Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Trastion posted:

Goodwill has been taking anything remotely worth buying and instead of selling it for cheap in their stores they sell it on their own ebay type site. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/

Most of the non-clothing stuff in the stores now are because their people deem it not really of value.

:wtc: This pisses me off. One of the big reasons I give things to Goodwill is to hopefully give someone else that feeling of finding something cool for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

SpartanIV posted:

:wtc: This pisses me off. One of the big reasons I give things to Goodwill is to hopefully give someone else that feeling of finding something cool for cheap.

well people vultured goodwill to resell on ebay, so you should be mad at them not goodwill

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

ArmZ posted:

well people vultured goodwill to resell on ebay, so you should be mad at them not goodwill

GARY VAYNERCHUCK YALL

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Bought a pair of Red Wings last week:

Question is: insoles or no insoles? The guy at the store suggested I break them in first and then buy Red Wing-branded insoles for them. Which is surprising, 'case you'd think that he'd want to sell more poo poo on the spot.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Break them in with what what you're going to wear.

If you add insoles later, you'll be rubbing in new spots.

Breaking them in will be hell. So do it once.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Breaking in has been fine actually. I walked for about four hours in them on the first day, it was certainly not comfortable and I wasn't walking particular fast, but it wasn't worse then breaking in a pair of full-grain leather hiking boots, for example. The way people talk about it made me think it was gonna completely chew up my feet or something.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Trastion posted:

Goodwill has been taking anything remotely worth buying and instead of selling it for cheap in their stores they sell it on their own ebay type site. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/

Most of the non-clothing stuff in the stores now are because their people deem it not really of value.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Listings/Hot50Filter.asp

I can imagine someone just throwing out branded poo poo like chanel because they didn't know what it was or didn't look close enough but jesus christ who donates literal diamond rings?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpartanIV posted:

Yeah, anything I have that I can't sell (or don't think is going to be valuable enough to bother selling) goes to Goodwill. This year my house has sent probably hundreds of pounds of old clothes in garbage bag after garbage bag, in part totally redoing my wardrobe. I've also given them shoes and boots I don't want or have worn too much to be viable without repair (like some Chuck Taylors where the sides started caving in from sole separation, which can be fixed with some shoe glue and TLC but I couldn't be arsed).

I've always held some hope that my stuff would go to someone who actually needed a $5 shirt. Or at least a high school drama club.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

While I like and use Goodwill quite a bit, clothing should be given to local charities as much as possible.
Then there's a much higher chance it will be fed directly back into the community.

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.

Shanghaied posted:

Bought a pair of Red Wings last week:

Question is: insoles or no insoles? The guy at the store suggested I break them in first and then buy Red Wing-branded insoles for them. Which is surprising, 'case you'd think that he'd want to sell more poo poo on the spot.

No insoles, wear thick (boot) socks, lace them tightly and all the way up. I've had mine maybe 3 months, they're definitely my favorite pair of shoes.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Inzombiac posted:

While I like and use Goodwill quite a bit, clothing should be given to local charities as much as possible.
Then there's a much higher chance it will be fed directly back into the community.

Literally.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ArmZ posted:

Goodwill (and any thrift, really) shouldn't care why people are buying stuff. Like, occasionally I'll see something kinda interesting but the price is something ridiculous and they'll be like "well that's what I've seen it go for on eBay". gently caress, go sell it on eBay then if you think you can get that. Else just sell it for something more reasonable and don't worry yourself about what the buyer might do with it afterward.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

Goodwill (and any thrift, really) shouldn't care why people are buying stuff. Like, occasionally I'll see something kinda interesting but the price is something ridiculous and they'll be like "well that's what I've seen it go for on eBay". gently caress, go sell it on eBay then if you think you can get that. Else just sell it for something more reasonable and don't worry yourself about what the buyer might do with it afterward.

wrong

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Don't give anything to Goodwill. They're just another for-profit business with multi-millionaire executives and underpaid workers.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Goodwill's primary responsibility is to maximize revenue from donations to support its charitable work, not support the fantasies of ~dreamers~

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Don't give anything to Goodwill. They're just another for-profit business with multi-millionaire executives and underpaid workers.

Or we could see how people who actually know about these things rate Goodwill.

Content. This gets my tablet off my newer, smaller, desk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X8C39J6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
oh a tablet clamp sounds like a neat way to turn my largely unused tablet into a cool little bonus screen on my desk while I work....or a netflix machine while I game on my PS4. I can't get my dumb audio from the PC to play when the PS4 is taking over the hdmi signal due to CABLE PHYSICS >:/

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Scored this late 70's Seiko

I love how heavy and well made it feels, versus the thin and light cheap casio and timex LCD watches I have.

Here's an item I got thats essential to life:

It has a motion detector. The different colors are good to adjust to the mood you're in while taking the dump.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
What does the little robot fella on the side do? Post-game analysis?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Snorkzilla posted:

What does the little robot fella on the side do? Post-game analysis?

It's a little air extractor that pumps bad fragrances out of the bowl and disperse them around

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008

beefnoodle posted:

Goodwill's primary responsibility is to maximize revenue from donations to support its charitable work, not support the fantasies of ~dreamers~

Or we could see how people who actually know about these things rate Goodwill.

Content. This gets my tablet off my newer, smaller, desk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X8C39J6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Goodwill pays a grant to support 2 people at our nonprofit whose only job is to help homeless veterans get into housing. You can google ssvf okc if you have any interest.

To stay on topic, I bought a zinus memory foam mattress and bed frame. And a Phillips sonic care electric tooth brush. Should be here on Wednesday!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I got many things while I have been in China. I leave to head back to Chicago (for a few days) tomorrow, but I don't have a photo of my plane ticket. There are a few intangibles on my favorite purchases from the last 6 weeks or so. Two days after getting back to Chicago, though, I'm going on a vacation with my family on a cruise so I obviously bought a drinks package because I'm not doing a loving thing that can't be done from a lounge chair for 5 days besides order another drink. Gotta treat myself.

I haggled in Chinese for the first time in my life and I ended up getting a Redragon K350 motherboard and some white keycaps that did not pass QC (the F* keys have their glyphs right-shifted by one, but that's not really problematic). For a first-time mechanical keyboard purchase, I am quite happy with the ergonomic upgrade, and managed to get it all for less than the base price of the keyboard on its own:

Got a pair of stands for my office desk back home (more ergonomics!). Gonna put my laptop on one and my monitor on the other:

A USB 3.0 hub so I can plug my mouse, keyboard, and DAC into a thing that just needs one plug for my computron in my office as well:

A 2-pack of screen protectors for my Neon Switch (with BotW and Pro Controller), which also awaits me at my apartment:

These pens at the recommendation of this thread. Gonna be nice to introduce some color into my Moleskine:

TWO power banks for my phone and Switch so I can keep my goon rear end stuck to a lounge chair for as long as humanly possible:

Gonna have a mini-Christmas for me back at my apartment, I am quite excited. Bought a website where I'm going to do some writeups on tech projects that my brother and I do, which will be lots of fun when the 3D printer can be paid for sometime next month.

E: I also got glasses so I can see my computer screen from more than a few inches away while I tell you guys about the meaningless purchases I make to fill the void in my heart.

Whew, almost forgot about my new HD eyes.

NewFatMike has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Apr 4, 2017

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

I just got my 2nd one of these. Left the first one in a rental car last year.

Absolutely amazing if it's the 22000mAh one. Can recharge my S6 Edge from empty to full 5-6 times before needing to recharge itself and isn't overly weighty or large.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I got the 10,000mAh and the 20,100mAh versions. I didn't realize there were USB-PD rated ones, but based on a few checks online I should be good to go for the most part.

Living in China has taught me the incredible value of these devices. And also I do this thing where if my phone dies at a bar my brain goes "Hey, you know how time is meaningless? Let's keep believing that, but now completely" and then I'm drinking until well after the sun comes up.

It's only happened a few times, but the punishment is sufficiently severe that I'm helping future me and dramatically extending my Switch playtime.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Half price? Okay:

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Butch Cassidy posted:

Half price? Okay:

Break them in without an inner sole and wearing the same socks you'll normally wear with them. It will be hell for 3 months or so, you'll get blisters the size of Kansas and.... oh wait, they aren't Red Wings.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I made a thread for all y'all to discuss Goodwill and thrifting in general

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008

dpack_1 posted:

Break them in without an inner sole and wearing the same socks you'll normally wear with them. It will be hell for 3 months or so, you'll get blisters the size of Kansas and.... oh wait, they aren't Red Wings.

..but advice still applies

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why don't you just buy comfortable shoes? I've never had to break in any shoes before.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Why don't you just buy comfortable shoes? I've never had to break in any shoes before.

Because otherwise you couldn't get the satisfaction of telling people that you bought $500 fashion boots.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You need leather that will last a lifetime when you work a rough and rugged American job such as software developer who primarily works from home

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

chitoryu12 posted:

Because otherwise you couldn't get the satisfaction of telling people that you bought $500 fashion boots.

LOL if you paid that much for Red Wings

That said, they're pretty great once broken in. The snow might be almost done for the season which means no more boot-killing salt, so I might break out the Iron Rangers soon.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I don't know what all the hullabaloo about breaking them in is. I've had mine for about three months now and I never really felt uncomfortable at any point in them. I wasn't used boots that were that high up on my shin so the pressure and rubbing there was a little different, but I never felt it was painful and I never had real discomfort. I don't know if some people just have really sensitive feet or what.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Half price? Okay:

Is it time for off-season sales on boots? I bought some Skis from a friend but don't have any boots or poles. Is there a best place that 'll have boss hogg deals around this time, or jus go to my local ski/outdoor shop and see what they have?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Buy boots in person and have a competent fitter walk you through it within your budget. And, yes, it's spring pricing time. Poles, buy whatever in the appropriate length for you. Don't forget a helmet, by the way. Head trauma isn't cool.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Buy boots in person and have a competent fitter walk you through it within your budget. And, yes, it's spring pricing time. Poles, buy whatever in the appropriate length for you. Don't forget a helmet, by the way. Head trauma isn't cool.

Thanks for the advice! And yup, got a helmet already!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

rockcity posted:

I don't know what all the hullabaloo about breaking them in is. I've had mine for about three months now and I never really felt uncomfortable at any point in them. I wasn't used boots that were that high up on my shin so the pressure and rubbing there was a little different, but I never felt it was painful and I never had real discomfort. I don't know if some people just have really sensitive feet or what.

I had massive blisters from my Red Wing moc toes this fall. I've bought and subsequently sold Red Wings twice now. They look cool but not worth the hassle of break in, plus it feels like they take forever to lace.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

LOL if you paid that much for Red Wings

That said, they're pretty great once broken in. The snow might be almost done for the season which means no more boot-killing salt, so I might break out the Iron Rangers soon.

Pay hundreds of dollars for boots that you can't wear in weather that boots are designed to be worn in. Gotchya.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

RCarr posted:

Pay hundreds of dollars for boots that you can't wear in weather that boots are designed to be worn in. Gotchya.

Um, yea, Iron Rangers are definitely not a snow boot and were never crafted for use in the snow. There are plenty of options with Vibram soles which work just fine in the snow when properly maintained (rub some boot wax into the leather before /after the season, wipe off salt with a rag when you come inside, etc) or you can keep buying lovely ugly snow boots that weigh 10 pounds.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
excuse me sir did you just boot-shame me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

The Science Goy posted:

Um, yea, Iron Rangers are definitely not a snow boot and were never crafted for use in the snow. There are plenty of options with Vibram soles which work just fine in the snow when properly maintained (rub some boot wax into the leather before /after the season, wipe off salt with a rag when you come inside, etc) or you can keep buying lovely ugly snow boots that weigh 10 pounds.

My snow boots are neither ugly nor do they weigh 10 pounds. They DO allow me to step in ankle deep puddles and thigh high snowdrifts, which is bloody necessary during a British Columbia winter...