Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It just seems really silly to get that worked up about as if it's on par with EA or Ubisoft abuse of it's employees or something.

I just don't trust a dev that's afraid of people showing its game off,is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

It just seems really silly to get that worked up about as if it's on par with EA or Ubisoft abuse of it's employees or something.

don't pull the whole "BUT THERE ARE OTHER PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD" thing

people can care about more than one thing at a time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

I just don't trust a dev that's afraid of people showing its game off,is all.

It's perfectly fine to say what Atlus is doing is stupid but you're not really boycotting unless you're willing to follow through on it with the companies who are even more extreme about it. (Including the companies who, for example, block streaming of PS4 games which includes Bandai-Namco and Square-Enix and companies who block streams like Nintendo.) Also speaking as someone who has gotten guidelines for what can and can't be shown off in games what Atlus asked is actually super common, they're just stupid enough to think they can apply it to everyone who purchased their game.

As it stands going "I'm boycotting Atlus!!" feels bizarre like you've been ignoring all the other companies doing this until now. If you want to play Persona 5 then play Persona 5. If you want to boycott companies that try to adhere to stupid streaming rules then do so.

Edit: and I say this as someone who also got their Youtube channel smashed by Atlus JPN when I tried to post videos of the opening segment of the game back when the Japanese version came out too. They've been doing this for six months so far.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Apr 5, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Slime posted:

don't pull the whole "BUT THERE ARE OTHER PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD" thing

people can care about more than one thing at a time

I didn't say that just " lovely business practices" feels...extreme I guess.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I didn't say that just " lovely business practices" feels...extreme I guess.

EA and Ubisoft's lovely business practiced are old news. EA in particular has been known for like a decade or two at this point. This is fresh shittery, so people obviously talk about it more.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It's perfectly fine to say what Atlus is doing is stupid but you're not really boycotting unless you're willing to follow through on it with the companies who are even more extreme about it. (Including the companies who, for example, block streaming of PS4 games which includes Bandai-Namco and Square-Enix and companies who block streams like Nintendo.) Also speaking as someone who has gotten guidelines for what can and can't be shown off in games what Atlus asked is actually super common, they're just stupid enough to think they can apply it to everyone who purchased their game.

As it stands going "I'm boycotting Atlus!!" feels bizarre like you've been ignoring all the other companies doing this until now. If you want to play Persona 5 then play Persona 5. If you want to boycott companies that try to adhere to stupid streaming rules then do so.

Which is why I'm not buying a Switch or any upcoming Sqaure Enix titles,as well .Don't need to crawl up my rear end about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

Which is why I'm not buying a Switch or any upcoming Sqaure Enix titles,as well .Don't need to crawl up my rear end about it.

You purchased Nier Automata so apparently that isn't a very meaningful boycott.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You purchased Nier Automata so apparently that isn't a very meaningful boycott.

That was a while before I found out about the whole thing,so I traded it in at my local Gamestop.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

That was a while before I found out about the whole thing,so I traded it in at my local Gamestop.

Why won't you let your commas breathe

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

Buddy. Guy. Friend.

They already got their money out of you. You may as well have played your game given that they'd already gotten their money out of you.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Slime posted:

Buddy. Guy. Friend.

They already got their money out of you. You may as well have played your game given that they'd already gotten their money out of you.

Yeah, but I was already a few hours in Horizon and I'd barely started Nier so it wasn't a big loss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah, but I was already a few hours in Horizon and I'd barely started Nier so it wasn't a big loss.

Horizon also blocks streaming when it gets to spoiler scenes.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Horizon also blocks streaming when it gets to spoiler scenes.

Well, I'm almost finished anyway, so I'll trade it when I get to the ending.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

VolticSurge posted:

Well, I'm almost finished anyway, so I'll trade it when I get to the ending.

This is the most limp dicked boycott I've ever seen goddamn.

Also why support GameStop's lovely business practices, one has to think those have to be way worse than atlus.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also why support GameStop's lovely business practices, one has to think those have to be way worse than atlus.

I dunno, I've seen limper dicked boycotts.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Trust me, I would, but it's the only place close to my house. I used to get my games from Future Shop, but then they shut down and whelp. And I'm not touching Best Buy again after they dicked me over this one time.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'm boycotting you

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There's a pretty hefty difference between blocking sharing of specific scenes through the PS4 itself and threatening to copyright strike anyone who uploads or streams any videos of it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Slime posted:

I dunno, I've seen limper dicked boycotts.

No boycott dick will ever be as limp as steam_mw2.jpg

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Danaru posted:

There's a pretty hefty difference between blocking sharing of specific scenes through the PS4 itself and threatening to copyright strike anyone who uploads or streams any videos of it

Which is pretty much the reason I kept Horizon. They seem to be OK with people playing it on Youtube.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Danaru posted:

If you don't want a copyright strike you could always, you know, just not upload copyrighted material in the first place.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I also boycott the things I've already bought.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

VolticSurge posted:

Trust me, I would, but it's the only place close to my house. I used to get my games from Future Shop, but then they shut down and whelp. And I'm not touching Best Buy again after they dicked me over this one time.

Unless Best Buy dicked you over after they closed up all the Future Shops, they were both owned by the same company. So it didn't matter that you went one place over the other, the money was going to the same place.

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, the only way to survive is to ignore it and face to bloodshed.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

VolticSurge posted:

I'm not buying a Switch because I don't plan to play it in handheld mode but if you keep it docked all the time it warps so eventually my console would just curl up on itself like something out of of Uzumaki

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Holy mother of Christ, who gives a poo poo? I like / don't like thing for arbitrary reasons that are my reasons. Nobody needs to justify their opinions.
I don't buy games if they aren't available on Steam of GoG. Not because I hate Ubisoft or whomever, but because I can't be bothered to install four front-ends just to play games. And GoG's is optional.
Who cares? I could just as easily say "I don't buy bioware games because of what they did with Dragon Age II" but it's really because I can't get it through Steam but it really really doesn't matter.

I'm getting mad at people getting mad about video games.

PYF thing - War for the Overworld] is Dungeon Keeper 3 in all but name. Everything about it is a call-back to the classic but better. They just released a My Pet Dungeon DLC which is the very thing I was wanting for it. No pressure, complete control, you can build everything you ever wanted then pick and choose what heroes you want to attack, if any. It's like they understand their audience and want to build things that they will enjoy playing.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Unless Best Buy dicked you over after they closed up all the Future Shops, they were both owned by the same company. So it didn't matter that you went one place over the other, the money was going to the same place.

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, the only way to survive is to ignore it and face to bloodshed.
Trust me, Gamestop was my last resort, I was using Best Buy as my Future Shop substitute. Basically, the short version of the story is that I wanted to get my nephew a New 3DS and Pokemon Sun for Christmas. When I get to the Best Buy, the cashier, who's a lovely teenager (or a 20-something who acts like a lovely teenager) tells me they're not in stock. I reply that I know that they are because I checked the site. She gets snippy with me, so I ask for the manager. He comes up, I tell him the problem, and when he goes back to check turns out there's several copes of Sun and a few 3DS'. He asks her why she didn't just check before assuming they're out of stock, and she makes a bunch of excuses that indicate she gave no shits about doing her actual job. An argument breaks out, and after 5 or so minutes of me awkwardly standing there, he shoos her away and I pay for the things with him in her stead. He sternly says "There. Now get out." or something to that effect, my recollection is fuzzy.
Which is why I hate Best Buy . At Gamestop,worst I've gotten is maybe an awkward look.

On a more on-topic note,I've been playing Battle Brothers,and it's just plain charming:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Blocking streaming is a thing that companies have been doing since before consoles had native stream capability. Being tied into the system just gives them more control over when and how.

And this poo poo has been going on a while now. Getting mad because Atlus did what koei-tecmo, Activision, Rocksteady/WB and a host of other people have done is dumb. Also, VolticSurge, that is the dumbest excuse for gamblers fallacy I've seen in a while. You already paid them, then paid Gamestop when someone buys your old copy. That's a dumb boycott.

Getting back to little things in games, one of the weapons in Nier will cheer and make fight noises when you max out its level. Its amazing, like having a personal hype-man for your fights.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

Blocking streaming is a thing that companies have been doing since before consoles had native stream capability. Being tied into the system just gives them more control over when and how.

And this poo poo has been going on a while now. Getting mad because Atlus did what koei-tecmo, Activision, Rocksteady/WB and a host of other people have done is dumb. Also, VolticSurge, that is the dumbest excuse for gamblers fallacy I've seen in a while. You already paid them, then paid Gamestop when someone buys your old copy. That's a dumb boycott.
Yeah, I'm dumb and wrong about everything. I get it. Can you drop it now? Because I am.

VolticSurge has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Apr 5, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

J.A.B.C. posted:

Getting back to little things in games, one of the weapons in Nier will cheer and make fight noises when you max out its level. Its amazing, like having a personal hype-man for your fights.

I love the baseball bat that makes damage numbers comically huge, puts a comic book pow behind its colossally boosted critical hits, and turns all of the old, rusty loot boxes into out-of-place red-and-gold video game treasure chests.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i can't believe yoko taro is a serious sam fan.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Somfin posted:

I love the baseball bat that makes damage numbers comically huge, puts a comic book pow behind its colossally boosted critical hits, and turns all of the old, rusty loot boxes into out-of-place red-and-gold video game treasure chests.

Another great one is the Beast series of weapons that give you Wolverine-like aftereffects on your weapons with each swing. I don't even think they do anything, its just cool.

Also, I think I saw it on Pat from Two Best Friends, but certain weapon setups turn into specific styles. Two short swords makes you a dual-wielder, a spear and large sword combo turn you into a pole dancer, and double bracers makes you Star Platinum. Its a very nice detail.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

bitterandtwisted posted:

So much effort went into characterising the campers and I wish they'd had a bigger role.

Twisted, Gothic asylums full of tortured monsters are a big vidoegame cliche, but I liked that Psychonauts switched things up by having the inhabitants be well defined characters with their own back stories and symptoms of real mental health problems like the biploar actress and paranoid schizophrenic guard.
The Milkman Conspiracy was great - every line from the agents was gold.

Is the tower with the skewed dome referencing something? There's one in the Nightmare before Christmas and I think I've seen it elsewhere as well (maybe an Elder Scrolls game). Maybe some old expressionist film?

Personally I think the biggest flaw with Psychonauts is that after you beat a level, it just dies. The fun color and charm of it all is just gone and it makes collecting things or replaying any of it just not fun.

Somfin posted:

It is a dragon quest reference and I love it. It also makes the healing numbers into big bright green cartoon numbers as well. There's also a sword that's a reference to FFXV and it turns your dodge into the cool blue teleport thing and makes all the damage numbers blue. You can use them both at the same time.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't buy capcom games anymore because they've tried to sell the endings of games as DLC like twice now and sold the entire second half of Operation Raccoon City as DLC despite marketing it heavily and keep pulling other shady things such as getting caught with all their fighting game DLC on the disk, saying they'll never do it again and doing it again.
I wouldn't even really call it a boycott. I'm just tired of that poo poo happening and I can stand to not play Resident Evil anymore.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Nuebot posted:

I don't buy capcom games anymore because they've tried to sell the endings of games as DLC like twice now
The Bioware Gambit

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There's like two other threads in PYF dedicated to complaining about games, no need to turn the thread expressly about things you like into a third one of them

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

Personally I think the biggest flaw with Psychonauts is that after you beat a level, it just dies. The fun color and charm of it all is just gone and it makes collecting things or replaying any of it just not fun.

Speaking of collecting things, I love the art work for the figments. Basically figments are just brightly colored random doodles usually based on the levels theme, really adds a lot of charm to the levels - although at times, they can be rather hard to see.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
edit: joke sounded a lot funnier in my head.

i like how save points work in nier:automata. it reminds me of an idea for a survival horror game i thought up in high school.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Apr 6, 2017

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
When people say Nier has goofy weapons do you mean both of them or just Automata?

Content: Your grumpy caretaker in Persona 5 is a big fan of cats. It's cute.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cloks posted:

When people say Nier has goofy weapons do you mean both of them or just Automata?

Content: Your grumpy caretaker in Persona 5 is a big fan of cats. It's cute.

In Persona 5 you take your talking cat with you everywhere. Even classes at school are spent with him tucked away on the shelf under your desk, because why not? :allears:.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

While the gameplay doesn't match up with the tone at times, Watch_Dogs 2's story is so wonderfully silly I'm getting similar grins from it I did in Saints Row 4. Sure going on a murder spree completely contradicts the "dorky hackers who steal not-Knight Rider" shenanigans, but it's great.

Just a shame the hacker invasions result in people yanking their cable when I'm about to win, aaaah.
Winning/Losing really doesn't matter as much as it somehow did in WD1. Winning just gets you some extra EXP/$$$.

You still have to deal with people knowing all the perfect hiding spots though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

poptart_fairy posted:

Just a shame the hacker invasions result in people yanking their cable when I'm about to win, aaaah.

Are they doing that to keep their K/D ratio?

Games really should punish that poo poo. If you alt-f4 at less than 10% health it should count as a loss and you get the "whiny piss baby" tag added to your name for 30 days as a warning to others.

Aleph Null posted:

PYF thing - War for the Overworld] is Dungeon Keeper 3 in all but name.

Just checked a few screenshots of the game and, wow, it really is. And may I just say, about damned time!

Dungeon Keeper was so much fun.

I remember once, in DK2, a massive hero invasion had just penetrated my outer walls and I was completely unable to stop it because Diso Inferno had just started playing and every single one of my minions was disco daning their evil little hearts out.