Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

weird Asian candy posted:

I am learning I am not exploring this game nor talking to people nearly as much as I should. Just looked up a youtube video on it, now I gotta go do it!

Sometimes it goes the other way around though. Where you are exploring off the beaten path so consistently that you keep missing stuff near major roads and landmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

weird Asian candy posted:

I am learning I am not exploring this game nor talking to people nearly as much as I should. Just looked up a youtube video on it, now I gotta go do it!

For a game that is truly open world and lets you go anywhere anytime, you miss a ton if you don't travel the roads. Most of the random NPC interaction occurs on the road and a lot of quests start by going down them. I avoided roads for the most part to begin with ("don't tell me where to go, DAD!") but I've found the game assumes most players will use them.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Are there any mini-games that reward stuff other than money? IE. Which minigames give a unique reward so I know not to skip them other than the obligatory one try.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Are there any mini-games that reward stuff other than money? IE. Which minigames give a unique reward so I know not to skip them other than the obligatory one try.

Both of the Horse Minigames give unique rewards. I don't think any other minigame does.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Section Z posted:

Sometimes it goes the other way around though. Where you are exploring off the beaten path so consistently that you keep missing stuff near major roads and landmarks.

FooF posted:

For a game that is truly open world and lets you go anywhere anytime, you miss a ton if you don't travel the roads. Most of the random NPC interaction occurs on the road and a lot of quests start by going down them. I avoided roads for the most part to begin with ("don't tell me where to go, DAD!") but I've found the game assumes most players will use them.

Very true. I've been going back and forth on just sticking to the main quest line and making b lines for the next divine beast regions while being randomly pulled aside and exploring but I feel like I'm still missing so much :(

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FooF posted:

It's funny because if you do travel the roads you get a bunch of general quick travel points covering the entire map that are all by stables that have a vendor who sells arrows for cheap and have various weapons in the immediate vicinity.

It's a great design idea but it seems like most people who bought the game day 1 just went off in random directions and ignored the roads to their own detriment. Maybe an NPC who advises you that the roads are the safest routes left in Hyrule and the only place you're likely to find traveling merchants would've swayed a few people but the game overworld is so easy to explore why would people bother with roads?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Im missing about five shrines. Two of them are ones I need to find by hunting, the other three are shrine quests.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well at 110 hours and 110 shrines I decided it was time to destory ganon. And I destroyed the hell out of him. I feel like I missed a ton in the castle though, will go back soon.

I was not disappointed with the ending whatsoever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What happens if I collect 7 sprit orbs and then go make a wish near one of the dragons?

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Is there any use to the Hylian Armor or disadvantage to the Soldiers Armor that I'm missing? The Soldiers Armor has the higher defense, so I'm thinking there is also some downside, especially since most videos seem to have Link wearing the Hylian Armor. As far as I can tell, you just occasionally have to switch off the Soldiers set for lightning, but that's such a fast and short switch its barely a disadvantage.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

RFX posted:

Is there any use to the Hylian Armor or disadvantage to the Soldiers Armor that I'm missing? The Soldiers Armor has the higher defense, so I'm thinking there is also some downside, especially since most videos seem to have Link wearing the Hylian Armor. As far as I can tell, you just occasionally have to switch off the Soldiers set for lightning, but that's such a fast and short switch its barely a disadvantage.

Hylian pants go better with the champion's tunic.

Hylian hat/pants with tunic for life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like the look of soldiers armor with the Hylian hood.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

RFX posted:

Other than what you mentioned, the Hylian armor is really cheap to upgrade pretty quickly.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cojawfee posted:

I like the look of soldiers armor with the Hylian hood.

This is also a good look.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

RFX posted:

Lightning doesn't attract to any armor sets. Only weapons, shields, and bows.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

RFX posted:

Your first lightning storm in soldier's armor is a life changing experience...

Novum posted:

Lightning doesn't attract to any armor sets. Only weapons, shields, and bows.

I never even bought it, but I assumed it would. I'm a little disappointed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Get the rubber armor and you too can say "what lightning?"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you're wearing clothes you're playing the game wrong.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
speaking of rubber, four shrines to go, and im assuming im missing one in the Faron area which would give me the rubber helmet.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Someone ripped all the sounds and voices from Breath of the Wild, so I put BotW's Link's voice onto Link in Smash 4, if you're into that sort of thing.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Sooo...why does the horse stylist know what a French braid is? Is France a canonical sociopolitical entity in the Zelda world?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Hey are there Shrine Quests that can only be obtained only after freeing the Divine Beasts? Trying to do one where the quest giver is in Rito VIllage but she won't stop talk about the robot bird.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RFX posted:

Hylian armor is cheap to buy and upgrade, so by the time I had rupees to spare all my gear had more defense than the soldier's set anyway.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Waffleopolis posted:

Hey are there Shrine Quests that can only be obtained only after freeing the Divine Beasts? Trying to do one where the quest giver is in Rito VIllage but she won't stop talk about the robot bird.

Yes. I'm pretty sure every town other than Goron City has at least one quest that can't be completed without completing their respective Divine Beast. Zora's Domain has a ton.

Cojawfee posted:

Get the rubber armor thunder helm and you too can say "what lightning?"

Walking into a group of enemies during a rain storm with that equipped is pretty funny.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

Motto posted:

Hylian armor is cheap to buy and upgrade, so by the time I had rupees to spare all my gear had more defense than the soldier's set anyway.

Makes sense, except I guess that Soldiers Armor at level 2 is the same as Hylian at level 3. Is Hylian really easy to get to 4? I haven't unlocked the last fairy yet.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

What happens if I collect 7 sprit orbs and then go make a wish near one of the dragons?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

you get Daruk's loincloth

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Maple Leaf posted:

Someone ripped all the sounds and voices from Breath of the Wild, so I put BotW's Link's voice onto Link in Smash 4, if you're into that sort of thing.

Nice, is there anywhere to download the sounds? My phone could use some of them.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nice, is there anywhere to download the sounds? My phone could use some of them.

I pulled all the sounds from here. e: not to imply that I ripped them from the game myself, I just downloaded them.

And when I say "all the sounds," I mean all of them.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I got the Lord of the Mountain. What do I do with it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

yamdankee posted:

Pirate it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yamdankee posted:

run

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
ride mr iwata like the wind until he despawns

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RFX posted:

Makes sense, except I guess that Soldiers Armor at level 2 is the same as Hylian at level 3. Is Hylian really easy to get to 4? I haven't unlocked the last fairy yet.

Hylian 4's main ingredient is just amber and boko guts. Meanwhile, Rank 4 soldier starts asking for Lynel hooves and guts. So the difficulty I suppose is based on "Did you save any amber?" vs how often you have been hunting Lynels already.

Main reason I didn't rank 4 my Soldier's outfit asap, was because my Lynel parts were going towards other things first.

Also, Rank 4 is totally worth it unless you happen to prefer taking more damage. It's a HUGE jump in defense power. Stuff like Hylian or Rito goes from 12 to 20 defense, which means just two piece of any rank 4 armor you want is better than a full set of most rank 3 armor. Makes a big difference when you've been too lazy to hunt down lizards to upgrade your sand boots.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 6, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really appreciate that this soundtrack doesn't bombard you with familiar themes. There are a few here and there, subtly woven into other songs, but for the most part, this soundtrack largely does its own thing. It makes you appreciate the music for what it is. And it makes finally hearing this feel like a goddamn reward.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Maple Leaf posted:

I pulled all the sounds from here. e: not to imply that I ripped them from the game myself, I just downloaded them.

And when I say "all the sounds," I mean all of them.

Holy poo poo. Thanks!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RFX posted:

On the topic of armor upgrading, don't neglect that Champion's Tunic. It has the highest defense of any single piece of armor and seeing enemy HP also means you can see some hidden enemies (because you see their HP meters) and farther-away enemies. (Also it looks neat!)

It takes dragon horn shards to upgrade but once you learn how predictable those things are it becomes one of the easiest pieces to upgrade.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

alternately the champions tunic has an obnoxious colour and cant be dyed so never use it like me

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Actually the champion's tunic is the one that looks cool and is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Actually the champion's tunic is the one that looks cool and is rad.

:yeah:

Honestly I really like the standard, what-he-wears-on-the-cover look for Link in this game. Champion's Tunic, Hylian Trousers, and earrings so he can look like he isn't wearing a hat. Or the Hylian Hood sometimes because it's also nice. I like it as much as the classic green look, easily, and better than most iterations of that.