Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Felony murder is a thing, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

xzzy posted:

Because it was in the news recently, I know Oklahoma has a law where accomplices can be tried for murder if someone died while conducting a felony even if they were nowhere near the violence (like say a getaway driver).

No idea whether it's a common thing in the US though.

It's a common thing. In my state, driver could pick up a second degree murder charge.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

xzzy posted:

Because it was in the news recently, I know Oklahoma has a law where accomplices can be tried for murder if someone died while conducting a felony even if they were nowhere near the violence (like say a getaway driver).

No idea whether it's a common thing in the US though.

This is what's called felony murder, and it is common, if not ubiquitous, in the US. Although IANAL, I did pass my crim law exam last semester. I think the Mercedes driver would likely be charged with felony murder for his involvement in the attempted hijacking/theft/Fast and the Furious role-playing incident, assuming a) the silver hood-surfer bought it, and b) this did occur in the US. If this footage is from Russia, my guess is the response would be along the lines of "Da, was bad idea, comrade"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Arguing about felony murder was one of the reasons I joined these forums and what also got me interested enough to attend law school. I've made a lot of bad decisions in my life. :corsair:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

beep-beep car is go posted:

Since he had a camera, and saw it happening and brake-checked him, isn't that a murder charge? i.e. he "did it on purpose."
Oh, there's no SD card in that camera, I just use it for backing up to loading docks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

well even if you had, clearing the cylinders is usually just a matter of turning the engine over a number of times with the plugs out.

Yeah this was all I did. Turned it over, and let it sit for a while so the majority that didn't get blown out just ran past the rings. Smoked pretty good on startup for a minute, but ran a hell of a lot better.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Throatwarbler posted:

Arguing about felony murder was one of the reasons I joined these forums and what also got me interested enough to attend law school. I've made a lot of bad decisions in my life. :corsair:

Nobody's arguing dumbass, somebody asked a question.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Q_res posted:

Well that got hostile quick.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nm posted:

Well that got hostile quick.

No it didn't, gently caress you!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Q_res posted:

Good thing I didn't accuse anyone of arguing about it presently and was just relating an amusing anecdote from like a decade ago?

Real charmer, this guy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boys, boys. It's a Monday and we're all hung over from a weekend of trying to impress women and failing to attract any of them. It makes us grumpy and you gotta spin up your posting game slowly.

By Wednesday we'll all look back on this and laugh about it, wishing that something awful allowed you to purge old shameful posts.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

xzzy posted:

Boys, boys. It's a Monday and we're all hung over from a weekend of trying to impress women and failing to attract any of them. It makes us grumpy and you gotta spin up your posting game slowly.

By Wednesday we'll all look back on this and laugh about it, wishing that something awful allowed you to purge old shameful posts.

This is probably the truth of it. And in my defense, I haven't slept in over 24 hours, so I may have come across more dickishly than I intended...

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Cops in russia don't really give a single gently caress unless it directly affects them. If you go to the police saying some one beat you up. They would say so what are u talking to us for, we didn't beat you up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's true unless you can then say "someone beat me up also my father/uncle/cousin works for the State Department/Ministry of the Interior/whatever", in which case they will help you. You might be able to make their lives difficult, so they'll be helping themselves at the same time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

This is probably the truth of it. And in my defense, I haven't slept in over 24 hours, so I may have come across more dickishly than I intended...

Where were you driving?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

reddit is profitable for car stuff today.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

xzzy posted:

I thought this was "Quite bad, if the driver misses the brake pedal." then I noticed that it wasn't an automatic. :psyduck:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Falken posted:

I thought this was "Quite bad, if the driver misses the brake pedal." then I noticed that it wasn't an automatic. :psyduck:

I think that's the parking brake, but I could be wrong

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It's definitely an automatic with a foot parking brake.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I put it in park, why would I need a parking brake too? :downs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The pedals scream GM to me but that's just a hunch, I ain't no authority on 1980's american automotive interiors. I'm guessing it has a bench seat too, based on the seat belt in view.

But GM did love those pedal parking brake configurations for a while.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I'd hate to try to set the brake on a wet day, foot slip right thru my 9 dollar woofer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Collateral Damage posted:

I put it in park, why would I need a parking brake too? :downs:

Dont dox my parents

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

xzzy posted:

I'm the tweeter, the driver which produces the most directional frequencies, located in the footwell, aimed at the shins.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

xzzy posted:

The pedals scream GM to me but that's just a hunch, I ain't no authority on 1980's american automotive interiors. I'm guessing it has a bench seat too, based on the seat belt in view.

The seat belt buckle is very GM

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xzzy posted:

Looks more early to mid 70s GM to me. By the late 70s they had retractable 3 point belts up front.

That belt looks to be coming from the left side of the car, if that were the center lap belt that would be one hell of a long belt.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i'm the mark on the speaker enclosure behind the brake pedal that is from the brake pedal hitting it.

the brake pedal cannot be fully depressed :stonk:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
New from Kicker audio.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

i'm the mark on the speaker enclosure behind the brake pedal that is from the brake pedal hitting it.

the brake pedal cannot be fully depressed :stonk:

Well, the car is probably fully depressed at this point.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Trial by Stone!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Was this someones attempt at getting a stuck lug nut off?! holy gently caress

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can see the evolution of the problem solving too.

"okay we'll try to chisel the lug off"

"honey where's the hacksaw? I'm just going to cut the rim off"

"gently caress YOU CAR, where's my sledgehammer?!"

"JESUS gently caress IT'S STILL ON, GET THE CUTTING TORCH"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I like the neat sharpie mark, though. I feel like it's the only bit of planning that went into that mess.

Fake edit: poo poo I think it's actually just another pair of cuts. LOL never mind about the planning.
I've had to get security lug nuts off without the key before and it didn't look anything like that. I focused on cutting/splitting the nut, not the wheel.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
all of that and it's still not on jackstands :v:

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Ugh, I would've given this man a Harbor Freight socket just to save myself the trouble of having to see that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wolverine had a flat tire?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Reminded me of this.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Ugh, I would've given this man a Harbor Freight socket just to save myself the trouble of having to see that.

Well it's a dodge so I'm assuming it was even dumber. The lugnut rusted and got swollen and he couldn't fit his socket over it. Chisling the crome off the nut didn't occur to this person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How do you even get in the mindset that CUTTING THE loving WHEEL OFF is a good idea?