Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You all realize that not even half of teachers are represented by unions right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah but I figure I'd defend the unions anyway. It's not their fault they have mostly poo poo to work with.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea my point was you can't really blame them

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I know it goes against your ideology, but unions have downsides to them

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's funny how I'm proposing - much to my dismay mind you - a capitalist free market solution to this problem that would work but it isn't taken seriously because that would mean funding education instead of privatizing.

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I know it goes against your ideology, but unions have downsides to them

I'm not saying they don't but your argument of "but unions protect lovely teachers" is no answer whatsoever to my proposal of "attract more qualified candidates to the field in the first place."

You want them to clean the septic tank with a poo poo encrusted brush and I'm saying "well give them a clean one first at least."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yes and they're also not a boogie man responsible for the ills in education

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also, from noted liberal tag USA today

What the declining unionization means for students in the short term is unclear, but American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten said students in states and countries with the highest rate of unionized teachers "do better, because collective voice is the means educators have to secure the tools and conditions they need to help students succeed."

Research shows that students in states with more unionized teachers have higher test scores and graduation rates.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Unions are terrible...unless they're police and fireman unions because they vote republican. The same arguments can be made against them, but...

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

COMRADES posted:

Well you're not going to get more qualified people in there without offering higher pay so if your solution is to just nix the Union and "fire all the bad teachers" then okay but what then?

As long as the pay for a teacher is less than I can make delivering packages for Amazon I don't know why anyone would actually want to be a teacher versus almost any other career.

Sounds like "throwing more money at the education problem" to me!

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Burt Sexual posted:

Sounds like "throwing more money at the education problem" to me!

Sure if you just literally throw money at it with no care for how it is spent or anything at all, similar to how the GOP throws money at military contractors even when the army is begging them to stop.

How big exactly do you guys think the federal education budget is? It's tiny lol. God forbid we throw money at our children's future.

All these arguments are just bourgie apologism. We're about to lose more tax revenues because of breaks for the wealthy than what we spend for our entire federal education budget. Not that taxes pay for goods and services anyway, hello you are in a fiat currency system. Learn your own economic system at least.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 5, 2017

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

COMRADES posted:

All these arguments are just bourgie apologism.

Welcome to the worst thread, my dude.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
These dumbshits believe that American exceptionalism is all that's needed to remain a hyperpower. We don't need to educate our populace or anything. We're just inherently better than the rest of the world.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

COMRADES posted:

Sure if you just literally throw money at it with no care for how it is spent or anything at all, similar to how the GOP throws money at military contractors even when the army is begging them to stop.

How big exactly do you guys think the federal education budget is? It's tiny lol. God forbid we throw money at our children's future.

All these arguments are just bourgie apologism. We're about to lose more tax revenues because of breaks for the wealthy than what we spend for our entire federal education budget. Not that taxes pay for goods and services anyway, hello you are in a fiat currency system. Learn your own economic system at least.

I should know better to joke in the non-lol thread. My bad.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Burt Sexual posted:

I should know better to joke in the non-lol thread. My bad.

Sorry comrade sometimes I just see red :v:

\/\/\/ right, exactly. And not even just less, it's like half.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 5, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The primary reason why public education has major issues in America is because experienced teachers are paid less than a software engineer right out of college. Scapegoating unions, which is actually one of the main reasons why public education is much less bad than it could be, as the problem is completely missing the massive towering mountain for the molehill. We don't value our teachers and that's the loving shame.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The primary reason why public education has major issues in America is because experienced teachers are paid less than a software engineer right out of college.

Software engineers are WAAAAY overpaid, Im looking forward to Dot com burst 2.0

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Teachers make TOO drat MUCH from MY TAXES already, they only work 9 MONTHS out of the year but complain about being underpaid whatever

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

That's the avg elementary school teacher's salary not the US average salary for everyone.

Cool. 40k is not a bad wage for 9 months of work, the median for high school teachers is 57k. For context, the median US household income is 56k.

Of course, I don't see how any of that mitigates your sexist contention that

COMRADES posted:

no one smart/talented goes to college saying "I want to become a public school teacher?"
When Education is the third most popular major for women.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
If we strangle all education funding and dismantle teacher job security and diminish their laughably small pay then our education will be made great again.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Yes college professors are generally smart

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

bag em and tag em posted:

If we strangle all education funding and dismantle teacher job security and diminish their laughably small pay then our education will be made great again.

Now were talking

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
whenever I used to bring up low teacher pay as a child my dad would always say "but they get a ton of benefits" so now that's what i tell people when they mention that I'm poor and a loser.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Imagine paying 100 000 american dollars to learn that communism is good, and that the genitalia you are born with are an arbitrary social construct.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Harrower posted:

Imagine paying 100 000 american dollars to learn that communism is good, and that the genitalia you are born with are an arbitrary social construct.

Imagine being a bitter loser that never went to college and constantly pretends that all colleges cost $100,000 and all degrees are in underwater basketweaving

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Harrower posted:

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

feelix posted:

Imagine being a bitter loser that never went to college and constantly pretends that all colleges cost $100,000 and all degrees are in underwater basketweaving

Nice meltdown

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
"eh education, if it ain't about Jesus or Reagan, it's useless liberal communism, get a real job!" *dies unemployed in rust belt.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Trump trying to talk about Syria while knowing absolutely nothing about it was one of the most embarassing things I've ever seen a president be part of

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hope everyone's ready for the next war except this time we're going in head first through a window cause no one on trumps cabinet is even remotely competent or knowledgeable about anything, let alone foreign policy

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
its funny how steve bannon is getting super-cucked right now but everyone's talking about betsy devos itt

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

Hope everyone's ready for the next war except this time we're going in head first through a window cause no one on trumps cabinet is even remotely competent or knowledgeable about anything, let alone foreign policy

Trump and his cabinet are rich, so I think you'll find they are the most competent at everything :smug:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nut to Butt posted:

Cool. 40k is not a bad wage for 9 months of work, the median for high school teachers is 57k. For context, the median US household income is 56k.

$40k isn't enough to live on for a year in many parts of the country, coincidentally the parts where the cost of living is much higher (cities) have some of the shittiest schools. The median household income in the USA is $56k and yet over half of Americans don't even half $400 saved so that should tell you something.

Nut to Butt posted:

Of course, I don't see how any of that mitigates your sexist contention that

When Education is the third most popular major for women.

Are we looking at the same numbers? Either way this proves nothing other than the most lucrative fields are still overwhelmingly male dominated.

And it's not sexist to state "smart and talented people are attracted to fields and careers that pay more." That's just how it is in our capitalist society. The fact that those fields are also male dominated is also an issue but let's not pretend like all careers are equally available for all sexes and women just so happen to be going into education more than men do.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 5, 2017

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

COMRADES posted:

The median household income in the USA is $56k and yet over half of Americans don't even half $400 saved so that should tell you something.
That's because of the Jewish banker conspiracy convincing Americans to consume

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

feelix posted:

That's because of the Jewish banker conspiracy convincing Americans to consume

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2016/01/06/63-of-americans-dont-have-enough-savings-to-cover-a-500-emergency/#5be10d5f4e0d

quote:

According to a brand new survey from Bankrate.com, just 37% of Americans have enough savings to pay for a $500 or $1,000 emergency. The other 63% would have to resort to measures like cutting back spending in other areas (23%), charging to a credit card (15%) or borrowing funds from friends and family (15%) in order to meet the cost of the unexpected event.

"Five-hundred dollars is enough money that it could be catastrophic if you’re really living on the edge and don’t have enough money" to cover that unplanned cost, Bankrate senior investing analyst Sheyna Steiner said in a phone interview. "I did wonder what would happen if it was $10,000, what would the answer have been then?"

Just sayin.

(also the answer is they are hosed that's what happens then)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Even if you were making enough money to put some away interest rates are effectively useless

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah not like that last time you went to war and left the place to ISIS once you got bored right?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did we even fight anyone in Iraq when we first invaded or did we just bomb the capital a bunch then roll in?

The whole time I kept hearing "ooooh but Saddam's secret Republican Guard" and..............

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

theperminator posted:

Yeah not like that last time you went to war and left the place to ISIS once you got bored right?

Yea it's gonna be even worse lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

COMRADES posted:

Did we even fight anyone in Iraq when we first invaded or did we just bomb the capital a bunch then roll in?

The whole time I kept hearing "ooooh but Saddam's secret Republican Guard" and..............

I think a little but they mostly retreated, were loyal to Iraq not Saddam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Blue Train posted:

Even if you were making enough money to put some away interest rates are effectively useless

With inflation you end up losing money over time. Lol.

• Locked thread