Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Kashuno posted:

okay look this isn't 2010. This is not the case anymore. There are protections in place these days.

sidenote; is gloomhaven good with 2 players?

Haven't played with 2 but seems like it'd be fine. Faster than 4 which would be nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Kashuno posted:

okay look this isn't 2010. This is not the case anymore. There are protections in place these days.

sidenote; is gloomhaven good with 2 players?

The game scales for two players, you just need to be more discerning when you pick your characters. If you go with a support and a sneaky positional-based character, you might have some issues putting enough damage out to survive.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The "sequel" to Vast has a BGG page, but no real mechanical details yet: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/224692/deep-enemy-frontier

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

The "sequel" to Vast has a BGG page, but no real mechanical details yet: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/224692/deep-enemy-frontier

But it already has a 9.0 rating so we know it'll be good! :v:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

GrandpaPants posted:

I'd be lying if I didn't say this sounded kind of cool, especially if they polish Vast's system. Wonder if they'll kickstart this one too...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

It's scattered throughout the design thread. There's also a design thread for what appears to be a sequel/spinoff of Vast called The Mysterious Manor.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Consumer protections are vital for people trying to obtain food, shelter, healthcare, childcare, transportation, etc. But we're talking about disposable income spent on entertainment. If people want to throw their money at speculation, who cares? I'm fine with laughing at Star Citizen and Bitcoin rubes. If this Gloomhaven Kickstarter somehow falls through and Isaac runs off with my cash, I knew that was a possibility. Considering his past actions, I deemed the risk small enough to accept.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CaptainRightful posted:

Consumer protections are vital for people trying to obtain food, shelter, healthcare, childcare, transportation, etc. But we're talking about disposable income spent on entertainment. If people want to throw their money at speculation, who cares? I'm fine with laughing at Star Citizen and Bitcoin rubes. If this Gloomhaven Kickstarter somehow falls through and Isaac runs off with my cash, I knew that was a possibility. Considering his past actions, I deemed the risk small enough to accept.

You might, but the US government doesn't, which is the point. And credit card companies in general want you not to run off to another credit card company so they'll cover you anyway. Basically someone selling something has to deliver it, no matter what language they are trying to use. Otherwise it's called a scam. Naturally most publishers/designers aren't trying to scam people, but in the case I mentioned, clearly the guy was a scammer and the FTC prosecuted him as such.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CaptainRightful posted:

Lack of consumer protection decreases consumer confidence in the platform, leading to less investment from consumers, leading to less revenue coming in, leading to less people putting things on the site. It creates a cycle. There was a period where Kickstarter was really bad between when it started and now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

II wasn't able to find much regarding it but one site I found said in no uncertain words that if the amount pledged is similar to he retail value of the reward, then the transaction is a sale and not a donation, and therefore the expection of delivery is present.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kashuno posted:

Lack of consumer protection decreases consumer confidence in the platform, leading to less investment from consumers, leading to less revenue coming in, leading to less people putting things on the site. It creates a cycle. There was a period where Kickstarter was really bad between when it started and now.

Right!! But after the FTC case, it's really cleaned up its act. Originally I thought it was awful and wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole but that case provided clarity.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lorini posted:

Right!! But after the FTC case, it's really cleaned up its act. Originally I thought it was awful and wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole but that case provided clarity.

Yeah coming back to Kickstarter after feeling really uneasy about it in the past is weird. I'm still hesitant to back things, even though I've had decent results.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
As someone who has backed only a few board games and had them all delivered with no issues (yet) I am pretty happy with how people are using it this way so far.

But as someone who back in 2011/2012 fell into the kickstarter trap and backed a bunch of cool looking computer games... never again. Maybe one or two of them have actually come out and they were okay at best. The rest either have gone either tits up or in development hell where you're lucky to see an update once a year. There were one or two outright lies in the bunch too. Early access/kickstartered software = never ever for me. Been burned way too often and it was usually my fault for trusting untrustworthy people.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

...Been burned way too often and it was usually my fault for trusting untrustworthy people.

I try not to place all of the blame on the victims in most situations, but this is the approach that I am taking. I have backed like 4 total projects, and two of those I'll end up selling my pledge when the survey comes around. 3 of the products were designed by companies (Level 99 Games, Jasco, Stonemaier), and the other was delivered (Hex TCG). I use KS as a storefront because it is unfortunately the only way to get exclusive content. I only buy into games that are produced by companies with good track records already. I don't care enough to read rulebooks, but if there isn't a video of someone playing the game on the page I don't consider it. I'm not giving money to idea guys or people who otherwise haven't produced a prototype that just needs some polish.

Now, this doesn't account for people who legitimately got burned (Mighty No. 9, but even that didn't have a solid prototype in place). I don't even know what I'm trying to say any more. Kickstarter can be good, but it can also be bad. This is my enlightening statement.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I remember hearing Kickstarter described as a tax on nerds once and I kinda liked that description. That was pre-Patreon though, and Patreon fits that description even more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sometimes it's apt, but others it's a discount for something that will be much more expensive at retail (Gloomhaven, Scythe, etc). Again, it's all about the context of the individual campaign.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Kinda surprised this dust didn't get kicked up earlier when Millennium Blades and Vast: The Crystal Caverns did reprint Kickstarters. (And KD:M as well, through KD:M is a whole other thing unto itself.)

Kinda a common denominator here: Hyper-ambitious projects from small indie studios that struggle to get their MSRP at the industry-standard 5x landed costs. Which makes sense, since smaller publishers are more prone to bad estimates. And also there's probably just no way to get some of these huge monsters below a $20/unit landed cost, when $99MSRP is sort of the upper limit most consumers will pay for a non-GW board game. (At least, not without some dank plastic titty.)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's probably a lot easier to say to a manufacturer "Make me $2,500,000 worth of board game copies" if you actually have those orders lined up.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

What are people's thoughts on 1960: The Making of the President? I was looking around on BGB and noticed it was up for pre-order so I read some stuff and then noticed that SU&SD re-uploaded a video of their review of it, which seemed pretty positive from everything they talked about.

From my perspective it looks like a US political simulation using a similar system as Twilight Struggle, and it's two players as well so that's a win in my world.

I have both of Campaign Manager 2008 and 1960, both are great.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Texibus posted:

Campaign Manager 2008 in particular is a very good introduction to area control games for people who don't play designer board games. It's my go-to board game date game after Jaipur.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

burger time posted:

Haven't played with 2 but seems like it'd be fine. Faster than 4 which would be nice

I've played some. It is good - it is noticeably faster in play because less player and monster actions to resolve, but it still keeps the tough decisions of the core gameplay.

The downside is yeah, it seems you need to think about your character combo a bit. Though that said most stuff we've tried has worked, I suspect the biggest issue would be if you have two supports it might not work.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm planning to pick up Dominion and maybe an expansion pack. Mostly going to be for 2-player games.

First, should I get regular Dominion or Dominion 2nd Edition? Then, what expansion should I get?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Jive posted:

First, should I get regular Dominion or Dominion 2nd Edition? Then, what expansion should I get?

Get 2nd edition and any expansion except Alchemy for your second one. If you get Intrigue, also get 2nd edition, the only other expansion for which edition matters. My personal favorite expansions are the most recent two, Adventures and Empires. They are all good, including Alchemy, but Alchemy is definitely the least good.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Adventures and Empires are also the most "okay, we gonna make the game all sorts of weird and crazy now" expansions. I love that, but I wouldn't pick them up first thing.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Kashuno posted:

:toot: I want to pick it up as it seems like something my girlfriend and I would enjoy, but the group on Sunday isn't super regular so I don't want to constantly switch number of players etc etc.

Definitely get it. 90% of my games have been with just my wife and I (about 40 or so scenarios now) and it is just perfect with two. You do unlock some things slower with fewer players, but that hasn't bothered us in the least - and if it turns out that it's a game you enjoy as much as we do, you'll have enough content to play for months. It's probably comparable to owning something like the Arkham Horror/LotR LCG plus at least two full cycles of expansions just from the base box in terms of how much stuff there is.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Texibus posted:

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Campaign Manager 2008 in particular is a very good introduction to area control games for people who don't play designer board games. It's my go-to board game date game after Jaipur.

Wait are we being serious here? I was given Campaign Manager 2008 as a gag gift and played it once and it was not very good.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Kashuno posted:

Passes for PAX Unplugged are surprisingly cheap! I'm excited

Where are you seeing information on the pricing?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Wait are we being serious here? I was given Campaign Manager 2008 as a gag gift and played it once and it was not very good.

It's great for what it is: relatively simple 2 player only game that plays in 30-45 minutes and has a clear and strong theme that people relate to. If someone's not ready for twilight struggle or sekigihara, CM2008 fits right in.

It's good with the starter decks but even better if you draft your deck at the start.

Also I always give my opponent the choice of who to be, and of the 5-10 people I've played the game with, every single one has chosen McCain.

Edit: also you can usually find it for <$10.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 6, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fellis posted:

Where are you seeing information on the pricing?

This gamasutra article has the price at $60 for the weekend

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

I'd be lying if I didn't say this sounded kind of cool, especially if they polish Vast's system. Wonder if they'll kickstart this one too...

I assume so. Kickstarter's been good to Patrick so far and while Vast's been pretty successful I doubt we're talking "fully fund all ongoing projects from now on" numbers, even if there weren't promotional benefits to Kickstarting.

Gutter Owl posted:

Kinda surprised this dust didn't get kicked up earlier when Millennium Blades and Vast: The Crystal Caverns did reprint Kickstarters. (And KD:M as well, through KD:M is a whole other thing unto itself.)

Kinda a common denominator here: Hyper-ambitious projects from small indie studios that struggle to get their MSRP at the industry-standard 5x landed costs. Which makes sense, since smaller publishers are more prone to bad estimates. And also there's probably just no way to get some of these huge monsters below a $20/unit landed cost, when $99MSRP is sort of the upper limit most consumers will pay for a non-GW board game. (At least, not without some dank plastic titty.)

FWIW, with Vast Patrick had not been planning to do a reprint KS - he had funds for it ready to go and then Paypal decided to sit on all of it for something like 6 months and he was unsuccessful in convincing them to do otherwise. So there were a few different options at that point and he decided another Kickstarter would probably be the sanest option.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 6, 2017

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I have received all the games I backed, but some have been less than stellar game but that's a risk I accept when backing a project or buying in a store.

I think the KS route works better than P500 route because people only have 30 days to back a project, or take the chance of missing out on a product that may or may not be available later. When I see a project I have considered getting near the end I feel a little rushed to order it. I hear this little voice in my head yelling, don't let this slip buy, this is your last chance to ever own this game man back it. On the other hand I have regretted missing a couple of games and then later decided I didn't need them because the reviews are so mixed.

I hope to back Gloomhaven but I am waiting for my wife to watch the video and commit to playing. The other person who will play is five hours away and we don't see each other enough..

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Mr. Jive posted:

I'm planning to pick up Dominion and maybe an expansion pack. Mostly going to be for 2-player games.

I grabbed the second edition big box since it came with Intrigue, and it sure is big.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

I grabbed the second edition big box since it came with Intrigue, and it sure is big.

Sure is. I picked it up planning to foamcore it into four rows and fit all of the Dominion in it. I haven't done it yet (still need to order the divider tabs), but I have no doubt the box is big enough.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I put all my Dominion in a giant binder with trading card pages. Heavy as gently caress, but it has a handle! Doesn't work for weirdos who sleeve everything, though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr. Jive posted:

2nd edition is a better game, but the difference isn't huge and matters less and less the more expacs you get. If you can get a great deal on the 1st edition then it would be a tough choice.

Seaside, Prosperity, and Intrigue (since that's now an expac in 2nd edition) are generally the first expacs people get, and you can make a case for any of them.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So what ever happened with Mechs vs Minions? Did the luster wear off? Literally unmentioned for months, save a single comment about someone wanting to sell their copy.

Is it still good? Why has it disappeared?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lord Frisk posted:

So what ever happened with Mechs vs Minions? Did the luster wear off? Literally unmentioned for months, save a single comment about someone wanting to sell their copy.

It's a cooperative game, and goons have no friends.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It hasn't really disappeared, there's just not really much reason to talk about a decent-but-not-fantastic game in a somewhat saturated genre that often.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

Terraforming Mars and Great Western Trail appear to have fallen out of favor too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Lord Frisk posted:

Lack of availability is probably another reason - it's great for everyone who already owns it but a downer for the rest of us who know we'd have to pay scalper's prices or wait for the next wave in summer.