Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Moltrey posted:

I'm not sure what fixed fight this is, but if it's an Archangel, they're weak to Zio

Was trying not to spoil, but it's easier to discuss. Analysis screen suggested a level 16 archangel type.

I will grind a bit, and try zio tomorrow.

Thanks, all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The first mini-boss in the first Palace is also an Archangel, but as a boss, it has different weaknesses/resistances, that's what tripped me up for a bit. Regular enemy Archangels yeah are just weak to Zio which is impossible not have.

Making your starting Persona Dark elemental is cool, but like the only things I found weak to dark were Pixies and then I wound up wishing Arsene was an Ice elemental so I'd have easy access to the first four. Not having Bufu early on was a bit of a pain due to Beriths, but I made a Succubus quickly enough so w/e

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Captain Baal posted:

You get a new secret boss and that's it

Balls. Is the secret boss like P3/P4 where you need the secret all-slinks-maxed-in-this-run persona to beat it? That's going to royally suck.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
You still get tired from going to mementos right? and not just whatever palace? I came home from a pretty lengthy exploration of it, then got a text to come level up with tae. After I accepted it I was allowed to wander around town as normal instead of getting railroaded into sleeping.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mailer posted:

Balls. Is the secret boss like P3/P4 where you need the secret all-slinks-maxed-in-this-run persona to beat it? That's going to royally suck.

You didn't need that for the others one either, you needed to do all of the missions for those respective characters and this one's no different.

darealkooky posted:

You still get tired from going to mementos right? and not just whatever palace? I came home from a pretty lengthy exploration of it, then got a text to come level up with tae. After I accepted it I was allowed to wander around town as normal instead of getting railroaded into sleeping.

Yes

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

In these early levels I feel like Garu and Bufu is all over the place but Agi is hard to find and I legitimately am yet to somehow get Zio on my protagonist in any form.

It's an excuse to use Ryuji's SP I suppose because otherwise he's a giant beatstick that just Lunges or Headbutts everything and in fights against tough enemies he just wipes them after the MC casts Rakunda.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

So was this just a weird glitch/potential secret tech I just found? I could grind, level up an slink AND put flags out for another one by talking to the poltician guy at night in the same day.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's been a while since I've done mementos, but it falls under the same rules as the Palaces do, with the exception of getting tired for the rest of the day iirc

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Well, I went in again the day after and I was totally tired & unable to do anything, so I guess getting a hang out text really did throw it for a loop somehow.

Weird.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So in general, following the requests of the twins is a good idea because you create decent personas? My Matador with Psy wiped the floor with the third palace.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fat_Cow posted:

So in general, following the requests of the twins is a good idea because you create decent personas? My Matador with Psy wiped the floor with the third palace.

Not even just that, you get EXP bonus on strength, access to stronger fusion types, and you can fuse anything at higher levels than you once you max it. It also takes no time to do so it's generally worth doing it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

bewilderment posted:

In these early levels I feel like Garu and Bufu is all over the place but Agi is hard to find and I legitimately am yet to somehow get Zio on my protagonist in any form.

It's an excuse to use Ryuji's SP I suppose because otherwise he's a giant beatstick that just Lunges or Headbutts everything and in fights against tough enemies he just wipes them after the MC casts Rakunda.
I swear my Pixie came with Zio

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I swear my Pixie came with Zio

She does.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Also I'm sorry but I totally forget how the Fusion Social Links work, but do you have to fuse it there or just show it to them. I haven't unlocked it yet, but I know they first ask for a Jack Frost with Mabufu and I got that one already. Will I need to remake it again or can it'll just go "oh cool"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

Also I'm sorry but I totally forget how the Fusion Social Links work, but do you have to fuse it there or just show it to them. I haven't unlocked it yet, but I know they first ask for a Jack Frost with Mabufu and I got that one already. Will I need to remake it again or can it'll just go "oh cool"

You have to it in your persona lineup and then talk to the twin on the left.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sick, ty

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

As somebody who doesn't really play JRPGs super often, how obtuse is this game? I'm fine with turn-based combat and grinding. Is the elemental system a pain to have to accommodate for?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's incredibly simple once you get the hang of it, but you're gonna spending some time shooting in the dark at certain enemies you think might be weak to something and then turn out to be weak to something else. It's a really easy to pick up JRPG, honestly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kalsco posted:

As somebody who doesn't really play JRPGs super often, how obtuse is this game? I'm fine with turn-based combat and grinding. Is the elemental system a pain to have to accommodate for?

The combat mechanics are not really obtuse at all. What might be though is remembering which of the many activities raise which social stat and figuring what the most efficient method of spending your time is. But that's only really important if you're going for 100%.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

NutShellBill posted:

Just got splatted twice by a non-boss in the first castle. (He did glow red, but so had the 20 or so other shadows I'd beaten stupid...) (Normal Difficulty level)

1st fight went like this

Ambush
Try dark, he looks Angelic... (normal damage)
Try Garu, because options are limited at level 8. (normal damage)
Try Spiked bat to the head (normal damage)
Try Agi (normal damage)

(Level 16) MOB responds with makouha... (MC had Succubus equipped, dead, rest of party was in single digit health)

2nd attempt

Equip Pixie for Light Strong; Defend first round...

MOB casts Makouha, 40 ish damage across board. MC resists for 25...
MOB gets second attack whose name eludes me. Party wipe.

Did I make a wrong turn?

This thing isn't a boss, it's just a fixed fight... but there's no way to sneak around it, since it's like a closet sized room.

Anyone else encounter this?

I had a similar experience.

On my 3rd attempt what I did was use attack buff on Ryuji and then used whatever his physical skill was, then sleep him and repeat until dead, never giving him the chance to act. I liked using Dream Needle for this.

The plot for the second target is in full swing now, my knowledge only just went up to level 2 (just before exams) and it feels like I haven't been doing enough for my other skills. There's just so much to do and so many drat systems that it's hard to figure out what I should be doing. Certain events are already being gated behind one of my stats not being high enough so it feels as if I'm doing something wrong. I've gotten some errant points in guts by studying in the library and doing that medicine event, so maybe I should focus on that next? But my "KINDNESS" was too low to do a S. Link with Ann so maybe I should do that??

gently caress.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 6, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never saw any of the Thieves' Guild in combat stuff when I played the JP version, that's kinda neat.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I always feel weirdly smug when I actually know the answer to one of the random class questions, even if this game makes it easier to just cheat them than ever by having the Thieves Guild stuff.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Wow the 2nd dungeons boss is wrecking my poo poo on hard, gonna have to drop down to normal methinks

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So the only mechanical complaint about the game is the random instant kill you get outside of battle once you level your companions Slinks. It makes it hard to grind for money and stuff because it activates annoyingly often against weak enemies. And you only grab a person mask from it, unless you're full then you get nothing.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Ceramics posted:

Wow the 2nd dungeons boss is wrecking my poo poo on hard, gonna have to drop down to normal methinks

I did some sidequest/grinding to get the group phys skills on ryuji/yusuke and fused shiisa & had a pretty simple time just steamrolling everything while morgana healed

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

darealkooky posted:

I did some sidequest/grinding to get the group phys skills on ryuji/yusuke and fused shiisa & had a pretty simple time just steamrolling everything while morgana healed

I'll give that a go before taking the cowards way out, thanks :)

e: got em!

Ceramics fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 6, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Okay I just met Goro and uh... I guess these are spoilers? It's kinda speculation though.

Well, he obviously heard Morgana talking. So he's probably the traitor, since he had to have been going into the other world beforehand to be able to do that. This is the least subtle thing ever, he had like 6 lines and I can already immediately tell it's him.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Do you have to have it equipped or is it sufficient to have it in your persona inventory? I never realized there was a connection in the other games.

Just having it in your inventory works.

Edit-Also, does anyone know if it's ok to romance more than one person? I romanced ann kinda by accident but I still want to see other people's romance scenes.

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 6, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Carwash posted:

Just having it in your inventory works.

Edit-Also, doesn't anyone know if it's ok more to romance more than one person? I romanced ann kinda by accident but I still want to see other people's romance scenes.

Apparently all your girlfriends come and beat you up on Valentines day if you do this.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love this crispin freeman guy

I also love that I can pretend old n64 music plays whenever I use him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am pretty early. Is there a trick to negotiating with shadows

Edit: Oh I forgot they go to school on Saturdays in Japan

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 6, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I love this crispin freeman guy

TAEEEEEEEEEEEEE

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Jesus the second-palace midboss that you fight after getting the fifth party member completely destroyed me multiple times. He was doing like quadruple the damage other enemies were, able to oneshot most of my party members including my MC unless he switched to a tanky persona, and I wasn't able to find a single elemental weakness. I eventually managed to beat him with a bunch of buffs and debuffs, but was I missing something?

In any case, I then went and bought the best armor I could purchase, because yikes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You weren't missing anything he's supposed to do an absurd amount of damage. It's a really dumb mid-boss because that's all there is to him. If you have a phys resist persona or a phys reflect item he dies.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
So I'm one of those people who tries to max all S-Links in the first playthrough. I was following a guide on GameFAQs the last two days, but I tried to go to the second page today and found out the whole thing had been deleted. I pulled the first page using Wayback Machine, but anyone have a link to any other Max Confidants guides in English floating around?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
This is the only game I've ever played where I can just let the attract screen roll everytime.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Dan Didio posted:

This is the only game I've ever played where I can just let the attract screen roll everytime.

All the Personas are pretty good for this, I watched the P4G intro a million times.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zhaan posted:

So I'm one of those people who tries to max all S-Links in the first playthrough. I was following a guide on GameFAQs the last two days, but I tried to go to the second page today and found out the whole thing had been deleted. I pulled the first page using Wayback Machine, but anyone have a link to any other Max Confidants guides in English floating around?

He updated the guide, which GameFAQs considers an entirely different link for some reason.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/835628-persona-5/faqs/74549

I'm using it for S.Link answers since while I do like trying to do the time management myself, sometimes those answers can be really odd and hard to figure out logically.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dan Didio posted:

Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There is one of the best anime OPs in a longass time. It's so good :allears:

Sucks that Makoto and Haru don't get to do some sweet rain skating of their own tho'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Finally picked up the game today, put a decent amount of time in.

Party members so far are great, Kamoshita is a complete and utter piece of poo poo that I can't wait to shoot in the face, and Archangels as normal enemies are utter and complete bullshit.

Seriously, does a mass party damage move (that I'm fairly sure was a Light attack) that does ~80% damage to everyone, gives me a single turn with one character, then it gets another turn and does it again. Amazingly this was not survivable. Not even counting that it has at least one other physical mass party damage move on its list - just to ensure there's a fair chance it'll pull out one or the other every time it goes.