Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
My lovely '15 Fiesta has the strangest issue I've seen in a newer car. Soaking wet rear passenger footwell, dry front footwells. Recurring issue so it wasn't a passenger that spilled something. I dropped it off at the stealership and it will probably take a ton of $130 labor hours to take seats out, carpet out, and try to find the leak. I don't even know what fluid it is but it has to be water. It seems to happen even if it's not raining outside and there's zero obvious water ingress from the outside.

The obvious theory would be A/C drain, except the mechanic has never seen that without a wet front footwell, and said he personally rules that out. Wtf :(

It is out-of-warranty for anything not drivetrain. I might bug Ford about it because it seems like a clear factory defect in SOMETHING. I will probably get a form letter "no" response since it's not in warranty.

This idiotic repair is going to cost a chunk of this lovely car's value.

VVVV Forgot to mention I do not have a sunroof/moonroof.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Do you have a sunroof/moonroof/whatever?

They have drain tubes, sometimes if they get clogged you wind up with the mystery of the wet floor (or get a surprise shower when taking a turn).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Michael Scott posted:

I don't even know what fluid it is but it has to be water.

Soak it up with a paper towel and give it a sniff.

Should give you an idea what fluid it is.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Michael Scott posted:

My lovely '15 Fiesta has the strangest issue I've seen in a newer car. Soaking wet rear passenger footwell, dry front footwells.

Hatchback? Did you check for water in the spare tire well? Could be worn or loose weather seal(s) around the hatch letting water into the back and it works it's way forward.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Sedan, not hatchback version. Dry trunk.

The mechanic said an early estimate before he hears from a technician is 8-9 hours of labor to even diagnose the issue by taking out seats, carpet, wiring, and dash trim. Ughhhhhhhhh that's over $1k, 10-20% of the car's value.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

Sedan, not hatchback version. Dry trunk.

The mechanic said an early estimate before he hears from a technician is 8-9 hours of labor to even diagnose the issue by taking out seats, carpet, wiring, and dash trim. Ughhhhhhhhh that's over $1k, 10-20% of the car's value.

gently caress that.

Put it under cover and dry it out with a hairdryer and the AC. Stick paper towels all along the carpet and drive it through a car wash

Watch the water appear through a seal in the trunk somewhere

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I checked the trunk thoroughly and it is bone dry. One possibility is it's rainwater coming in through a door seal, draining through the trim (never being visible on the inside) until it gets to the footwell, where it accumulates on the carpet. Zero visible problems with the rubber door trim.

I swear it happens on dry days but it might just be the accumulation I'm noticing.

Called Ford 'customer care' and the Phillipines call center person was able to 'escalate' it to Ford for consideration and will involve the dealership service manager somehow. I'm betting the answer will be no on any help, but worth a try.

Another annoying thing is after extensive Googling, it seems like I'm the only person this has ever happened to with this year and model.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

I checked the trunk thoroughly and it is bone dry. One possibility is it's rainwater coming in through a door seal, draining through the trim (never being visible on the inside) until it gets to the footwell, where it accumulates on the carpet. Zero visible problems with the rubber door trim.

That's it.

Water has a habit of wicking around in the most bizarre ways.

A strong hose/jetwash/car wash can be a good indicator, since you can get a big quality in a short time and drops will be more visible.

I mean, what other fluids could it be? All of the engine stuff has a potent smell/feel/colour that you can detect with a dry paper towel.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What's the general opinion on Hawk brakes?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What's the general opinion on Hawk brakes?

Cool name for some brakes!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Michael Scott posted:

My lovely '15 Fiesta ... is out-of-warranty for anything not drivetrain

how

Like, did you buy a salvage title car? It's two years old at max, how on earth is it out of warranty?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Memento posted:

how

Like, did you buy a salvage title car? It's two years old at max, how on earth is it out of warranty?

Ford's warranty is usually an industry standard 3yr/36k mile bumper-to-bumper. It is past 36k miles (45k).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Got it. Ford new car warranty in Aus is 3 years/100,000km (62k miles and change).

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Yeah manufacturer warranties in the US generally suck rear end. Usually companies take 0 responsibility for most of their products after 1 year.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The trunk opens high. It probably has poo poo around the trunk gasket holding water

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah manufacturer warranties in the US generally suck rear end. Usually companies take 0 responsibility for most of their products after 1 year.

For other products it's like 90 days or something isn't it? Crazy.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
That's Chevy jerking themselves off in commercials for not falling apart as soon as they drive off the lot

"Highest initial quality from JD Power and associates"

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

That's Chevy jerking themselves off in commercials for not falling apart as soon as they drive off the lot

"Highest initial quality from JD Power and associates"

https://youtu.be/zSBsq6HBBzw

"I just Googled it and it's pretty much a made up award. Initial quality is for like the first 90 days"

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Manufactures are stupid good at making poo poo last exactly for the duration of the warranty.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I am going to be selling my car soon and since I am the 2nd owner would like to get a Carfax. I remember a thread a while back where someone was selling Carfax reports for much cheaper than what I can buy online. Is there still a thread like this?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

I am going to be selling my car soon and since I am the 2nd owner would like to get a Carfax. I remember a thread a while back where someone was selling Carfax reports for much cheaper than what I can buy online. Is there still a thread like this?

Carfax clamped down on that ages ago.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Carfax clamped down on that ages ago.

In that case, would you recommend any of the following websites on this page to run a check on the car? https://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvtis_vehiclehistory.html

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

If you're selling, let the buyer run a Carfax if they want to.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Buying off road tires for my Tacoma, 265/70R17, thinking of going with BFGoodrich K02. How big of a difference is there going to be between the E load rating and the C load rating? I've heard that the C is better for offroading if you're not planning on hauling but I don't know how big of a difference there will be.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

opengl128 posted:

If you're selling, let the buyer run a Carfax if they want to.

Well the thing is I listed the car as having a clean title because I'm pretty sure that's what it had. There's only been one other owner besides me and she was this family friend who had to sell it to move back to Asia. I know it's not salvaged / stolen or anything but I just don't want it to come back and bite me in the rear end later.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

"Clean title" just means "not salvage", and your title would definitely say something about it being salvage, rebuilt, etc if that were the case.

If you're that worried about it, just fork over the money for your own Carfax or Autocheck, but don't be surprised if the buyer wants to run their own.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 5, 2017

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Busy Bee posted:

Well the thing is I listed the car as having a clean title because I'm pretty sure that's what it had. There's only been one other owner besides me and she was this family friend who had to sell it to move back to Asia. I know it's not salvaged / stolen or anything but I just don't want it to come back and bite me in the rear end later.

I think your sweating it a little too hard. It's buyers responsibilty to run a carfax

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CornHolio posted:

Yeah that's what I'm gonna do, but first I'm going to replace the fluid. It literally looks like a chocolate milkshake in there. Probably original fluid.

Make sure the truck is level. Don't just jack up the front.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thinking about throwing some new struts in my old 98 civic, maybe the quickstruts or whatever, anything else I should look out for wear wise? Not real big on steering and suspension stuff but I am finally moving my power outlet to behind the e-brake handle in the lil center console box instead of having stuff hanging into my cup holders' business.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the other day, my neighbor's treelimb fell onto my windshield, breaking it. it also did some minor damage to the actual roof of my car, but i can't tell just how cosmetic that damage is.

anyway, my insurance quoted me at around 1100 dollars of damage, that will cost me around 500 dollars out of pocket. included in that estimate are repairs and labor for fixing the roof of my car, which i'd rather not do if the damage is solely cosmetic.

so here's a lovely picture of the roof of my car. how likely is it that the body damage needs to be repaired before i can get a new windshield in? i'll edit in some more once i upload them.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What caused the branch to break off, was it weather or a dead/damaged tree? I see it's rainy so I'm guessing it was a storm.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it was a combination, actually. the limb was pretty dead but only came down during the storm, i guess.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Woops.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 5, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Is there anywhere to get bulk, assorted multipin auto connectors? My car's PO thought it was a smashing idea to hardwire every possible thing to the wiring harness and I'm not looking to pay $5 per connector to undo something that shouldn't have been done

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Phone posting got weird but Shovelbum

Preoptopus posted:

Driver side lower motor/trans mount. Also you'll want to do the sway bar links because you will probably gently caress them up trying to get them off and consider the sway bar bushings if they have play. Also check the bushings on the upper control arms and upper and lower ball joints and tie rods for play obviously.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thanks dude just get all the lil wear parts while I'm in there huh, makes sense

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What car is most like a 98 civic but can go slightly offroad better? The civic is ok on snowmobile trails in the summer if you keep the gas slammed down but if you gotta slow down it sinks in the sand

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
its probably the skinny little tires doing the most harm. buy a set of steelies and try to find some tires that fit and are also designed for offroad.

Otherwise buy an old Subaru?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

shovelbum posted:

What car is most like a 98 civic but can go slightly offroad better? The civic is ok on snowmobile trails in the summer if you keep the gas slammed down but if you gotta slow down it sinks in the sand

Rav 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

`Nemesis posted:

its probably the skinny little tires doing the most harm. buy a set of steelies and try to find some tires that fit and are also designed for offroad.

Otherwise buy an old Subaru?

Do they make lift kits for old imprezas