Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Zetsubou-san posted:

pro-click just for the sketch for episode 11

I liked Kanna eating a shark/dolphin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/sockgyu/status/849313204337553410

I am not ready for the finale.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Guys, I don't want it to end. I want another season. :(

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
All good things, my friend :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
10/10

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
What a lovely show this was, with a wonderful finale to top it off.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/PsyMuppet/status/849661454928277507

:same:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You couldn't make a better finale for this show than the one we got. Great show. A handful of lovely jokes aside, this was just a sublimely produced, wonderfully earnest and warm show from start to finish.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Now that is a goddamn finale.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, way more of this episode than I expected was anime-original. The confrontation with bad dad is much shorter in the manga. He never takes Tohru away or gets in a real fight. Their conversation at Kobayashi's door was basically the extent of their confrontation in the manga. The additions were all spectacular. Kobayashi doing her best to look after Kanna by herself was so quietly devastating.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Kobayashi doing her best to look after Kanna by herself was so quietly devastating.

I really liked this. It showed the hole her absence left in their lives, but it also showed Kobayashi getting some sort of handle on things, as she went from waking up late and spilling everything to getting breakfast ready and ensuring Kanna wouldn't be left alone when she had to work late (even if the place was still a mess). To me it emphasized that the real hole in their lives wasn't Tohru's contributions as a maid.

In general, this ep did a fantastic job of having the normally unemotive Kobayashi show her feelings. Such a good finale, such a good show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm not crying, you're crying

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I appreciated that Tohru's dad, in his Big Stupid Violent Evil Dragon Way, was ultimately just concerned about his daughter falling in love with a human that was gonna die about five or ten thousand years earlier than she did.

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

That was a happy ending, even though I'm sad it came.

Even though my Wednesdays will have a big Kanna shaped hole in them from now until the end of time, it was truly one of the warmest and pleasant shows I ever watched.

And yes, Single mother Kobayashi was heart-wrenching.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

In general, this ep did a fantastic job of having the normally unemotive Kobayashi show her feelings. Such a good finale, such a good show.

Yeah. Shouldn't be surprising coming from the same director, but it really reminded me of Oreki from Hyouka - Kobayashi hasn't suddenly become this super-expressive bundle of joy, she's still fundamentally the same quiet and reserved person she has been. She's just also come to understand what/who she truly cares about in way that she didn't at the start of the show. Very, very elegantly done.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

yeah

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/849693999547924480

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Ya got me.

9.5 :3:s out of 10 for this show. Roll on a second season although it ended perfectly nicely even if that's all.

Also Saikawa should not feed Kanna like that, she'll lose an arm :ohdear:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We probably wont get an S2 for a while since I think this is a monthly series and Cool does at least three series at a time I think (I don't actually know). I guess the best we can hope for is an OVA or something.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I really don't think it needs a s2. It's said what needed to be said, and it was excellent, but now I'm content to move on, with maybe a BD OVA as a chaser.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I thought the same thing

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I really don't think it needs a s2. It's said what needed to be said, and it was excellent, but now I'm content to move on, with maybe a BD OVA as a chaser.

Yeah.This show was wonderful and I look forward to the OVA that I swear I've heard about somewhere, but all of its core strengths are things I'd say it either explored pretty fully or that KyoAni delivers in almost every show it makes. There's probably a good way to do a followup, but I don't think that there's any burning need for one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Kobayashi never ate the tail so we need S2.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I've had a think and on reflection I don't think a second season would really be necessary. An OVA might be nice though

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man just an excellent show all around

so glad elma ended up with her true soulmate, food

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Sindai posted:

Kobayashi never ate the tail so we need S2.

Calling it now, this will be the last of the blu-ray specials

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

what a awful anime, glad it's over

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'll agree that this works solidly well on its own merits as it is; but I'm pretty confident a S2 wouldn't make it less enjoyable so I think its best that I'll be cautiously optimistic for a sequel sometime over the next decade, forget about it, and then get pleasantly surprised if it does happen.

Comrade Kirov posted:

And yes, Single mother Kobayashi was heart-wrenching.

Same. :(

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah.This show was wonderful and I look forward to the OVA that I swear I've heard about somewhere, but all of its core strengths are things I'd say it either explored pretty fully or that KyoAni delivers in almost every show it makes. There's probably a good way to do a followup, but I don't think that there's any burning need for one.

There are 7 equally priced Blu-ray/DVD volumes with 2 episodes on each. 13 episodes were broadcast. That leaves 1 episode for bonus content on the final volume, as happened with both Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusion seasons, Beyond the Boundary, Free! -Eternal Summer-, Sound! Euphonium, and Myriad Colors Phantom World (all published by Kyoto Animation and the respective committees).

Additionally there is a short 2-3 minute animation on each BD/DVD volume. That's not to be confused with the "OVA" as people get these mixed up all the time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Good hugs, good finale, good show, good family.

Kobayashi falling to pieces when Tohru left and slowly getting back into gear for Kanna's sake, but still being something of a mess was really sad. Also, a very good scene, but still really sad.

I would be happy with a season 2 but this is a pretty perfect end. Even if they should've kissed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nobody will ever kiss in a kyoani show. It is law.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I really cry to easily these days ugh
Also:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

they should've kissed.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Damnit, this room sure is dusty, it keeps getting in my eyes. :cry:

Great episode, great finale, one of the best anime this season. Bravo Kyoani.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

chumbler posted:

Nobody will ever kiss in a kyoani show. It is law.

Kyon kissed Haruhi

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Aurora posted:

Kyon kissed Haruhi

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aurora posted:

Kyon kissed Haruhi

Poor Yuki

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This scene was great.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/c711d45872e7d38669c36042ad2c3c2d.mp4

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I'm tearing up all over again

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
That really was the perfect final episode for a show like this one. The distant, detached tone of life without Tohru really hit my heart. Hell, when she came back, I almost expected it to be Kobayashi dreaming, and I kept bracing for the part when she woke up.

This was already my front runner for AOTS, but this episode definitely sealed the deal.

I love how much her actions conveyed without any words, but I hate the way it made me feel. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
God drat that was a good ending. I'm joining the "doesn't need a second season" camp because they ended it on a pretty perfect note and I don't think they could really add more to it unless they got really creative and didn't actually focus on Kobayashi and Tohru.

• Locked thread