Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

drawn to death is extremely bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Real hurthling! posted:

drawn to death is extremely bad

90's Good Bad or Bad Bad?

Like where does it fall on the Jaffe scale?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

I mean, as much as stereotypical portrayals can be bad and can set things back, I feel like portrayal of stereotypes as acceptable, good people in society is still a stepping stone.

"Blaxsploitation" as an umbrella genre, contained plenty of films that reinforced stereotypes in a negative way. The term "Blaxsploitation" was coined by Junius Griffin, who was executive director of the Hollywood branch of the NAACP in 1972. He argued that these films exploited black culture and warped children's minds with violence and cultural lies. But at the same time, the existence of the economic powerhouse of the blaxsploitation genre paved the way for black film makers and created opportunities for black actors and actresses that would not have existed without that stepping stone. The Black Panthers embraced blaxsploitation films that showed strong willed black characters. James Earl Jones said "even the black exploitation movie has a role to play. The groups trying to cancel these movies are fighting a losing battle. I think there is a call for such movies. The black image is in a state of creation."

That's paraphrased from Allyson Field's L.A. Rebellion: Creating a New Black Cinema

But I feel like the portrayal of gay and lesbian characters in television has been following a similar trajectory from exoticism, to exploitation, to real acceptance. Trans acceptance is lagging behind, but I hope that it catches up quickly.

Agreed! (Also the LA Rebellion was really rad)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

I never watched Will and Grace, or a whole lot of 90s TV, but I was counting it in the "stereotype" column by reputation. Dawson and Buffy both did gay and lesbian (respectively) primary cast characters around the same time in the late 90s/early 00s. I'm sure they weren't the only ones to do it in that time period. There are much earlier outliers too: I know that Golden Girls did at least one episode about lesbian acceptance in season 2 (1986). I think they did more later, but I'm only halfway through season 3 right now, so I haven't gotten to them yet. It's still different from having a primary cast member though.

Fuckin' All in the Family did an episode about it in the Nixon years. It made Nixon very upset.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's been a long learning process. I remember the chatter during that show's run about Jack being a total stereotype, but still valuable because there were so few examples of representation that were on network TV every week.

It's like how Queer Eye for the Straight Guy was such a big thing but now that Netflix wants to remake it everyone is rolling their eyes

The entire show was basically nothing but dumb, ignorant gay stereotypes every 2 seconds, but despite being shallow fools, the gay characters were still human and meant to be empathized with(as opposed to the leather-clad rapists of early 80s comedies), and part of the central cast instead of just being Very Special Episode guest stars, so it was definitely a mixed bag.

And I've never not rolled my eyes are Queer Eye for the Straight guy.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Agnostalgia posted:

Goddammit, next Persona game I'm naming my character Frank or something instead of a japanese name. First game I named him Ryuji, then restarted when I found out that's the name of this game's first party member so I restarted and named him Makoto. I'm way to far in to restart now that Makoto's been introduced as an NPC, guess I'm just going to be confused from now on.

I usually just look up whatever they're called in the manga/anime. I solved the murders in Inaba as Yu Narukami and am now stealing hearts as Akira Kurusu.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Its boring. That's how bad.

Lurdiak posted:

Does Will and Grace count as a step forward or a step back?

Its tough, they may be stereotypes for but for its time it was progressive and was explicitly one of the shows I saw cited as an example of getting the public more comfortable with gay rights.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The entire show was basically nothing but dumb, ignorant gay stereotypes every 2 seconds, but despite being shallow fools, the gay characters were still human and meant to be empathized with(as opposed to the leather-clad rapists of early 80s comedies), and part of the central cast instead of just being Very Special Episode guest stars, so it was definitely a mixed bag.
Yeah, I think it's why it's kind of sad how Persona handles some of that stuff, I got some incredulous responses when I mentioned that Persona 4 wasn't trashy about its handling of gender and sexuality, which on further thinking, were certainly warranted. Like, it does send the message that you can be outside traditional norms of masculinity or femininity without being gay, but actually being gay is still presented as something purely to laugh at. I hear that 5 is the same way

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Viewtiful Jew posted:

its like a very bad shooter with very bad art and very bad writing

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Also in other Tetris related news the company shot down a proposal from Arika for a new Grandmaster title.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't understand, what do these companies think they have to gain from this poo poo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance's graphics hold up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, I hadn't thought anything weird about the translation in Persona 5 when watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look, but after all these posts about it, actually playing through those parts it sounds and reads differently to me now. Social media is a curse

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ks1o-y8YWk

i can't tell whether the lovely galidor gba game i owned when i was 5 had a terrible soundtrack or a great one

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, I hadn't thought anything weird about the translation in Persona 5 when watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look, but after all these posts about it, actually playing through those parts it sounds and reads differently to me now. Social media is a curse

a lot of the lines people bring up need polishing but definitely seem like they wouldn't stick out as much when you're not really paying that much attention, it could be touched up a bit but at it's definitely better than the real bad examples of localization i can think of

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 6, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snak posted:

That's paraphrased from Allyson Field's L.A. Rebellion: Creating a New Black Cinema
*adds to To Read list*

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
10 Second Ninja was surprisingly fun. The weird score attack levels are surrounded by a really, really odd plot, though it's short enough that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Spoiler: The bad guy has an existential crisis over the fact that he can't use his pithy one-liners on a mute. And it gets weirder from there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Raxivace posted:

*adds to To Read list*

Killer of Sheep is a really good film, if that's in your wheelhouse

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

10 Second Ninja was surprisingly fun. The weird score attack levels are surrounded by a really, really odd plot, though it's short enough that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

PS4 or PC?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Killer of Sheep is a really good film, if that's in your wheelhouse
I've been meaning to watch that for the longest time, actually. Charles Burnett is one of my bigger blindspots from that era.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Snak posted:

PS4 or PC?

PS4, it was free this month on Vita with crossbuy I think.

Titan Souls is also pretty cool, and I have no idea when TorqueL came out but it makes me laugh really hard, like someone combined Patapon and QWOP.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

anime.jpg

audio cd of animal ears german shepherd man talking sexy to you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That does deserve two exclamation points tbh

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

anime.jpg

audio cd of animal ears german shepherd man talking sexy to you

anime brought you into this world and so too shall it take you out, sayeth the lord

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Hello friendly goons, do any of you have some opinions on gender that you'd like to share here in the games chat thread?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Adam Bowen posted:

Hello friendly goons, do any of you have some opinions on gender that you'd like to share here in the games chat thread?

Gender is the weirdest social construct

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't want to stop playing Persona 5.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
link can be a girl

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't want to stop playing Persona 5.

That's a valid gender

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Genders are real and my friends

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I think Gender is pretty cool

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everyone, I played a lot of the new shovel knight campaign and have enjoyed it a lot. Thanks to this, today was a relatively good day, especially in comparison to yesterday. I hope everyone else has a good day today, and a good day tomorrow as well.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi everyone, I played a lot of the new shovel knight campaign and have enjoyed it a lot. Thanks to this, today was a relatively good day, especially in comparison to yesterday. I hope everyone else has a good day today, and a good day tomorrow as well.

thanks for that

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Great!

I just spent a while being the world's greatest baseball player in Hitman, and had a lot of fun! :black101: <-- Like this but with a baseball bat

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

FirstAidKite posted:

Specter of Torment is good. And easier to get into than Plague of Shadows. Shovel Knight is good, ya'll.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Training posted:

Alright see y'all in May

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Adam Bowen posted:

There are only 2 genders

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
im picky about my pokemons' genders, for example my aegislash has to be a boy because it's my buddy's spirit animal

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm excited that Dishonored 2 is going to be F2P this weekend so that I will have a game to talk about in April.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna wait til it's on sale for £15 rather than just play through the first couple of levels for free.
Then again that's probably all I'd do if I bought it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Use heart on every NPC and enemy, there are like a million lines of dialogue.

• Locked thread