Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I was disappointed with The Hanging Tree because I really wanted to watch the Nightingale throw down against the Faceless Man and that never happened. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Daphnaie posted:

You think? I'd really like to hear why you think so, because that'd be awesome. If that't the case, perhaps I need to reread The Hanging Tree with an eye out for that.

Is that why Peter will end up freeing Mr Punch? To stop her?

Well, think about it:

From the very first chapter of book 1, Leslie has been Peter's rival. A friendly rival but clearly, unequivocally better than him at his own job. Her descent into villainy is either forced on her due to random chance OR, gently caress it, actually Peter's fault. Now she's headed irrevocably down a dark path and her nega-Gandalf is on track to be taken off the board.

I do hope Aaronovitch introduces some other threats and Big Bads but long term Leslie is Peter's nemesis.

I mean, he's beaten the FM three times now. Has he ever, really, beaten Leslie?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, think about it:

From the very first chapter of book 1, Leslie has been Peter's rival. A friendly rival but clearly, unequivocally better than him at his own job. Her descent into villainy is either forced on her due to random chance OR, gently caress it, actually Peter's fault. Now she's headed irrevocably down a dark path and her nega-Gandalf is on track to be taken off the board.

I do hope Aaronovitch introduces some other threats and Big Bads but long term Leslie is Peter's nemesis.

This is what I think is gonna happen too. In fact, I feel that they'll catch the FM when Lesley throws him under the magic school bus as part of whatever game she's playing.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
What fustrated me the most​ about The Hanging Tree is how it didn't progress the main plot in any meaningful way. We found out who The Faceless Man is, but he's some random jagoff instead of, say, a known character whose reveal would mean actual concequence. If he was an active and recurring character like, say, a member of the Met, it'd actually mean something and bring concequence to this series but no, it's somone of little concequence. Sure, May's shown to now be the real power between her and Faceless but you know what would of actually made the story that much better? If she would've killed him right then and there to supplant herself as The Folly's most wanted-especially since the identity of Faceless is of little concequence in the grand scheme of the plot. It would've even further reinforced her key character trait in how throughout the series she was exceptionally ambitious as a foil to Peter who's really unexceptional. But instead, I was left with missed opportunities and dissatisfaction. This book was pure filler and it's apparent that Aaronovitch is content staying in a holding pattern until he figures out a suitable resolution for this series.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 5, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For most of the series, Peter has definitely had a better nose for crime than Lesley. (Or at all.)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wheat Loaf posted:

For most of the series, Peter has definitely had a better nose for crime than Lesley. (Or at all.)

He discounts a lot of that by being incompetent, though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The new Alex Verus book is out, who else is reading it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'll probably start it today

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

He has a better nose for crime but is a lot worse at actual detectiving. He and Lesley basically perfectly compliment each other's skillsets which I guess is the irony.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was making a :thejoke: about Lesley not having a nose.

Granted, it wasn't very funny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was making a :thejoke: about Lesley not having a nose.

Granted, it wasn't very funny.

Well, I am an idiot then.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

I'll probably start it today

First impressions from the first few chapters: Luna can't catch a loving break.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Well she's literally cursed so

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I kind of don't want to, after the ending of the last one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is pretty much her lot in life, isn't it?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

Well she's literally cursed so

I'm a few chapters further along now and it gets better.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm gonna read it this weekend, already lost too much sleep this week due to glass predator.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ika posted:

I'm gonna read it this weekend, already lost too much sleep this week due to glass predator.

I was reading that but stopped to read Verus first. I'm just not that invested in Harmony Black like I am with Faust.

EDIT to post this: I don't particularly like the mage name Luna chose for herself.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 5, 2017

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I have to wait a month for the audiobook to come out :(

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

gently caress, of course you would end the book there.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, it's going to be too long until the next book.

Bound starts slow but really drives home at the end.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SystemLogoff posted:

gently caress, of course you would end the book there.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, it's going to be too long until the next book.

Bound starts slow but really drives home at the end.

Yeah, god damnit Jacka.

Poor Anne.

Also LOL at Verus not being as afraid of Drakh as he used to be any more. There definitely won't be any consequences for attacking Drakh later, no sir.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, think about it:

Well he beats her twice in the book, the second time she gets pepper sprayed in the face which would put anyone down, and both times she pulls a vanishing act with no explanation. That's my only major wtf with the book.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Bound was.. sure something. I'm still amazed that this started off as such a Dresden Files ripoff and then the series became.. this. That cliffhanger, though!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still maintain Richard Drakh is a really loving stupid name for a villain and it makes me rather unable to take him seriously.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

anilEhilated posted:

I still maintain Richard Drakh is a really loving stupid name for a villain and it makes me rather unable to take him seriously.

He dresses up as a badass merc knight, I think he's a huge nerd. The mage name is just proof he was more obvious when he was younger.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Daniel O'Malley on writing an unexpected sequel to The Rook

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I always thought that was basically the point of Richard. He's a giant self-absorbed nerd who thinks he's more important than he really is. He's basically Steve Bannon with magic powers.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

ImpAtom posted:

I always thought that was basically the point of Richard. He's a giant self-absorbed nerd who thinks he's more important than he really is. He's basically Steve Bannon with magic powers.

But Steve Bannon is a hero. :confused:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

But Steve Bannon is a hero. :confused:

Only to tremendous shitheads, which I'm certain nobody in this thread is. Which is fortunate because you'd have to be a massive self-absorbed pathetic worthless pile of poo poo to support Steve Bannon and it would really be pitiable and sad.

Which conveniently applies to most of Richard's die-hards too. They're all basically pathetic losers desperately clinging at being important because of how hosed up they are.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

ImpAtom posted:

Only to tremendous shitheads, which I'm certain nobody in this thread is. Which is fortunate because you'd have to be a massive self-absorbed pathetic worthless pile of poo poo to support Steve Bannon and it would really be pitiable and sad.

One of these things is blatantly incorrect.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

That's talking about Stiletto, which came out last year. It's a reflection on the experience.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most recent book I've read was Mysteries of the Diogenes Club, one of Kim Newman's short story collections. This was where Drearcliff Grange School (which I hope he revisits - I asked him if he planned to on Twitter a while back and he said he hoped to get back to the school one day but he's a busy guy) originally debuted. I enjoyed it all a lot right up until the final story, of which I enjoyed all but the last couple of parts. It's a story called "Seven Stars", which is split into seven parts and goes through all his main protagonists until you get to this continuity's version of Geneviève in the cyberpunk 2020s, and it really underlined my distaste for big apocalyptic stories.

That's subjective on my part, of course. I think it's a well-told story. Nonetheless, I'm at the point where I'm just a bit bored of all the end-of-the-world stuff. When I watched the TV series Millennium, I thought its second season was a really ahead-of-its-time, well put-together story, but its whole thing was Lance Henriksen getting caught up in this Christian eschatological disaster he was powerless to stop and it just washed over me. I liked it better when it was Criminal Minds a decade early with the suggestion that weird poo poo was happening.

It's just not my thing and I have a hard time articulating why.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Finally burned through The latest Alex Verus, and sweet Jesus, for a slow meandering book with no real over-arching plot, what a great ending.

Also, Luna has become the best part of this series and nothing any of you can say will convince me otherwise :colbert:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Druggeddwarf posted:

Finally burned through The latest Alex Verus, and sweet Jesus, for a slow meandering book with no real over-arching plot, what a great ending.

Also, Luna has become the best part of this series and nothing any of you can say will convince me otherwise :colbert:

Yeah, it had a bit of the 'middle book of a trilogy' syndrome in that it was mostly continuing plots from previous books without wrapping very much up, but I didn't mind the slower pace - it was mildly refreshing having him not be in immediate mortal danger for 85% of the book, for once.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Druggeddwarf posted:

I don't know. I liked the side-bit where they were discussing the merits of a Life Mage turning someone into what would essentially be Wolverine.

Luna is pretty great, but so are most of the supporting characters.

I'm pretty sure Anne has gone down the SHTF path from the dragon prophecy though.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

so when is the new dresden files book supposed to come out? he heisted hades like 3 years ago now

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ramadu posted:

so when is the new dresden files book supposed to come out? he heisted hades like 3 years ago now

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Has anyone waded into the belly of the beast for insider info lately? The forums at Jim-Butcher.com, in spite of the awful fanfwank, often has useful tidbits locked away.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Blasphemeral posted:

Has anyone waded into the belly of the beast for insider info lately? The forums at Jim-Butcher.com, in spite of the awful fanfwank, often has useful tidbits locked away.

There isn't much to figure out. The first chapter's been shown. Jim normally takes a year or two between Files. The book would probably be out by now if not for the hiccups in his real life.

Peg Peace Talks for August/September 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Peg Peace Talks for August/September 2017.

That's unlikely due to the logistics and the fact that if he was far enough along for a late summer/early fall release, we'd know about it by now.

Nov/Dec 2017 is a possibility, but I suspect early 2018 is more likely.

Edit: And that's assuming he's a lot farther along than he's hinted at in interviews. It's entirely possible we won't see the next Dresden book until Fall 2018 or later. Jim's had a lot of bad poo poo go down in his life over the last couple of years that have slowed him down, but he's also got a lot of positive things coming up in the near future (moving in to his new house, his wedding) that will also take away from his writing time.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 13, 2017