Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
This Gideon seems. . . bad, I don't even know what kind of a deck wants him. The emblem seems useless in Standard, becoming a 4/4 is fine but who cares, and the +1 doesn't build to anything, making me figure it goes in a deck playing sweepers, which make him fairly useless against Mardu. People buying this for 50 are going to get burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rinkles posted:

English Dusk (to) Dawn

Plus Bradley's art

So many pixels smashed into like 2 total square inches

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Die on turn 4?

it's cool, we have Gideon emblem

In all seriousness as Sickening mentioned at some point, I feel like Gideon could maybe be a thing in modern Ad Nauseam if you want more Phyrexian Unlifes.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Marketing New Brain posted:

This Gideon seems. . . bad, I don't even know what kind of a deck wants him. The emblem seems useless in Standard, becoming a 4/4 is fine but who cares, and the +1 doesn't build to anything, making me figure it goes in a deck playing sweepers, which make him fairly useless against Mardu. People buying this for 50 are going to get burned.

Any control deck in Standard that plays White wants him. If you can take a single turn off to use him emblam with back up you probably got the game between your torrential gearhulk support, and the fact that if they ruinous path it you can drop Daddy Gideon the next turn.

Edit: I'm doubling down that this card is bonkers, and gently caress wizards for seeing Daddy Gideon be such a menace in Standard and emulate it again to sell packs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

In all seriousness as Sickening mentioned at some point, I feel like Gideon could maybe be a thing in modern Ad Nauseam if you want more Phyrexian Unlifes.

The mirrors will be fun

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Walked posted:

UW control is going to be a thing in Modern, mark my words.

T1 Ancestral Vision
T2 ???
T3 Gideon + Pact of Negation Backup

Aside from the fact that UW control in Modern is already kind of a thing, I don't see how Gideon would be an auto include. He'd probably replace Jace, Architect of Thought, but usually those decks prefer Narset or Elspeth in their PW slots. New Gideon would probably be more in line for the crazy people who play UW Turbo Fog.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Serperoth posted:

Looks to have been deleted, got a pic or the text?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If we see lightning strike, heroes downfall, and the rest , this card is still good. Heart of kiran into baby gideon is powerful. + to protect itself and 0 to attack is pretty great. The other 0 is just an added lategame bonus. The emblem is actually really silly considering the potential for abuse. The 3 cmc walker rule of thumb still applies.

I am less concerned about another busted gideon as I am about so many other cards being limited fodder. We are more than a 1/4th spoiled of the set and only 2 cards are of any real power level in standard. The best removal so far is 4 cmc. Nothing but stormbreath jr is making me think standard will be fun or good.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

If we see lightning strike, heroes downfall, and the rest , this card is still good. Heart of kiran into baby gideon is powerful. + to protect itself and 0 to attack is pretty great. The other 0 is just an added lategame bonus. The emblem is actually really silly considering the potential for abuse. The 3 cmc walker rule of thumb still applies.

I am less concerned about another busted gideon as I am about so many other cards being limited fodder. We are more than a 1/4th spoiled of the set and only 2 cards are of any real power level in standard. The best removal so far is 4 cmc. Nothing but stormbreath jr is making me think standard will be fun or good.

They spoiled a bunch of commons and uncommons until now, plus 3 mythics (on a total of 10) and 15 rares (on a total of about 50). We are fine. Also I think there are a lot more constructable cards than just 2.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

They spoiled a bunch of commons and uncommons until now, plus 3 mythics (on a total of 10) and 15 rares (on a total of about 50)

Uncommons were a lot more exciting the last set. Lets hope the card quality across the board gets better this set.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

Uncommons were a lot more exciting the last set. Lets hope the card quality across the board gets better this set.

Almost all Trials and Cartouches are interesting, and a couple of them even constructed level.
All the cycling lands are playable.
Small Gideon is playable (even if I doubt there is currently a deck for him).
The red god is probaly playable.
The dragon is playable.
The guys that put 4 -1/-1 can be playable, with the right deck.
The cycle enchantment can be playable.
The crocodile is probably playable.
The split wrath is playable.
Even the 1 drop with menace that gain +1/+0, if the right deck is found.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 5, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

Almost all Trials and Cartouches are interesting, and a couple of them even constructed level.
All the cycling lands are playable.
Small Gideon is playable.
The red god is probaly playable.
The dragon is playable.
The guys that put 4 -1/-1 can be playable.
The crocodile is probably playable.
The split wrath is playable.

Thanks for listing all the cards you think are "Playable". Lets agree to disagree on most of them.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the red trial is gonna be cool the one time you have enough cartouches to reliably proc it 3-4 times a game

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Elyv posted:

You could get real tricksy and swap your Unlifes for lil' Gids in game 2/3 to dodge enchantment removal and to take advantage of the burn they probably boarded out.

Also does anyone else think that maybe the reason they're spoiling so many Limited cards first is some kind of anti-leak thing? We didn't really have any leaks for Amonkhet like we have in most recent sets. (right?)

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

So, I'm coming back to the game after a long hiatus from ancient times before planeswalkers were a thing. If little Gideon's emblem is out, and little Gideon gets replaced by daddy Gideon on the next turn, does little Gideon's emblem stay in play? I think that's how it works and it seems kind of nutty.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Sickening posted:

Thanks for listing all the cards you think are "Playable". Lets agree to disagree on most of them.

But you can totally Wrangle or Hijack one of your opponent's dudes, hit them with it, then play the green 2-drop and put all the counters on their guy!

It's goyf 5-8, just admit it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ersatz posted:

So, I'm coming back to the game after a long hiatus from ancient times before planeswalkers were a thing. If little Gideon's emblem is out, and little Gideon gets replaced by daddy Gideon on the next turn, does little Gideon's emblem stay in play? I think that's how it works and it seems kind of nutty.

emblems stick around forever

well until the next game anyway

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

emblems stick around forever

well until the next game anyway
Gotcha - thanks.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Ersatz posted:

Once an "Emblem" is on the board, there is no way to remove it until the end of the game.

e.f.b.

Edit2: How long until they do print something that can interact with an emblem?

3BB Sorcery Destroy target emblem too good/terrible?

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 5, 2017

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ersatz posted:

Yep. It says "A Gideon," and as far as i know the only way to remove an emblem is to restart the game with a Karn ultimate.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nobody is allowed to post pictures of small Gideon in this thread anymore

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 5, 2017

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Elyv posted:

:bang: but of course!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think Gideon would be pretty interesting in Modern Ad Nauseum and I'm curious if the ability to stall the board would be relevant

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ersatz posted:

Gotcha - thanks.

fwiw MOST of the time emblems are either

1) Ultimate abilities that take several turns to get too, justifying their powerful effects (like Lilliana the Last Hope's emblem)

2)Powerful but fair effects that are okay to have around permanently (Sorin from Original Innistrad had one like this)

New Gideon's emblem is the first emblem which feels like an ultimate ability that can be done first turn

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ersatz posted:

Emblems are game objects that exist independent of their creator. So yeah, the emblem exists. Currently there is actually no way to get rid of an emblem once it is created.

Which makes sense because until now they've been Planeswalker ultimates that take a lot of effort and protection to trigger.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm going to play 8 Gideons and 56 plains and make SO MANY Gideon emblems.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/MelissaDeTora/status/849700638720106496

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PJOmega posted:

Emblems are game objects that exist independent of their creator. So yeah, the emblem exists. Currently there is actually no way to get rid of an emblem once it is created.

Which makes sense because until now they've been Planeswalker ultimates that take a lot of effort and protection to trigger.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

power creep!!

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 5, 2017

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

That seems...good.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hello, graveyard hate! Will people now stop to complain? Pretty sure they will not!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Alright, I didn't expect graveyard hate that good in this set. That's potentially maindeckable in limited since it cycles for one mana and triggers cycling-matters cards even if your opponent isn't playing embalm dudes.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Good thing they printed this two sets after the first graveyard set that got a card banned for being too powerful. I'm satisfied, WotC knows what it's doing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

But you have to play two cards to nuke the opponent's graveyard, that sounds like effort.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

Hello, graveyard hate! Will people now stop to complain? Pretty sure they will not!

it doesn't completely hose graveyards, so those decks can exist, but it does enough to keep them in check if a card is too powerful, it's got utility if you don't need it right that minute, idk seems pretty much like the fairest graveyard hate you can make

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Seems medium, but I am also probably underestimating the cycle. As long as there are some limited option in white or green then thing should feel more balanced.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

power creep!!

am i seeing this right, was Rapid Decay really a rare, what the heck

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Siivola posted:

But you have to play two cards to nuke the opponent's graveyard, that sounds like effort.

Yeah but you're likely to shut delirium down for a couple turns for 1 mana at instant speed even if you don't sack a cat statue. Sniping specific cards maximizes the potential value. You can even get rid of scrapheap in response to them activating scrapheap, which seems good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So glad I tossed together UR Zombies.

• Locked thread