Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

djssniper posted:

Are there any F1 related ads in the US? I'd have thought indy car would be more relevant to that market

more relevant to this topic, Honda in F1 is run by/funded by Japan, whereas the IndyCar program is Honda of America/Canada. Hence why they would focus on Indy in American ads.

I'm sure the "everything's fine, we're going to go all-out" talk before testing was typical Japanese manner - brave public face while scurrying like hell to make sure it isn't blowing up behind the scenes. Transparency isn't exactly a strong suit, and harmony is appreciated above all. Which makes MCLRN's comments publicly all the tougher for the Honda brass, I'm sure.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

harperdc posted:

more relevant to this topic, Honda in F1 is run by/funded by Japan, whereas the IndyCar program is Honda of America/Canada. Hence why they would focus on Indy in American ads.

Regardless of the region, Honda is still Honda, you just repeated the point I was making about being relevant to the market

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

djssniper posted:

Regardless of the region, Honda is still Honda

lol if you think this is true for a japanese company.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Honda F1 and say Honda Indy might as well not even have the same brand name from what I understand.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

djssniper posted:

Regardless of the region, Honda is still Honda

Not really, no.

Norns posted:

Honda F1 and say Honda Indy might as well not even have the same brand name from what I understand.

That is correct...from what I understand.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

Not really, no.

Which part of Honda brand don't you get?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Not really, no.

Isn't it the Honda equivalent of TRD or something?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Norns posted:

If you could explain this further, I'm not quite getting it, probably my fault

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I mean I know jack poo poo about Honda Indy. But they seem a lot more successful than Hondas F1 division. Honda also doesn't seem to share anything between any division.

I should probably try to get back into Indy.

But Anime GT and Super Formula both start soon...and I have classic F1 to watch still.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

djssniper posted:

If you could explain this further, I'm not quite getting it, probably my fault

Its a completely different division based in America that pulls no resources from Honda Japan.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I mean I know jack poo poo about Honda Indy. But they seem a lot more successful than Hondas F1 division.

I should probably try to get back into Indy.

But Anime GT and Super Formula both start soon...and I have classic F1 to watch still.

To be fair didn't they win just one race last season? It just happened to be the only race that really matters but I don't think that program is a huge success.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I thought they were doing better after they stripped down all the areo? Idk I haven't watched since 2015.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Its a completely different division based in America that pulls no resources from Honda Japan.

Hold on, it's a brand name, divisions are mute in this, it's still a Honda

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

To be fair didn't they win just one race last season? It just happened to be the only race that really matters but I don't think that program is a huge success.

I think two, maybe three. They won the 500, Texas, and maybe Pocono. Not sure on the latter. The low drag aero kit they have is great for speedways, but they don't have a good high downforce kit. They did win the only indy race so far this year though.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

I think two, maybe three. They won the 500, Texas, and maybe Pocono. Not sure on the latter. The low drag aero kit they have is great for speedways, but they don't have a good high downforce kit. They did win the only indy race so far this year though.

Could you tell me in 3 sentences why i should watch indycar instead of MotoGP?

(I already wanted to get into one or the other)

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norns posted:

It stopped being funny the 3rd or 4th time it started circling around.

Sorry. Ignore me idk I guess that stupid comic "triggers" me?

nice meltdown

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Flesh Croissant posted:

MotoGP.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Moto GPs steaming package is pretty awesome

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Everyone should watch MotoGP

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

djssniper posted:

Hold on, it's a brand name, divisions are mute in this, it's still a Honda

Nah, I've heard this a couple now. Honda America has nothing to do with Honda Japan. Just like HP was both HPE and HPT (HP Enterprise and HP Technology), they actually had nothing to do with each other. They've recently seperated, HPE is now just HPE and has it's own logo (which is dumb), but for the longest time anyone on the outside saw one 'HP' which was actually two totally separate companies doing totally different things. Go back to where I crap on about the ownership of Ferrari, which is a long and complicated musical chairs. Modern branding is a byzantine maze of theory and intuition and nobody really understand it other than the executive boards.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Flesh Croissant posted:

MotoGP. No question.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Flesh Croissant posted:

One sentence, two words: no Spaniards.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

Nah, I've heard this a couple now. Honda America has nothing to do with Honda Japan. Just like HP was both HPE and HPT (HP Enterprise and HP Technology), they actually had nothing to do with each other. They've recently seperated, HPE is now just HPE and has it's own logo (which is dumb), but for the longest time anyone on the outside saw one 'HP' which was actually two totally separate companies doing totally different things. Go back to where I crap on about the ownership of Ferrari, which is a long and complicated musical chairs. Modern branding is a byzantine maze of theory and intuition and nobody really understand it other than the executive boards.

So if Honda US had a fallout like VW with the emissions issue the brand wouldn't be tarnished? Do US cars have the 'Honda' badge? like I said, news to me

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

djssniper posted:

So if Honda US had a fallout like VW with the emissions issue the brand wouldn't be tarnished? Do US cars have the 'Honda' badge? like I said, news to me

Are you a lewis fan?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

djssniper posted:

Not really sure what you're trying to achieve here.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

djssniper posted:

Yes, US cars have the [H] badge on them. And US consumers as a whole are idiots who wouldn't know their Civic came from someplace other than Honda F1, HRC, Honda IndyCar, Honda BTCC...or that Honda even has (multiple) racing programs in the first place.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I mean I assume my neighbors civic has a Honda F1 engine in it myself

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Honda makes cars and sends them places.

Some blokes at honda America makes Indy cars.

Some blokes at honda Japan attempt to make f1 engines.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 6, 2017

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Honda Indy is run by HPD and nice Hondas get an Acura badge because Americans are classist.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

NO ITS THE AMERICAN ONE!!!!!1

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

djssniper posted:

It's like some hardware fault in HP server's range is a HP tech issue but does that effect the business of HPE? Well yeah it does, but not much. The enterprise agreement between HPE and their corporate customers would take that into account, but they're not going to re-sign to someone else because of something HPT did they don't like. They'll say to their HPE representative 'yeah well I don't know what HP is doing with those servers, but as long as you make sure none of those things end up on my network we have a good relationship and it's loving expensive to change stuff like that so we're good'.

I can imagine it's much the same with Honda. Honda America would have stuff going on in America so big that the 'parent' Japanese company can poo poo the bed for quite a while and the American customers of Honda America still trust their local representatives. Another point would be Americans generally don't give a poo poo about F1, so Honda Japan's long and dirty farce of this engine is something not only they haven't heard, even if they did hear it they probably wouldn't care.

We all will probably look twice the next time a Honda salesman tells you 'oh and the engine is solid in this baby' but for the majority of Americans I'm sure it's like Toyota.. reliable as gently caress and not made here therefore it doesn't suck.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wicka posted:

One sentence, two words: no Spaniards.
Anyone who watches MotoGP should appreciate why this fact makes IndyCar so great

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My hondas vin starts with "3" :mexico:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Almost all American Hondas are made in the US though if memory serves.

American Honda is a division of the Japanese company, but in terms of motorsports, F1 is driven by Japan HQ (as are Super GT and Super Formula I'd imagine) and Indy is purely North American. Dudes in Tokyo have no say in the IndyCar program, which has been supported now for damned close to 20 years.

Beyond having a second team to make use of the engine for development reasons, I'm guessing that Honda will partner with a second team next year if only because they have junior drivers and nowhere to put them besides McLaren. Namely, they have Japanese junior drivers they'll be trying to get into F1.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Honda Japan was involved in the CART program but that ended in 2002.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Norns posted:

According to a Honda engineer it has four prototypes.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If this dumb discussion is about "brand image" then people largely think 'brand name = brand name' and think little past that. Share prices reflect this mentality.

No one cares if their Sony TV and their Sony Vaio laptop are made by different 'divisions' - if one shits the bed people think worse of both lines.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 6, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

So you legitimately think Honda road cars are poo poo because they are poor in F1? No not every person thinks like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Norns posted:

So you legitimately think Honda road cars are poo poo because they are poor in F1? No not every person thinks like that

Brand image is largely subconscious and goes both ways. No one is doing critical analysis and extending the logic.
Or do you not get why teams are branded by their engine manufacturer?

Ford understood this when they threw caution and money to the wall to win the Le Mans 24hrs. Their road sales and stock went up.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 6, 2017

• Locked thread