Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's a great deal compared to eBay, I was following prices for the last couple of weeks until I settled on a 2014 model.

EDIT: I know people have said this before, but coming from a 2009 17" MBP, the retina screen looks absolutely amazing.

They are willing to sell it to me for $1500. I am going to go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Don't forget to check the AppleCare status.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Eletriarnation posted:

a brand new one wouldn't be that much faster

Unless they offer a quad core again. One can dream...

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They might be keen to move the Mini to current TB as 4k and 120hz become more and more common.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Don't forget to check the AppleCare status.

Ends October this year.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Are there any go-too good off brands for replacement magsafe chargers? I need one for my old 2009 MBP, so an 85W model. I'm seeing Apple selling them for $85, but then a poo poo ton of assorted Chinese companies and American resellers of chinese crap offering them in the $15-25 range.

For that much of a discount I don't need it to last another 7 years, but I"d prefer it if it didn't damage the computer or burn my house down.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are there any go-too good off brands for replacement magsafe chargers? I need one for my old 2009 MBP, so an 85W model. I'm seeing Apple selling them for $85, but then a poo poo ton of assorted Chinese companies and American resellers of chinese crap offering them in the $15-25 range.

For that much of a discount I don't need it to last another 7 years, but I"d prefer it if it didn't damage the computer or burn my house down.
It was never licensed so they're all knockoffs of some sort. OWC sells "bulk packaged" ones, I think they're just original replacements meant for repair shops (...probably not meant for resale? :iiam:). From the review it sounds like it's just missing retail packaging and the long cable/plug attachment.

https://eshop.macsales.com/search/magsafe%2085w

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone I know who's ever bought a non-apple magsafe charger has had it break in a few weeks and then they just bought the apple ones.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Interesting teardown and comparison of a fake charger and a real charger

http://www.righto.com/2016/03/counterfeit-macbook-charger-teardown.html

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Picked up my retina Mac. Holy poo poo this screen.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Now nothing else is ever going to look as good :unsmigghh:

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I always bought the ones on eBay that were sold by independent Mac repair shops for ~$45.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

buglord posted:

Now nothing else is ever going to look as good :unsmigghh:

Also the speakers on this thing seem fantastic for laptop speakers.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Also the speakers on this thing seem fantastic for laptop speakers.

I was watching a documentary or something on Netflix and I got tripped out by how well the macbook speakers handle positional audio. One point I had to mute the audio because I thought the sound of birds was coming from outside my window, despite it being dusk.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bob Morales posted:

Interesting teardown and comparison of a fake charger and a real charger

http://www.righto.com/2016/03/counterfeit-macbook-charger-teardown.html

I'm saving this and providing it to anyone who whines to me about 'Apple markup'. Go ahead and buy the goddamn gas station version. See you when your house burns down or your computer explodes.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I said come in! posted:

To save you the trouble of searching: Some kind soul has made a bulk download tool so you can easily grab all the retina-quality wallpapers from InterfaceLIFT.

I've had my machine for almost two months and I'm still agog at the screen. (I'm also an outlier who actually prefers the new keyboard to the old ones.)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm saving this and providing it to anyone who whines to me about 'Apple markup'. Go ahead and buy the goddamn gas station version. See you when your house burns down or your computer explodes.

The third party ones are only poo poo because Apple refuse to license to 3rd parties so they can do the 'mark up'.

It's very possible to make cheaper chargers that are safe, which is why Apple don't license it out.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what license do you need to make sure a charger doesn't burn your house down?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

You don't need one, but if you are essentially immune to Apple's enforcement of the license because you are a random sketchy entity in China you are also immune to lawsuits over burning houses, so, who gives a poo poo, crank up that profit margin. No licenses means no companies like Amazon/Monoprice/Anker aren't able to design out and contract build safe chargers and sell them for a reasonable price.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
This is one handy dandy reason why USB-c rules as a charging platform for the new MacBook pros. The cable is replaceable and the included charger is just a solid rear end brick (it was always the cables that broke anyway).

Thanks Apple 👍

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ocrassus posted:

This is one handy dandy reason why USB-c rules as a charging platform for the new MacBook pros. The cable is replaceable and the included charger is just a solid rear end brick (it was always the cables that broke anyway).

Thanks Apple 👍

Is there anything USB-C can't do? It seems to be the golden age of cables is finally here with USB-C.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I said come in! posted:

Is there anything USB-C can't do? It seems to be the golden age of cables is finally here with USB-C.

Not pull my laptop off the table when the dog runs across the room and catches on it or when I'm just an idiot and get the cable around my ankle when getting up from my desk.

It's kind of bullshit that the magsafe adapters didn't have removable / replaceable cables (I mean, gently caress, they have it going the other direction with the removable extension cord going to the wall) but magsafe itself is a good idea. Ultimately I'd rather replace a $80 apple-only brick once every few years than watch my $2000+ laptop hit the floor.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

No reputable 3rd party is going to make unlicensed copies of heavily IP-laden & always uncertified chargers.
This isn't really hard to understand.

I've never had an Apple charger go wrong, so I've never bought one, but suggesting the current gen of 3rd party chargers is evidence the "apple markup" is for a reason is nonsense.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
My wife and I have both had apple chargers slowly die, mine was a magsafe and hers the newer magsafe 2. Neither were connection issues, just deteriorating power conversion circuitry. In both cases the charging light will be extremely dim and intermittent until the charger is removed from the wall for a while, eventually permanently dead no matter how long they rest. We both tend to buy top spec machines and run them for several years though so it does take a while.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not pull my laptop off the table when the dog runs across the room and catches on it or when I'm just an idiot and get the cable around my ankle when getting up from my desk.

It's kind of bullshit that the magsafe adapters didn't have removable / replaceable cables (I mean, gently caress, they have it going the other direction with the removable extension cord going to the wall) but magsafe itself is a good idea. Ultimately I'd rather replace a $80 apple-only brick once every few years than watch my $2000+ laptop hit the floor.

I kind of gave up on Magsafe when I pulled a laptop off the desk using my headphone cable :haw:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Cyrano4747 posted:

THANKS OBAMA

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/04/05/imac181-with-xeon-e3-1280-v6-processor/

quote:

Good news folks. I am told, by a little bird, that the next iMac (to be released in late October) will be available with (up to) Intel E3-1285 v6 processor with 16 GB (upgradable to 32 or 64 GB) ECC memory. Faster NVMe SSD’s possibly up to 2 TB and AMD graphics to support VR and Pro apps. Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C gen 2 with… tada… a brand new keyboard.

Apple is also working on a 8K display for the next generation of Mac Pro’s, which by the way will be much more like a PC with the next generation EFI BIOS.

p.s. The next version of macOS won’t use a mountain/park name anymore. Two names in the running. One starts with a Mmmm.

Aha. The next Mac mini won’t be so mini anymore. Well. The top model that is.

@Craig: Don’t forget the joke at WWDC 🙂

P.s. I’ll be there as well so ping me to meet me there 🙂

Note: my little bird is usually pretty accurate, but some of it should be handled with care/scepticism until new Apple hardware arrives!

Neato. If they're making a bit thicker Mini that could yield some nice changes. I'm still hoping there's kind of a Mini Pro or Mac Pro Lite that's essentially iMac level performance without a display.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ugh I can't wait until loving October for a new iMac. Hopefully that's wrong.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

nVidia adds Pascal support to its Mac web drivers coming later this month!

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/06/nvidia-titan-xp-beta-pascal-drivers-mac/

9to5mac posted:

We have reached out to Nvidia for a statement about compatibility down the line with lesser 10-series cards, and I’m happy to report that Nvidia states that all Pascal-based GPUs will be Mac-enabled via upcoming drivers. This means that you will be able to use a GTX 1080, for instance, on a Mac system via an eGPU setup, or with a Hackintosh build. Exciting times, indeed.

So yeah, GTX 1060 / 1070 / 1080 compatibility for cheesegrater Mac Pros! Naturally that should include CUDA, so that will make a lot of pros who haven't abandoned Macs happy!

eames
May 9, 2009

I can almost taste the official eGPU support at this point

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

eames posted:

ew. EGPU is crap.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

ew. EGPU is crap.

You know when you go into an apartment building and you smell the other people's cooking on each floor and you go "What are they cookin'?" That, over only 4 PCIe lanes plus crap!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

eames posted:

If Craig Federighi says "I think they have a place" then there oughta be not only software support (which he's in charge of) but maybe a dedicated slot/port for them?

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

If Craig Federighi says "I think they have a place" then there oughta be not only software support (which he's in charge of) but maybe a dedicated slot/port for them?

I'm expecting it to drop with the next "iMac Pro" they hinted at. The only thing that concerns me is that the 27" 5K iMac has almost double the pixel count of a 4K display and that's an insane amount of bandwidth for TB3 unless they limit eGPU support to external displays.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Binary Badger posted:

So yeah, GTX 1060 / 1070 / 1080 compatibility for cheesegrater Mac Pros! Naturally that should include CUDA, so that will make a lot of pros who haven't abandoned Macs happy!

Sweet, going to make the next year a little less painful. gently caress my 9750. gently caress it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

nVidia adds Pascal support to its Mac web drivers coming later this month!

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/06/nvidia-titan-xp-beta-pascal-drivers-mac/

Mac Hardware megathread - Pascal gave me a Fermi

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We don't have any mods that read the Apple threads anymore :(

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

We don't have any mods that read the Apple threads anymore :(

You could always volunteer to mod agai-

(gets strangled by a very disturbed parrot)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Awesome. I finally got my hackintosh working on the same chassis as my PC and the nVidia 1060 registers just 10mb of RAM. Which kind of defeats the purpose of building a hackintosh.

On charger chat, I have this:

Super small, can charge other devices with interchangeable cables/tips, durable Magsafe adapter, has two extra USB ports, and the company went out of business six months ago so...yeah. They never did put out an USB-C version. :(

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Krispy Kareem posted:

Awesome. I finally got my hackintosh working on the same chassis as my PC and the nVidia 1060 registers just 10mb of RAM. Which kind of defeats the purpose of building a hackintosh.

Maybe the official nvidia mac drivers will help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ocrassus posted:

Thanks Apple 👍
It's awesome when properly done but there's unsafe stuff like this out there, and in general it seems like a lot USB-C stuff is out of spec. There's two guys that's been testing a bunch of stuff (that Nathan guy and Benson Leung) but they haven't posted much in a while, from some comments it sounds like they signed NDAs or something.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/04/05/imac181-with-xeon-e3-1280-v6-processor/

Neato. If they're making a bit thicker Mini that could yield some nice changes. I'm still hoping there's kind of a Mini Pro or Mac Pro Lite that's essentially iMac level performance without a display.
I've been wondering if they might just kill it off and have the Mac Pro in a wide rear end spec range. Course that was before the whole Mac Pro thing a few days ago. Oh hey a full transcript!
https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/06/transcript-phil-schiller-craig-federighi-and-john-ternus-on-the-state-of-apples-pro-macs/

Haven't read it yet but searched for Mac mini for the full snippet:

quote:

John Paczkowski (BuzzFeed): What about the Mac Mini? It hasn’t come up once yet. Is there a reason?

Phil Schiller: On that I’ll say the Mac Mini is an important product in our lineup and we weren’t bringing it up because it’s more of a mix of consumer with some pro use. So we’re focusing today specifically on the things that are important to pros. While there are some pro usage, there’s also a lot of consumer uses so we aren’t covering it today. The Mac Mini remains a product in our lineup, but nothing more to say about it today.

If we haven’t communicated that, we have a lot of people working on the Mac — a lot of really brilliant people invested in great new products in both infrastructure and people — then we haven’t done our job here today because we do have a lot of resources on the Mac, and that’s gonna stay.