Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Orange would clash with the harlequin scheme, so I'm trying to limit it and stick with the Teal/Blue/Red/Yellow colors I have now.

I considered spoke skins but they don't have teal spokes, and that might be Too Much.

When I change this vinyl later this year/whenever I get bored, I'll probably go full retard with orange, don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Needs an orange or brown or something towards the back somewhere.

Orrrrr paint half the wheels orange?
Or maybe just the spokes?

Coydog posted:

Orange would clash with the harlequin scheme, so I'm trying to limit it and stick with the Teal/Blue/Red/Yellow colors I have now.

I considered spoke skins but they don't have teal spokes, and that might be Too Much.

When I change this vinyl later this year/whenever I get bored, I'll probably go full retard with orange, don't worry.

Spoke skins with your existing teal/blue/red/yellow.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Coydog posted:

That yellow isn't visible enough from the side. Yellow pinstripe following the curve of the rim, like whitewalls but on the rim instead of the tire.

edit: revision. Yellow back, teal front.

TheNothingNew fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 31, 2017

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
Finally got this home today. Looks like it is in better shape than I thought it would be for not having been started for 8 years. Checked the gas tank and the gas is bad, but still in liquid form with no rust. Tires are shot. Going to try charging battery and see if it will hold a charge but figure I need to replace that too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

TheNothingNew posted:

That yellow isn't visible enough from the side. Yellow pinstripe following the curve of the rim, like whitewalls but on the rim instead of the tire.

edit: revision. Yellow back, teal front.

With the bars straight, the yellow is much more prominent, but I was already appreciative of what you were suggesting. That mock up, though? :hellyeah: Thanks for that. I was leaning towards that, but half the ring in one color, half in another.

front: Yellow|Red
rear: Blue|Teal

Or some other combo? I think it's understated enough to carry the design without being too flashy. Not sure if vinyl curves like that, though. :/

builds character posted:

Spoke skins with your existing teal/blue/red/yellow.

What if I just vinyl wrapped a tool tube in those colors?

Seriously, I think that might be overpowering in color, but I am gonna call to see if I can get a 4 color combo pack since they just added teal.
Look how bold it is, when the bike isn't. Won't it be too much?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Orrrrr paint half the wheels orange?

The SMC with these wheels is what made me love KTM and the 690 in the first place years ago, no lie. Someday...

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
you know dropping $1200+ on those wheels is in the budget. They'll let you go tubeless!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

With the bars straight, the yellow is much more prominent, but I was already appreciative of what you were suggesting. That mock up, though? :hellyeah: Thanks for that. I was leaning towards that, but half the ring in one color, half in another.

front: Yellow|Red
rear: Blue|Teal

Or some other combo? I think it's understated enough to carry the design without being too flashy. Not sure if vinyl curves like that, though. :/

What if I just vinyl wrapped a tool tube in those colors?

Seriously, I think that might be overpowering in color, but I am gonna call to see if I can get a 4 color combo pack since they just added teal.
Look how bold it is, when the bike isn't. Won't it be too much?

The SMC with these wheels is what made me love KTM and the 690 in the first place years ago, no lie. Someday...

I don't know but they're cheap and easy to put on/off so why not experiment? You can do quarters or every other or etc.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Making rim strips turned out to be a fantastic idea. Looks great. I promise I'll stop with the vinyl now. This is the last thing I needed to do, for now.

builds character posted:

I don't know but they're cheap and easy to put on/off so why not experiment? You can do quarters or every other or etc.

Good point. I'll look into it.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Coydog posted:

Making rim strips turned out to be a fantastic idea. Looks great. I promise I'll stop with the vinyl now. This is the last thing I needed to do, for now.

I luv ur bike.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Coydog posted:

Oh my god.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I think the rims might be overkill but who cares. That poo poo looks crazy good anyway.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Coydog posted:

Oh poo poo yes.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Coydog posted:

Goddamn that's pretty!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Coydog posted:

thats a nice bike

for a clown to ride

to the circus

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

EX250 Type R posted:

thats a nice bike

for a clown to ride

to the circus

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Some people don't understand what supermoto means.

Your color scheme rules, even though i only see like 3 of em. :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

Some people don't understand what supermoto means.

Your color scheme rules, even though i only see like 3 of em. :(

Blue is the one you can't see, right? What color does it blend with for you?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Edit: moved to the bike recommendation thread

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 2, 2017

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
Dumb question time - how does one get all of the gas out of a gas tank? I took the tank off the bike, removed the fuel petcock and I can still hear gas sloshing around in the tank. If I turn it and twist it a bit I can get a few extra drops out but seems like there should be a better way.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bogieman posted:

Dumb question time - how does one get all of the gas out of a gas tank? I took the tank off the bike, removed the fuel petcock and I can still hear gas sloshing around in the tank. If I turn it and twist it a bit I can get a few extra drops out but seems like there should be a better way.

Turning it upside down and shaking it doesn't help? Is it double walled with water or something in there?

edit: Have you tried fire?

EX250 Type R posted:

thats a nice bike

for a clown to ride

to the circus

nooo

Thanks for all the compliments, peeps! I really love it and can't stop looking at the whole thing. Half colors on the wheels makes really cool patterns at low speeds, too.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

Coydog posted:

Turning it upside down and shaking it doesn't help? Is it double walled with water or something in there?

edit: Have you tried fire?

nooo

Fire! Why didn't I think of that lol. That gas is so old, I am not sure it would even ignite anymore.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Blue is the one you can't see, right? What color does it blend with for you?

I can tell its bluish. Teal? beats me. logo/graphics/nose are red. tail is gray. fork guards lime green/yellow wheeltape gives me blue, red, gray, green(possibly yellow).

red could be a shifted dark orange too..

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bogieman posted:

Fill it with water right to the top, then drain it. Then you know that whatever's inside is water, not gas.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Bogieman posted:

Fire! Why didn't I think of that lol. That gas is so old, I am not sure it would even ignite anymore.

I just had a friend of mine burn 23 year old race gas on his driveway, so...

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Coydog posted:

Now do the whole thing again in retroreflective.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here4DaGangBang posted:

That would be so startling that people would probably t-bone him out of confusion because their brains couldn't process what they were seeing.

I know you already said, but what materials are you using for that and how much did it cost, coydog?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs0osMzTZQA

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Here4DaGangBang posted:

:aaaaa: I wish I could find sheets of this for future plans. The problem with vinyl, though, is that it's so cheap you want to make all sorts of things a reality RIGHT NOW.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That would be so startling that people would probably t-bone him out of confusion because their brains couldn't process what they were seeing.

I know you already said, but what materials are you using for that and how much did it cost, coydog?

Vinyl wrap. I already had the heat gun, so materials and the little vinyl wrap tools (which I didn't need) came to $80-$100. Going single color would probably be cheaper. I feel like it might even cost less than plastidip for the same job.

no, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr8Lk9l7pg8

Coydog fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 3, 2017

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Tusk case separator and crank puller, decent or poo poo?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yerok posted:

Tusk case separator and crank puller, decent or poo poo?

I've always found tusk everything to be exactly fine. It's never good or bad, just fine.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Does anyone happen to know what kind of connectors Ducati uses for their rear turn signals, specifically ones like this pigtail at CustomLED? https://www.customled.com/products/ducati-oem-turn-signal-connectors-2-wire-2

I'll be damned if I can find the mating connector to that thing. It is NOT a JST JWPF connector. I just wasted an hour digging around on DigiKey with no luck. Trying to make a couple of Y harnesses so I can run an integrated tail light + factory signals at the same time without hacking up the factory harness or clipping the connectors off the tail light and replacing them with PosiTaps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Check eastern beaver.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Found them on Cycle Terminal - I missed them the first time I checked there because I didn't scroll down far enough (doh). AMP Multi-lock 40-series.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Any tips on renting a bike in pigeon forge? Trying to decide between trailering or just renting. Ideally I'd get my wife to drop me off in the morning and have the dealer pick up the bike the next day sometime themselves to save me the hassle, but I dont want to set a whole pile of cash on fire. No dual sports or cruisers but otherwise am not picky.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is there a reason bicycle style final drive chain tensioners aren't a thing with motorcycles? Belt driven bikes have them, so why not chain driven ones?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They exist on bicycles to take up the slack when you shift. In general, belt drive bikes dont have tensioners as far as I know, nor are the axles adjustable.

They arent a thing on chain drive bikes because the chain does not move on and off of sprockets. Any stretch in the chain is taken up by moving the wheel back. The idea is to have the chain stay tight enough that its lateral play is not enough to derail the chain.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Holy poo poo think of the amount of weight we'd save if motorcycles had 5 or 6 different-sized sprockets on the rear wheel with a derailleur.

The disasters.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is there a reason bicycle style final drive chain tensioners aren't a thing with motorcycles? Belt driven bikes have them, so why not chain driven ones?

Dirt bikes, where you have more slack in the chain, have chain guards which make sure the chain goes on the sprocket (and protects it) and serve a similar purpose, no?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I have no idea about anything dirtbike related :goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I remember seeing a belt pulley tensioner on some Buell a long time ago. Or maybe it was just some kind of idler pulley?

They could probably make one for chains if they really wanted to. But the continually changing suspension geometry might make the engineering too tricky for them to do anything except groan "whoooo caaaaareesss" in an accountant's monotone.