Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

lelandjs posted:

Part of the fun of the game is learning what the items do and making choices based on the items you're given. "Okay, so orbital tears suck by themselves but if I get another item down the line that synergizes nicely with it, I'll be crazy OP... but am I gonna be able to make it out of this floor if I do take them?" (That was me last night, and no, I couldn't).

Sometimes you get an item that you don't know, and it's terrible, and it ruins your run. Sometimes you forget what Bob's Rotten Head looks like, you take it, and it ruins your run. That's part of the game. You're not gonna win every time, and sometimes it's not even your fault you lose.

Also Rebirth and the expansions make the game way, way better. I've tried playing the original flash version and I can't.

I totally get the appeal. I've dumped just shy of 100 hours into the original. I just don't have the patience anymore, especially if they've added a bunch of new items and secret routes and stuff. It eventually got to the point where it felt more like a slot machine, hoping to get cool loot on a run but was pretty unsatisfying overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BoI would do well to have a 'Restart' button in the menu when I don't feel like continuing a run anymore :v:

Also seed history would be nice.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stan Taylor posted:

I totally get the appeal. I've dumped just shy of 100 hours into the original. I just don't have the patience anymore, especially if they've added a bunch of new items and secret routes and stuff. It eventually got to the point where it felt more like a slot machine, hoping to get cool loot on a run but was pretty unsatisfying overall.

My misunderstanding, I thought that was the first run of the game you'd ever played (though I guess the fact that you got to Mom should have tipped me off that it wasn't).

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Infinitum posted:

BoI would do well to have a 'Restart' button in the menu when I don't feel like continuing a run anymore :v:

Ya on PC, R is a dope button for a reason. They should map it to something on the controller.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Infinitum posted:

Cerepol posted:

Ya on PC, R is a dope button for a reason. They should map it to something on the controller.

Think it was suppose to have a restart button, as the manual (I got it digitally so I can't confirm) I guess mentions the restart button. And there is a item you get for restarting seven times in a row that is currently inaccessible. I imagine it will get added with some of the slowdown improvements and first booster pack whenever they get to that.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

*new game is released*

*dude immediately shows up*

"Gonna wait for the inevitable price markdown by next Tuesday"

Nintendo switch chat

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

*new game is released*

*dude immediately shows up*

"Gonna wait for the inevitable price markdown by next Tuesday"

Nintendo switch chat

That's pretty common in *insert video game thread here*.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Infinitum posted:

The tale of How Infinitum Managed To Really Really Slow Down Binding of Isaac

Once upon a time Infinitum did a XXXXXXXXL challenge run and got Tammy's Head + Dr Fetus + Sad Bombs + Apple (Razor Tears) + Poison Tears + Coin Tears + Constant Base Damage Upgrades

He proceeded to one shot everything at 5fps.
The end.

The only way that could have been better is if I got the pyromaniac item to avoid taking bomb damage :allears:

Getting real sick of posters that post out of ill-will. No one cares for your trolling

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That game looks really ugly, why do people like it so much?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

bef posted:

Getting real sick of posters that post out of ill-will. No one cares for your trolling

Yeah, stop loving lying about framerate issues.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Because it's fun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wow they dont have a restart button on switch for BoI?

*starts new run on PC*
*restarts 5 times until I get a cool starting item*

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

It's ugly and juvenile, but the gameplay is solid.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cojawfee posted:

This is a bad post, and you should feel bad

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

binding of isaac's art style might not be for everyone, but the game is loving sweet otherwise duder

the item interactions and sheer replayability and amount of bosses and unlockables is crazy

ive put like 400 hours on BoI on PC

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bef posted:

The only ill will I have is for bad BoI seeds :frogc00l:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's not NBA Jam, but maybe you'll like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3a_s0EIYsc

$20, next month on PC/PS4/Switch/Xbox One.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

This actually looks dope.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Has Kontrol Freaks or whoever made thumb stick extenders for the Switch yet?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Seems like it would be more lasting if it were fake characters instead of real players with big heads. Still seems weird to see a multi platform game saying it's coming out on a Nintendo console.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Policenaut posted:

So it's basically 3D NBA Jam
Noice

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cojawfee posted:

I agree with you. The game is ugly as poo poo. I've known about it for years but never bothered to play because the art was so atrocious. But I took a chance and bought it for Switch.

The game mechanics and controls are so good that you forget about the huge black lines and poop. The game is fun. The game is compelling. I can't tell you how many times I told myself that it was my last run or last 15 minutes before I put the game down and do something else.

It is a fun time sink. It's great to play for 40 minutes at lunch, put Switch away, and pick back up on the 15 minute train ride. And it's even loving cooler to walk into my home and put it in the dock to pick up right where i left off.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Policenaut posted:

That looks dumb as gently caress. The 2011(?) NBA Jam was dope though, especially 4 player. I wish they'd just make another one of those.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Bill Barber posted:

That looks dumb as gently caress. The 2011(?) NBA Jam was dope though, especially 4 player. I wish they'd just make another one of those.

I can't really make out any kind of gameplay from that trailer. Looks like it might have a trick system like from NBA Street mixed with the simplicity of Jam. I'm cautiously optimistic.

It looks about as dumb as the last NBA Jam which ruled so I don't know.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

eonwe posted:

binding of isaac's art style might not be for everyone, but the game is loving sweet otherwise duder

the item interactions and sheer replayability and amount of bosses and unlockables is crazy

ive put like 400 hours on BoI on PC

To add to this, Isaac is interesting in that while the shooting gameplay is not as good as say, Enter the Gungeon, Isaac is built upon a number of risk/reward mechanics and if you are willing to take risks frequently it is very possible to get incredibly powerful, and the weak start you have makes it more fun when you get that payoff.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grand theft grotto posted:

To add to this, Isaac is interesting in that while the shooting gameplay is not as good as say, Enter the Gungeon, Isaac is built upon a number of risk/reward mechanics and if you are willing to take risks frequently it is very possible to get incredibly powerful, and the weak start you have makes it more fun when you get that payoff.

ya!

give up max health for some really good items that can potentially snowball into an insanely bullshit character

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

I can't really make out any kind of gameplay from that trailer. Looks like it might have a trick system like from NBA Street mixed with the simplicity of Jam. I'm cautiously optimistic.

It looks about as dumb as the last NBA Jam which ruled so I don't know.

I loved the Street series. NFL Street was the perfect spiritual successor to Blitz. For a game that's out next month I'd like to see some actual gameplay.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Ohtsam posted:

With all of the supply chain and retail costs they might only be breaking even on them. Though there are a few rumors to the effect of nvidia giving nintendo a sweetheart deal on the tegra chips

Box stores post at a retail markup of 50% so Nintendo is definitely selling below cost. If that's actually what it costs to make one of these.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Re-release an updated 3 on 3 NHL Arcade with online play and I will have handheld bliss.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Lord Wexia posted:

Re-release an updated 3 on 3 NHL Arcade with online play and I will have handheld bliss.

Old Time Hockey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzHb0VWij_o

Out now on Steam and PS4, Xbone and Switch soon.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Beastie posted:

Old Time Hockey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzHb0VWij_o

Out now on Steam and PS4, Xbone and Switch soon.

No online play, 5 on 5, slower paced, and most importantly no tiny goalie power-down.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Oh snap, I didn't know it had no online. I guess I'll keep my Gamecube plugged in for Hitz.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Nolgthorn posted:

Box stores post at a retail markup of 50% so Nintendo is definitely selling below cost. If that's actually what it costs to make one of these.

Not the consoles...

I know Walmart makes $25-$27 on PS4/XBO

Who knows what the bill of materials is on these things actually are

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Nolgthorn posted:

yeah not on bideo game consoles.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like Isaac's artstyle and theme too. It only works for me there though. I can't stand McMillen's flash art on his other games.

Mixing Zelda 1, roguelikes, violence, Catholic imagery and literal poo poo makes for an interesting game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean it works because the game came out like what feels like 20 years and people are still talking about it and playing it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I certainly don't begrudge anyone else for liking it but it reminds me of late 90's/early 00's Newgrounds "dead baby" joke art and I have a hard time getting past that. I'm sure the gameplay is good though, I really liked Super Meat Boy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ya th e game owns, the art is a matter of taste. I personally like Binding of Isaac more than Binding of Isaac Rebirth

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Retail margins on computers and game systems are razor thin. 10% is high. High end stuff (multi thousand MSRP) has more. 50% is straight up insanity for anything with a power button.

The only high margins in electronics are on accessories/ cables/ batteries and warranties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Norns posted:

That would drive me insane. How hard is it just to apply the thing in a steamy bathroom and not worry about it at all?

I did this and I was ever so slightly off center but still entirely on the screen so I felt ok about it, I had a tiny dust bubble in the upper left side which I basically just pressed toward the edge with my thumb every time I went to play until it eventually disappeared. Now I play it as normal and am not at all driven crazy by it, unless you count being compelled to justify it to a stranger on the internet.

• Locked thread