Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

idk what it is about the area between Pontiff and Aldritch but that's probably the most un-fun area in all of DS3, as in it's the most likely to make me go "ugh, alright that's enough DS3 for now". It's DS3's Tseldora.

Yeah you'd think the Farron Swamp would be it but somehow I'm mostly inured to its bullshit.

I just sprint the entire way and ignore it, especially now that Ringed City practically hands you RoF +3 on a silver platter. The only worthwhile thing is to go and grab the Easterner's Ashes at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

idk what it is about the area between Pontiff and Aldritch but that's probably the most un-fun area in all of DS3, as in it's the most likely to make me go "ugh, alright that's enough DS3 for now". It's DS3's Tseldora.

Yeah you'd think the Farron Swamp would be it but somehow I'm mostly inured to its bullshit.

That's like the best zone in the game though. Loads of cool stuff to nab, Silver Knights to fight, back-to-back Aldrich Faithful fights to spice things up, it's great. It's a massive online hotspot too so there's always something going on.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When I think "good game design" I think "let 2 players instantly invade and do janky-rear end PvP in this already difficult area" :frogout:

Of course, I'm never embered anyway. But I've made it a habit to throw myself off a cliff after Sulyvahn because gently caress that area and gently caress Dark Souls' "get backstabbed in the face from 30 yards away" PvP in general.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I think ascetics were a good idea, I just wish there had been 2 items to use, one for reviving the area and another for increasing the difficulty.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You have an item that lets you revive an area it's called a soapstone

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
RE: PVP chat;
I love reading the arguments that crop up between the super serious PVPers and anyone else. Like Ashen Flasks vs. any other form of recovery, or whether or not it's fair to throw a buff removal item at a guy instead of letting him apply five buffs like an honorable nerd.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Sapozhnik posted:

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean with the silver knights its a pretty tough area but the constant stream of multiple invaders makes it almost impossible solo unless you luck out and get a bunch of idiots. There's no reason to actually stay and fight rather than just rushing past everything, killing Aldritch, and then coming back for anything you need.

This is my favorite area in the game because I view it as a challenge run. There's always a few friendly phantoms right outside the pontiff door. I'll either summon one and do a duo run through and see if we can make it all the way through, or I'll finger, summon two or three, and do a crazy mode run and see how long it takes us to kill our way to the top. It's a blast every time. I probably only have about a 50% survival rate but there's always something memorable that happens (naked torch conga lines with 6+ people, crazy hour long melees and chases, the works). I've done it that way on every NG+ cycle on all my characters and the area is bumping right up through SL 200. The most fun I've had in Dark Souls aside from some crazy Spear of the Church fights recently.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Bombadilillo posted:

So abyss is good now? From a human perspective? From a "I'm going to usurp the fire" perspective?

It's a special thing for humans; "good" might be a stretch but it's completely toxic to everything without a dark soul (like Artorias) so it's a big deal. I always thought the DS1 DLC implied that it was the human afterlife, where your Humanity is supposed to go after you die, but because of the undead curse it has stopped working that way by the time the main game takes place, so if you're undead your Humanity just kind of plops out where you died. I've never heard any of the internet lore people say that though.

I always wondered if there was a larger meta point to that? Like all the fantasy gods and creatures have generic souls, but every character who is either played or at least voiced by a real human has a dark soul. But that doesn't 100% hold up under scrutiny either.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I haven't seen anyone else using or discussing the Ledo hammer. How come? It's a pretty fantastic weapon if you're willing to go all-in on strength.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Because the current STR meme sword is the dual ultra greatswords. Its kind of outshadowing it.
As far as Dark souls lore, i remember reading that there isnt supposed to directly be good or evil in this. Fire is the "good" but it more represents strength than anything. Dark is its opposite but its not directly evil, just the opposite of fire.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The only use of the word "good" to describe fire should be "good riddance" :colbert:

Usurpation ending is a fool's errand, you're still just clinging to the ideas put forth by the old Gods. The only good ending is to let the First Flame die quietly like it was supposed to many, many ages ago.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man a lot of people on the subreddit are butthurt about the nerfs to the angels and spears. People are legit convinced nearly non existent whining on the sub brought the nerfs. :rolleyes:

Spear nerfs probably suck but I don't get why people care so much that the angels got a damage nerf. Not like they're gone or anything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Obligatum VII posted:

I haven't seen anyone else using or discussing the Ledo hammer. How come? It's a pretty fantastic weapon if you're willing to go all-in on strength.

Next time I try PVP I might have to give it a whirl. Dual UGS are way too fun though and I like to think that out there someone's just getting really mad about it.

swamp waste posted:

It's a special thing for humans; "good" might be a stretch but it's completely toxic to everything without a dark soul (like Artorias) so it's a big deal. I always thought the DS1 DLC implied that it was the human afterlife, where your Humanity is supposed to go after you die, but because of the undead curse it has stopped working that way by the time the main game takes place, so if you're undead your Humanity just kind of plops out where you died. I've never heard any of the internet lore people say that though.

I always wondered if there was a larger meta point to that? Like all the fantasy gods and creatures have generic souls, but every character who is either played or at least voiced by a real human has a dark soul. But that doesn't 100% hold up under scrutiny either.

Wait, Artorias wasn't human?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the angel nerf speaks of the fear that FROM listens to stupid whiners when it comes to difficulty.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
If From listened to stupid whiners about difficulty, the angels would be even more dangerous

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get why they nerfed the angel versus the stupid respawning giants summoning a group of archers behind you when you're trying to kill them. gently caress up one roll and you get skewered by perfectly accurate arrows and die near instantly.

The Spear nerf is disappointing but unsurprising given how much this game coddles the host when it comes to invasions.

Nuebot posted:

Wait, Artorias wasn't human?

Gods are a literal race in Dark Souls, its not just a title. Artorias and the rest of Gwyn's knights are all part of the god species. They just look like taller humans but there's a pretty big lore difference between the two, as the gods viewed themselves as superior to humans.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why they nerfed the angel versus the stupid respawning giants summoning a group of archers behind you when you're trying to kill them. gently caress up one roll and you get skewered by perfectly accurate arrows and die near instantly.

Seriously. The angels were the least of my problems compared to the stupid giant, or the Ringed Knights who have block frames on half of their attacks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I forgot big of pieces of poo poo those assassin skeletons are in the catacombs. gently caress those things.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I bitched out and summoned help for end guy on my lovely cleric. Great fight. lol you can summon him to his own fight.

Iretep posted:

Because the current STR meme sword is the dual ultra greatswords. Its kind of outshadowing it.
As far as Dark souls lore, i remember reading that there isnt supposed to directly be good or evil in this. Fire is the "good" but it more represents strength than anything. Dark is its opposite but its not directly evil, just the opposite of fire.

It also weighs a ton and has a weird heavy attack and isn't the great club

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I forgot big of pieces of poo poo those assassin skeletons are in the catacombs. gently caress those things.

just use strike damage against them. it stuns them like any other skeleton.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I was walking down the large bridge to Lothric Castle proper, when out of no where 2 titanite chunks and 2 embers appeared on my screen. What happened? Did something fall to their death?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Node posted:

I was walking down the large bridge to Lothric Castle proper, when out of no where 2 titanite chunks and 2 embers appeared on my screen. What happened? Did something fall to their death?

Only thing I can think of is both of the Pus of Man-infected dragons dying at once. Sounds like a glitch.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Progression question:

Stopped playing this game at Lothric Castle last year due to burnout and Uncharted 4 release. I just picked up the 2 expansions thinking it would all work nicely since I was decently far but hadn't hit NG+.

What is the best order to experience the remaining content from the base game + expansions?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vermain posted:

Only thing I can think of is both of the Pus of Man-infected dragons dying at once. Sounds like a glitch.

The two at the Dragon Barracks? They're long since dead. Weird.

Does anything refer to those things as Pus of Man? I'm nearing the end of the game, but so far I haven't seen anything that calls those that.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It also weighs a ton and has a weird heavy attack and isn't the great club

The heavy attack is indeed weird, but the weapon art makes up for it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Iretep posted:

You witness the Dark ending's consequences when you go to Untended Graves. Its pretty tranquil. I'd say its a great ending!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

They're all the same guy. The boss giant in the spears fight; judicator argo.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think I'm going to just roll a new character and level up to the new DLC ala Dark Souls Farewell Tour.

I played Ashes, but just through one time. Is there any significant change in weapons/builds that would make for an interesting play through? I've done most everything, but I never really liked Miracle or Sorcery builds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kild posted:

They're all the same guy. The boss giant in the spears fight; judicator argo.

They're probably all illusions but it doesn't matter anyways. The point is they are obnoxious as hell and shouldn't respawn.

EDIT: Is there like an idiots guide to the curved sword moveset? People talk about how good they are at roll catching but I'm not seeing anything particularly amazing.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 6, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I've assumed for the longest time that the gods and humans actually aren't primordially different from each other, and the only thing separating them is that humans collectively hold the dark soul and Gwyn, holding the light soul, shared it with all the people he liked, creating the gods.

It still baffles me thinking about how Gwyn straight up must have given away most of his power by dividing his soul so many times and yet still had enough left in him to reignite the First Flame for a while. Like, that dude was a total badass in his prime, and maybe could have even solo'd the War of the Ancients.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trip report: paired greatswords are still pretty drat good in PVP, just not totally broken anymore. They take more stamina for an L1/L2, do less damage, and have less poise during those moves - but the character I was using them on has a shitload of poise, 35 END, and Chloranthy +3, so the downsides are mostly mitigated. They don't one-shot in a single combo anymore, but they'll still gently caress a dude up (or one-shot a caster build), and I've discovered the running L1 is great for roll catching.

I just wish they'd stop loving with infusion levels. I can't keep respeccing my characters when suddenly refined is the best, then sharp, then who knows what next week...

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Gologle posted:

It still baffles me thinking about how Gwyn straight up must have given away most of his power by dividing his soul so many times and yet still had enough left in him to reignite the First Flame for a while. Like, that dude was a total badass in his prime, and maybe could have even solo'd the War of the Ancients.
The fact that he couldn't speaks to the power of the Everlasting Dragons. It took the combined power of the bearers of all the souls (including the Dark Soul and the Abyss-tinged weaponry of the Ringed Knights) to wipe out the dragons, and they never even fully died out throughout the ages.

One thing that really bears further lore explanation is the whole Path of the Dragons. Why can humans become dragons? That entire faction is just weird, it's an ages-old cult of humans who follow the rules laid out by an ex-god who switched sides and they all think dragons are a thing to aspire toward being, and you can become one if you try hard enough. That's the hosed up part, their crazy religion totally works.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
All things considered Gwyn did a pretty lovely job of wiping out the dragons given how many of them are still around.

Nakar posted:

One thing that really bears further lore explanation is the whole Path of the Dragons. Why can humans become dragons? That entire faction is just weird, it's an ages-old cult of humans who follow the rules laid out by an ex-god who switched sides and they all think dragons are a thing to aspire toward being, and you can become one if you try hard enough. That's the hosed up part, their crazy religion totally works.

I dunno with how hosed up and lovely the dragon form is in DS3 I wouldn't call that working.

"Finally, I have acquired the power of a true dragon." *dies in one hit*

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvYApd_X3aU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I managed to beat the Four Kings after a few tries. The strategy I found online was to get as close as possible and get as many hits in as you can, since they can't hit as hard when you're right next to them. The Halberd wasn't working too well, but I upgraded the Black Knight Sword, so using that combined with the Grass Crest Shield and Green Blossom helped me make it through. It was still kind of dicey, though, since healing in-between hits is nerve-wracking.

I'm not really sure where to go or what to do next. I thought about trying the Painted World of Ariamis, but I'm not sure whether it's worth going through. I tried going to the Duke's Archive once before, but the boar killed me (I didn't know that it didn't have the exposed backside like the one in Undead Parish). I haven't visited Great Hollow or Ash Lake yet, and like the Painted World, I don't know if there's anything there worth getting.

I'm also not really sure where the DLC content is supposed to be, or whether or I should attempt it, since I've heard it's a lot more difficult.

Here are my current stats
code:
Vitality - 24
Attunement - 12
Endurance - 27
Strength - 26
Dexterity - 26
Resistance - 13
Intelligence - 10
Faith - 13
I'm using the Catarina Armor set, along with the Gold Serpent Ring and Havel's Ring. The main weapon I use is the Halberd, which I just upgraded to +15. I've upgraded the Longsword to +6, the Black Knight Sword to +5, and I've modified the Iaito with the Divine property (since I heard a Divine weapon is helpful for the Catacombs). I switch between shields depending on the situation, but the main one I'm using right now is the Silver Knight Shield +3.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I had the ancient wyvern spontaneously die on me while I was working my way up. I also teleported into Irythyll dungeons to find the camera stuck with a blurry filter.

There have been a lot of glitches showing up since the dlc dropped.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Max Wilco posted:

I managed to beat the Four Kings after a few tries. The strategy I found online was to get as close as possible and get as many hits in as you can, since they can't hit as hard when you're right next to them. The Halberd wasn't working too well, but I upgraded the Black Knight Sword, so using that combined with the Grass Crest Shield and Green Blossom helped me make it through. It was still kind of dicey, though, since healing in-between hits is nerve-wracking.

I'm not really sure where to go or what to do next. I thought about trying the Painted World of Ariamis, but I'm not sure whether it's worth going through. I tried going to the Duke's Archive once before, but the boar killed me (I didn't know that it didn't have the exposed backside like the one in Undead Parish). I haven't visited Great Hollow or Ash Lake yet, and like the Painted World, I don't know if there's anything there worth getting.

I'm also not really sure where the DLC content is supposed to be, or whether or I should attempt it, since I've heard it's a lot more difficult.

Here are my current stats
code:
Vitality - 24
Attunement - 12
Endurance - 27
Strength - 26
Dexterity - 26
Resistance - 13
Intelligence - 10
Faith - 13
I'm using the Catarina Armor set, along with the Gold Serpent Ring and Havel's Ring. The main weapon I use is the Halberd, which I just upgraded to +15. I've upgraded the Longsword to +6, the Black Knight Sword to +5, and I've modified the Iaito with the Divine property (since I heard a Divine weapon is helpful for the Catacombs). I switch between shields depending on the situation, but the main one I'm using right now is the Silver Knight Shield +3.

You may wish to head to Lost Izalith next (through the Demon Ruins), it'll get you a place where you can farm Demon Titanite and some other useful things along the way. The Duke's Archives has a couple boars at the very beginning, but once you power through them the enemies are for the most part much easier to deal with. You might want to use something other than physical damage vs the boars, as their armor is very strong vs physical. For your build pyromancy is probably the best bet. Now is also a good time to start exploring the DLC, but you'll need to get inside the Duke's Archives for that.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Personally I want more or less that last thing - Dark Souls gameplay but with robots and energy swords. Dash of PSO, but more of the atmosphere of Metroid? Plenty of themes that could be worked in too: Ai rampancy, cosmic horror, xenomorphs. Metroid Fusion had this whole thing where some of the robots had organic aspects to them, which let them get hijacked by X parasites. Thinking of robots that get giant fleshy bits bursting out of them or something seems kind of up the alley of Souls.

I think a Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind or Panzer Dragoon style scifi would work. Ancient bio engineered weapons of war wandering around a shattered Earth. Ecosystems that have drastically transformed and are now utterly hostile to the old world. Ancient decaying AIs trying to fulfill millennia old directives. That sort of poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Progression question:

Stopped playing this game at Lothric Castle last year due to burnout and Uncharted 4 release. I just picked up the 2 expansions thinking it would all work nicely since I was decently far but hadn't hit NG+.

What is the best order to experience the remaining content from the base game + expansions?

Finish the main game up until the final boss then do the DLC in the order it was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Finish the main game up until the final boss then do the DLC in the order it was released.

Thanks.