Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Ignoranus posted:

I came across this thing called a Drain Hero, which is apparently an actual Shop-Vac branded product that basically seals over the drain and you can use the shop-vac to suck your drains clean. Reviews are overall pretty positive, although some of them mention that it stinks up the room a bit (no big surprise there). I just can't help but wonder if that's bad for your pipes? I suppose the pipes should be pretty resilient under negative pressure, but... this feels like one of those things where yes, you CAN do this, but you really shouldn't.

Granted, ABS isn't rated for pressure (hence it isn't code-compliant to use on the supply side in plumbing) but the negative pressure will get concentrated on the clog and not the wall of the pipe. The vent stack after the trap will usually allow air to flow in behind it even if there's a bigger clog further down the line. The amount of suction a shop-vac can pull isn't going to do poo poo to rigid ABS. It might cause problems with severely rotted clay or cast iron, but in that case you've got way bigger problems.

I've done it numerous times as a plumber.

And yes it does draw sewer gas through, which is less than pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, then you throw away your shop vac when you're done, or...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LonsomeSon posted:

I'm not a plumber but based on my understanding of mechanical stresses and poo poo you would need to be applying approximately 1-2 metric fucktonnes of suction to the inner walls of most pipes in order to actually somehow collapse them.

Also I'm not an engineer or physicist but wouldn't the internal suction load required to crumple a pipe be roughly equivalent to the crush forces required to do the same from the outside? With the added advantage that the suction force is being applied uniformly along the inner surface instead of just in one dimension as in the case of 400+ pounds of concrete and a stolen motorcycle being dropped onto the pipe.

It's impossible to use a vacuum to make a pressure differential bigger than one atmosphere unless the whole shebang is in a pressure chamber. Given that these pipes can function as a potato gun barrel, even if they shouldn't, I suspect it's ok.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leperflesh posted:

So, then you throw away your shop vac when you're done, or...
You return it to Home Depot, where you rented it.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Several years of washed off ejaculate can build up into a krusty mess inside your pipes. I'm sure this shop vac can clean that stuff right up.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I bought a house 2 years ago and the main shower recently clogged. It had this horrible tan caked "substance" that came up in big sidewall of pipe shaped chunks I can only assume was stage makeup residue because the dude I bought it from is the lead in a goth rock/industrial/metal band.

At least i'm reassuring myself that's what it was :cry:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Wouldn't it mostly just suck from the overflow in the tub/sink?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

Wouldn't it mostly just suck from the overflow in the tub/sink?

It would mostly just suck.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They should make it so it cuts up the drain hair while it sucks

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I wouldn't but the tool with plans to clear clogs with it, but I've had to use shop-vacs before to get the water out of a line so it didn't all pour out when I took apart the trap or took a water closet off the wall to snake the line. The pipes will be fine in any case. You can also use a tool that's like a bike pump to flush the line with a burst of high pressure air to try to clear clogs. My boss loves it because it's nice if it works since it's a lot cleaner than using a snake, but I personally worry about blowing a no-hub apart.

e: the air thing is called a kinetic water ram

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Came home from the bar on a Friday night and noticed a puddle on my kitchen floor. Follow the trail of water and its coming from under the sink, look underneath and run the water for a second and water just pours out of the pea trap. Cleaned up the mess, left a note to future me to not use the sink and went to bed. Got up in the morning and went to start dismantling the plumbing to find the leak.....

Well theres your problem. Barely put any pressure trying to loosen the fitting and the entire thing spun. The entire bottom of the chrome piece that goes to the wall crumbled as soon as I touched it. Appears that there is not enough of an angle so water pooled in the pipe. Put it all back together with a $6 kit of plastic pipes from the hardware store, which should be ok for the next couple years till we start remodeling our kitchen.

We are getting close to putting drywall up in our upstairs remodel(totally gutted the 2 bedrooms to create a master suite) and thankfully the worst thing we found was the original knob and tube wiring along with a couple small roof leaks where they didn't do the flashing properly around the chimney(new roof ~1.5 years ago, should be getting fixed under warranty). Wiring was in really good shape, so it wasn't an immediate fire risk. Even though the house is very sturdy an in good shape, the way it was built is kinda scary. 2x4's at ~24" for the roof with a 1x4 for the roof beam. Its also kind of funny to see the spots in the framing where they pieced together a support stud from all the off cuts, but that was standard in the 1930's when this place was built. Limited what we could do upstairs without having to bring in an engineered beam to reinforce the roof, but they still let us move a couple walls around.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/7KZcuus.gifv

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That was a freakishly casual-yet-effective fus ro dah from that guy, well done.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Practically the exact same thing happened to me, except like an idiot I replaced it with a metal pipe instead of a plastic one, so it's probably just going to rot out again in another decade or two. Oh well.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ignoranus posted:

I came across this thing called a Drain Hero, which is apparently an actual Shop-Vac branded product that basically seals over the drain and you can use the shop-vac to suck your drains clean. Reviews are overall pretty positive, although some of them mention that it stinks up the room a bit (no big surprise there). I just can't help but wonder if that's bad for your pipes? I suppose the pipes should be pretty resilient under negative pressure, but... this feels like one of those things where yes, you CAN do this, but you really shouldn't.

quote:

The item is Shop-Vac 9193400 Drain Hero
Used for Power Tool Accessories, Misc. Power Tool Accessories
The product is manufactured in China
Use with 1-1/4, 1-1/2 and 2-1/2-Inch hose ends
Use to unclog sinks, showers, and tubs
Retrieves valuables lost in a drain
Not recommended for use on toilets

Lmao.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

slurry_curry posted:

Came home from the bar on a Friday night and noticed a puddle on my kitchen floor. Follow the trail of water and its coming from under the sink, look underneath and run the water for a second and water just pours out of the pea trap. Cleaned up the mess, left a note to future me to not use the sink and went to bed. Got up in the morning and went to start dismantling the plumbing to find the leak.....

Well theres your problem. Barely put any pressure trying to loosen the fitting and the entire thing spun. The entire bottom of the chrome piece that goes to the wall crumbled as soon as I touched it. Appears that there is not enough of an angle so water pooled in the pipe. Put it all back together with a $6 kit of plastic pipes from the hardware store, which should be ok for the next couple years till we start remodeling our kitchen.

The best you can often get at big-box is tissue-thin crap.

This is why I go to plumbing supply houses to get solid-brass, chromed traps. I have three hanging out on my workbench.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

xwing posted:

At the end of the day there some clients that still want crap... and they pay the bills. Even

[quote="xwing" post="470989918"]
At the end of the day there some clients that still want crap... and they pay the bills. Even so I would dispute the claim "often". 99% of people now don't live in home designed by an architect. Heck, even on the commercial side people don't have the budget to match their wants and you end up with metal buildings, with stamped plans from an engineer.

Disclaimer: I am an Architect.

Hey man, what's wrong with metal buildings? Just because Cletus back on the farm uses that sweet galvanized "tin" to re-side his barn, and roof, and camper doesn't mean that there aren't nice options out there. (Disclaimer: people with no budget and or no taste will choose the option that looks lousy. I'm looking at you furniture row!)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This week's mcmansion hell has incredible ceiling geometry going on

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Synthbuttrange posted:

That room looks like it was designed for minimal radar signature.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Window seats are generally uncomfortable but bay windows are cool ⁊ good.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want bay windows, but instead of a standard window bed/seat, I want a captain's-style chair and holographic crosshairs for imaginary tower-defense games.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

morethanjake32 posted:

Hey man, what's wrong with metal buildings? Just because Cletus back on the farm uses that sweet galvanized "tin" to re-side his barn, and roof, and camper doesn't mean that there aren't nice options out there. (Disclaimer: people with no budget and or no taste will choose the option that looks lousy. I'm looking at you furniture row!)

Steel wall and roof pole-barns are still excellent buildings if you're far enough out of town to tolerate the eyesore and want a fuckoff big garage to work in.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I want bay windows, but instead of a standard window bed/seat, I want a captain's-style chair and holographic crosshairs for imaginary tower-defense games.

I hope you filed a patent.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

That's a couch podium if I ever saw one.

I was thinking Cat Lurking Spot, myself.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Not going to post the shower pick where they had to tile some of those weird slopes?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Window seats suck because they're a plank of hard wood that someone put a one-inch-thick slab of "cushion" on. No back, no give, terrible. I bet if you approached the window seat as if you were building a daybed or couch, with a tiny mattress, thick cushioned sides you could put your back against, etc. it'd become an actually nice place to sit.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

cats like them though

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Window seats suck because they're a plank of hard wood that someone put a one-inch-thick slab of "cushion" on. No back, no give, terrible. I bet if you approached the window seat as if you were building a daybed or couch, with a tiny mattress, thick cushioned sides you could put your back against, etc. it'd become an actually nice place to sit.

Today's McMansion has something kind of like that:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd also love to have something like that, but the paranoid in me would be worried about letting kids play around up at the level of a window. I know a modern window should be able to put up with the amount of force a small child would be able to generate, but like I said, paranoid.

This is definitely better than the guy that built a little castle or something with a parapet his kids could run along that lead right up to a window, though. At least with this there's no room to get a running start.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder if you can get house windows made of safety glass.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder if you can get house windows made of safety glass.

People use laminated windows for burglar protection.

Protip: if you want to burgle a house like that, kick in the double front door instead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That should work, yeah, I was thinking you could probably just apply some kind of film to normal window glass and the kid might break it but probably won't get a severe cut.

Just make sure the window can open easily, for fire escape purposes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Platystemon posted:

People use laminated windows for burglar protection.

Protip: if you want to burgle a house like that, kick in the double front door instead.

The bad part of that is if you need to break the window to get out :(

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

brugroffil posted:

The bad part of that is if you need to break the window to get out :(
That's why you have one of these hanging from a chain next to every window
https://www.amazon.com/Towallmark-Seatbelt-Cutter-Breaker-Emergency/dp/B002AMAXNA

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Laminated glass isn't easy to destroy though. Even once it's shattered, it is still glued together with a plastic sheet between layers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah laminated safety glass is specifically designed to prevent a person from going through the glass. It's used in the windshield of your car so you can't be thrown through it even if your seatbelt isn't on, and it also helps prevent something kicked up by a car ahead of you from penetrating the passenger compartment. You can shatter it with one of those tools, but you'll need to kick the entire pane of glass out of the seal to escape.

Regular safety glass (aka "tempered glass") just breaks into cubes, which are less likely to cut you. But, it's harder to break than normal glass. You can use that tool to shatter a side window in your car and then escape easily.

Which is why I said if you added film to a window in a home, you should make sure the window opens easily: it will not be as easy to escape just by breaking the glass.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 6, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Obviously what you should do is ring the window with explosive bolts so that in an emergency you can blow the whole thing clear of the frame. Ideally, arrange it so that this also triggers one of those inflating slides at the same time.

Maybe you could use one of those big pull-away rubber seals they use on bus windows? Those seem pretty decent.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ashcans posted:

Obviously what you should do is ring the window with explosive bolts so that in an emergency you can blow the whole thing clear of the frame. Ideally, arrange it so that this also triggers one of those inflating slides at the same time.

Maybe you could use one of those big pull-away rubber seals they use on bus windows? Those seem pretty decent.

Only if the explosive bolts are fired in sequence, so it goes bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-plop!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And then train your toddler not to set it off unless it's an emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Leperflesh posted:

And then train your toddler not to set it off unless it's an emergency.

"Okay dear today...". *sees button slaps it*

*BANG*

(One week later to repair window)

"Okay now that the wins--"

*slaps button, giggles*

*BANG*

Etc etc