Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryrobots posted:

I pay for everything on credit cards, and pay those off monthly. This limits the individual withdrawals from my bank account, so I don't have surprise charges on my actual funds.

Obviously this only works if you have the restraint to use revolving credit.

Plus -- points, points, points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I do that too and go for new credit cards with signup mile bonuses and no annual fees. I travel for free now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KozmoNaut posted:

Waffles are worth it.

I dont like waffles so... eh. No biggie.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont like waffles so... eh. No biggie.

PURGE THE HERETIC

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
For real though, french toast >> waffles. Also does not require a one trick pony appliance.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sadi posted:

For real though, french toast >> waffles. Also does not require a one trick pony appliance.

Look at this guy without reversible griddle plates.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Look at this guy who doesn't want waffled french toast. I'd argue to use thick cut, stale Italian bread, but I'm partial to Alton Brown's french toast recipe
code:
Waffled french toast

Serves 3

Ingredients:

3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk [120 ml]
2 tablespoons butter, melted [30 grams]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract [5 ml]
Dash of salt
6 slices of bread
Directions:

1. In a shallow container such as a pie plate, whisk together all ingredients except bread.

2. Soak a slice of bread in the mixture, flipping the slice to make sure the bread thoroughly absorbs the liquid. 

3. Waffle until golden brown. This should take about five minutes, though waffling time will vary depending on your waffle iron and heat setting.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Plus -- points, points, points!

I am fully engulfed in this game

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Sadi posted:

While I normally would agree, I just recently tried making yeasted waffles and they are a game changer. You have to prep the mix the night before, but it is super easy.

Also, waffle irons make awesome hashbrowns.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

The other way (which I realize is simply not possible for someone in STR's position) is to simply not drain your checking account to near zero monthly. I make sure that after all my bills are paid for the month, I'll have at least a thousand left in the account so that I never get near the overdraft issue.

The trick is to manage to get to that point when your finances are already on a paycheck to paycheck basis, and then not spend the money that you know is there.

That's the thing... I have several hundred in savings, which they should have used to cover the difference (and this is how I had the account setup when I opened it). They removed all forms of overdraft protection when I asked them to just remove courtesy pay/whatever you call it from debit card transactions only, and they swear up and down that it's not possible to do that (when the paperwork the manager was having me read said they can do exactly that, and had my signature next to the option to opt my debit card out of overdraft protection/courtesy pay - I'd rather have the card declined instead of eating fees). I move enough out of savings every week to cover expected expenses, plus a bit extra just in case.

Everything is paid up now, and I opened checking and savings accounts with BBVA Compass. As soon as the debit card shows up, I'll be moving my direct deposit over and ending my membership.

I mean I get it, I'm already mostly on a paycheck to paycheck basis, but I did have enough in the bank to cover it, they just took my "please remove my debit card from overdraft protection" to mean "remove all forms of overdraft protection", and stonewalled when I called them out on it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I always hosed up my account because of delayed payments/checks/etc. So I started what I refer to as our "airlock" checking account. I have a spreadsheet that breaks down all my bills per month and says how much per check I need to deposit from my personal checking into the airlock account. I do that, then every bill gets drafted out of the airlock/checks get written out of it/etc.

Nothing but bills enters or exits the airlock! Our bank (USAA) lets us have pretty much instantly and unlimited transfers between accounts from their app, so its really easy to manage.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I understand what happened STR, and it sucks and seems like your paperwork would back you up and the bank should cover all your expenses. I was just saying how I avoid that personally by keeping enough buffer that even my biggest bill (mortgage) would be covered if I somehow forgot about it.

Given the terrible rates on savings accounts right now, I don't see much benefit of keeping my money there vs. in the checking account which also gets a miniscule amount of interest.

Like the others above, I also pay every bill possible (including my day to day living) on a cash-back credit card and pay it off monthly. Yet another thing that our society tends to deny to people who live paycheck to paycheck since they typically can't qualify for one.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I did a panel interview today. One of the had a bad habit. While thinking of his responses, he made a noise that reminded me of a phone dial tone. He in general reminded me of a male version of Tina on Bob's Burgers.

Probably not going to hire him.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Goober Peas posted:

I did a panel interview today. One of the had a bad habit. While thinking of his responses, he made a noise that reminded me of a phone dial tone. He in general reminded me of a male version of Tina on Bob's Burgers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XaIuw6K6Q

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah str, savings is good so your mind is in the right place but put a cushion in your checking account for just in case. I suspect paying way more in fees and losing your mind than you would get as interest in your savings dude.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

John Carmack used to be famous for that. I'd probably hire John Carmack, unless he then immediately exposed my company to a multi-million-dollar lawsuit.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I recommend getting a month ahead on bills. Keep a months worth of buffer in your checking account and call it a "slush fund" cause that sounds baller. Then you can pay all your line items on the first day of the month, and all money you earn that month goes into next months cash.

I cannot begin to tell you how liberating it feels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

I recommend getting a month ahead on bills. Keep a months worth of buffer in your checking account and call it a "slush fund" cause that sounds baller. Then you can pay all your line items on the first day of the month, and all money you earn that month goes into next months cash.

I'm so close man. I have a good decent enough amount of cash in both checking and savings and a couple grand tied up in some investments with my dad right now. I did get into hot water at the first week of March because I'd recently set all my bills to pay out on the 30th of the month and I forgot to manually set up payments for Feb so I nearly got a late charge on every monthly expense.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Adiabatic posted:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
women: "It's hard to beat a ramp shag"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

I recommend getting a month ahead on bills.
I did this.

Then I spent it on whisky, cigars, and car/bike parts going forward.

I'm not sure what it means to "sound baller", but if it's similar to how I usually feel after half a bottle of bourbon (and the opposite of being able to feel your own face), fair enough.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

No I feel like rhyno would get more use with that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

clam ache posted:

Ether Frenzy posted:

women: "It's hard to beat a ramp shag"
Your women want some of that hot Rhyno action, C/D?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

clam ache posted:

Not enough like a floor

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

The Door Frame posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't want waffled french toast. I'd argue to use thick cut, stale Italian bread, but I'm partial to Alton Brown's french toast recipe
code:
Waffled french toast

Serves 3

Ingredients:

3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk [120 ml]
2 tablespoons butter, melted [30 grams]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract [5 ml]
Dash of salt
6 slices of bread
Directions:

1. In a shallow container such as a pie plate, whisk together all ingredients except bread.

2. Soak a slice of bread in the mixture, flipping the slice to make sure the bread thoroughly absorbs the liquid.&#160;

3. Waffle until golden brown. This should take about five minutes, though waffling time will vary depending on your waffle iron and heat setting.

That's roughly what I do, but add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste, dash of honey, and a shot of whiskey into the mix. Also Im partial to stale sour dough.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Unrelated to any of the current chat, but is there something going on with the interstates (71 in my case) in OH? I drove to Youngstown and back this week and doing 75-76 in the left lane meant passing everyone, and before I even got close people were moving into the right lane. Are they ticketing for 5mph over and left lane camping? I was in a rented F150, no GPS so maybe the speedo was off but I doubt it.

Also the ecoboost with the 10 speed returns pretty impressive mileage for a crew cab 4x4 truck. I got around 22.5 going up and 21 going back. My tundra would have been at least 5mpg worse.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just got a Ninja blender recently and it's awesome for smoothies. We have lots of Florida strawberries and peaches in the freezer, so equal parts those with a banana and some ice and holy crap best smoothie ever.

I've never eaten this much fruit in my life since going gluten free, but so far so good I've been feeling great and no meds! :)

[e] I just can't seem to quit the coffee tho dam u caffeine :argh:

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuh. I literally just opened mine and made smoothies yesterday. Are you me?

I also got a pile of frozen fruit mixes on sale a while back expecting to make smoothies at some point. Because milk causes problems for me, i use a little bit of water to get the fruit mixing well and then add a pack of custard or almond flavor dessert tofu. it thickens it up and adds good flavor and gets a little bit of fat and protein in there without the horrid protein powder farts.

The ninja is awesome though, my old blender would just bounce frozen stuff up instead of mixing or chopping but with all the blades on the ninja it just zips through.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have one of those and for breakfast I throw in some ice cubes, banana and meal replacement shake powder and go lift.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuh. I literally just opened mine and made smoothies yesterday. Are you me?

I also got a pile of frozen fruit mixes on sale a while back expecting to make smoothies at some point. Because milk causes problems for me, i use a little bit of water to get the fruit mixing well and then add a pack of custard or almond flavor dessert tofu. it thickens it up and adds good flavor and gets a little bit of fat and protein in there without the horrid protein powder farts.

The ninja is awesome though, my old blender would just bounce frozen stuff up instead of mixing or chopping but with all the blades on the ninja it just zips through.

Nice. I got the one with the food processor attachment and two "bullets". The bullets actually work better than the blender attachment itself for single servings, hit the smoothie button and it flies. Although sometime I feel like i need earplugs the thing is loving loud.

If you can get peaches do the strawberry/peach/banana/ice and a little water to soften it up and you will create a magical fruity frozen smoothie.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Get y'all some yogurt and peanut butter/powdered peanut butter in those blenders for some protein.

Unsweetened cashew/almond milk is a good base too. Less calories than milk.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ninjas are kick rear end! I'd get a vita mix but I just don't blend that much. The ninja from Costco (the higher watt unit) has been perfect.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I saw this wonderful, street legal car today in the parking lot...

Love the 4 inline seats. Love that its being used so practically. Buying some jeans at Sears probably.

It needs to have a drag race with the Oscar Meyer Weiner mobile.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 6, 2017

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I wish they made methadone but for liking cars too much

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blk posted:

I wish they made methadone but for liking cars too much

They do, it's called being unemployed and homeless

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

They do, it's called being unemployed and homeless

then you get to live in a car and how great is that

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
True to methadone, the methadone for car addiction is MORE ADDICTING than the original affliction.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

I understand what happened STR, and it sucks and seems like your paperwork would back you up and the bank should cover all your expenses. I was just saying how I avoid that personally by keeping enough buffer that even my biggest bill (mortgage) would be covered if I somehow forgot about it.

Given the terrible rates on savings accounts right now, I don't see much benefit of keeping my money there vs. in the checking account which also gets a miniscule amount of interest.

Like the others above, I also pay every bill possible (including my day to day living) on a cash-back credit card and pay it off monthly. Yet another thing that our society tends to deny to people who live paycheck to paycheck since they typically can't qualify for one.

They should, but they're stonewalling me. For 2 days now, they've promised to have a manager call me back, and of course, that never happens, and every post I've made to their social media accounts gets deleted. My decision is already made to tell them to gently caress off, I just need to get 2 or 3 paychecks first (remember, twice weekly paychecks from Amazon). Once I change my direct deposit info with Amazon, I won't get paid for about a week, so I need to have enough cash on hand to pay all the bills due in a couple of weeks, plus enough to live on for a week.

I did take the paperwork showing where I was supposed to have overdraft protection, along with a screenshot of my account balances (plus the timestamped entries showing where they bounced the check, then ~20 minutes later my paycheck was credited) to the apartment office; they let me get by with just a returned check fee (which is still painful.. $75) and waived the late fees. Embarrassing, and up until last month, I had never paid rent late.

And yeah, my credit took a huge hit late last year - I won't be getting any decent credit cards for a couple of years because of that. I have 3 cards now (1 store card, 1 Capital One, 1 USAA), but there's no rewards on them. The only things I have billed to the cards are my tolls and Hulu. I don't normally trust autopay for anything, but Geico insists on autopay unless I want to pay an extra :10bux: a month. :argh:

slidebite posted:

Yeah str, savings is good so your mind is in the right place but put a cushion in your checking account for just in case. I suspect paying way more in fees and losing your mind than you would get as interest in your savings dude.

Yeah... I normally do keep (too small, as it turns out) cushion in checking, but I also knew that I had overdraft protection, and it was supposed to ding me for $5 if they pulled money from savings. Instead they removed overdraft protection entirely.

I drat near had a coronary while talking to the branch manager. The stupid was very strong with that one, and I have no idea how the gently caress she ever got hired by a bank (or CU, in this case). It was all I could do not to scream at her when she said "federal banking regulations don't apply to credit unions" when I read, word for word, the clause at the top of the form she handed me with my signature, referencing federal banking regulations and how they do apply to credit unions.

My bank balance also dwindled pretty badly in February - the whole "close friend dying of an overdose" bit left me in a funk for a few weeks, and I wound up living off of my credit cards and maxing them out.

Adiabatic posted:

If you don't count rent, I was a couple of months ahead up until February. My rent is on the high side for TX (but still pretty cheap compared to the rest of the US I guess - $820 with water, sewer, trash, pet rent, etc for ~750 sq ft), and I get stressed out when rent is due - my rent is about 1/4 of my monthly income, and it's a bit more than I was comfortable spending - but I wasn't going to find anything cheaper that wasn't a tiny shithole without going into the really ghetto areas. This area's on the ghetto side, but I don't feel like I'm going to be on the receiving end of a gunshot every time I walk outside, and I feel safe(ish) walking around at night.

ChocNitty posted:

Love the 4 inline seats. Love that its being used so practically. Buying some jeans at Sears probably.

I don't know what this is, but I need this in my life, at least I need to see it in person (preferably while I have my real camera).

blk posted:

then you get to live in a car and how great is that

Tried it, not a fan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alternatively having children kind of cuts it off as well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just shaved (my face, thank you) for the first time this year.

My face feels really weird. I've just been buzzing my face with clippers anytime it started getting itchy.

I'd like to say I look less fat, but I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i think the scale is going to say 195.something tomorrow which is a 10 lb loss and i will lose my poo poo

• Locked thread