Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

"the second half of full metal jacket is garbage" is the film equivalent of "nirvana and the beatles are overrated"

Ranking of Nirvana albums:
1) MTV Unplugged
2) Nevermind
3) the few good songs that can be picked from In Utero
4)
5) Bleach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Das Boo posted:

So do you guys really think the Beatles are just that great, or what?

Yes. Yes I do. :colbert:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Das Boo posted:

So do you guys really think the Beatles are just that great, or what?

The Beatles are pretty good, dude

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I guess I really don't get it. They're fine, it's catchy pop music. But their songs were repetitive, their lyrics banal and all the stuff I really liked from them came after the split.
I can't get behind being obsessed with them and thinking they're music's end-all.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I don't know anything about music history and trends, and I'm not interested in saying that The Beatles were overrated, but the thing about The Beatles, is that if you lived a million years ago, you either listened to The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, not both, and I can appreciate The Beatles, but if you want to be at a venue that plays like Yellow Submarine and Strawberry Fields Forever, rather than one that plays Paint It Black, then let's split up and meet later.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never owned a beatles album and never will

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Come to think of it, if you listened to Jimi Hendrix do The Beatles stuff, then I'm not sure why you would even consider The Beatles being the best at even being The Beatles.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Das Boo posted:

I guess I really don't get it. They're fine, it's catchy pop music. But their songs were repetitive, their lyrics banal and all the stuff I really liked from them came after the split.
I can't get behind being obsessed with them and thinking they're music's end-all.
Are they the greatest musicians of all time? No, probably not. Are they in the top 1%? Easily.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I guess I really don't get it. They're fine, it's catchy pop music. But their songs were repetitive, their lyrics banal
That's pretty much all pop music though, then as well as now. It's kind of what defines pop, and not necessarily in a negative context.

Today The Beatles' sound does show its age, but you can't really deny that they've played a pretty big role in music history. They were essentially the first (successful) boy band.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They also evolved into so much more than a boy band. Their detractors act like their career begins and ends with She Loves You.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm taking a 20-year break from the Beatles. Like everyone else my age, I got very into them as a teen (my sister buying all the digital remasters helped) so they're kinda done to death for me.

By the time I'm 40 it'll probably fun again.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Collateral Damage posted:

That's pretty much all pop music though, then as well as now. It's kind of what defines pop, and not necessarily in a negative context.

Today The Beatles' sound does show its age, but you can't really deny that they've played a pretty big role in music history. They were essentially the first (successful) boy band.

That's all fine and dandy, but as you say it's pop music. It has all the flaws and limitations of pop music. I appreciate their historical significance, but I don't think it makes their music great. There are plenty of historically significant musicians that I can enjoy the music of without context.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Das Boo posted:

all the stuff I really liked from them came after the split.

We've found him. The guy who thinks Wings is better than the Beatles

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I totally respect the fact that some people don't like the Beatles; to each his own. But I don't get where "their songs are dated" is coming from.

Just listen to whatever music you like, don't listen to what you don't like, and leave others to what they like. Bottom line.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
LOL at y'all arguing about music. LOL y'all actually care about that stuff, lol

:smirks as I sink back into my own self-satisfied certainty of superiority, my double chin bulging forth and hands resting on my belly:

:farts:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No one is required to like The Beatles, it's fine to not be into it, but when some one claims they are terrible I just assume they are dumb and not worth listening to about anything. It's just such a teenage edgelord statement.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I totally respect the fact that some people don't like the Beatles; to each his own. But I don't get where "their songs are dated" is coming from.

Do you really not get how something like "I wanna hold your hand" seems dated?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I don't get why fans of Married With Children always use the Cosby Show as an example of '80s sitcoms with perfect families. Have they ever watched an episode of Cosby? Those kids were constantly getting in trouble for slacking off in school, drinking, sneaking off without permission, etc. The point of Cosby wasn't that the Huxtables were perfect, but that they were a typical family with typical problems that ultimately loved and looked out for each other.

while the show was intended to more generally parody the family sit coms of the 80s, the shooting title of MWC before it was properly named was literally Not the Cosbys so at least the creators thought to make that comparison during production- anyway instead of just facing problems it's more like the Bundys were inherently dysfunctional whereas other contemporary families were ultimately functional even if they had to deal with the occasional bad report card or whatever

the weird thing is people at the time sometimes ended up relating more to the Bundys than to other families even tho they were a straight caricature of working class slobs, probably because they weren't afraid to deal with chronic issues nobody else would touch

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wasn't going to argue about this, but God drat this is too good:

Henchman of Santa posted:

They also evolved into so much more than a boy band. Their detractors act like their career begins and ends with She Loves You.

WampaLord posted:

Between this and the relationships thread, you are really on a roll today, wampa. You are a dumb poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Between this and the relationships thread, you are really on a roll today, wampa. You dumb poo poo.

I am in the right in that thread, y'all are goons who can't empathize with being a 17 year old girl and having emotions.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like the Beatles. I just don't love 'em. :shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like most music, so long as it's rap or country. everything else is bad.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Post Your Personally Held Unpopular Opinion: Show me your Beatles memorabilia collection

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What is the genre of halsey and chainsmokers? That's bad. Also why do music videos look like fragrance ads now.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Nope. I mean, I know where you're coming from, but I think that good music is universal across time and generations.

hard counter posted:

while the show was intended to more generally parody the family sit coms of the 80s, the shooting title of MWC before it was properly named was literally Not the Cosbys so at least the creators thought to make that comparison during production- anyway instead of just facing problems it's more like the Bundys were inherently dysfunctional whereas other contemporary families were ultimately functional even if they had to deal with the occasional bad report card or whatever

the weird thing is people at the time sometimes ended up relating more to the Bundys than to other families even tho they were a straight caricature of working class slobs, probably because they weren't afraid to deal with chronic issues nobody else would touch

True. That's one thing I'll definitely give to MWC: it was probably more realistic about certain issues than most other family sitcoms of its time. Cosby was one of the first to show a successful, loving black family, but the Huxtables were rich enough to be somewhat out of touch. Not that they never had issues, but the Bundys, like the Connors in Roseanne, were probably closer to the day-by-day experiences of a lot of people who watched that show.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

WampaLord posted:

I am in the right in that thread, y'all are goons who can't empathize with being a 17 year old girl and having emotions.

You made what the dad did out to be way worse than it was, for the sake of being provocative. Just like you picked the earliest and most dated song you could think of to represent the Beatles' body of work. You are your own worst enemy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not really fond of music, except for rap and country. and dubstep

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I loved McNuggets when I was a kid. Not so fond of them now. Somewhere in between, I was told that "way back when" they used to be part fish nugget. I have no idea whether or not that's true, but some part of me believes the story.

No, I've never looked into it.

Years ago McNuggets could have pretty much any chicken meat in them and the interior had a darker appearance. They then changed to a guarantee that all nuggets used 100% white meat. So you should be able to rest easy that McNuggets don't contain random chicken byproducts.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If the Beatles come on the radio, I won't change the station

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

True. That's one thing I'll definitely give to MWC: it was probably more realistic about certain issues than most other family sitcoms of its time. Cosby was one of the first to show a successful, loving black family, but the Huxtables were rich enough to be somewhat out of touch. Not that they never had issues, but the Bundys, like the Connors in Roseanne, were probably closer to the day-by-day experiences of a lot of people who watched that show.

yeah, that's pretty much the situation; al also ended up being something of a working class hero for a time because the show runners were alright with depicting him as a dude with base tastes who still put in his 8 hours everyday on a menial, thankless job and still tried to be a provider despite his misery and ongoing family problems, something certain people related more to than the mostly squeaky clean, erudite upper middle class leading men of the 80s

fun fact, roseanne was one of the actors slated to be peggy until they cast katey sagal

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Das Boo posted:

That's all fine and dandy, but as you say it's pop music. It has all the flaws and limitations of pop music. I appreciate their historical significance, but I don't think it makes their music great. There are plenty of historically significant musicians that I can enjoy the music of without context.

I find that most people who criticize pop music for being too simple do not actually have the musical background to understand what constitutes musical complexity. I would actually go as far as claiming that pop music is, on average, more musically complex than most non-pop genres.

I might make an exception to this lyrically, but I can't count the number of times I've seen someone comment on how complex a song was despite it actually not being remotely more complicated than even simple pop music. Among the worst examples of this are people confusing "being in a minor key" or "involving acoustic guitar" as being inherently more complex than upbeat pop tunes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pop songs are typically written by extremely talented people and then "performed" by whoever the record studio thinks will sell the most albums. There's exceptions obviously, but I agree that just because it's pop doesn't mean it's talentless.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought computer algorithms figured out how to write a hit pop song a few years ago.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought computer algorithms figured out how to write a hit pop song a few years ago.

Ha, that's been happening since the Roland MC-303 Groovebox.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The main issue with pop music is that it's super lame.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Isn't pop like a cross-genre thing that doesn't really describe anything about form or content? Like, genres can be broad and all, but something being labeled pop doesn't say anything about themes, style, commonly used instruments, or anything else. If something is popular or mainstream enough, people will start to consider it pop no matter what it is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Grandmother of Five posted:

Isn't pop like a cross-genre thing that doesn't really describe anything about form or content? Like, genres can be broad and all, but something being labeled pop doesn't say anything about themes, style, commonly used instruments, or anything else. If something is popular or mainstream enough, people will start to consider it pop no matter what it is.

Yeah, a huge variety of music falls under the heading of "pop." It's pretty much the word used to describe any music that has popular appeal and doesn't fall into some existing genre.

I wouldn't say that becoming popular makes something pop on its own though; there has to be the combination of "is popular" and "isn't some other genre."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What "pop" means changes over time. I couldn't tell you exactly what "pop appeal" means today, but I know that 10 years ago, "pop appeal" meant you used Auto-Tune in your song and had a rapper do a guest verse. Likewise, "pop appeal" in the 1980s meant you used gated reverb on your drums and you had synthesizers and a saxophone solo and "pop appeal" in the 1950s and 1960s meant you got a string orchestra and recorded Broadway songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I listen solely to New Retro Wave stuff. It is the only genre of music that can satisfy my vast universal intellect, the like of which y'all can not even fathom, so profound are my merest thoughts, the most fleeting of fancies would explode your brain if they arose within it, if your brain were even capable of producing such thoughts, which it isn't.

Why, just this instant I was thinking to myself "Poopy poop farty poops" in a sing-song "inner voice". To me, 'twas an meaningless but harmless bit of idle nonsense to while away a lazy afternoon. But to you it no doubt represents something sublime and profound, perhaps even Divine, as to be a manifestation of the highest Monad from whence all things emanate.

Anyway, here are some phat beats:

Dynatron - Dust of Saturn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ud5yDjM63I
Dynatron - Propulsion Overdrive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKHRerwGXwU
"Running in the '80s" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdaMPZtLd_c

Here's a cool remix of Crockett's Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZoGCjJTKJs

Apart from these, I am also a fan of some of the music from the 1981 film Excalibur:

The Wedding chant - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scTQuHgrhNI

So yeah, y'all can have your adorable but ineffectual little slapfights over The Beatles, if ya like. By all means, provide me with some free entertainment.