Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They could focus on Kanna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's so harsh how you can just see Kobayashi's mind racing through a million questions and assumptions and emotions and she absolutely can't deal at all

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Give me the Elma show

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Raenir Salazar posted:

They could focus on Fafnir.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Lu...Lucoa, maybe?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bring on the Iruru arc :gibs: (with appropriate changes).

The hot springs trip chapter would also be a decent standalone for an ova.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 6, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Apparently the OVA is the hot springs and also the Valentine's chapters? Which seems like a bit of a weird fit TBH. It's the one where Tohru tries to spike Kobayashi's valentine's chocolate with a love potion and gets owned, which I'm not sure really fits Tohru's character anymore if this is set after the finale. We'll see how it goes, though.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I'm fine for this being the end. There really isn't much left for a season 2 any time soon. They could certainly revisit it in the future but I expect it to be a long ways off. The finale was better than what I hoped, it was easily my favourite episode. Absolutely no regrets, would tear up about pictures of feet again.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Command Ant posted:

Hell, when she came back, I almost expected it to be Kobayashi dreaming, and I kept bracing for the part when she woke up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I'd watch an entire series of Kobayashi Kanna's school life with her friends Saikawa and Shouta. Of course, her two mommies would make the occasional appearance.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Apparently the OVA is the hot springs and also the Valentine's chapters? Which seems like a bit of a weird fit TBH. It's the one where Tohru tries to spike Kobayashi's valentine's chocolate with a love potion and gets owned, which I'm not sure really fits Tohru's character anymore if this is set after the finale. We'll see how it goes, though.

I wouldn't expect it to be set after the finale

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

My first thought went to Persona 4's shadow selves more than anything

Anyways, that was a great finale to a great show. Probably my 2nd favorite of the season next to Demi-Chan

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Aurora posted:

Give me the Elma show

Elma show is a cooking anime except it's all desserts.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

anime of the year

we've had some incredibly good and powerful shows this season, it's incredible

but yeah, we don't need an s2, unless kyoani comes with a better script than s1 (I'm not holding my breath)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

QuantaStarFire posted:

Elma show is a cooking anime except it's all desserts.

elma show is wakakozake except it's all desserts and less alcohol and she doesn't go "pshuuuuuuuu"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

at the end of the series, the order dragon destroys kobayashi's world because it has too many temptations

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nuebot posted:

God drat that was a good ending. I'm joining the "doesn't need a second season" camp because they ended it on a pretty perfect note and I don't think they could really add more to it unless they got really creative and didn't actually focus on Kobayashi and Tohru.

I think it really depends on the material in the manga as to what sort of shape a second season would look like. It could and probably should continue to focus on Kobayashi and Tohru, but instead of them as individuals, them as a couple and their (slightly strange) family. The fact that they adopt another dragon would make the theme of family a likelier possibility.

Edit: A spin-off manga focusing on Kanna apparently started at the end of December.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 6, 2017

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
This series was as good as I could have hoped for and the ending was very :3:

Now for the OVA I hope they bring Iruru in just for the hands joke because that was actually one of the best jokes in the manga.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ok but what if, them exchanging valentines chocolate without the love potion

e:its right there in the PV lol

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 6, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Negrostrike posted:

Lu...Lucoa, maybe?

I'm unironically in love with Lucoa's VA in this show and would watch 13 24 minute episodes of just her talking

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
OVA Preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izsulk-clBE

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Now that I'm home and in front of a keyboard, GODDAMN that was about as good as I could imagine. This is the first time in a while I watched a final episode of a show that I loved and felt sated. Like, as much as I would want 50 more seasons of Maid Dragon, I could live with that ending. I'll chime in with everyone else, the handling of Kobayashi after Tohru leaves was loving amazing, and it's the most emotion I've felt in an anime in quite a while, mostly because it caught me off guard. I don't think I have much to say about it that hasn't been said, but it's my clear frontrunner for AOTY, and it'd take a marvelous piece of art to unseat it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The glorious ending has left me quite depressed now that I think of it. To think that Kobayashi and Tohru's days are ultimately numbered, and to be reminded of it, is deeply saddening no matter how joyous the ending seems right now.

Wouldn't you feel eternally hollow after losing your long-term loved one, knowing that your cherished times together are now forever past, leaving a husk of a future ahead?

I can't be feeling too sentimental now, right?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Ya ok, I'm hype

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
In a shocking twist ending to the valentines arc, Tohru decides she doesn't need the love potion and Koba gets drunk and handsy like usual

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

In a shocking twist ending to the valentines arc, Tohru decides she doesn't need the love potion and Koba gets drunk and handsy like usual

Definitely the outcome I'm rooting for

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This was basically the ideal ending. Kobayashi is one of the more subtle, better realized characters I've seen in anime in a long time.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This show, it was cute and good.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Grouchio posted:

The glorious ending has left me quite depressed now that I think of it. To think that Kobayashi and Tohru's days are ultimately numbered, and to be reminded of it, is deeply saddening no matter how joyous the ending seems right now.

Wouldn't you feel eternally hollow after losing your long-term loved one, knowing that your cherished times together are now forever past, leaving a husk of a future ahead?

Imagine a montage of Kobayashi growing old with an eternally young Tohru at her side as Queen's "Who wants to live forever?" plays.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Command Ant posted:

Imagine a montage of Kobayashi growing old with an eternally young Tohru at her side as Queen's "Who wants to live forever?" plays.
Naw eat this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXcV6dOMUZs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Command Ant posted:

I feel like that, with all of that magical power there has to be at least one dragon that would know how to keep a human alive (and possibly eternally young) forever.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

DisDisDis posted:

I'm unironically in love with Lucoa's VA in this show and would watch 13 24 minute episodes of just her talking

I feel ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmh9AO0VT3Q&hd=1

"Gaooo~"

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like that, with all of that magical power there has to be at least one dragon that would know how to keep a human alive (and possibly eternally young) forever.

That's not really what dragons are for, they fight god and hoard treasure and breathe fire. Some day Kobayashi and Saikawa and Takiya and Shouta will all grow old and die and their dragon friends will be sad for a while and then move on with their lives, forever enriched by the love they shared.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grouchio posted:

I have some bad news about every human and partly-human relationship.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bad news about the entirety of human existence actually.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

That's not really what dragons are for, they fight god and hoard treasure and breathe fire. Some day Kobayashi and Saikawa and Takiya and Shouta will all grow old and die and their dragon friends will be sad for a while and then move on with their lives, forever enriched by the love they shared.

:yeah:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Grouchio posted:

maybe she should just become a dragon then

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm catching up since I was behind, and I'm losing it at how each time Tohru thinks back to Kobayashi saying to make good omurice, Kobayashi gets cooler.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I wish Kobayashi dropped her usual stoicness just a little...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Zeruel posted:

I wish Kobayashi dropped her usual stoicness just a little...

Honestly when Tohru came back, I wanted her to rush into a hug or like....something. She was pinballing to the door as it was already, so it wasn't like a stretch.

• Locked thread