Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Things you don't want when you're a full time remote worker: the entire VPN appliance to fail.

Drinking is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

LethalGeek posted:

Things you don't want when you're a full time remote worker: the entire VPN appliance to fail.

Drinking is good.

What? It's the best thing, you don't have to work.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
An email came in, from one of our airline clients...

quote:

Could you please act really fast – we have an emergency here.
Our server partner deleted our web server + backup. We have the sql server ready and the data is there (luckily 😊)
Can you please set up our web if we proovide you web server creditials (partner will create new web server from scratch)
This is top urgent thing as we are completley down now
We can have a quick call if needed
:kheldragar:

I fixed everything real quick, but :wtc:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

What? It's the best thing, you don't have to work.

I had to get all stressed out assuming something at my house hosed up until that was obviously not the case then when they rebooted the box I had spend another chunk of time figuring out why I still couldn't get connected. I wish it was more welp you all deal with it.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Truga posted:

An email came in, from one of our airline clients...

:kheldragar:

I fixed everything real quick, but :wtc:

I'm surprised that didn't read former server partner because holy poo poo :psyduck:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LethalGeek posted:

Drinking is good.

We broke a Fortinet by enabling logging, they used really lovely flash memory on the model we had.

You end up creating a slow, randomly failing situation when the disk breaks.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call came in:

I got a job and I start Monday!

Its part time and for a very small MSP ( I will be one of two employees including the owner) but its something.

:yotj:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in:

Its part time and for a very small MSP ( I will be one of two employees including the owner) but its something.

Hooray!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pr0digal posted:

I'm surprised that didn't read former server partner because holy poo poo :psyduck:

Yeah, that's the most baffling part out of that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in:

hooray, but an MSP. :smith:

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in:

neato :)

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in:

:woop:

I work for an MSP (or a VAR or whatever the hell we actually are, systems integrators?), it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.

I say this as I log onto a client's fibre switch and find that an entire blade has gone offline for no reason. loving QLogic

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 5, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in:

Hey, congrats! We should get a drink and you can tell me all the stories you couldn't post here! :D

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Hey, congrats! We should get a drink and you can tell me all the stories you couldn't post here! :D

ill be honest, I've half considered writing a book. 15 years of help desk gives you a lot of stories.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DigitalMocking posted:

hooray, but an MSP. :smith:

Yup, I work for one right now and I'm working on getting the gently caress out ASAP. Nothing against MSPs in general and I've learned a LOT here, but when management/leadership don't give a gently caress about work/life balance or job satisfaction, I stop giving a gently caress about them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bob Morales posted:

We broke a Fortinet by enabling logging, they used really lovely flash memory on the model we had.

You end up creating a slow, randomly failing situation when the disk breaks.

That just sounds like automated entrapment prevention.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:nsavince:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I must work at a Unicorn MSP then :unsmith:

My sometimes lack of work/life balance is usually my own fault and not that of management. If I break 40 hours in a week or do weekend work I'm given a comp/flex day during the week and not expected to keep an eye on Slack/e-mails/cases. Taking vacations is encouraged (and vacation days are generous too).

Granted there is a big push to make everybody hit 40 hours a week and be as billable as possible but since I actually hit those metrics I'm not harassed about it.

If you're in the Baltimore/DC area and are interested in working for a media-focused MSP/VAR then hit me up. We're hiring! Linux/SAN knowledge a plus. I'm doing something like 5 or 6 petabytes of SAN installations over a few different clients over the next few months. Downside is that the QXS-656s are ludicrously heavy. But up to 448 TB in 4U is the upside.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 5, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

blackswordca posted:

ill be honest, I've half considered writing a book. 15 years of help desk gives you a lot of stories.
FIFTEEN? I'm at three and I am ready to pull my hair out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Javid posted:

"bluetooth audio directly into your brain" is a thing I, a hearing person, would totally have done.

I'd ask how the music quality is if the average recipient of such a device had any basis for comparison.

Do you have to plug something into your actual head to recharge it?

This came up in another thread, the internal device gets power and signal through your skin via induction from the external microphone/battery device.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

pr0digal posted:

I must work at a Unicorn MSP then :unsmith:

My sometimes lack of work/life balance is usually my own fault and not that of management. If I break 40 hours in a week or do weekend work I'm given a comp/flex day during the week and not expected to keep an eye on Slack/e-mails/cases. Taking vacations is encouraged (and vacation days are generous too).

Granted there is a big push to make everybody hit 40 hours a week and be as billable as possible but since I actually hit those metrics I'm not harassed about it.

When I left the MSP that was subject of most of my posts a few years ago I had almost 2 months of vacation time they had to pay out. Getting more than a day or two off in a row was damned near impossible. Plus they expected a LOT of after hours free work. I am still friends with some people there and most of the T2's there still work 12-15 hour days.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

blackswordca posted:

When I left the MSP that was subject of most of my posts a few years ago I had almost 2 months of vacation time they had to pay out. Getting more than a day or two off in a row was damned near impossible. Plus they expected a LOT of after hours free work. I am still friends with some people there and most of the T2's there still work 12-15 hour days.

If we do after hours works we're either given a late start the next day or a full day off depending on how long the after hours work is. Like if I'm doing an overnight SAN upgrade my day doesn't start until like 6pm so I'm effectively off in the morning. We do have an on call rotation but it's only for clients with service agreements and they have to call the service line after hours. If some dipshit doesn't call and just e-mails/sends a slack message at 3am then that's on them and not you (this has happened).

There are certain ~special snowflake~ clients who make things difficult but they're offset by the great clients. Granted we're also a media-focused MSP who focus on SAN and Media Asset Management and post-production workflows so we might be the exception to the MSP rule. We do some managed IT work (and are starting to take on more) but the majority of the time we're only responsible for "things that touch the SAN"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

omg

"We can't see the projector very well"

The lights are on in the room, and windows are open.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

pr0digal posted:

If we do after hours works we're either given a late start the next day or a full day off depending on how long the after hours work is. Like if I'm doing an overnight SAN upgrade my day doesn't start until like 6pm so I'm effectively off in the morning. We do have an on call rotation but it's only for clients with service agreements and they have to call the service line after hours. If some dipshit doesn't call and just e-mails/sends a slack message at 3am then that's on them and not you (this has happened).

There are certain ~special snowflake~ clients who make things difficult but they're offset by the great clients. Granted we're also a media-focused MSP who focus on SAN and Media Asset Management and post-production workflows so we might be the exception to the MSP rule. We do some managed IT work (and are starting to take on more) but the majority of the time we're only responsible for "things that touch the SAN"

There are days I've started work at 8am, finished at 10pm, back in at 8 the next day. I only ever get banked hours if it was a scheduled after hours request. Something like software update. If I get a call or a request at 4:55pb from a VIP and it takes me 5 hours, tough poo poo. The two local MSPs I've worked for have been like that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

blackswordca posted:

That's one thing I don't miss about that kind of work. At least on my network I know if I'm going to be home by 5:00, or I can decide not to pull an all-nighter and try the upgrade again some other day. Nothing like being stuck at a client's forever.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

omg

I have a presentation room with tons of lights and a wall made of glass, and constantly get complaints that our high end projector is the problem.

When it's replaced I'll either go with a theater projector or wall of no-bezel TVs because people can't think to lower the blinds.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in:

Congrats! BTW did you ever read the PM I sent you?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I have a presentation room with tons of lights and a wall made of glass, and constantly get complaints that our high end projector is the problem.

When it's replaced I'll either go with a theater projector or wall of no-bezel TVs because people can't think to lower the blinds.
"But if it's dark people will fall asleep!"

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Anyone else going to Kaseya Connect in Las Vegas next month?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Or automatic blinds that are tied to the projector. Turn on the projector, the blinds automatically close. It'll look fancy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

duz posted:

Or automatic blinds that are tied to the projector. Turn on the projector, the blinds automatically close. It'll look fancy.

That makes people lazy and stupid. Idiots can learn how to close some drat blinds.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bob Morales posted:

omg

"Just fix it! What do we even pay you for!"

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
So we recently expanded a client's SAN. They are now asking for a system that can "track usage over time and see how much has come in and gone out of certain folders" as well as "how many folders have been added"

I know with Media Asset Management systems you can track assets added and removed from a system but does anybody know of anything that can track filesystem usage on a per folder basis? This is a StorNext SAN

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

GreenNight posted:

That makes people lazy and stupid. Idiots can learn how to close some drat blinds.

You say that, but on the other hand, human history.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in:

loving grats dude! A job's a job's a job.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Some people are just really good at helpdesk v:shobon:v

it's me, i'm really good at helpdesk :(

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Ill be completely honest, I have no idea how Ive done it.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

pr0digal posted:

track filesystem usage on a per folder basis?

This might be a start - FolderSizes is pretty much a swiss army knife for disk space managing.

http://www.foldersizes.com/screens/trendanalysis

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Migishu posted:

loving grats dude! A job's a job's a job.

Some people are just really good at helpdesk v:shobon:v

it's me, i'm really good at helpdesk :(
I am too, but I dont think I could do it for fifteen years. I am currently suffering from, as I call it, "The burden of competence" and am the go-to guy in the company (of like 500 people) about a whole bunch of things, train the new people, and still work more tickets than the two level2s ahead of me.

blackswordca posted:

Ill be completely honest, I have no idea how Ive done it.
I have no idea how I could do it. I'm facing some mild burnout after three years and two months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

I have no idea how I could do it. I'm facing some mild burnout after three years and two months.

If you have nothing new to learn or interesting to hold you over, it's time to move to another job.

Not necessarily changing jobs, but job sites.

• Locked thread