Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Gadzuko posted:

There's a set of generic guns that unlock higher ranks as you level up, like the Avenger and Mattock. There's a line that pops up onscreen to tell you when you've unlocked a new rank but it's easy to miss. Happens every 5 levels or so.

e: maybe not the Mattock, I forget what but it's a few guns in each category.

That must be it - the Mattock is one of the ones that's unlocked even though I never researched it (because I found one and apparently it sucks now :( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There are a bunch of guns and armor that level with you that you don't need to bother researching.

Or using if we're honest. Who looked at the pathfinder armor you unlock on Eos and went "yeah I want to craft that" instead of just going for the Helius Icon Armor?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How far am I from the end of the game? I can start the mission "Journey to Meridian".

Also how do i switch powers

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

How far am I from the end of the game? I can start the mission "Journey to Meridian".

Don't worry, you'll get a very clear warning (immersion breaking pop up) when you hit the point of no return.

Uh... press V on the skill screen?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Inventory limits.

https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/849326672709025793

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DancingShade posted:

There are a bunch of guns and armor that level with you that you don't need to bother researching.

Or using if we're honest. Who looked at the pathfinder armor you unlock on Eos and went "yeah I want to craft that" instead of just going for the Helius Icon Armor?
Pretty princess dress up? I've been running around in N7 armor because I'm a vanguard and it gives bonuses to biotics, but sometimes I like to put on a different hat or arms or w/e.

Game needs poo poo like the Collector armor so you can run around in a Halloween costume.

Kurtofan posted:

Go into the skills screen, select what power you want to use and map it to one of your 3 selectables. Once you've got 3 powers, tab over to profiles and you can save your particular loadout to one of them as a favorite, then during combat or whenever you can switch to a particular favorite so you can change from biotic to tech to combat depending on need or mood.

e:
Well that's great, but will they let us respec our AVP? I have 65 and that limit is fine, sure as gently caress don't need 200.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

My only problem with the inventory limit is that selling stuff is a ballache, I hate having to double click on items because it never seems to work.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Taear posted:

My only problem with the inventory limit is that selling stuff is a ballache, I hate having to double click on items because it never seems to work.

It's confusing why I can't set stuff down in say my space car or space ship or tell a space bro to carry something for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How much am I feasibly going to be able to research in a Hardcore playthrough? How miserly should I be with these points?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You don't need to buy anything ever anyway really. Well maybe some crafting materials occasionally and selling junk takes care of that.

Just break down everything you don't want into more crafting materials and only bother to sell unwanted gun mods to free up inventory space.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

socialsecurity posted:

tell a space bro to carry something for me.

They are not sworn to carry your burdens.

:j:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

cyclical posted:

They are not sworn to carry your burdens.

:j:

Oh gently caress you norse lady. Go back to sitting by the fireplace in the home I never visit.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
You know guys, for all the Angara know, Pathfinder is your name.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean I figured that was the deal but sending out a half finished piece of poo poo without the ability to build new ships (?) or have power unless the arks dock to it (? Was this just the Scourge blowing up some power plants no one ever bothered to fix or a resource thing? It's not really all that clear) is a good recipe for failure, as the Initiative found out. I get that they weren't expecting anything but still, it seems like the Nexus has literally nothing.

I mean, if the Nexus was supposed to show up first, why didn't they have any Pathfinders? They're the guys doing all the looking and exploring right? Why is that even a fancy title?

Imagine you use a magic telescope to look across the ocean. You see a beautiful coastline, good farming land, ample game, excellent rivers for trade.

You build a few ships. One you send ahead to basically build a port and quay. A few others will leave a bit later, filled with workers and explorers who will use said port and quay as a base of operations. The workers are there to expand out the port into a full town, establish outposts to gather natural resources, and build the beginnings of colonies for yet more colonists.

The trip across the ocean will be a six hundred year nap.

During that nap, the coastline is ravaged by various calamities. When you get there, the farmland is all barren and sterile, the rivers are choked up with debris and crap, and so on. The waters around the coastline are now storm-wracked almost constantly, for no good reason.

It's actually not a bad plan, as such things go, and they could hardly have anticipated poo poo going so far south.

Having finished ME:A with a 90% completion rate, I've started playing Horizon: Zero Dawn. Holy crap. I've played up to Aloy's training montage so far, and man, this is art. There was more care put into animating how a little girl moves and walks and looks around for a five-minute intro/tutorial than ME:A put into animation at all, it seems.

On the other hand, when Ryder climbs stairs, Ryder climbs stairs. When little girl climbs stairs, she walks up a 45 degree incline, including bracing hands and feet on the empty air between steps.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Something bothering me so far is that for a dude with a fetish for AI, there is a severe lack of utility VIs in the game.

Otherwise, just finished Eos and starting to get into multiplayer. Vanguard is real good at setting off combos.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

She lives in a hut so there aren't any stairs in her house and she's not protected, she shouldn't be expected to know how they work.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

socialsecurity posted:

She lives in a hut so there aren't any stairs in her house and she's not protected, she shouldn't be expected to know how they work.

The problem isn't that little girl is unfamiliar with stairs; it's that H:ZD plays 'anim_paddling_up_stairs_1' where ME:A uses inverse kinematics to figure out how a body would need to move to climb stairs.

On the other hand, H:ZD plays 'anim_petulant_little_girl_1' and drat, the kid looks exactly like a petulant seven year old, while ME:A attempts to use some sort of procedural face modelling, and fails miserably.

I'm more pointing out that each system has it's drawbacks, than anything else.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

TheCenturion posted:

Having finished ME:A with a 90% completion rate, I've started playing Horizon: Zero Dawn. Holy crap. I've played up to Aloy's training montage so far, and man, this is art. There was more care put into animating how a little girl moves and walks and looks around for a five-minute intro/tutorial than ME:A put into animation at all, it seems.

Horizon is a drat good game and clearly had a ton of attention and care.

I like Andromeda quite a bit, but it and Horizon are on completely different levels in writing, style, and animation.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah HZD has that show not tell thing down pat, nonverbal communication that is both natural looking and emotive is way more impressive than lip syncing a model.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheCenturion posted:

Imagine you use a magic telescope to look across the ocean. You see a beautiful coastline, good farming land, ample game, excellent rivers for trade.

You build a few ships. One you send ahead to basically build a port and quay. A few others will leave a bit later, filled with workers and explorers who will use said port and quay as a base of operations. The workers are there to expand out the port into a full town, establish outposts to gather natural resources, and build the beginnings of colonies for yet more colonists.

During that nap, the coastline is ravaged by various calamities. When you get there, the farmland is all barren and sterile, the rivers are choked up with debris and crap, and so on. The waters around the coastline are now storm-wracked almost constantly, for no good reason.

It's actually not a bad plan, as such things go, and they could hardly have anticipated poo poo going so far south.

On the other hand, when Ryder climbs stairs, Ryder climbs stairs. When little girl climbs stairs, she walks up a 45 degree incline, including bracing hands and feet on the empty air between steps.

I like to think I'd assume I'd need to explore before the rest get there, and to prepare for danger.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheCenturion posted:

They have six hundred years of travel time, ample parts in storage onboard (given they seem to be building the Nexus without fabricating from any mined materials right from the get-go), and we know Mass Effect has semi-intelligent humanoid robots. Plunk a SAM AI (or even just a supervising VI) onboard the Nexus to supervise and spend those six centuries finishing the Nexus with robot builders. Even just getting key systems online.

Also just ramming the ships into the Scourge is dumb in itself. They have had six hundred years for automated systems to maybe stop and take a look ahead for course-changing, and not slam head-first into a dark matter event blindly.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 5, 2017

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They have six hundred years of travel time, ample parts in storage onboard (given they seem to be building the Nexus without fabricating from any mined materials right from the get-go), and we know Mass Effect has semi-intelligent humanoid robots. Plunk a SAM AI (or even just a supervising VI) onboard the Nexus to supervise and spend those six centuries finishing the Nexus with robot builders. Even just getting key systems online.

Also just ramming the ships into the Scourge is dumb in itself. They have had six hundred years for automated systems to maybe stop and take a look ahead for course-changing, and not slam head-first into a dark matter event blindly.

I dunno why the Nexus hit the Death Cloud of Doom, but the Hyperion did it because their sensor array malfunctioned. Why they only have a single sensor array is, you know, stupid, but that's what a datapad/SAM said in the beginning.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DancingShade posted:

You don't need to buy anything ever anyway really. Well maybe some crafting materials occasionally and selling junk takes care of that.

Just break down everything you don't want into more crafting materials and only bother to sell unwanted gun mods to free up inventory space.

I guess I find looting stupid annoying busywork so I often don't look at what I'm gathering up. If it's a weapon I might do but otherwise, eh.

Which means I don't deconstruct them because I haven't noticed what's scrap and what's an augment or etc etc. So then I have a full inventory and trying to empty it out takes AGES of clicking in the useless hard to scroll console menu.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Admiral Ray posted:

I dunno why the Nexus hit the Death Cloud of Doom, but the Hyperion did it because their sensor array malfunctioned. Why they only have a single sensor array is, you know, stupid, but that's what a datapad/SAM said in the beginning.

It's large enough that you can see the goddamn thing with the naked eye from several hundreds of thousands of kilometers away, given you can see the drat thing on the galaxy map. Just shooting blind straight at a destination right from the Milky Way without stopping every so often to make sure there isn't a rogue planet/comet/random space thing in your way is just poor writing. Especially if your sole sensor array isn't working right. You spend six hundred years flying in cryo, you can wait a few days to fix your ship first instead of flying blind.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
A sensor array very specifically cannot help with the Scourge. The whole point of dark energy is that it is unreadable on any known electromagnetic wavelength but still exists. That's why they have so much trouble navigating through it save with geniuses like Kallo, or the asari stealing from the kett a century's worth of charting. Thus automation would have made the problem worse: A VI would only be as good as its sensors and wouldn't be able to correct like a Kallo would.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

A sensor array very specifically cannot help with the Scourge. The whole point of dark energy is that it is unreadable on any known electromagnetic wavelength but still exists. That's why they have so much trouble navigating through it save with geniuses like Kallo, or the asari stealing from the kett a century's worth of charting. Thus automation would have made the problem worse: A VI would only be as good as its sensors and wouldn't be able to correct like a Kallo would.

they kinda hosed that all up by making it visible then :colbert:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's large enough that you can see the goddamn thing with the naked eye from several hundreds of thousands of kilometers away, given you can see the drat thing on the galaxy map. Just shooting blind straight at a destination right from the Milky Way without stopping every so often to make sure there isn't a rogue planet/comet/random space thing in your way is just poor writing. Especially if your sole sensor array isn't working right. You spend six hundred years flying in cryo, you can wait a few days to fix your ship first instead of flying blind.

You can't just stop the drat ship, most of the fuel used to travel in space is for acceleration. It costs the same amount of fuel to decelerate without a gravity well because space brakes don't exist, and doing that kinda stop-n-go bullshit is how you run out of gas real fast.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

RBA Starblade posted:

How much am I feasibly going to be able to research in a Hardcore playthrough? How miserly should I be with these points?

Very, you probably aren't going to be able to max out more than 1/4 or so of the available items.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

So in a rare combination of good writing/animation/voice acting there's a point in the final mission where Ryder goes "Kallo, how close can you get to the Scourge?" and Kallo cringes away from her at the question and in a hilariously small and worried voice says "...too close?"

it legit made me laugh so good job on that sequence whoever put it together

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Piell posted:

Very, you probably aren't going to be able to max out more than 1/4 or so of the available items.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Reclaimer posted:

You can't just stop the drat ship, most of the fuel used to travel in space is for acceleration. It costs the same amount of fuel to decelerate without a gravity well because space brakes don't exist, and doing that kinda stop-n-go bullshit is how you run out of gas real fast.

No, cause of E Zero and Mass Effect fields. But, they might not have tried to do that with the Nexus cause it's huge.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What is a Hainly Abrams and why was he/she/it so offensive?

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

lol

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I haven't played a game where I had to keep reminding myself to just suspend my disbelief in order to enjoy it.

I can't fault anyone for not being willing to do that, though, I have a high tolerance for 'just ignore the glaring issue and forge on'.

But yeah if you think about it for any length of time at all it really falls apart.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Kirios posted:

a minor character that did not follow the established protocol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Tiny Deer posted:

I haven't played a game where I had to keep reminding myself to just suspend my disbelief in order to enjoy it.

I can't fault anyone for not being willing to do that, though, I have a high tolerance for 'just ignore the glaring issue and forge on'.

But yeah if you think about it for any length of time at all it really falls apart.

You just described my experience with Assassin's Creed: Unity.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The crafting and research mechanics in this game are both confusing and boring. Is there anything that I really should craft in order to maximize fun, or can I ignore the whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kirios posted:

I think that was the storeowner where the conversation was summed up as "Hi, what brought you to Andromeda?" "Hello. I'm transgender."