Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Hey here's a weird question but are there any good arcade-style golf games for the PC?

I don't care much for the actual sport and I don't think I'd enjoy a realistic interpretation,
But i have always enjoyed games like mario golf or hot shots golf just as a fun way to pass the time and feel relaxed.

Is there anything out like that on the PC.
Don't own any consoles but I suppose I could legally make use of an emulator if I needed to.

Party Golf might be the arcade golf thing you're seeking, if the 2D view is still acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

I loved the last act. I took it mainly as a metaphor for the scary skeletal things that deep down hurt you if you don't want change but it was also fun for the weird creepy poo poo it introduced.

Yeah pretty much. It was pretty much an extreme, Lovecraftian extension of Mae's desire for things in town to remain the same.The kicker is of course that it's all a lie the town is telling itself. As the creature tells Mae, he doesn't even understand what those people are doing and what they want from him. He frankly doesn't care and wants them to leave him alone. All they're doing to prevent change isn't even working and their sacrificing people for nothing in a desperate attempt to keep their dying little town afloat. While the creature represents the desire to keep things the same, it also embodies the fact that no force can actually accomplish that.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I wish I could get over my prejudice for the social sim aspect of Persona because everything else about P5 looks amazing

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The social sim aspect of P4 was my favorite part of that game. Having an OK/passable battle system and such was more of a nice supplement, all told.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I don't necessarily mind it if I can say just pick the characters I like and do their stuff but I hear all this stuff about P4 requiring minmaxing of all the social stuff to see all of the main story and that sounds like something that could spoil the fun for me if that's the case

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can just hang out with who you want and you don't have to minmax anything

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i want to hang out with ryuji, in real life...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yeah pretty much. It was pretty much an extreme, Lovecraftian extension of Mae's desire for things in town to remain the same.The kicker is of course that it's all a lie the town is telling itself. As the creature tells Mae, he doesn't even understand what those people are doing and what they want from him. He frankly doesn't care and wants them to leave him alone. All they're doing to prevent change isn't even working and their sacrificing people for nothing in a desperate attempt to keep their dying little town afloat. While the creature represents the desire to keep things the same, it also embodies the fact that no force can actually accomplish that.

i went to read this spoiler because i know ill never play this dumb game but i couldn't even be bothered to read the whole thing

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Nina posted:

I wish I could get over my prejudice for the social sim aspect of Persona because everything else about P5 looks amazing

Social links are my favorite part of Persona games, they're all really weird and generally follow interesting themes.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

You can just hang out with who you want and you don't have to minmax anything

Post/Av combo

I'm trying to grow out my hair so I look like the P5 protagonist IRL

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nina posted:

I don't necessarily mind it if I can say just pick the characters I like and do their stuff but I hear all this stuff about P4 requiring minmaxing of all the social stuff to see all of the main story and that sounds like something that could spoil the fun for me if that's the case
Categorically incorrect. You have to min/max if you want to do all of the S. Links, but S. Links don't really count as "story" unless you are talking about your party members or obviously important characters like Nanako/Dojima/Adachi/Marie since that's where a lot of their character development is to be found. It is strongly, strongly recommend that you not min/max poo poo in P4 the first time through, you save that for NG+ when you have max social stats and such.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Nate RFB posted:

Categorically incorrect. You have to min/max if you want to do all of the S. Links, but S. Links don't really count as "story" unless you are talking about your party members or obviously important characters like Nanako/Dojima/Adachi/Marie since that's where a lot of their character development is to be found. It is strongly, strongly recommend that you not min/max poo poo in P4 the first time through, you save that for NG+ when you have max social stats and such.

Huh I'm pretty sure someone told me that stuff was mandatory to unlock some kind of true ending. I'm really glad if that's not the case though

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only requirement for getting the True Ending in P4 is that you make a series of choices during an important cutscene and choosing to visit Junes at the very very very end even though the game makes it sound like you're all done. The only thing forcibly tied to a S. Link is Marie's link, which unlocks a bonus dungeon and an epilogue. But that's just one link of many and it's super easy to max that out by just focusing on it a bit and ignoring lamer links.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my good friend ryuji saKAAHH

moto

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

i want to hang out with ryuji, in real life...

Same but Wario.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nina posted:

That's definitely not the case in Persona 4. You can just hang out with the characters you like and you'll be fine. There's strong incentive to max out the social links of party members because they get a power boost at the end, but not doing so doesn't affect the main story as far as I'm aware. Like the others said, the true ending is entirely dependent on choices you make during normal story stuff and has nothing to do with social links.

I haven't gotten to start Persona 5 yet but I know the social links ("confidants" this time) offer you some cool special abilities like increasing how much experience inactive party members get or letting you have extra time to do things during the day so it might encourage a bit more min-maxing, but at the same time I doubt it affects the story.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i don't want to hang out with any video game characters irl cuz they know nothing of our world and would probably have a psychotic break if they were to enter it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Nina posted:

Back when P4 came out I played it very casually and used no guides and still managed to max all but one or two of social links. But even then there's absolutely no demand for it, you can just pick your favorite characters and befriend them at your leisure.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Nate RFB posted:

The only requirement for getting the True Ending in P4 is that you make a series of choices during an important cutscene and choosing to visit Junes at the very very very end even though the game makes it sound like you're all done. The only thing forcibly tied to a S. Link is Marie's link, which unlocks a bonus dungeon and an epilogue. But that's just one link of many and it's super easy to max that out by just focusing on it a bit and ignoring lamer links.

I am relieved and much more likely to pick up P5 now

Thanks!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah have fun selecting any characters you like for your party and maxing whatever social link you like best in P4/P5. No need to be optimal about it, you'll probably be able to get through things fine.

The most non-spoiler thing I can recommend for P5 "min max" poo poo though is to do social link stuff for the doctor character. You get great SP-regen items through that.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Went out yesterday to buy a computer chair, came home with a friend

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

He is not properly buckled and could have been hurt you monster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

He is not properly buckled and could have been hurt you monster.

He's a mindless slave-creature created to fight whose very DNA is barely held together and prone to random mutations for improved combat capability. Who cares? :colbert:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Went out yesterday to buy a computer chair, came home with a friend

For some reason I had a really hard time parsing this image. At first I thought the little lap belt was a giant banner in the background and you bought some like 16 foot inflatable thing.

I figured it out though.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Is the Pokeworld exclusively vegetarian? Even down to the Pokemon themselves? There are some mon like Golbat and Weepingbell (Gen 1 4 lyfe) that seem designed to eat prey (not to mention the larger Pokemon that would presumably have a much larger caloric requirement) but I can't recall any instance of a Pokemon researcher feeding Ratatas or Caterpees to larger captive mons, or other more benign references to meat in the Pokeworld. Is it salads all the way down? Inquiring minds want to know.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
People eat pokemon as food.

What's going to really blow your mind is "are there non-pokemon animals in the ecosystem?"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I seem to remember a great thread in Games once upon a time that was literally titled "Do they eat Pokemon in the Pokemon world?" and really went places.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is the Pokeworld exclusively vegetarian? Even down to the Pokemon themselves? There are some mon like Golbat and Weepingbell (Gen 1 4 lyfe) that seem designed to eat prey (not to mention the larger Pokemon that would presumably have a much larger caloric requirement) but I can't recall any instance of a Pokemon researcher feeding Ratatas or Caterpees to larger captive mons, or other more benign references to meat in the Pokeworld. Is it salads all the way down? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sun and Moon says that people eat Slowpoke tails, but also that their tails fall off naturally and painlessly and regrow on their own so people aren't slaughtering Slowpokes for their tails.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Who's job is it to go around and pick up all the spent poke-balls on the ground from all those times somebody fails to catch one?

e: what confuses me is like poo poo like oddish exists but normal rear end grass is not a pokemon ??? and not all rocks are dudes?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

suuma posted:

Who's job is it to go around and pick up all the spent poke-balls on the ground from all those times somebody fails to catch one?

e: what confuses me is like poo poo like oddish exists but normal rear end grass is not a pokemon ???

they explode, that's where voltorb comes from

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is it possible that humans are just extremely advanced pokemon

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in an ecosystem where dogs bark lasers how did the human race not get driven to extinction before inventing the wheel

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

Is it possible that humans are just extremely advanced pokemon

NieR: Automata (2017)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

in an ecosystem where dogs bark lasers how did the human race not get driven to extinction before inventing the wheel

I think that non-pokemon animals used to exist, and pokemon evolved (considering what evolution means in pokemon, this makes perfect sense) as an invasive species and all non pokemon animals went extinct.

edit: Any sufficiently evolved pokemon is indistinguishable from human.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just got a free burger at my favorite snack bar, feeling #blessed.

Should I play DKCR or Bayonetta to celebrate?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

play tropical freeze

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

play tropical freeze

I have to play Returns first! Tropical Freeze is on the shelf waiting patiently.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clearly you should be playing Burger Time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Tropical Freeze sounds like something you'd see on a taco bell menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's weird because only the last world is frozen​

• Locked thread