Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, I'm too broke to afford gas (, platinum nor an av for that matter), so I'd appreciate if y'all'd use that gaslighting technique effect to boil me some water while gabbing about hygiene and bathing in the SEINEN MANGA THREAD. I literally haven't bathed in weeks, but will give it a try since it is no longer cold outside.

Kissmanga was loving with ad revenue and got in bed with a nasty ad network who bought some bullshit from the company that bought Ghostery. I got a popup and thought the Chinese were hacking the Russian proxy my mom bought me. Kissmanga swears they thought the strange ad network was it's wife. The for-profit rehosting service for the intellectual property of sandalwearing goldfish-tenders has since retracted ties with that sponsor, but continues to default manga browsing at single-page reading ftl.

just read this, okay?

Anyway, what did everyone have for lunch today? I had Burger King. They have this deal where you get two cheeseburgers and fries with a coke for three dollars and fifty cents after tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
that was dope
and canon

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Metal Pink Babble posted:

Welp, I'm too broke to afford gas (, platinum nor an av for that matter), so I'd appreciate if y'all'd use that gaslighting technique effect to boil me some water while gabbing about hygiene and bathing in the SEINEN MANGA THREAD. I literally haven't bathed in weeks, but will give it a try since it is no longer cold outside.

Kissmanga was loving with ad revenue and got in bed with a nasty ad network who bought some bullshit from the company that bought Ghostery. I got a popup and thought the Chinese were hacking the Russian proxy my mom bought me. Kissmanga swears they thought the strange ad network was it's wife. The for-profit rehosting service for the intellectual property of sandalwearing goldfish-tenders has since retracted ties with that sponsor, but continues to default manga browsing at single-page reading ftl.

just read this, okay?

Anyway, what did everyone have for lunch today? I had Burger King. They have this deal where you get two cheeseburgers and fries with a coke for three dollars and fifty cents after tax.

You should, uh, seek help if you're doing that poorly

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Metal Pink Babble posted:

just read this, okay?

kissmanga/anime is still lovely for me, the bad ads are still there

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

nerdz posted:

kissmanga/anime is still lovely for me, the bad ads are still there

I just stopped bothering with kiss[x] a bit back, the constant .de.ru.me.ca.fbi.gov domain changes and the ads trying to get more and more intrusive every time weren't worth it anymore, just go to batoto or something.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like how the doctor in Jin heals peasants and goes "HAH-HAH, DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE COST-" (I imagine the typical heroic response here)"-WE'LL HAVE A TEN MONTH REPAYMENT PLAN WITH YOUR PEASANT GOLD". Him actually taking a poor oldtimey person's payment instead of doing the typical hero-thing actually resulted in someone's death and he mentally took note of that, but he still does it. :lol:
Like I guess he needs more money to keep introducing more high tech instruments to keep saving lives and it's kind of a way to not condescend to them by taking their payment but it still makes me laugh every time. I guess it's fair enough that he can't be a shonen manga charity worker. Funny how they all seem to be young attractive women so far too...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't like what I'm seeing in Grand Blue

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rodyle posted:

______________/

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That Works posted:

______________/

I love what I'm seeing in that avatar!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Rodyle posted:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 30, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I haven't gotten into Grand Blue yet but it does look really fun and awesome. Of course the last goon manga craze I got into was HELCK and I ended up gradually losing interest and then dropping it completely as it transitioned from hilarity to a SERIOUS DARK FANTASY BATTLE MANGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Kinda wish it'd just stayed the gag manga it seemingly started out as.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think grand blue is likely to become a dark fantasy manga for what it's worth

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah I figured. maybe it'll just randomly be this by chapter 100 though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFxM0j2WtSs
I'm looking forward to the scuba battle tournament arc

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

yeah I figured. maybe it'll just randomly be this by chapter 100 though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFxM0j2WtSs
I'm looking forward to the scuba battle tournament arc

This video is longer than the amount of time you'd spend reading grand blue panels where the characters are actually diving

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

I don't think grand blue is likely to become a dark fantasy manga for what it's worth

50 chapters later an accident occurs while diving and they all drown and reincarnate into a fantasy world.

edit: A world called Grand Blue, a second title drop

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I meant in the latest chapter, I love GB in general, but this cousin business has to stop.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"cousin business"
it's not getting creepy, is it?
be my early warning signal, Rodyle
I just started reading

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rodyle posted:

I meant in the latest chapter, I love GB in general, but this cousin business has to stop.

I think that Japan doesn't have the same stigma towards cousin love as we have in the US (or maybe the West in general). Not sure why that is, exactly.

edit: I haven't caught up to the most recent chapter (I'm on 20 something) but I would rather him end up with Cakey even though I doubt he will. I like her a lot, I think largely because she comes off as more "normal" than most anime/manga girls and the quirks she has are pretty unique and funny. Cousin girl is also funny but she is more of a typical tsundere type character.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 5, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is less of a stigma and they have a higher incidence of certain hereditary illnesses as a result.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I guess technically, in the latest chapter the Main Character gets his cousin drunk and carries her off to bed

technically

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Aren't they only cousins by marriage or something, I remember some explanation about that in the background chatter of a panel

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also, we're talking about the guy whose reaction to the question "Wanna gently caress your (other)cousin?" is this:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 30, 2023

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is less of a stigma and they have a higher incidence of certain hereditary illnesses as a result.

Isn't 1st cousins having a kid only as bad any woman over 40?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Also, we're talking about the guy whose reaction to the question "Wanna gently caress your (other)cousin?" is this:

He says this but I keep becoming concerned

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I mean, i also rolled my eyes at the cliché'd "trips and kisses him (on the forehead)" scene but it was turned into the setup for a nice GB-style joke, and i don't see much other cause for concern that didn't already happen from like chapter 1 onwards. I mean, he even invited Cakey instead of his cousin out for a dance, even if that was also the setup for a joke.

I guess what i'm saying is, it's punchlines all the way down.

vvvvvvvvv
first girl always wins

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 5, 2017

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

anyone who hadn't realized the grand blue guy was gonna end up with his cousin from the start is either dumb or kidding themselves

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
My money is the manga going school rumble and nothing happens ever

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

nerdz posted:

My money is the manga going school rumble and nothing happens ever

School Rumble actually reached a conclusion. The correct one, even!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Lies.

Or maybe not, I don't remember School Rumble all that well. Which one had the female lead try to beat someone to death with a baseball bat? Like, it was an actual choreographed fight scene even.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Aren't they only cousins by marriage or something, I remember some explanation about that in the background chatter of a panel

Yeah, they aren't actually related, cakey freaks out about it for a whole chapter

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rodyle posted:

He says this but I keep becoming concerned

I think he feels that way about Nanaka not due to being cousins, but due to Nanaka's personality and specific personal relationship with him.

Cake Attack posted:

anyone who hadn't realized the grand blue guy was gonna end up with his cousin from the start is either dumb or kidding themselves

Yes, unfortunately. Poor Cakey. The cousin also doesn't seem to have any reason to be interested in him beyond "he genuinely enjoys diving" which is also true for the rest of the cast. At least Cakey has the motive of him doing that genuinely nice thing for her during the pageant.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

HenryEx posted:

I mean, i also rolled my eyes at the cliché'd "trips and kisses him (on the forehead)" scene but it was turned into the setup for a nice GB-style joke, and i don't see much other cause for concern that didn't already happen from like chapter 1 onwards. I mean, he even invited Cakey instead of his cousin out for a dance, even if that was also the setup for a joke.

I guess what i'm saying is, it's punchlines all the way down.

vvvvvvvvv
first girl always wins

After seeing panels from it and reading people's reviews of it I picked it up and have been pleasantly surprised. A lot funnier than I thought it was going to be and most of the gags are pretty good. They even managed to make that trip-kiss gag not quite as dumb as it could've been!

Glad I picked it up the comic!

And even if they aren't related by blood it would be nice for things with Iori and Chisa to shake out differently, but I don't expect it to. Still should be fun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RatHat posted:

Isn't 1st cousins having a kid only as bad any woman over 40?

Genetic diversity has never been a big problem for humans, apparently at the lowest point there were only 40 breeding pairs that we are all descended from, but they weren't loving their closest family members and even a little bit of genetic diversity can undo a few generations of incest. Having a culture that cousin marriage is allowed/not discouraged isn't great though.

It's pretty ironic that all the data and research about how loving terrible incest is comes from all the insane things dog breeders have done to keep breeds "pure". Pure breed dogs are a genetic mess and exist for little else then dog shows and to look good by whatever dog standard exists at the time. Oh, and that hosed up European king who's family tree overlapped so much it was almost a direct line down.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Charles is still just the crown prince, actually.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I never saw the epilogue chapter of Fort of the Apocalypse, apparently. It's not a bad one, despite the series getting canned rather abruptly.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Apocalypse-no-Toride/Chapter-046?id=298915

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

lol I never saw the epilogue chapter of Fort of the Apocalypse, apparently. It's not a bad one, despite the series getting canned rather abruptly.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Apocalypse-no-Toride/Chapter-046?id=298915

The most surprising thing about this chapter for me was the complete lack of malicious pop ups. Glad to see that site finally got its poo poo together.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

This isn't the first time this happened iirc. Hopefully they manage to keep things unfucked this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This time on Grand Blue...

Iori meets a new love inte-

...wait, that's a dude? Really? Oh, uuuuhh...

Well, at least the manga remembered it's about diving for the first time in like a year, so next chapter w'e'll probably get some actual bodies of water!
I'm also glad that the lighter gag is still going strong.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 30, 2023