Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The division that made a lot of those 16-bit Disney games is the same one that made Resident Evil but the "RE runs on the Goof Troop engine!" thing came from Tim Rogers and is completely unsubstantiated, as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mak0rz posted:

People keep saying this and I can't tell if they're serious or not.

Goof Troop is a very good game (with awesome coop) with lots of keys to find and areas broken up into single screen puzzle rooms that was directed by Shinji Mikami the same year he and Capcom began working on Resident Evil so it's hard to imagine that it didn't have some slight influence on the latter.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The division that made a lot of those 16-bit Disney games is the same one that made Resident Evil but the "RE runs on the Goof Troop engine!" thing came from Tim Rogers and is completely unsubstantiated, as far as I know.

Yeah, the engine claim is absurd at best.

Neo Rasa posted:

Goof Troop is a very good game (with awesome coop) with lots of keys to find and areas broken up into single screen puzzle rooms that was directed by Shinji Mikami the same year he and Capcom began working on Resident Evil so it's hard to imagine that it didn't have some slight influence on the latter.

I know what Goof Troop is (it rules) and I'm not necessarily doubting that it had an influence, I just have doubts over how much. There's a difference between "some gameplay elements from Goof Troop inspired some elements in RE" and "Goof Troop was the precursor to Resident Evil"

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is goof troop for ps1 or what

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sweet Home is brilliant and like Earthbound it has a bunch of "why aren't people copying this???" design choices. Strangely the only other RPG I can think of that feels even remotely similar to Sweet Home is Tokyo Twilight Busters on PC98, which copies almost every gameplay conceit (limited inventory and resources, split party up to do things simultaneously, survival horror theme) and was made by Wolf Team before they turned into the Tales developers.

cosmicjim posted:

It's unplayable for me because of how much I hate the music:(

You're insane. Who the gently caress dislikes Junko Tamiya?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is goof troop for ps1 or what

SNES. Play it with a friend. It's real good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, the engine claim is absurd at best.

Definitely. While Resident Evil 1's source code is not publicly available so we can't know for sure IIRC it runs on a very early version of the Quake 1 engine. People have speculated but I think that makes the most sense because of some shared file format names and some other observed things in the game. The timeline would also match since while both Resident Evil 1 and Quake 1 were released within a year of each other the engine itself had of course already been in development for a while and would have already been getting worked on/available to other devs. A slightly more modern instance of that is the Source engine, the first released game on the Source engine is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

But yeah it's crazy for me that someone would claim that Goof Troop shares any code with Resident Evil just based on Goof Troop's (pretty strong imo) structural similarities. Looking back at the article where Tim Rogers brings this up I'm surprised no one followed up on it at the time.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Definitely. While Resident Evil 1's source code is not publicly available so we can't know for sure IIRC it runs on a very early version of the Quake 1 engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfmFdaBdyk

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Actually, if you squint at the ISO with a microscope very carefully I think you'll find that Resident Evil 1, and indeed every Capcom game from the last 21 years, has been built with a variant of Lithtech.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there any real interest in rgb on the 2600? The only consoles I have left are the atari stuff, and I was considering doing the video mod since rf is kind of a pain in the dick. Composite is cheap and easily available for both the 2600s and 7800 i have, but viletim also has an rgb kit for the 2600 now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

moron izzard posted:

Is there any real interest in rgb on the 2600? The only consoles I have left are the atari stuff, and I was considering doing the video mod since rf is kind of a pain in the dick. Composite is cheap and easily available for both the 2600s and 7800 i have, but viletim also has an rgb kit for the 2600 now.

The RGB mod for the Atari 2600 essentially involves replacing the video hardware entirely, while the composite mod is a lot less invasive. And frankly, the 2600 just doesn't put out a good picture regardless, so RGB modding it feels a bit pointless if you're just looking for better video.

However, the 2600RGB kit does some really interesting stuff - it can allow you to have things like modifying a controller with an extra button, so that you can toggle the Reset and Select switches that are on the console itself from your controller, as well as implementing a pause function the system wouldn't normally have which also gets activated by the controller with the extra button. It also lets PAL games run on an NTSC console assuming your display scaler or whatever can handle 50 hz signals.

So if you're interested in any of that other stuff, I'd say it's well worth a buy. The Reset and Select switches being controllable at the controller is particularly nice in a modern setup where you're not going to sit particularly close to the console.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Actually, if you squint at the ISO with a microscope very carefully I think you'll find that Resident Evil 1, and indeed every Capcom game from the last 21 years, has been built with a variant of Lithtech.

Taking survival-horror to the extreme

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

al-azad posted:

Sweet Home is brilliant and like Earthbound it has a bunch of "why aren't people copying this???" design choices. Strangely the only other RPG I can think of that feels even remotely similar to Sweet Home is Tokyo Twilight Busters on PC98, which copies almost every gameplay conceit (limited inventory and resources, split party up to do things simultaneously, survival horror theme) and was made by Wolf Team before they turned into the Tales developers.

You're insane. Who the gently caress dislikes Junko Tamiya?

It's not all the music, I just remember one particular song that played a lot that was uncomfortable to my eyes.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cosmicjim posted:

It's not all the music, I just remember one particular song that played a lot that was uncomfortable to my eyes.

Ears? Or is it newfangled visual music? (I kid.)

The NES, like the Genesis, has both really high and really low points to its sound.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Prism posted:

The NES, like the Genesis, has both really high and really low points to its sound.

To different degrees​ too. I feel like it's way easier to get something that sounds like poo poo (or squeaky farts, in this case) on the Genesis than on the NES. The trade-off is that the Genesis can really make some mind blowing stuff, but it takes effort.

This is of course based on my experience listening to hundreds of tracks for either system. I have no composing/programming experience with them so I could be very wrong and probably am :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

To different degrees​ too. I feel like it's way easier to get something that sounds like poo poo (or squeaky farts, in this case) on the Genesis than on the NES. The trade-off is that the Genesis can really make some mind blowing stuff, but it takes effort.

This is of course based on my experience listening to hundreds of tracks for either system. I have no composing/programming experience with them so I could be very wrong and probably am :v:

I would say the NES was similar to early computers so everyone designing music for it knew what they were getting into. It's pretty telling that the best Genesis tracks use the sample channel for percussion while the absolute worst ones use it for strings.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

al-azad posted:

...the absolute worst [Genesis tracks] use [the sample channel] for strings.
Okay, now you have me curious; this doesn't quite bring any games to mind. (Though admittedly, I tend to seek out good examples of Genesis music, since it's not too difficult to find bad examples of it.)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
got my xbox stuff in to mod it, now to find a version of xplorer 360 which is stupid hard to track down im learnig

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Maybe I should finally mod mine so I can follow along.

Kramdar fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 5, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

Okay, now you have me curious; this doesn't quite bring any games to mind. (Though admittedly, I tend to seek out good examples of Genesis music, since it's not too difficult to find bad examples of it.)

I'll need to dredge up my "bad music" folder after work but the first thing that came to mind is Zombies Ate My Neighbors but I take pity on whoever had to port that lavishly composed and beautifully sampled soundtrack to the Genesis' FM synth.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stupid xbox keeps deleting the files on my SD card lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Is that the one that eventually inspired Resident Evil?

Yeah, and its real obvious. Things like item management that I always thought were invented around the time of RE were actually done years and years, loving decades earlier in Sweet Home. You're carrying tonics and keys and weapons and trying to decide which to leave behind to free up space.

You have a party to manage, if party members die THEY ARE PERMANENTLY DEAD, like holy poo poo, on FAMICOM?!?

You have to divide your team into groups of 3 and 2, and each person has their own inventory. Its crazy detailed for a Famicom game. The art is really really impressive.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only way I can see the Goof Troop source code claim being true is if they used the code as a starting point for a SNES remake of Sweet Home. Would make sense based on them both being top-down 2D games.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can't for the life of me get this micro sd and converter to work with my xbox ugh. this is the worst part

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

You have a party to manage, if party members die THEY ARE PERMANENTLY DEAD, like holy poo poo, on FAMICOM?!?
I dunno that this one is that impressive; there are no less than two Fire Emblem games on Famicom, after all.

The rest, though, yeah, that's pretty involved for the console.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Hog posted:

I dunno that this one is that impressive; there are no less than two Fire Emblem games on Famicom, after all.

The rest, though, yeah, that's pretty involved for the console.

Yeah, that's true, but I dunno.. for some reason that seems more natural to me in a tactical type game. Like, it wouldn't be crazy to have a chess game where your pieces get removed from play, and then remembering which pieces you had for the next game.

But applying that to an RPG seems pretty fundamentally groundbreaking to me. Maybe less technically impressive and more impressive game design on that part.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Everybody should watch the Sweet Home movie on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL800833603CC3B8BC

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr. Dos posted:

Everybody should watch the Sweet Home movie on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL800833603CC3B8BC

Its basically the same story as the game but the game is amazing and the movie is just a meh b-movie horror film, so I'd say hold off and play the game first if you can.

There's English translations for it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Prism posted:

Yes ears. No idea why I typed eyes.

Anyways, here is the particular song that made me stop playing....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em-IFvYspjc

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got it yay thanks again guys

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the transfer speeds over FTP :negative:

any other way to transfer over to the xbox?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did sweet home ever get an English translation ?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did sweet home ever get an English translation ?

Official no, unofficial yeah.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/222/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Empress Brosephine posted:

the transfer speeds over FTP :negative:

any other way to transfer over to the xbox?

Nothing that's faster than the ethernet port, nah. There is an alternate FTP application for the Xbox which will handle transfers a bit faster though, the UnleashX dashboard, which can be run as a regular application from whatever normal dashboard you use. It transfers stuff up to 4 times faster than normal because it makes more efficient use of the network port.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm the one I installed automatically was the UnleashX and I'm using some Qwix program? But I'm going wired to wireless do that might be my problem. It just kind of times out. What FTP do you guys use to transfer games?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Use WinSCP if you're using a Windows machine.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Cindy Shitbird posted:

The only way I can see the Goof Troop source code claim being true is if they used the code as a starting point for a SNES remake of Sweet Home. Would make sense based on them both being top-down 2D games.

There's little to no chance they actually tried to just port the source code of Goof Troop over to the playstation, but there's a few quirks to how the game works that make it pretty clear they used the same techniques for faking 3D on a 2D plane.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

univbee posted:

Use WinSCP if you're using a Windows machine.

Do I need a special program or do I just move the Backup folder / ISO over?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tendales posted:

There's little to no chance they actually tried to just port the source code of Goof Troop over to the playstation, but there's a few quirks to how the game works that make it pretty clear they used the same techniques for faking 3D on a 2D plane.

The backgrounds are static images but Resident Evil's objects still exist in full 3D space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tendales posted:

What fake 3D does Goof Troop have? I only played a little of it and don't remember anything. (Not that I'm doubting you)

Mak0rz posted:

The backgrounds are static images but Resident Evil's objects still exist in full 3D space.

Yeah, Resident Evil is done the same way Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are. Pre-rendered flat backgrounds (made in 3D using movie technology and then rendered to 2D textures) with simple polygonal characters rendered on top, placed in the scene where they should be based on the camera position in the pre-rendered background.

• Locked thread