Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, Behr wheels are only slightly harder than the rubber on the tires. Run Warp 9's, they're fine. I've seen bent steel rims, it can happen no matter the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Bicycle rims have been made out of aluminium for decades and you can take some pretty horrendous buckles out of them, I'm not sure why it would be any different for motorcycle rims with the right equipment.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

ought ten posted:

The knock on Warp9s is they bend easier than other brands. Not sure if that's because they're thinner or what.

I realized my front rim was warped when spokes started breaking. Never figured out when it happened. You can't bend aluminum rims back to shape from my understanding, so that meant buying a new wheel. Warp9 did throw in a free set of spokes when I did though.

That's pretty good, because spokes are most of the cost of a new wheel iirc

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
When I got my garbage XR200R like 70% of the spokes on the rear wheel were loose to the point of rattling. You don't even need all of them.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yerok posted:

When I got my garbage XR200R like 70% of the spokes on the rear wheel were loose to the point of rattling. You don't even need all of them.

Yeah, only the ones that are holding the hub up.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The spokes that were tight were working pretty hard but shockingly none of them were broken. Truly a testament to the XR series' reliability.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

Yerok posted:

The spokes that were tight were working pretty hard but shockingly none of them were broken. Truly a testament to the XR series' reliability.

Probably just causing a heap of excessive fatigue stress on the rim and would've ended up with the rim cracking eventually.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Don't know where else to post this link, but it needed to be posted.

Yamaha YZ250 Dirt Bike sound effects library

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

International SuperMoto ride day today! Weather was dog poo poo and raining on and off, but it didn't stop a group of 50 of us getting out in the twisties and pushing a bit harder than maybe we should have. Had an awesome time, and I'm already in the process of getting some leathers for my first track day at the end of the month.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
First track time on the new sumo. poo poo's lit.

I only got in 1 1/2 sessions unfortunately (ran out of gas the first time out :doh:), but the bike ran great, the front pushed a little bit, and I got passed by a 9 year old. A really loving fast 9 year old named Rossi, but still. Still need to sort out that messy catch can, get a crankcase breather catch can, and finish up the rest of my safety wire drilling, and at some point I'll swap in fork springs and drop it about an inch.

Also attention WA moto bros: A SECOND MX TRACK HAS HIT HORN RAPIDS

click for huge

It's right next to the kart track and looks pretty awesome. There's the regular outer ring track, and the inner ring is a pretty gnarly arenacross-style track.

Edit: oh yeah, here's that Rossi kid's new race bike. I talked to his dad for a bit, and he apparently won his class in a new Juniors mini-racing series on it. Their next race is in May.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 16, 2017

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally found an image of me on the supermoto in someone else's action cam footage. Apparently all the hobby photographers on facebook race the same classes I do.

I finished 4th in Asphalt-only(slow group) and Novice. Gotta git gud.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I just unloaded my truck after the 1st mini supermoto race weekend of the year

It rained from like 10pm saturday night until well into sunday night so the racing sunday afternoon was incredible. Huge ruts down into the clay, filled with water, making a clay slurry. It was insanity on two wheels. I kept trying to crush the table top but between dodging the ruts and potholes and the slippery clay making my rear wander all over the place , I could never manage much air.

Due to the weather, attendance was low, so the racing was shortened and classes consolidated. I only raced mini supermoto but I came in 2nd over all, first in my class out of 5 total. I was nipping at the heels of 1st, a KX85 bored to 103? or something along those lines, the whole race right through to the finish. If I had another lap or two I might have been able to stick a pass on him. I made a move on lap two but he got by me. I NEARLY got by him on the last lap coming out of the dirt but lost traction in the mess and he got back ahead on the inside turning back on to the pavement.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

I just unloaded my truck after the 1st mini supermoto race weekend of the year

It rained from like 10pm saturday night until well into sunday night so the racing sunday afternoon was incredible. Huge ruts down into the clay, filled with water, making a clay slurry. It was insanity on two wheels. I kept trying to crush the table top but between dodging the ruts and potholes and the slippery clay making my rear wander all over the place , I could never manage much air.

Due to the weather, attendance was low, so the racing was shortened and classes consolidated. I only raced mini supermoto but I came in 2nd over all, first in my class out of 5 total. I was nipping at the heels of 1st, a KX85 bored to 103? or something along those lines, the whole race right through to the finish. If I had another lap or two I might have been able to stick a pass on him. I made a move on lap two but he got by me. I NEARLY got by him on the last lap coming out of the dirt but lost traction in the mess and he got back ahead on the inside turning back on to the pavement.

post video.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

That thing looks neat.

What the heck is going on with all the lines running to the bottle up front? I don't know supermoto atall.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

doesn't exist. Haven't seen any of my gopros since I moved several months ago :/

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

shacked up with Brenda posted:

That thing looks neat.

What the heck is going on with all the lines running to the bottle up front? I don't know supermoto atall.

It looks sexy as hell and thats a catch can to keep fluids off the track when he dumps it

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's a flask he converted to catch can for lots of fluids. You need a catch can so the track stays clear in the event of spill or overflow. He removed it and used a different type of catch can because he isn't cool, and hates good things.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

:swoon: That looks like a lot of fun. Rad bike.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I went away from the flask catch can to an RC airplane fuel tank ziptied to the swingarm. There just aren't a lot of good mounting points for catch cans on a dirt bike.

Here's a poorly uploaded video of the Novice main. I take the lead when the faster guys take the first corner too hot, but I start getting passed at 2 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5ZoaCBsPg

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 16, 2017

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Sold my 21/18 DRZ wheel set today, preparing for the inevitable sale of the bike. Now I have a little more negotiating room I guess :smith:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

I went away from the flask catch can to an RC airplane fuel tank ziptied to the swingarm. There just aren't a lot of good mounting points for catch cans on a dirt bike.

Here's a poorly uploaded video of the Novice main. I take the lead when the faster guys take the first corner too hot, but I start getting passed at 2 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5ZoaCBsPg

This is good. How'd you feel about how you did/thoughts on the race?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I felt pretty good, but my line for corners 2-3 needs the most work, and I should've stuck with the outside line in the dirt because I think it's slightly faster. Also wish I worked harder in practice to rut the kickers, because that poo poo was waay too harsh.

I think I can brake later and just be smoother as well, I was riding on PP 2CTs vs slicks on almost every other bike, still not sure my suspension and tire pressure is dialed in, yada yada, It's my third race so there's plenty of room for improvement. I had a blast, though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
How do you possibly get traction in the dirt on slicks--- And then, not have terrible traction on tarmac when your slicks are covered in dirt?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Um, basically, you don't get traction on the dirt, you're counting on momentum to keep you going kinda. Dirt cleans off really quick once you're back on tarmac though. Our sumo track is hard packed clay for the "dirt" and it's not bad, slippery but fun. I can spend the entire 80m dirt stretch (straight) sideways if I really open it up on the 690, good times.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A lot of dudes run tires with siping on the rear, which increases their traction from "nearly non-existent" to "flintstoneing it for drive"

Traction is good enough for the hardpack stuff we ride on, though. I rely on momentum and berms to keep me in line and moving quickly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You get a surprising amount of grip if the dirt is dry. When it's mud, or even dry-ish clay, it's usually out the window.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I know better (I'd prefer to actually ride vs. loving with cooked starters and the other typical RXV/SXV bullshit), but for $3600 this is pretty goddamned tempting:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6154612685.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Step 1): buy RXV
2) stick a ninja 650 motor in it
3) sell stock motor and recoup money on the incredibly slim chance the stock motor runs
4) profit (probably not, but maybe break even)
5) enjoy a reliable bike with top notch suspension and brakes

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

I know better (I'd prefer to actually ride vs. loving with cooked starters and the other typical RXV/SXV bullshit), but for $3600 this is pretty goddamned tempting:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6154612685.html

Don't buy it. From the reading I've done, you really want one that's had the engine gone over by some RXV guru and, more importantly, has the new head gasket.

My number for one of those is 2k. I doubt I'll see it in time for them to not be all rusted pieces of junk or collectors items, but at that price I could justify everything to myself.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
haven't heard anything about new head gaskets - the 07s had issues with bad sealant if that's what you're talking about, but that particular issue was fixed 08 and up (look for a motor with black sealant, not orange). They have other problems though, namely starters going bad/getting cooked, and it looks like this dude's already run into the issue at least once since the ad lists a new starter and sprag assembly.

The starters are so bad that Aprilia won't warranty the part - even if you order a brand new one and it shows up DOA, you can't return it for a refund. People have taken to buying WR450 starters and swapping the Aprilia end caps onto them

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

haven't heard anything about new head gaskets - the 07s had issues with bad sealant if that's what you're talking about, but that particular issue was fixed 08 and up (look for a motor with black sealant, not orange). They have other problems though, namely starters going bad/getting cooked, and it looks like this dude's already run into the issue at least once since the ad lists a new starter and sprag assembly.

The starters are so bad that Aprilia won't warranty the part - even if you order a brand new one and it shows up DOA, you can't return it for a refund. People have taken to buying WR450 starters and swapping the Aprilia end caps onto them

So, when's your wr450 starter arriving?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

How is that even a thing, or remotely acceptable?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

It's so loving fast.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

LOL Italian engineering.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

Listen buddy the bike is perfectly fine as long as you replace a known bad part constantly that the factory won't stand behind until you get sick of it and upgrade to a Yamaha part.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Listen buddy the bike is perfectly fine as long as you replace a known bad part constantly that the factory won't stand behind until you get sick of it and upgrade to a Yamaha part.

I didn't know Yamaha made replacement doohickies

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What's the best option for strapping camping equipment to a wr250x?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Roc straps on the tail. Under the the plastic you can easily get to the rear subframe and it's perfect. I had a spiffy tail rack on mine, but doing it with just the subframe worked so well I wish I'd just done that all along. Put down a cloth if you are afraid of scuffing your tail plastic with the gear.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's awesome, thanks. I was considering a rack but they all look expensive. I'll try strapping everything like that first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I've done a bunch of sumo camping but on a 690. I ran cases on a rack but the weight isn't worth the utility. The best balance I found was mounting my heavy poo poo perpendicular, using the grab handles to mount 2' bars as a platform. Then I put clothes in a backpack and used it as a backrest from time to time.

How long are you going? It's easier if you have friends to distribute tools and cooking gear.

• Locked thread