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
My ex had her Architecture degree from VT and she referred to it as a degree in advanced arts and crafts. That being said, she showed me why its important to pay the money for an architect and that also you CAN have whatever you want; as long as you're willing to pay for it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, that'd be my guess too. Can we point out how dumb the whole setup looks, btw? Like, outside of an office overlooking a factory floor, who puts windows in a mezzanine type thing like that?

Well, I can only guess that it's a bedroom or bathroom, and they don't want guests to hear pooping, snoring, loving noises.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wooger posted:

Well, I can only guess that it's a bedroom or bathroom, and they don't want guests to hear pooping, snoring, loving noises.

Walls do a good job of that already. The windows really are terrible. Either have it open or have a wall.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

peanut posted:

Architects learn about earthquakes and laws and materials and standards. You can't learn ~style~ in a classroom.

Well... what knowonecanknow said is pretty true. Architect's have more in common with Graphic Designers than Engineers depending on which school you went to. Most are modeled after art schools where you're have presentations and juries all day everyday. The minority are technical schools that the studio work is minimized. I like to tell people I got a degree in making pretty pictures that make you believe in the project and sell it. The engineering and practical stuff we learn about a bit in school and then a lot more in the time between school and being licensed.

Now I had some classmates that are going to be designing crap all their lives. Same as doctors... some are brain surgeons, others are your pain clinic docs.

I've dealt with clients that still want turds though. They want the McMansion but on their property, their way and not picked from a book. You often have to suck it up and pick your battles. I draw your big dumb goofy staircase because you let us do gigantic sliding doors that pocket in the wall... that sort of stuff. My own sister loves fake shutters on a home... it makes me cringe. I'd love to rip off those dumb short non-functioning bolt-ons off every home I see.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

xwing posted:

My own sister loves fake shutters on a home... it makes me cringe. I'd love to rip off those dumb short non-functioning bolt-ons off every home I see.

This should be a guillotine offense. Non functional shutters on newer houses are an abomination. Add to that the HOA enforced nothing-more-saturated-than-brick-red color scheme and it's just insufferable.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Some holmes on homes from reddit, specifically, Electrical,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yx0Z8T4q1o&t=32m12s

man looks defeated by the job that must be done.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

xwing posted:

My own sister loves fake shutters on a home... it makes me cringe. I'd love to rip off those dumb short non-functioning bolt-ons off every home I see.

Hm, if one had a brick house with those fake shutters, how bad would the bricks underneath probably be if one were to take them down? Like, a hole in each corner hopefully?

Because if the choice is between "repaint them because they're super faded" and "take them the hell down," I'm all for removing them. I'm sure the lizard living behind one won't be happy about it, but it can deal.

And if there are holes in the bricks, is that patchable?

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

TVs Ian posted:

Hm, if one had a brick house with those fake shutters, how bad would the bricks underneath probably be if one were to take them down? Like, a hole in each corner hopefully?

Because if the choice is between "repaint them because they're super faded" and "take them the hell down," I'm all for removing them. I'm sure the lizard living behind one won't be happy about it, but it can deal.

Tom Silva says you can use caulk for holes in brick. Take 'em down. Tom says it's OK.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

TVs Ian posted:

Just the holes. Usually you can see the caps that cover the screws. I'd just caulk the hole and be done. If they're faded though it means your brick under it will not be faded. You'll forever have to live with the shame of having had those on your home with the unfaded brick.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lime Tonics posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yx0Z8T4q1o&t=32m12s

man looks defeated by the job that must be done.

It was almost fun watching it hit him, piece-by-piece

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What ever happened to real shutters? Why did those go away, when obviously there are still people who like the look of shutters?

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Facebook Aunt posted:

What ever happened to real shutters? Why did those go away, when obviously there are still people who like the look of shutters?

Their purpose is limited. We have blinds to block light, A/C to regulate temperature and screens to keep bugs out. So the cheap solution for those the like the look is the bolt-on junk we have. They don't care if it doesn't function, because it's function is covered or not important.

Also we have impact glass and other mass produced hurricane/wind protection that eliminated the protection aspect.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If your house was designed and built with fake shutters, I wouldn't go pulling them off willy-nilly. It's a good way to make things start looking weird or off. That's especially true if your house is, or is based on, an older style like Victorians, Colonials, etc. At least you should do a quick & dirty photoshop mockup first.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think decorative shutters are OK if they match the style of the house, and if they're shaped and sized such that they'd cover the window correctly if they were closed.

Like on a cute cottage I wouldn't mind this:

Where they go wrong is when they're obviously both tacked on, and totally nonfunctional:

Like who thought this was a good idea?

Come on. If you closed them, the center of the window would still be exposed. They're stupid.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Leperflesh posted:

I think decorative shutters are OK if they match the style of the house, and if they're shaped and sized such that they'd cover the window correctly if they were closed.

Like on a cute cottage I wouldn't mind this:

Where they go wrong is when they're obviously both tacked on, and totally nonfunctional:

Come on. If you closed them, the center of the window would still be exposed. They're stupid.

Yeah, mine are the second kind. And painted like, Lincoln Log roof green (where they're not faded).

I think it'll look a little bare without them, but they're kind of awful. If I care enough, maybe I'll put a flower box or something under the 2 windows that currently have the fake shutters.

The doors are also painted the same green. That's also on my list of things to change.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Looks like someone wanted to recycle their old kitchen cabinet doors.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It bugs me that they put those toppers on the windows that match the door lintel, but didn't line them up.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

flosofl posted:

Walls do a good job of that already. The windows really are terrible. Either have it open or have a wall.

Good point, though with walls, you lose natural light, and there's zero point in having a mezzanine. Back to square one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh fuuuuuuuuuck

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well the fun part about posting your project online is that the internet is a ruthless foe, quick to point out your mistakes. Obviously i'm a bit vested into this project to stop now, but I do encourage any advice people may have on how to proceed. While normally I do my best to stay within code compliance (to the best of my knowledge) I may take some liberties here and there. But I'm certainly not looking to destroy my home so I don't take these things with a grain of salt and do my best to over engineer anything I may have done wrong. Code compliance issues are a dime a dozen I'm sure, but most people turn a blind eye if they never saw it happen. While I may not be doing things completely right, I don't have a blatant disregard for what I'm doing. I've invested a ridiculous amount of time into thinking about all the details of this project already.

I'm happy to share my future plans with people if that would solicit helpful advice, but telling me I did something wrong without offering any constructive advice is not helpful.

bEatmstrJ posted:

This may come as a shock, but i'm not actually a licensed contractor, just a lowly ambitious DIYer. Mistakes will be made. Fortunately I can afford my mistakes. If you're ok with builder-grade bathrooms then more power to you, but I like a different level of house.

devicenull posted:

Are those engineered I beams that you cut the top off of?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That guy is so deep in his well he's halfway to Moria already.

Lime Tonics posted:

:allears: I like that electrician. I've had a similar reaction mapping some computer networks, although those are at least unlikely to burn the house down.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
My favorite part of these poo poo DIY projects is you always look at the "before" shot and think "NO THAT'S FINE STOP DON'T RUIN IT:ohdear:"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alereon posted:

My favorite part of these poo poo DIY projects is you always look at the "before" shot and think "NO THAT'S FINE STOP DON'T RUIN IT:ohdear:"
Dude's turning a nice open concept bath into a cramped, dark thing with a huge fucknasium for a shower.

I'm not even sure where his I-beam shittery came from because his hip soaker tub doesn't look recessed in his proof of concept SketchUp.

I admire his gumption though.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
How the hell is that vanity with granite staying up on those tiny boards and compromised studs

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

I'd put a chair on top of that bit that juts out into the room, preferably with a concealed ladder to get up to it. :v:

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

The top flange of a beam is supposed to be continuous because it carries the compression from the load. Removing that flange will put all the compression loading on the web. In this case that web is just some not very strong waferboard which would fair very well in compression. The previous sub-flooring helped to transfer the load to the adjacent beams but it looks like he is doing some weird recessed tub that will create the worst kind of stresses. Keep in mind that the tub is in the center of the span which is where the stresses are at their largest. It's not only the tub loading but all dead and live loading on those beams that will be added.

The best slacker solution to avoid a filled tub with goon falling into a bedroom or living space on the lower floor is to put a post supporting the whole crazy DIY-shitfest from floor to ceiling directly under the tub. Maybe a load bearing wall? If the bed is directly under the tub, use a post hole digger to bore a hole in to the bed to make room for the post. Just be careful not to bore into the floor.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

I'd put a chair on top of that bit that juts out into the room, preferably with a concealed ladder to get up to it. :v:

That's a couch podium if I ever saw one.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Fall asleep on couch, turn in sleep, slip off couch, break your neck

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Neutrino posted:

The best slacker solution to avoid a filled tub with goon falling into a bedroom or living space on the lower floor is to put a post supporting the whole crazy DIY-shitfest from floor to ceiling directly under the tub. Maybe a load bearing wall? If the bed is directly under the tub, use a post hole digger to bore a hole in to the bed to make room for the post. Just be careful not to bore into the floor.

If there's a wall at either end that can take the loading, a couple micro-lam beams in place of those I-joists would get the job done. They'd be able to bear the weight across the span in question with less depth, allowing the tub to be recessed as desired. But installing those is going to mean more removal of floor, or ceiling if they go in from below. :toot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Dude's turning a nice open concept bath into a cramped, dark thing with a huge fucknasium for a shower.

You just described my dream bathroom. I'll start notching my joists.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I came across this thing called a Drain Hero, which is apparently an actual Shop-Vac branded product that basically seals over the drain and you can use the shop-vac to suck your drains clean. Reviews are overall pretty positive, although some of them mention that it stinks up the room a bit (no big surprise there). I just can't help but wonder if that's bad for your pipes? I suppose the pipes should be pretty resilient under negative pressure, but... this feels like one of those things where yes, you CAN do this, but you really shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ignoranus posted:

I came across this thing called a Drain Hero, which is apparently an actual Shop-Vac branded product that basically seals over the drain and you can use the shop-vac to suck your drains clean. Reviews are overall pretty positive, although some of them mention that it stinks up the room a bit (no big surprise there). I just can't help but wonder if that's bad for your pipes? I suppose the pipes should be pretty resilient under negative pressure, but... this feels like one of those things where yes, you CAN do this, but you really shouldn't.

I'm not a plumber but based on my understanding of mechanical stresses and poo poo you would need to be applying approximately 1-2 metric fucktonnes of suction to the inner walls of most pipes in order to actually somehow collapse them.

Also I'm not an engineer or physicist but wouldn't the internal suction load required to crumple a pipe be roughly equivalent to the crush forces required to do the same from the outside? With the added advantage that the suction force is being applied uniformly along the inner surface instead of just in one dimension as in the case of 400+ pounds of concrete and a stolen motorcycle being dropped onto the pipe.