Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's just because it syncs up the position of the two models, although in an ideal world the syncing part wouldn't be obvious to the point of one of the models flat-out teleporting as often as they do. In ME3 players could actually sync kill basic enemies who were on the other side of cover. It was the cheesiest thing and very fun to abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
It's called that because it sinks your desire to play MP.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

More like async kills

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Relentless posted:

The only thing I've found that comes close is Vermintide. It's built off of a L4D skeleton, so more "moving through the level completing set onjectives" instead of waiting for things to come to you in waves. And it has its own pile of balance and technical issues, but it is pretty fun.
Yeah I love Vermintide, just taking a break from it right now in case of burnout.

I assume people are already discussing the planned changes in the other thread? Hope we get some real MP stuff and not just a few decimal points while they focus on fixing the single-player stuff that has gotten the most media attention.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Pierson posted:

Yeah I love Vermintide, just taking a break from it right now in case of burnout.

I assume people are already discussing the planned changes in the other thread? Hope we get some real MP stuff and not just a few decimal points while they focus on fixing the single-player stuff that has gotten the most media attention.

http://blog.bioware.com/2017/04/04/mass-effect-andromeda-patch-1-05-notes/

There's no real details yet aside from some bugfixes. I'll be vaguely surprised if they actually put up complete patch notes before they patch.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah that's the link I saw too which kind of stretches the term 'patch notes' rather than 'vague plans'.

At least the massive problems mean they can't help but acknowledge them to try and save face.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Maxed out all the silvers, here's the breakdown of the silver X weapon mods:

SR Reciever
70% Penetration Damage
1.75m Penetration Distance

SR Spare Clips
+74% Spare Ammo

Pistol Reciever
58% Pen Dmg
1.5m Pen Dist

Pistol Magazine
+71% Mag Size

AR Reciever
58% Pen Dmg
1.5m Pen Dist

AR Magazine
+50% Mag Size

Shotgun Reciever
58% Pen Dmg
.88m Pen Dist

Shotgun Spare Clips
+74% Spare Ammo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's kind of insane to me that they got rid of Ultra-Light Materials for everything except Sniper Rifles.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

limited posted:

Nope! Doesn't even list out all the MK I stats either. They just copy-pasted the basic stats that never change, and then just put a single red bar with no numeric value for anything that changes like power and weight. Basically a tiny bar for sidearms, and a big one for sniper rifles.

Of course they didn't. I'm working on a TTK spreadsheet (because I'm a giant nerd), but I haven't found a solid repository of weapon data yet.

It's halfway moot anyway because the RoF numbers mean absolutely nothing on semiauto/burst fire weapons (RoF doesn't reflect the forced stops, the Hornet shows that really clearly). It also means nothing on the Widow unless you're turbocharging the ammo count. And something seems off about the battery powered ones in regard to RoF as well, but I only have one to play with so far and I went to bed before figuring it out last night.

I think the battery depletion rate might not be tied to damage ticks. Like the battery depletes 4% twice a second but it deals damage every .2 seconds. So the damage per battery only sometimes lines up exactly. I was definitely killing bronze raiders in less total% of battery holding it than burst firing it. So a single click takes .5 seconds of battery life to deal .2 or .4 seconds of damage.

I need to test headshot and scoped rifle shots modifiers as well. The raw math says a full avenger x clip should be doing more damage than a single non crit scoped widow shot. And a full charger x clip should do about the same or a little more a scoped widow crit shot with a 2x or 2.5x modifier. But the reality doesn't seem to line up with that.

All that aside, Charger still has better TTKs than everything outside of the falcon, revenant and basically all of the sniper rifles, and one of the better Total Damage Before Running Out Of Ammo numbers, and weighs half of anything else worth carrying. So expect to see it get nerfed into oblivion on Tuesday!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If I want to just unlock the Krogan Engineer as quickly as possible, is my best bet still just to buy the cheapest packs, or should I get a slightly more expensive one until I unlock it? I'm not really sure how the odds shake out for unlocking new classes with each tier of pack.

Getting that class is my immediate goal, because I'm a simpleton and incinerate > overload over and over is about as much complexity as I can handle in a class while still being useful to the team (I don't like cryo blast so the human engi isn't as good for me). And krogans look cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Engineer is an Uncommon so you'll rarely get it from Basic packs, buy lots of Advanced Packs.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ainsley McTree posted:

If I want to just unlock the Krogan Engineer as quickly as possible, is my best bet still just to buy the cheapest packs, or should I get a slightly more expensive one until I unlock it? I'm not really sure how the odds shake out for unlocking new classes with each tier of pack.

Getting that class is my immediate goal, because I'm a simpleton and incinerate > overload over and over is about as much complexity as I can handle in a class while still being useful to the team (I don't like cryo blast so the human engi isn't as good for me). And krogans look cool.

Combos are lovely right now (who knows how it will be after patch), and krogans are only really good at melee, so Krogan Engineer is basically terrible.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh, well that sucks. What's the best class for idiots with bad gear then?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ainsley McTree posted:

I barely shoot my gun as a human vanguard, as is right and proper.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ainsley McTree posted:

Punching vanguards are probably the best classes for everyone at the moment. Asari adept is pretty good, any of the classes with cloaking or Turbocharge are good once you get a Vanquisher or Black Widow

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Add me to the PC list and everyone just add me because I'm lazy. TIA :liara:

Origin name is Riyott

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
How are you guys speccing human soldier? I am having fun with it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah due to absurdly weak combos and the enormous health gains enemies get on gold, combined with not being able to get 3-second cooldowns like ME3, tech powers fall off super hard. I actually think the engineer is the best class when you are just starting the game and using commons on bronze, but by the time you hit gold, a charged overload specced entirely for raw damage to shields will not even take out the shields on a sharpshooter or an observer. And then it's on a huge cooldown so you're back to being Man with Gun who has no survivability. The krogan engineer has more survivability but I do not think cryo beam for incinerate is a good trade.

It makes sense that the gun balance has gotten the most complaints, but I think powers are a close second for issues bioware needs to look at.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Digirat posted:

Yeah due to absurdly weak combos and the enormous health gains enemies get on gold, combined with not being able to get 3-second cooldowns like ME3, tech powers fall off super hard. I actually think the engineer is the best class when you are just starting the game and using commons on bronze, but by the time you hit gold, a charged overload specced entirely for raw damage to shields will not even take out the shields on a sharpshooter or an observer. And then it's on a huge cooldown so you're back to being Man with Gun who has no survivability. The krogan engineer has more survivability but I do not think cryo beam for incinerate is a good trade.

It makes sense that the gun balance has gotten the most complaints, but I think powers are a close second for issues bioware needs to look at.

That's a shame, I liked tech a lot in ME3. I'm glad Vanguards are at least still good. And infiltrator looks like it'll be fun if I get my hands on a good gun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Piell posted:

Combos are lovely right now (who knows how it will be after patch), and krogans are only really good at melee, so Krogan Engineer is basically terrible.

This is wrong. Krogan Engineer is a beefy combo machine. And there's nothing stopping you from doing melee on KroEng because you can ignore Assault Turret. And like I said earlier, Incinerate and Overload are both great for getting dudes to stop and dance while you line up a headshot :sicknasty:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I specced my Asari Adept for max melee and it seems to be working on Silver so far, yay.

Only two crashes-to-desktop today so far!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

Add me to the PC list and everyone just add me because I'm lazy. TIA :liara:

Origin name is Riyott

Get in Discord, scrub.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

overdesigned posted:

I specced my Asari Adept for max melee and it seems to be working on Silver so far, yay.

Only two crashes-to-desktop today so far!

Weirdly enough, I've found that speccing annihilation 6 for CC instead of shield regen is better for Kett and Revenant.

It's kind of a wash for outlaw, as their big threat are bersekers/i guess agents/occasionally a sabatour, and it doesn't do poo poo against armor.

But it ruins wraiths and breachers as well as giving you breathing room after taking the shield off observers or any of the kett stealthers/miniguns and lets you punch them to death.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Relentless posted:

All that aside, Charger still has better TTKs than everything outside of the falcon, revenant and basically all of the sniper rifles, and one of the better Total Damage Before Running Out Of Ammo numbers, and weighs half of anything else worth carrying. So expect to see it get nerfed into oblivion on Tuesday!
Definitely, the Charger is hilariously useful. The RoF means special ammo can easily prime someone for explosions, and it outclasses basically all of the assault rifles that aren't gimmicks. Even the accuracy isn't that terrible if you burst it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you can get your hands on the Juggernaut Shield gear ( +75% melee damage, +10% shields ) you can pick up a vanguard, slap a melee mod on a pistol, and literally punch two out of the three factions to death on bronze with basic melee within a few levels.

Only Remenant Observers and Krogran Berserkers are a problem besides the super units, and most of them you can still punch into oblivion if they're focused on someone else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder how long before the Juggernaut Shield comes back? Because goddamn I feel real sorry for anyone who didn't get it, it's so good.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Relentless posted:

Of course they didn't. I'm working on a TTK spreadsheet (because I'm a giant nerd), but I haven't found a solid repository of weapon data yet.

It's halfway moot anyway because the RoF numbers mean absolutely nothing on semiauto/burst fire weapons (RoF doesn't reflect the forced stops, the Hornet shows that really clearly). It also means nothing on the Widow unless you're turbocharging the ammo count. And something seems off about the battery powered ones in regard to RoF as well, but I only have one to play with so far and I went to bed before figuring it out last night.

I think the battery depletion rate might not be tied to damage ticks. Like the battery depletes 4% twice a second but it deals damage every .2 seconds. So the damage per battery only sometimes lines up exactly. I was definitely killing bronze raiders in less total% of battery holding it than burst firing it. So a single click takes .5 seconds of battery life to deal .2 or .4 seconds of damage.

I need to test headshot and scoped rifle shots modifiers as well. The raw math says a full avenger x clip should be doing more damage than a single non crit scoped widow shot. And a full charger x clip should do about the same or a little more a scoped widow crit shot with a 2x or 2.5x modifier. But the reality doesn't seem to line up with that.

How does the Equalizer compare to the Charger? I've got an Equalizer IV and it feels better than my Charger X, would like to know if this is actually true.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

More like async kills

This.

Had a fiend sync kill me a couple days ago on the derelict map. I'm at the top of the ramp (far end, away from spawn), he's walking along the outer walkway. I see him coming, dash back away from the wall, planning to head towards the other side of the map, and I get yanked back to where I was standing prior to the dash. At least 5 seconds passes with me frantically dodging and getting ripped back to start while the fiend casually saunters around the corner, up the ramp, grabs me, and stomps a mudpuddle in my rear end.

I could only laugh. It was too ridiculous to be angry about.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

limited posted:

Only Remenant Observers and Krogran Berserkers are a problem besides the super units, and most of them you can still punch into oblivion if they're focused on someone else.
Berserkers are a pain for everyone, vanguard is one of the easier classes to handle them with imo.

Mostly because they handle them the same way as they handle everything else, it just takes slightly longer (charging followed by punching followed by charging (or optionally nova-ing) followed by some more punching...). I've never met a nail yet that doesn't succumb to the vanguard's hammer eventually.

edit: except for observers obviously, those flying jerks.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 5, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

How are you guys speccing human soldier? I am having fun with it.

I was gonna ask this again. I've played a couple games as human soldier and I was using assault rifles because I don't have any of the cool kid snipers and I suck at sniping in this game anyway.

It seems really squishy. It's super annoying to go from anything with Barrier to non-Barrier classes because you just did constantly, but I'm also used to charge. Also there seems like a lot of good power evolutions and poo poo and I'm not sure what power I'm supposed to use as the dump stat.

I really want the Revenant though, Cyclone gimmick build is super fun, but I bet with a real gun it would do work.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What's the right way to spec/play vanguard in this game (I have Krogan unlocked so I'll use that if it makes a difference)?

I'm guessing that the glory days of ME3 where the cooldown on charge was finished by the time you completed the animation for nova are gone; is charge > punch > charge the new always be charging?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Piell posted:

How does the Equalizer compare to the Charger? I've got an Equalizer IV and it feels better than my Charger X, would like to know if this is actually true.

Equalizer I is about 10% better dps until you have to reload, but 20% less damage per clip. You also miss less and hit more headshots. It takes a huuuge hit at gold because you're looking at reloading at least once to kill a gold raider unless you're getting over 50% headshot time with it.

If you never let it hit 0 and are weaving in abilities it should pull way ahead. It's a great example of a sidegrade.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I charge the enemy and then I punch them until my shields are low and then I charge them again. Nova really only gets used for the iframes when I need to buy a second or so while I wait on my charge cooldown.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

tooterfish posted:

Berserkers are a pain for everyone, vanguard is one of the easier classes to handle them with imo.

Mostly because they handle them the same way as they handle everything else, it just takes slightly longer (charging followed by punching followed by charging (or optionally nova-ing) followed by some more punching...). I've never met a nail yet that doesn't succumb to the vanguard's hammer eventually.

edit: except for observers obviously, those flying jerks.

Also the fiends/ascendents. E.g. punch range puts you in sync range. But yeah, they clown on the outlaws.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If the group in Gold looks sketchy AND they have it set to Random that's my cue to bug out

I'm so much happier when I quick match a group doing something like Geth White Gold

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

I was gonna ask this again. I've played a couple games as human soldier and I was using assault rifles because I don't have any of the cool kid snipers and I suck at sniping in this game anyway.

It seems really squishy. It's super annoying to go from anything with Barrier to non-Barrier classes because you just did constantly, but I'm also used to charge. Also there seems like a lot of good power evolutions and poo poo and I'm not sure what power I'm supposed to use as the dump stat.

I really want the Revenant though, Cyclone gimmick build is super fun, but I bet with a real gun it would do work.

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA Build for DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA Soldier
Turbocharge 6 - 4a 5a 6b
Conc Shot 6 - 4a 5b 6a
Grenades 1
Munitions 6 - 4a 5b 6a/b (Pick what you want for 6th power, gold runs usually benefit with debuff)
Fitness 6 - 4a 5a/b 6a (Running doesn't count as evasion, the dash does, but the cover benefit is pretty meh as well)

Wat you do is git da Turbocharge up first, den you git Munitions, den Fitness, den Conc Shot.

SHOOTAS
Charger - Is da bestest.
Eagle - Is ol'roight.
Revenant - Need allota teef 'n boxes ta get it gud. But den is roight proppa dakka.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

It appears, I can't play multiplayer in this game has anything than assari addept. I tried other classes (since my aa is already level 20) but can't get into other stuff. Speed is so much fun, also the anhilation field is superhelpfull to avoid enemies.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Digirat posted:

Yeah, it is pretty telling that the apex mission effects that add silly numbers like +50% damage don't feel overpowered at all, they just make a lot of weapons suddenly start to feel reasonable.

But I'm pretty sure you could flat out double the damage of most assault rifles and they still wouldn't be overpowered in any way. In fact, for many of them, that might not even be enough.
I played an Apex mission that had something stupid like +100% combo damage and barely noticed. +100% Assault Rifle damage might make my Turbocharge build fun and useful - there was a guy in said Apex mission who was incredulous I'd been slugging it out on Gold with an Avenger 2.

God I miss the Typhoon.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 6, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Khizan posted:

I charge the enemy and then I punch them until my shields are low and then I charge them again. Nova really only gets used for the iframes when I need to buy a second or so while I wait on my charge cooldown.
Rocket jump + nova into the middle of a pack will never not be fun.

I sometimes start out a fight like that if charge is cooling down, or if my shields are full and I think it'll be better to save charge for after.

It's a shame combo damage is so poo poo, because with seismic nova it's a good way to make dubstep too.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 6, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You guys vanguard is so fun why do people play anything else

Should I pick bastion or the recharge bonus for my tier 6 upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

You guys vanguard is so fun why do people play anything else

Should I pick bastion or the recharge bonus for my tier 6 upgrade?
Recharge bonus all the way. If you're constantly charging you keep your shields up that way.

Krogan Vanguard with the Juggernaut Shield is amazing. My forehead hits harder than an Isharay.

• Locked thread