Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I realized why my cursed genie was beeping so ridiculously aggressively yesterday. There were TWO of them. One penned in safely and it was only beeping when they drove it back and forth in the penned area. But a 2nd bigger genie was on the site and it was driving all around the building and on the mildly busy street in front of it (with no flag people, just a worker who kinda kept a lookout) and due to the shape of the building they were working on and landscaping around it they had to make these big stupid U shaped paths to go around the building, so lots and lots of beeping because lots and lots of driving around areas with lots of pedestrians and vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Humphreys posted:

Granted they did that for a reason to maybe curtail those problem drinkers who would sit in their rooms drinking alone by providing only one place to drink and no takeaways.

The civil engineering firm I used to work at had that as a safety policy for our Christmas party. We had bus service to a hot springs resort a good 2 hours from home and 30 miles from the nearest town, so when everyone inevitably got shitwrecked at the open bar, they wouldn't try to drive home afterward.

For bonus OSHA, there was at least one massive head injury when one of our surveyors tripped over a 3" step in the bar and put a 6" gash in the side of his head. Another year, one of the owners got wasted on the bus trip down, jumped in the pool, and killed his Blackberry. No, Dave, I can't get you a new Blackberry by tomorrow. We're in a canyon, with no cell service, nor internet, on a Friday night, it's 20 below, and I'm not driving my car back to loving civilization because you thought doing Crown shots while the bus was slowed down to detour around two semis that blew over and caught on fire in the middle of I-90 was a good idea. (I never rode the bus. Getting drunk in a confined space with rich white people my parents' age? Ugh.)

The best year was when my platonic +1 got sexually harassed by my co-workers ("you should gently caress her, because we're married and we can't, and then you should tell us about it!"), got blisteringly drunk to try and deal with it, went back to our room, and strategically barfed on every object that wasn't the sink and/or my stuff. I think it was over $10k in damages, though I don't know if that was the bill for the entire party's damages or just my room.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

zegermans posted:

yeah that plane's toast

They should just lower the tarmac

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

Raise the road over the aircraft parking space.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Checks out.

Better than the alternative:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

has this thread been mentioned here?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Solid studs and I beams are for wusses

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This is a pro click

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
I'm going to miss the CSB, we'll have to wait years until Democrats are back for them to start making videos again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:eyepop:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

How many channels does that get you?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ChesterJT posted:

How many channels does that get you?

a shocking variety?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s 110 V on a Schuko plug, which means it’s probably high impedance, leaking through filter capacitors.

In layman’s terms, it will tingle, but if you’re lucky, not stop your heart.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

That's too good, are we sure someone didn't just find some construction nightmares photos and is subtly trolling the thread? Because that is amazingly terrible.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

looks like the neighbours plugged in their segakiller

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's too good, are we sure someone didn't just find some construction nightmares photos and is subtly trolling the thread? Because that is amazingly terrible.

It's not the OP's first trainwreck in progress post. He had some fun and exciting ideas in the electrical thread during the bedroom remodel.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Im the hair and q-tip underneath the power strip. Gross.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I recently realized my DIY confidence is way too high. My whole family are contractors, so I just assumed everything was easy because they made it look easy.

TIL.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

if i ever own a house, i bet that the single most important thing in preventing me from destroying it will be the time i spent reading here and elsewhere online about the ways people can screw up DIY projects, and about all the horrible ways people can get hurt when they don't have safety precautions set up correctly

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm only on page two and I can't wait to see where this thread goes... I've seriously got butterflies in my stomach and have been nervously giggling like crazy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But did he finish his text?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if i ever own a house, i bet that the single most important thing in preventing me from destroying it will be the time i spent reading here and elsewhere online about the ways people can screw up DIY projects, and about all the horrible ways people can get hurt when they don't have safety precautions set up correctly

I don’t know much about construction, but at least I know when I don’t know something and need to involve someone who does.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I'm only on page two and I can't wait to see where this thread goes... I've seriously got butterflies in my stomach and have been nervously giggling like crazy.

It's worth it- I'm really hoping the OP doesn't wuss out and quit the thread.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

MausoleumExtremist posted:

It's worth it- I'm really hoping the OP doesn't wuss out and quit the thread.

He posted a reply to me 2 hours ago so hes still there, for now.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I hope he finishes it too but he was getting unfairly dogpiled on at times. He didn't realize what he had done but I thought he seemed receptive to their criticism even when it was pretty harsh. He just took a "well I hosed it but it can probably be fixed!" attitude and it just seemed to make them go more crazy.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

satanic splash-back posted:

my favorite thing in the world is to discuss the exact same topic with the exact same posters every day

heaven is a place where nothing ever happens

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

And some times people cock that up and things (eventually) go very bad.

This is absolute insanity.

What the gently caress?? The inner row of rivets and the splice plate literally add nothing to the rest of the repair job. They weren't even connected.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sammus posted:

This is absolute insanity.

What the gently caress?? The inner row of rivets and the splice plate literally add nothing to the rest of the repair job. They weren't even connected.

The splice must flow.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

gnarlyhotep posted:

heaven is a place where nothing ever happens

Quoting from page 1. Are you drunk?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

JB50 posted:

Quoting from page 1. Are you drunk?

Yes, are you?

If so, do you want to post somewhere more private?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ChesterJT posted:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Its like a baby scissor lift.

Bonus: no beeping.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

I'm just impressed by the sort of engineering that had to go into those lifts. How far underground do you think they go? Where are all the hydraulic pumps and stuff?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Sagebrush posted:

I'm just impressed by the sort of engineering that had to go into those lifts. How far underground do you think they go? Where are all the hydraulic pumps and stuff?

Classified. Ask Trump. On Twitter.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

With that music and the air of confused ambivalence it almost felt like a Trigger Happy TV prank.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

ChesterJT posted:

I hope he finishes it too but he was getting unfairly dogpiled on at times. He didn't realize what he had done but I thought he seemed receptive to their criticism even when it was pretty harsh. He just took a "well I hosed it but it can probably be fixed!" attitude and it just seemed to make them go more crazy.

Goons are the worst.

JB50 posted:

Its like a baby scissor lift.

Bonus: no beeping.

Manual Beeping, like I do when reversing on my bicycle.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

Goons are the worst.

Sometimes knowing youre not smart enough to do something is really smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Collateral Damage posted:

And some times people cock that up and things (eventually) go very bad.

IMO the Japanese response was even worse than the god-awful retarded repair job. The US base at Yokota had the plane on radar, had a helicopter at the crash site within 20 minutes, and rescue teams ready to deploy... and then someone in the Japanese government told them to stand down. The Japanese responders didn't even try to reach the site until the next day, they spent the first night pitching tents in a village 60 km away. Meanwhile a whole bunch of people who survived the initial crash are bleeding and/or freezing to death, with only four survivors by the time Japanese rescuers actually arrived.