Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ThinkTank posted:

Get ready for this:

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

Is Vegas auto-picking in the top 3? I remember them having the same odds (I think) for the lottery picks as the 29th place team, but what position are they slotted for without a win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

ThinkTank posted:

If they lose out, they finish 2nd last. The game against Arizona tomorrow is the biggest must lose game in franchise history. Defeat is now our only ally, we need no longer fear the slick recesses of ruination. Reach out and take the ragged hand that is proffered. It promises solace in a world fraught with success.

how i learned to stop worrying and embrace the tank

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

Is Vegas auto-picking in the top 3? I remember them having the same odds (I think) for the lottery picks as the 29th place team, but what position are they slotted for without a win?

It hasn't been confirmed exactly how it'll break down, but when they were announced as a franchise the league said they'd have the same lottery odds as the 3rd worst team.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Gio posted:

i wouldnt be surprised if the wings win the rest of their games and they lose out on a lottery position

Holland gonna trade that first rounder to dump Ericsson and pick up a third rounder so he can make a run at [insert soon-to-be overpaid UFA defenseman]. New streak, baby.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

JawKnee posted:

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

they get the third pick of every round. effectively, this year theres 31 teams in the standing for the draft and vegas is locked at 29th. avs are 31st, yotes and canucks fighting for 30th and 28th

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

JawKnee posted:

No. They're the default 3rd overall pick without the draft lottery, but their position can still change due to the lottery, so they aren't guaranteed a top 3 pick. So they can pick as high as 1 and as low as 6 with the draft lottery. Other rounds they're always the 3rd pick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Those of you whose teams are in the race for Patrick (I assume CS still has him#1): are you actually excited for him? Or is it more of a "Yeah I guess he's pretty good" kind of thing?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Those of you whose teams are in the race for Patrick (I assume CS still has him#1): are you actually excited for him? Or is it more of a "Yeah I guess he's pretty good" kind of thing?

He's a pretty uninspiring top selection, but yes he's the consensus #1. I think people are starting to get a bit overly critical of him. He's not McDavid or Matthews, but he's a very good player about on par with Tkachuk last year or Strome in 2015. I doubt he'll be a certified star at the NHL level or make an instant impact like other first overalls, but he's no worse than the Nuge was at the same age and he's turned into a serviceable player.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They ruined the Nuge

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Patrick is a good prospect and if the Bruins were in the running for him I'd definitely be excited. Scouts think he would have been just outside the top 5 if he was drafted last year. Comparable in talent to Tkachuk, Keller, or a Nylander bro is good. We've had a lot of legit superstar prospects over the past few years so I think people are a bit disappointed that this draft seems weak in comparison.

Personally I think Nico Hischier is the more interesting prospect, though.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Letang is done for the season for the Pens. Daley and Maatta may still return but Letang was by far their most important D man. The team has been depleted since February and players like Schultz and Cole have made more mistakes of late in their elevated roles.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
the toronto maple leafs will lose all of their remaining games this season and the new york islanders will win all of their remaining games this season and get into the playoffs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Carver posted:

In regards to Riley Sheahan, I really don't understand how you can play an entire NHL season as a forward and not score a goal

Tanner Glass has only played a handful of games and even he has a goal

e: the pens are pretty hosed without someone to cheapshot other players in the playoffs now that Letang is injured

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Moxie posted:

Letang is done for the season for the Pens. Daley and Maatta may still return but Letang was by far their most important D man. The team has been depleted since February and players like Schultz and Cole have made more mistakes of late in their elevated roles.

Schultz has made mistakes, but overall, I'd say he's been pretty solid since Letang went down (and before as well). He's done his job, that is, move the puck and provide a bit of offensive support. He's also been a decent PP quarterback, despite Tocchet's inability to coach.

Cole, on the other hand, woof.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Patrick and Hischier are the two prospects that are decent but neither are really conventional 'top 2' talents. Wouldn't be surprised to see both back in junior next year. Apparently after that it's pretty much a jumble of average prospects down to about ~10 and then another drop off. It's a really bad draft year

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

Patrick and Hischier are the two prospects that are decent but neither are really conventional 'top 2' talents. Wouldn't be surprised to see both back in junior next year. Apparently after that it's pretty much a jumble of average prospects down to about ~10 and then another drop off. It's a really bad draft year

If that's true I bet this is one of those years where a 3rd rounder on nobody's radar ends up being one of the most productive players

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I still think it's premature to dismiss the entire draft as being bad.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I still think it's premature to dismiss the entire draft as being bad.

It isn't great, but yeah I thought that a savvy GM would've loaded up on picks this year because the perception is that the talent isn't there. From a CHL players perspective, it's a pretty typical year. Better than last year, it's just that 2016 had Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi at the top coming from Europe and people tend to equate star power with depth of the draft.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

JawKnee posted:

All the canucks need to do to finish in 29th is lose 3 games in regulation

you can do it Canucks!

I believe in... uh... the other teams!

The tank is a powerful tool if you believe hard enough.

a false posted:

the toronto maple leafs will lose all of their remaining games this season and the new york islanders will win all of their remaining games this season and get into the playoffs

Probably. :smith:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Wings are gonna pick like 12th and I'm gonna blow my brains out

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Stretch Marx posted:

The tank is a powerful tool if you believe hard enough.

Probably. :smith:

Don't worry, Toronto will win on Thursday against Tampa to both clinch a playoff spot and crush the Bolts' super slim hopes of making it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kilza posted:

Don't worry, Toronto will win on Thursday against Tampa to both clinch a playoff spot and crush the Bolts' super slim hopes of making it.

Don't jinx it you rear end

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i was reviewing the past few years 5th-10th pick to see what the wings will likely get and well looks pretty bad!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gio posted:

i was reviewing the past few years 5th-10th pick to see what the wings will likely get and well looks pretty bad!

The Flames picked 9th-10th a lot in the 90's and it rarely worked out. My condolences.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Gio posted:

it seems fine to me

2016: Juolevi, Tkachuk, Keller, Nylander, Sergachev, Jost - kind of too soon to make any judgments but Tkachuk is obviously good
2015: Hanifin, Zacha, Provorov, Werenski, Meier, Rantanen - all of these guys are good prospects, most are already impact NHL players
2014: Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury, Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie - some duds here but two of them are already top-6 forwards
2013: E. Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, Ristolainen, Horvat, Nichuskin - all of these guys are good, even Nichuskin who hosed off to Russia
2012: Rielly, H. Lindholm, Dumba, Pouliot, Trouba, Koekkoek - wow a bunch of defensemen. some are a lot better than others but they're all more or less NHL regulars
2011: Strome, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Couturier, Hamilton, Brodin - all of these guys are good
2010: Niederreiter, Connolly, Skinner, Burmistrov, Granlund, McIlrath - McIlrath sucks, Burmistrov is ok I guess, Connolly is a good bottom 6 winger, and the other three forwards are top 6.

edit: i probably shouldn't say the 2014 guys are duds just yet actually, most of these guys are still only 20

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 5, 2017

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Gio posted:

Yeah I'm pretty bummed out about Scheifele and Trouba and Ehlers

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

none of those guys are the next wayne gretzky though

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Gio posted:

thats fair

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm trying to figure out if Letang or Stamkos is an unluckier dude. Probably Letang, but drat.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Letang just doesn't have enough heart for the NHL.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
God Virtanen was such an awful loving pick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh heck yeah, youtube flipped on their tv service just in time for playoffs:

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome

Relevance to hockey is it has NBCSN, CSN, and FS which I think will get US folks almost all hockey games.

If you live in one of the 5 cities that have it turned on that is (New York, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Philadelphia).

$35 a month makes it pretty competitive to the other two options for streaming hockey (sling and vue). It's better than sling because it has dvr features, better than vue because it's cheaper.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

VJeff posted:

I'm trying to figure out if Letang or Stamkos is an unluckier dude. Probably Letang, but drat.

At least Letang has two Stanley Cups? :shrug:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

grack posted:

God Virtanen was such an awful loving pick.

yuuuup

one more lovely year of Benning, one more, just one, juuuust one

I hope he's fired by december

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Gio posted:

Jagr was #5!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

xzzy posted:

Oh heck yeah, youtube flipped on their tv service just in time for playoffs:

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome

Relevance to hockey is it has NBCSN, CSN, and FS which I think will get US folks almost all hockey games.

If you live in one of the 5 cities that have it turned on that is (New York, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Philadelphia).

$35 a month makes it pretty competitive to the other two options for streaming hockey (sling and vue). It's better than sling because it has dvr features, better than vue because it's cheaper.

At least in New England, the $35/month Vue gets me NESN, NBCSN, and all the other NBC channels they like to shove playoff games on to so it lets me watch everything. gently caress cable.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Goddamn that is terrible news. I guess we can't win the cup every year though (and it's not entirely off the table but eh, Letang is the 3rd pillar of our offense and I just don't think Schultz/Daley/Maatta can fill that void when the games get close)
Let's see Crosby get the Richard/Hart at least

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Skjei, Holden, McDonagh all out tonight against the Caps. Kampfer and Clendenning in

Fast, Zuccarello, Nash also sitting out

lol

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Levitate posted:

Skjei, Holden, McDonagh all out tonight against the Caps. Kampfer and Clendenning in

Fast, Zuccarello, Nash also sitting out

lol

Goodness gracious this is going to be a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I was gonna ask the Rangers fans of the thread if they thought their team was gonna phone it in tonight...no need.

• Locked thread