Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Grittybeard posted:

So Swickles, what type of poo poo might put you in Neurosurgical ICU with an 'undiagnosed illness?'

I ask because Kyle Oksposo (Sabres RW) is apparently there and that seems like a terrifying place to be.

Kuru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
For real though, I have seen loads of heartbreak in the hospital. A father literally took a bullet for his son during a home invasion, got shot in the jaw and it hosed up his face real bad. At least both survived. Have also seen mothers die during childbirth, or the baby not make it, those are particularly hard. Normally, if you make it to a trauma center with vital signs, your chances of survival are really really good. If you arrive with a pulse and are completely conscience, the odds of survival are even better. Still, its always the ones that say "I'm dying" that end up dead, its weird, like they know for sure and this is their last utterance. Once had a guy come in after a motorcycle accident completely awake and aware. Start screaming that he was dying, he clearly needed surgery so we sent him to the OR. Controlled the abdominal injuries, but had major bleeding in the pelvis. The pelvis is a really hard area to access surgically, so usually we pack them full of pads to help clotting, then send them to the angio suite in radiology, where they embolize to control the bleeding. Anyways, this guy was fully conscience, put him under for surgery, which he survived but ultimately crashed and died in angio. That was a tough one. But one of the hardest cases ever was a trauma one I worked a while back, I was still a student at the time, but a senior so they let/trusted me to do more than usual. Anyway, we normally don't get a lot of backstory with the patients when they come in, usually its figured out later from either the patient, the family, or even the press. We get a patient thats been shot and we go to work. The presence of police sometimes helps inform us of the nature of how the injury was sustained too. This story was remarkable because the fighting involved managed to spill over into the resus bay (where we do the initial evaluation and make the decision to send straight to the OR, or off for testing to see if surgery is necessary). Anyways, a young kid comes in, looked to be 17 or 18 (later found out 19, still, he looked super young) after an assault. He was worked over real good, this was no fight, it was a beating. Like 12 seconds after he is rolled through the doors, they burst open with some guy and police in tow. Apparently this guy was the one who put him in that state, but the police didn't know it and were only pursuit because he was bursting into what should be a secure area (since we get a lot of shooting/stabbing victims, plus we handle the prison population, we have a full time police and sheriff presence aside from hospital security). Anyways, it turns out this guy was the father of the beaten dudes girlfriend, who was only 14 or 15. He was screaming at him for being a pedophile and deserved death and all kinds of things you expect to hear from a father whose daughter has been raped. The police manage to subdue the guy and take him elsewhere, not sure if he was ever charged or arrested. Keep in mind that in a trauma situation, you don't have time to learn all the facts and info, you just have what you have and need to make decisions based on that. At this time we had a kid looked to be about the same age as the girl he was dating, so there wasn't any judgement to be made. Anyways, we work on the kid and he is fully awake the entire time, we don't think there is internal bleeding, just the external cuts made from not a knife, but some rough, blunt metal, maybe like a crowbar edge or something. Eventually we realize the problem (a clotting factor deficiency combined with what was likely a pulmonary hemorrhage. He goes from ok to poo poo in seconds, he is struggling to breath and clearly about to die. He is trying to say something, maybe anything, just so he has some last words. I took off his oxygen mask and leaned in, asking him what he was trying to say. Through bloody breath, he spoke those words I will remember forever, the last words of some poor teenager beaten to death by his girlfriends father: "Actually it's called ephebophilia and..." And with that, he was gone.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Swickles that's the best goddamn thing I've ever read

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

So Swickles, what type of poo poo might put you in Neurosurgical ICU with an 'undiagnosed illness?'

I ask because Kyle Oksposo (Sabres RW) is apparently there and that seems like a terrifying place to be.

If its Neurosurgical (meaning there is a separate Neurological ICU as in large centers) then its likely something that's pending biopsy and pathology. It could also be any process that increases intracranial pressure and necessitates a drain and ICP monitoring. Standard encephalitis and meningitis would just be in the neuro ICU.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
holy poo poo Swickles

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hahahahahahaha

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
:laffo:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, goddamnit.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

swickles posted:

For real though, I have seen loads of heartbreak in the hospital. A father literally took a bullet for his son during a home invasion, got shot in the jaw and it hosed up his face real bad. At least both survived. Have also seen mothers die during childbirth, or the baby not make it, those are particularly hard. Normally, if you make it to a trauma center with vital signs, your chances of survival are really really good. If you arrive with a pulse and are completely conscience, the odds of survival are even better. Still, its always the ones that say "I'm dying" that end up dead, its weird, like they know for sure and this is their last utterance. Once had a guy come in after a motorcycle accident completely awake and aware. Start screaming that he was dying, he clearly needed surgery so we sent him to the OR. Controlled the abdominal injuries, but had major bleeding in the pelvis. The pelvis is a really hard area to access surgically, so usually we pack them full of pads to help clotting, then send them to the angio suite in radiology, where they embolize to control the bleeding. Anyways, this guy was fully conscience, put him under for surgery, which he survived but ultimately crashed and died in angio. That was a tough one. But one of the hardest cases ever was a trauma one I worked a while back, I was still a student at the time, but a senior so they let/trusted me to do more than usual. Anyway, we normally don't get a lot of backstory with the patients when they come in, usually its figured out later from either the patient, the family, or even the press. We get a patient thats been shot and we go to work. The presence of police sometimes helps inform us of the nature of how the injury was sustained too. This story was remarkable because the fighting involved managed to spill over into the resus bay (where we do the initial evaluation and make the decision to send straight to the OR, or off for testing to see if surgery is necessary). Anyways, a young kid comes in, looked to be 17 or 18 (later found out 19, still, he looked super young) after an assault. He was worked over real good, this was no fight, it was a beating. Like 12 seconds after he is rolled through the doors, they burst open with some guy and police in tow. Apparently this guy was the one who put him in that state, but the police didn't know it and were only pursuit because he was bursting into what should be a secure area (since we get a lot of shooting/stabbing victims, plus we handle the prison population, we have a full time police and sheriff presence aside from hospital security). Anyways, it turns out this guy was the father of the beaten dudes girlfriend, who was only 14 or 15. He was screaming at him for being a pedophile and deserved death and all kinds of things you expect to hear from a father whose daughter has been raped. The police manage to subdue the guy and take him elsewhere, not sure if he was ever charged or arrested. Keep in mind that in a trauma situation, you don't have time to learn all the facts and info, you just have what you have and need to make decisions based on that. At this time we had a kid looked to be about the same age as the girl he was dating, so there wasn't any judgement to be made. Anyways, we work on the kid and he is fully awake the entire time, we don't think there is internal bleeding, just the external cuts made from not a knife, but some rough, blunt metal, maybe like a crowbar edge or something. Eventually we realize the problem (a clotting factor deficiency combined with what was likely a pulmonary hemorrhage. He goes from ok to poo poo in seconds, he is struggling to breath and clearly about to die. He is trying to say something, maybe anything, just so he has some last words. I took off his oxygen mask and leaned in, asking him what he was trying to say. Through bloody breath, he spoke those words I will remember forever, the last words of some poor teenager beaten to death by his girlfriends father: "Actually it's called ephebophilia and..." And with that, he was gone.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

lol

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Swickles owns

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Pin that post

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

:vince: good lord

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

LMFAO

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
you goddamned piece of poo poo

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/849347472518414337

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

God drat man

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

Mother of God. :boom:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Did you seriously see a lot of deaths? I worked at a big time level 1 trauma center that served several states and the only deaths I saw were a single stillborn and a dude who had drowned like an hour ago but they kept trying to revive him because of some law that said you had to try. I saw people completely hosed up that I thought there was no way for survival live. poo poo like a dude with half his body missing, a dude who took over a dozen bullets to the upper chest, a motorcycle crash where the bike flipped and pinned him between the bike and the wall.

I don't know what their quality of life was but I was there for a year and saw only two deaths.

Everyday was an experience in "holy poo poo medical science is crazy". Working there made me feel both completely fragile and also invulnerable.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That's a good post swickles.

Swick I got a nerve block in my arm around 3pm.

Arm is still totally useless. Hand is a little swollen.

Normal?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Swickles with the post of the year, goddamn

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Good morning men.

Let's have some bacon and eggs.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I only eat breakfast on weekends

Edit: there's a bagel shop in Houston which actually tastes like NYC bagels but apparently the secret is out and it's a 45 minute wait in line

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

That's a good post swickles.

Swick I got a nerve block in my arm around 3pm.

Arm is still totally useless. Hand is a little swollen.

Normal?

Depends on what local anesthetic they used in the block, along with whatever adjuncts they added in to make it last longer. A good block can go for 24 hours if you do it right. I am guessing the swollen hand is where you had surgery which is expected. Nothing to worry about unless its still doesn't work tomorrow.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Did you seriously see a lot of deaths? I worked at a big time level 1 trauma center that served several states and the only deaths I saw were a single stillborn and a dude who had drowned like an hour ago but they kept trying to revive him because of some law that said you had to try. I saw people completely hosed up that I thought there was no way for survival live. poo poo like a dude with half his body missing, a dude who took over a dozen bullets to the upper chest, a motorcycle crash where the bike flipped and pinned him between the bike and the wall.

I don't know what their quality of life was but I was there for a year and saw only two deaths.

Everyday was an experience in "holy poo poo medical science is crazy". Working there made me feel both completely fragile and also invulnerable.

I have seen loads of cases where people who look like they should die have lived and vice versa. I have seen deaths from shooting, both singular and multiple, falls/jumps, and electrocution. One guy got run over by a bus, had a tire tread across his chest and everything, he died in surgery. A fall from standing (as opposed to off a ladder) is usually referred to trauma, simply because a fall from standing usually occurs when someone passes out and they are more likely to hit there head while a fall off of a small height is usually accidental, but the person is awake and braces for the fall ending up with a broken arm/leg/foot/whatever, but no impact to the head. As a result we get quite a few mystery cases where someone happens upon an unconscious body with a pulse and it goes to us. Some of them live if we can quickly figure out why they are unconscious and fix it, but that's not always the case.

Luck plays a big factor too. I have seen someone get shot multiple times and have few actual injuries and I have seen a guy get hit once and die, simply because the bullet struck a surgically inaccessible area. They tried placing a shunt to go directly from the IVC in the right atria, but the running joke is that those always come with a Chaplin Consult because its a real Hail Mary.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bacon

drain 90% fat

sautee spinach and onions

wash out and dry, towel off, little bit of oil, scramble up some egg whites

one pan, minimal cleanup, good macros

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
gently caress you swickles that was amazing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

swickles posted:

:perfect:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

"Actually it's called

:five:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Blitz7x posted:

I only eat breakfast on weekends

Edit: there's a bagel shop in Houston which actually tastes like NYC bagels but apparently the secret is out and it's a 45 minute wait in line

I don't eat anything in the morning anymore (except on the weekends with my life) and everything about my health is way better. This man knows.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

swickles posted:

Awesomeness

This was such a great read, freakin' hilarious. You are making me miss my paramedic days and all the hours spent in the ER for clinicals :(

Also Fiz, you mentioned macros. I've been toying with the idea of starting to do the whole macro thing, but honestly it is intimidating and I feel like it would be stupid difficult. I'm sure it's not that bad and it's just getting used to weighing things, but you have any resources I can read or any advice on starting up on a macro plan?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I love eating a variety of macros...

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

quote:

Actually it's called ephebophilia

on my tombstone

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I just had a beautiful sunny side up egg Sammy on tomato basil bread breakfast.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

weird Asian candy posted:

Also Fiz, you mentioned macros. I've been toying with the idea of starting to do the whole macro thing, but honestly it is intimidating and I feel like it would be stupid difficult. I'm sure it's not that bad and it's just getting used to weighing things, but you have any resources I can read or any advice on starting up on a macro plan?
I'm assuming you already know the basics (i.e. only keep track of carbs, fat and protein)?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

swickles posted:

bless this post

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Eli Wiggum posted:

I'm assuming you already know the basics (i.e. only keep track of carbs, fat and protein)?

Yes. 40/40/20 (Protein/Carbs/Fat) seems to be the baseline, yea?

And I guess to spin off on that, in a macro diet, calories no longer matter? You hit your macro numbers and watch magic happen? :v:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
What would everyone's last meal be, mine would be a great grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

rear end

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

weird Asian candy posted:

Yes. 40/40/20 (Protein/Carbs/Fat) seems to be the baseline, yea?

And I guess to spin off on that, in a macro diet, calories no longer matter? You hit your macro numbers and watch magic happen? :v:

calories certainly still matter!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

calories certainly still matter!

That is my biggest intimidation. I have honed my eating in so I know exactly where I am at and how to portion stuff out, so it is daunting to think about starting over trying to re-figure out calories and now add macros onto it. I have heard The Renaissance Diet is a good book for this, can you c/d?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok.

All you have to do, is a poo poo ton of Cardio. Eat lean. Just eat a gently caress ton of veggies.

If that doesn't work.

Well I'm sorry you got hosed up genetics and nothing will help you.

• Locked thread