Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone play Skyrim with vorpX? What's it like? I wanna try it i think, but i can't budget 40bux for a couple of weeks so might as well spend the time doing research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Dongattack posted:

Anyone play Skyrim with vorpX? What's it like? I wanna try it i think, but i can't budget 40bux for a couple of weeks so might as well spend the time doing research.

I only tried it once and I still need to go back and tweak things to work better, but even with crazy zoom and giant honking cartoon arms it was goddamn magical. Takes some fiddling to get it running, but this is Skyrim we're talking about. And it played perfectly nicely with my full complement of mods through Mod Organizer.

If you don't mind it being a bit of a project, go for it. Seems like the rewards will be well worth it, and you can use your mod manager of choice to handle the INIs too (plus vorpX backs them up if things go sideways).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I only tried it once and I still need to go back and tweak things to work better, but even with crazy zoom and giant honking cartoon arms it was goddamn magical. Takes some fiddling to get it running, but this is Skyrim we're talking about. And it played perfectly nicely with my full complement of mods through Mod Organizer.

If you don't mind it being a bit of a project, go for it. Seems like the rewards will be well worth it, and you can use your mod manager of choice to handle the INIs too (plus vorpX backs them up if things go sideways).

Skyrim has always been a project that's fun to work on, so i don't mind that! What happens if you lean irl? Like, can you lean forward to look over a edge or lean to the sides to look around a corner and that translates into something in the game?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Is sound boxing better than audio shield?
I only have 15 hours in Audioshield and had an hour in Soundboxing until this past weekend. As you can see, I was firmly in the Audioshield camp and have expressed that many times here. Audioshield seemed to me that it had a better system for generating blobs that used more of the space and didn't have all that crap popping up like multiplier explosions and stuff that I find so distracting. It could generate something playable from any song anywhere and didn't look cartoony.

That all changed this past weekend when there was a Soundboxing update and I decided to give it another try. It is so much better than when I first played it, which was when it first was released. Human made beatmaps are great because the blobs have purpose. They match much better to the beat of the music and, for the good maps, come at you in a natural way. The maps allow people to create "stunts" like arm swaps and and body rotations that actually feel like they make sense instead of the synthesized challenges of Audioshield's algorithms. Audioshield also had a tendency to make things hard by just putting blobs far out in the peripheral which could be easy to miss given the optics of a VR display.

There is literally no load screen between songs, it happens just about as fast as you can click stuff. It never made sense to me that I had a long loading screen between songs in Audioshield, despite the song playing -before- you got to the loading screen. The UI is much easier to get around in, and it has voice search which is forehead-smackingly brilliant considering what a oval office typing on the virtual keyboard in Audioshield is.

So yeah I am firmly in the Soundboxing camp now. The only downside is it relies on someone doing a decent beatmap for the song you want to do. I have put a couple hours in since Sunday (and my shoulders are loving tired!) and I've only come across one really lovely one-- most seem great and a rest are good enough.

Can anyone solve my problem though? About 3-4 times per song, my headset loses tracking for half second which freezes the display / starts to show me the lobby, but it immediately picks back up. I play a lot of VR (and Audioshield) in the same space and don't see the same hickups. Is there something I should do? i5-4690K @4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070, 850 EVO SSD, latest drivers, SteamVR Beta, nothing else running.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd give Soundboxing a shake if someone would do beatmaps for more FFXIV music :(

(e: i'm assuming the search on soundboxing.co is authoritative)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Another big update for The Unspoken: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/63ep6d/the_unspoken_arcane_update_30_is_live/
These guys really do sound committed to building on the game. In that thread the dev mentions adding coop and, most excitingly, a more in-depth single-player experience.

Also - new episode of Projections has a review of Rock Band which actually makes it sound pretty cool: https://youtu.be/RJOJOQFGnqY

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

CapnBry posted:

Can anyone solve my problem though? About 3-4 times per song, my headset loses tracking for half second which freezes the display / starts to show me the lobby, but it immediately picks back up. I play a lot of VR (and Audioshield) in the same space and don't see the same hickups. Is there something I should do? i5-4690K @4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070, 850 EVO SSD, latest drivers, SteamVR Beta, nothing else running.

Are you on Vive or Oculus? I had nothing but problems with beta Steam VR, seems much better now that I'm on stable release.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I only tried it once and I still need to go back and tweak things to work better, but even with crazy zoom and giant honking cartoon arms it was goddamn magical.
Get the Immersive First Person mod to fix the oversized first-person arms. Skyrim in VorpX certainly isn't perfect, and boy does that game love crashing, but it works the best it can. The last VorpX update added some nice performance tweaks to the recommended settings as well as support for leaning the viewport, or moving your character when your HMD moves. You will have to play on mouse + keyboard because the gamepad emulation is not functionally worthwhile. VorpX is a bit pricey but it seems like the creator goes back and improves all supported games with each update. Personally, I've not been able to play Skyrim for a long time in VorpX because of movement quirks that lead to queasiness and crashing (probably from my enormous mod setup). But it works.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I noticed some lag in onward yesterday that I think is coming from my CPU maxing out. My 1080ti only hits like 50% and 70c, but my i5 4670k is at 99%-100%. Any settings I can change to alleviate this a bit?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My opinion on soundboxing basically echoes the guy above. It was a ton, a TON of fun. The 'popular' songs are all anime stuff as has been mentioned, but once you go a few screens deep or go into the specific genres, there's a lot of other good stuff. You're not going to be able to put on an hour long mix or whatever and groove out like you can with Audioshield, but that's really a small price to pay. The actual gameplay is just a ton of fun and all the beatmaps I tried were a blast. It really has that quality that games like Rockband have where you're maybe not a huge fan of the song but the gameplay makes you like it regardless.

I still am a big fan of Audioshield, and think the beats match up in it a lot better than some claim, but you just can't beat a well put together beatmap. And at less than 9 bucks canadian there's really no reason not to just have both.

And yes, Shake It Off is a lot of fun in Soundboxing. A lot of fun.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I also grabbed some other new stuff yesterday:

Serious Sam Second Encounter: if you own the other two SS games in VR you should get this, the bundle discount makes it $24 CDN. Graphics are much better than 1st E, with some pretty godrays and vegetation and stuff. Levels are a lot longer too - first level took 16 mins, compared to an average of like 4-5 mins for 1st encounter. Would consider a must buy so far if you can handle the locomotion.

poo poo gotta run but I also got soundstage vr and lyra vr if anyone wants an opinion on those from someone with no music production experience.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

App13 posted:

I noticed some lag in onward yesterday that I think is coming from my CPU maxing out. My 1080ti only hits like 50% and 70c, but my i5 4670k is at 99%-100%. Any settings I can change to alleviate this a bit?

Overclock that i5 if you haven't.

I found out that BigScreen with the latest update uses up my entire 6 core 3930K when doing my 2 screens, and showing the screens of 3 others, then throwing V on top of it lol.

Without V, its at about 75-80%, but with V it hits 95-100%. Seems like each screen is about 15% load and has it's own process in the task manager so yep, need more cores for VR now.

I bet Ryzen is actually good for this if this somehow becomes a more common issue in VR.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

App13 posted:

As mentioned definitely OC, the 4670k can hit ~4.2ghz at least.
Also, VR games, especially Onward, use up a lot of CPU from the additional VR related things. I've found that if you increase the process priority of Onward that helps a lot. Also make sure you disable ASW if you have Rift.
There are a few other things mentioned on the Onward Wiki, check it out here: https://wiki.onwardhq.com/index.php/Misc#Misc_Game_Tips_and_Tricks

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I totally agree. I have the same perspective when it comes to Fallout New Vegas (I still need to play Skyrim, and I plan to play it in vr).

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Dongattack posted:

Skyrim has always been a project that's fun to work on, so i don't mind that! What happens if you lean irl? Like, can you lean forward to look over a edge or lean to the sides to look around a corner and that translates into something in the game?

Yes! You can absolutely lean. Skyrim has positional tracking when setup with DirectVR with is a VorpX feature. New Vegas has that as well and I found it great for peeking around corners and stuff! You can even play standing.

Although I play seated now, I am thinking of trying it standing. I will bind controls to my motion controllers (like movement controls, shooting, etc) and whatever I don't have room to bind I could use voice attack.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Since they are working on Fallout VR, and hopefully doing more than just their own Shoehorn version of VorpX, I could bet :10bux: that the next Elders Scroll game is 100% built with VR in mind.

It would be downright stupid for them not to.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

App13 posted:

Onward just up and decides to be super laggy sometimes and there's nothing you can do about it, short of switching to a game that has half-decent optimization (i.e. pretty much anything else). Sometimes people go on about "oh, but VR is hugely CPU-intensive for reasons" but no, Onward's just like that.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Is there any hint of HTC annoucing a vive 2.0? Looking at getting one but don't want to invest if a new one is just around the corner!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TescoBag posted:

Is there any hint of HTC annoucing a vive 2.0? Looking at getting one but don't want to invest if a new one is just around the corner!

I really don't think another one is right around the corner. The closest we've gotten from HTC is that they are looking to incorporate the upgraded audio strap and wireless into the Commercial (much more expensive) version. I think you'd be good with a Vive in that there won't be a Vive 2 for at least 2 years.

However, there are hints that we might have alternative Steam VR headsets shortly. LG has already demoed a headset although it wasn't final and hasn't announced any dates.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
HTC is still iterating on the current Vive. Unless they announce something at E3 or something, don't expect a new version any time soon.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I don't think HTC or Oculus will release a true v2 headset until Christmas-ish time 2018. LG has a new headset coming out at some undetermined period of time, but that is barely a Vive 1.5. It will need to get a pretty thorough comparison to the Vive to see if it pulls off noticable improvements. There are still a lot of things related to the tier1 quality VR experience that only the Vive and Rift pull off that are crucial to delivering a competitive VR experience.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Steam VR sale:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/28652/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
154 titles on sale, that's quite the number! I've never heard of most of them; I guess VR has shovelware now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Woah Woah Woah!!

I have been a fan of the Train Sim games for a while, but the ones that exist are sort of DLC nightmares and the control scheme is pretty crap. Though I have been saying it has needed to be made into VR for ages so you could actually drive the trains.

Welp, guess I gotta load up this Demo tonight

For being a 3 person team, it looks better than pretty much all the current Train Sims to date.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Woah Woah Woah!!

I have been a fan of the Train Sim games for a while, but the ones that exist are sort of DLC nightmares and the control scheme is pretty crap. Though I have been saying it has needed to be made into VR for ages so you could actually drive the trains.

Welp, guess I gotta load up this Demo tonight

For being a 3 person team, it looks better than pretty much all the current Train Sims to date.
Yeah I played the demo for this a couple weeks ago and its kind of amazing, marred only by a heavy reliance on looking down at grainy documents being kind of the primary gameplay interaction. If they make the documents more defined and easier to handle it'll be pretty much perfect, cause the act of driving the train and navigating the world is already great.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

154 titles on sale, that's quite the number! I've never heard of most of them; I guess VR has shovelware now.

Steam lets you bypass greenlight if you are VR so it's actually like 95% shovelware.

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

Oh hey! Soundboxing wasn't on sale this morning when I checked, but it has a 30% discount now.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Also Raw Data and Tilt brush are free on steam until Sunday.
Raw Data Free to play till Sunday http://store.steampowered.com/app/436320
Tilt Brush Free to play till Sunday http://store.steampowered.com/app/327140/ (with 50% sale, $14.99)

Viveport has a Free Arcade Saga Game and you can sign up for 1 month trial of subscription where you can pick 5 games per month.

http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-anniversary-discount-sale-free-arcade-saga-viveport-subscription-launch/

Unfortunately the selection of the Viveport Subscription does not look very good.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Derail Valley is pretty sweet but very much a demo. If that game can get some real content and missions that would be a really chill train game. Really all they need to do is add RoomScale to the current Tranz Games, but knowing them, they will have to charge $40 for the DLC of it first anyway even though the trains all have 3D modeled interiors already and everything is already clickable.

Also "A Legend of Luca" is cheap and an ok Rogue like VR RPG. Sort of along the lines of Binding of Isac with the way the levels go, but the graphics are good and I hope as you go deeper in the levels the weapons get more creative as well. Still, a neat VR RPG.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I really like the wealth of features that Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has to offer but man reloading mags is a pain, I can't find a reliable way to get that magazine into a pistol quickly. It just sort of fails to line up in VR and sticks. I like everything else about it though :(

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Derail Valley is pretty sweet but very much a demo. If that game can get some real content and missions that would be a really chill train game. Really all they need to do is add RoomScale to the current Tranz Games, but knowing them, they will have to charge $40 for the DLC of it first anyway even though the trains all have 3D modeled interiors already and everything is already clickable.

Also "A Legend of Luca" is cheap and an ok Rogue like VR RPG. Sort of along the lines of Binding of Isac with the way the levels go, but the graphics are good and I hope as you go deeper in the levels the weapons get more creative as well. Still, a neat VR RPG.

gently caress that, current train sims have really lovely interactive elements, most of them are crammed into some standard control scheme and everything else is unclickable. What's the point of a sim where half the features don't work and every train is the same?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Revitalized posted:

I really like the wealth of features that Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has to offer but man reloading mags is a pain, I can't find a reliable way to get that magazine into a pistol quickly. It just sort of fails to line up in VR and sticks. I like everything else about it though :(

In the options you can turn on Simple Reloading or something like that which is the same as regular reloading except it just clips the mag through the gun rather than having to worry about lining it up. It's a good compromise because you're still doing the same motions, it's just less fiddly.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Really, I don't get how you can argue for halved gravity and at the same time have 'realistically' unrealistic loading windows. Like seriously, IRL a magazine is guided in very easily, there is no reason for the awkward reloads in H3VR.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
iirc from his devblogs, the halved/wonky gravity in H3VR isn't an argument or feature for simplicity, it's a requirement to even have the game physics working without melting the computer.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Zsinjeh posted:

iirc from his devblogs, the halved/wonky gravity in H3VR isn't an argument or feature for simplicity, it's a requirement to even have the game physics working without melting the computer.

You can actually change it now.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

SEKCobra posted:

You can actually change it now.
Oh rad! He's come a long way since I checked it out last

By the way, any fitness dorks who could estimate how much of a workout a Soundboxing hour is? A streak of well-made high BPM songs really works up a nice sweat.

Recommend these btw:
NOMA - Brain Power
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/aed28c7a-90a9-11e6-ba25-0a580a200109
Really lean into the punches and moves on this one and at the 4 minute mark when the breakdown hits you'll really start feeling it

Saku - 3R2
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/7221f7c4-0581-11e7-80c1-0a580a200007
Nice high BPM with a good thumping beat for the punches. The guy who makes this one, hyoromo, has a ton of other well made ones with lots of alternating moves. :siren: A lot (99%) of it is weeabo music though if that's a dealbreaker.

Nightcore - Shake It Off
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/337128cf-ab46-11e6-906e-0a580a200278
imo the best version of the nightcore maps. Make sure to shake yo little booty like you just don't care for that extra deep burn :yosbutt:

Would love some more suggestions of good stuff. Personally I'd like to find some more fast EDM tracks as that's always usually a good workout. So many pubbies keep making tracks to boring radio edits with tons of slow lyrics. Where's my german gabber hardcore mix :argh:

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 6, 2017

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

rage-saq posted:

I don't think HTC or Oculus will release a true v2 headset until Christmas-ish time 2018. LG has a new headset coming out at some undetermined period of time, but that is barely a Vive 1.5. It will need to get a pretty thorough comparison to the Vive to see if it pulls off noticable improvements. There are still a lot of things related to the tier1 quality VR experience that only the Vive and Rift pull off that are crucial to delivering a competitive VR experience.

This is kind of a misnomer, currently the LG headset is basically a Vive 1.5 but they were also really clear about that nothing was finished and one of the things they wanted to improve was the screens.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

gently caress that, current train sims have really lovely interactive elements, most of them are crammed into some standard control scheme and everything else is unclickable. What's the point of a sim where half the features don't work and every train is the same?

Well honestly the last one I played was I believe Trainz 2006 and Microsoft Train Sim which were some of the best ones at the time.

Then it seems like Trainz/Railroadz or whatever it devolved into, keeps "upgrading" their game, but making it worse at the same time and I honestly have not touched it even though I got it in a Steam Sell like 6 years ago.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Fredrik1 posted:

This is kind of a misnomer, currently the LG headset is basically a Vive 1.5 but they were also really clear about that nothing was finished and one of the things they wanted to improve was the screens.

Yeah, it's hard to really nail down the LG HMD. If we were getting what they showed it would be basically Vive 1.5, but we'd probably get it in a few months. Given they said it was basically just a proof of concept they put together, it means the final unit could be much better but also much later; I'm not expecting it before this winter if not next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Apparently new vive's coming out now weigh less than the rift.

http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-weight-15-percent-lighter-than-original-headset-vs-oculus-rift-comparison/

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 6, 2017