Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Anyone know the chillest shop in Austin, TX? A buddy is interested in getting into drafting.

Mages sanctum is chill and good, theyre south austin.
mothership is pretty good, slower than sanctum and pats but theyre north austin, they have a somewhat thriving legacy scene.
pats games has the highest singles selection and basically every format fires there, the playerbase is pretty spikey though if thats a concern.
I havent been to nerdstock but ive heard its pretty slow there.
Dragons lair is chill but mostly casuals and they dont sell singles. (like me).
Ressurected games has an okay singles selection but their events dont always fire, and when they do everyone plays in the food court. theyre more of a yugioh shop anyway.

Stores in austin open and close really reallly frequently. Whose Turn on south lamar was my favorite :( id say i frequent pats and dlair most often, pats has a knowledgable and communicable staff so id stay start there if youre close to it.

For draft id say those are the two most laid back places for draft, and you can bring alcohol to pats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I'm gonna say this isn't nearly as good as it sounds... It's very slow. I don't think you're gonna be able to use this to cast spells you couldn't already cast with the mana you already have very often. The game would have to go VERY long. You can't cast a 2 drop off of it until T6....

Turn 5, actually.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So the turn you play As Foretold you can slam a restore balance or something right?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

that explains the nerf to fuse cards

also that seems insane in storm decks since it doesn't die to removal like baral or electromancer. maybe turn 5 is too slow though

edit: oh it's once each turn. card is garbo unless you're casting suspend spells off of it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Turn 5, actually.

Their T5, your T6.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

funnily this card mentions time counters so you can get wonky cross-block synergies with cards like Jhoira's Timebug and Fury Charm

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Their T5, your T6.

Your T5, their T6 as well.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I miss my T1 mana dork. :(

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sure. But an 'indestructible' 4/4 that's going to die for no value to some flyer a lot of the time seems more questionable.
I admit it's a a wonky comparison, but I feel like Gids emulates a creature close enough: If you want to attack, you +0, rumble in and hope they don't fly past your blockers, and if you want to defend you instead +1 to "block" their biggest nasty.

I mean, if you want a real planeswalker probably run the bigger Gideon, but Gideon Gone Native is actually more difficult to kill with a random flyer.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

its me glenda posted:

Austin stuff

Thxxx.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Your T5, their T6 as well.

NM I read it wrong.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I love the story about the cat that this card(s) tells. :3:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

Card is bad though...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BJPaskoff posted:

The cat secretly has a big butt

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Card is bad though...

It's a good cat, Brent.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Are you guys sure that the enchantment works with no-mana cards?

It says that you pay 0 instead of the mana cost as you cast, and you can't cast Visions/Restore Balance/Living End normally. COULD be wrong, but it seems worded in that way.

VV: I am a Judge, it's the kind of thing I'd check the rulings for (or, in this case, wait for the announcement) to be certain. Fist of Suns is precedent, but I don't know if it's the same.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 5, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Serperoth posted:

It says that you pay 0 instead of the mana cost as you cast, and you can't cast Visions/Restore Balance/Living End normally. COULD be wrong, but it seems worded in that way.

Judge!!!!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Thanks for this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Serperoth posted:

VV: I am a Judge, it's the kind of thing I'd check the rulings for (or, in this case, wait for the announcement) to be certain. Fist of Suns is precedent, but I don't know if it's the same.

A judge friend of mine says you can't. :(

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Serperoth posted:

Omniscience also works this way. You don't determine mana cost until the last steps of casting a spell. Also, see this:

117.6a If an unpayable cost is increased by an effect or an additional cost is imposed, the cost is still unpayable. If an alternative cost is applied to an unpayable cost, including an effect that allows a player to cast a spell without paying its mana cost, the alternative cost may be paid.

It could be that you can't but it wouldn't make sense based on the current conventions.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Serperoth posted:

Wouldn't this be the difference between "without paying its mana cost" and "rather than pay its mana cost"?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Serperoth posted:

It kinda looks like you have to be able to cast the spell to pay 0 for it. So Living End et all don't work but Ornithopter does.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

Wouldn't this be the difference between "without paying its mana cost" and "rather than pay its mana cost"?

That seems to be the difference to me, yeah. And the "as you cast", since you have to already be casting it for the payment to apply. Again, could be wrong.

Ultima66 posted:

Omniscience also works this way. You don't determine mana cost until the last steps of casting a spell. Also, see this:

117.6a If an unpayable cost is increased by an effect or an additional cost is imposed, the cost is still unpayable. If an alternative cost is applied to an unpayable cost, including an effect that allows a player to cast a spell without paying its mana cost, the alternative cost may be paid.

It could be that you can't but it wouldn't make sense based on the current conventions.

That's a different thing, the second part is what allows Goblin Dank-Dwellers to cast no-cost spells from your graveyard. Or so it reads to me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Serperoth posted:

That seems to be the difference to me, yeah. And the "as you cast", since you have to already be casting it for the payment to apply. Again, could be wrong.

TIL there's a step between casting and paying for the spell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

A judge friend of mine says you can't. :(

LOL now he says you can.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Where is the ruling that something like fist of suns can't cast cascade cards anyways? The ruling on gatherer says it's just an alternate cost, but I can't see why they went with such a wordy rules text if they're the same unless you can't cast cascade cards or they're really intent on making sure people realize you still have to pay any taxing effects

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

LOL now he says you can.

The internet hivemind does seem to be settling on "yes, it works"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

On a second read, it seems to be like the Fist of Suns wording, no "as you cast"

I may or may not have kind of failed at reading the card, especially on consideration of Fist of Suns. I can wait for an announcement to be certain, seems like the exact kind of thing they'd explain

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Insult to injury feels like it might find a deck, especially since it isn't limited to red spells and creatures. Rags to riches and cut to ribbons feel like limited uncommons to me, seems weird to make them rare.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

As far as limited goes, I think these split cards are going to play a lot better than they look. Getting back an overcosted card is still added value.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Rigel posted:

As far as limited goes, I think these split cards are going to play a lot better than they look. Getting back an overcosted card is still added value.

Obviously this is just a huge oversimplification, but on average I like to ask myself how the card would look if I replaced the aftermath with "draw a card."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

clamiam45 posted:

Obviously this is just a huge oversimplification, but on average I like to ask myself how the card would look if I replaced the aftermath with "draw a card."

Draw "this specific card."

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

PJOmega posted:

Draw "this specific card."

At this point just evaluate the card as written. :confused:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Rags to riches is one of the clunkier ones. If the halves were only 1 mana off you could sweep small stuff and have a much higher chance of getting gas from your opponent next turn. 3 mana is a lot turns though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That enchantment is not garbo at all. It's aether vial that can do 'or less', hits all spell types, and works twice per untap all for the cost of 1u extra???

e: It lets you tap out and keep up counterspells! This card could singlehandedly bring back control possibly.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rigel posted:

yea anything that gives you something to do on the turn when you topdeck land #8 is going to be solid in limited

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That enchantment is not garbo at all. It's aether vial that can do 'or less', hits all spell types, and works twice per untap all for the cost of 1u extra???

thats a really good explanation for why its bad

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

twice per untap
The sky is the limit in EDH!

... not that I play it.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

ShaneB posted:

Anyone know the chillest shop in Austin, TX? A buddy is interested in getting into drafting.

Wonkos (up north) is probably about the most new player friendly (as designed by the owner), so I'd start there. Owner has a story where some gut went to all the shops in austin, and only at wonkos did people explain things and be helpful (ended up being a comic on mtg page).

My favorite is card traders (north) tonight (I'll be there), which is chill but competitive. Everyone wins a prize, but first place is where you always hope to end up. Also, best prize support for prerelease.

Pats is good too, but I'd head to wonkos first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does anybody know how the translated names for these split cards are working? Do they get translated into roughly-equivalent phrases in the target languages, or do they just translate the English words and hope it works out?

• Locked thread