Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Hire the Americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Cathode Raymond posted:

I'm leaning toward package B w/vehicles right now. Those BMP's will make the troops a lot more mobile and effective.

Same, those armored assets make B attractive.

Is there anyway we could get some Strykers or hell even some M113's with some armor for the Americas? If not I'm down for dropping a chunk of change for some backwoods Ruskkies.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Boots are made for walking being cool, get the US dudes, and spruce them up more as we go

Stairmaster posted:

I'm in favor of attack plan A. If we can't take on the burmese military then we'll never get anywhere in the world.

We need those planes for other things, and don't get paid for shooting enemies down. That's two big strikes.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 6, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I think we need to sink both of those bulk carriers without fail, if they get through that will curtail a lot of our air ops or at least make them harder to pull off. I would rather see us use more money to guarantee they die than to try and save in costs.

As for the ground pounders, I say go for the US infantry, we only need a small few men and the better trained they are the better.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah starting anything beyond the absolute minimum with Myanmar is just wasteful and dumb.

Re: armor, now that Bogdan might be back in the near future with the good stuff I'm 100% set on getting the US guys right now. They'll mainly be doing sneaky small-unit poo poo so the high training sounds really useful. We can look at getting some Strykers or M-113 Aerogavins in the future, no need for old Soviet junk.

E: I am... intrigued by the antique broadsword in the Serbian loadout, though.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 6, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I know we are a business, not a philanthropic organization, but the bad luck story of the poor Serbians touched me deeply, especially when I considered how cheap they were. I vote for Package C

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Air plan wise I vote for Bacarruda with secondary target Plan B We are going to piss off Mynamar anyway when we strike those cargo ships so the less we piss them off the better plus our pilots should have a better chance of getting out.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

In regards to the, erm, Mr. Patrovic. We'll find a way to integrate them into the narrative somehow. If the pacing is slower (as it's an RPG) then we'll make sure that we at least get our moneys worth on occasion. Or not. Such are the risks.

Hopefully it's hilarious.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Let's hire the ex-soviet Motostrelski. Maybe they can get us some connections for future :frog: munitions.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I should probably go ahead and say now that I am running a Phoenix Command LP as a sister LP of this one, where the premise is we shall be doing missions under the umbrella of Hired Goons and in support of the Hired Goons Air Wing (recon, HUMINT, etc.)

Those of you who have heard of Phoenix Command, yes, I'm that crazy.

For those of you who haven't heard of Phoenix Command, my LP will be beginning this weekend with introductions to the absolutely insane, ancient system.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Option C

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We fight for the Glorious Eco-Terrorism Soviet Union

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Because of our Lobbyists's action we have received an intel map showing radar locations in Myanmar and Tibet. Also noted by the pink arrows is where the Indian Tankers will be stationed. We'll have one at each point.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I vote that we hire the American recruits to be our boots on the ground. Also, that the complimentary 1911 goes to my pilot in the tanker, so he can play with a loaded weapon in the cockpit of a giant missile full of jet fuel while smoking giant cigars, like a true mercenary pilot.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

It'd be nice to hit the ships away from Myanmar but I don't see how we could expect to find them - especially the one coming from Shanghai, hitting it farther east is just asking for Chinese or wider outrage.

Maybe we should just ignore the ships, and demand pay increases if the danger level goes up? Throw everything at the main targets.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Now you did notice the...erm, suboptimal...ratio of equipment to trooper in that hooligan outfit, right?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
They are Serbs. They are weapons far more destructive than any rifle.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
Considering we're not being paid to bomb commercial freighters, but we are being paid to blow up ground targets, it might be better to ignore the freighters. Assuming we can squeeze in 3 flights of Maverick-armed Gripens in a 6-hour period using quick turnaround, that's a potential 48 extra ATGMs we can sling at scary-looking ground troops. With a reliability of 85%, that may be a potential 40 targets. Killing an extra 40 T-55s or whatever can make us some serious dosh, even if we can never use the SK-60Bs in this AO again.

Here's an alternate plan:

Primary Mission Plan Charlie: Maximum CAS Money

Rather than trying to work through the logistical mess of trying to commit war crimes on the high seas, we focus entirely on blowing up as many TLA ground forces as we can for as much dosh as we can. The secondary target of the freighters is completely ignored. We'll worry about those weapons systems they're carrying later, if ever. We always have the option to cut and run if things get too hot, don't we?

Our 8 Gripens are split into two mission loadouts. One with maximum LGB payload, one with maximum ATGM loadout. The loadouts are further split into two-ship flights for maximum search coverage.

Once we've (hopefully) destroyed all SPAAGs and MANPADs and such, the SK 60Bs can go to town on what's left.

All Gripens will be launched at once, with one flight of each loadout heading towards the western group and the northern group. The LGB-armed Gripens can use their sensors to check for AA assets, and guide the Maverick-armed Gripens on, before dropping bombs on threatening-looking things that are left.
15 minutes after the Gripens are launched, launch all SK 60Bs, once again half towards each group. The LGB-armed Gripens will stick around to act as forward air controllers for them, before RTBing themselves in time for surge tempo.

Flights will take off again when the ground crew finishes reloading them, which will take only 20 minutes under quick turnaround. That should be enough time for a snack and bathroom break, right?

2 Flights of 2x JAS 39C Gripen, "Archer" and "Crossbow."
Equipment: RB 75 Maverick EO, Short-Range, Heavy. (4x AGM-65B, 2x IRIS-T, 1x Drop Tank)
Mission:
1: Protect self and friendly forces from hostile air threats.
2: Search and destroy enemy ground assets, in the following priority:
2.1: Suppression/Destruction of Air Defenses (SEAD).
2.2: Immediate ground threats to allied Indian volunteers. (Close air support.)
2.3: Other targets of opportunity, including hostile FOBs.
3. Try to be wheels-down before 1h20m of flight time to allow for quick turnarounds under surge operational tempo.

2 Flights of 2x JAS 39C Gripen, "Hammer" and "Anvil."
Equipment: GBU-12, Short-Range, Heavy. (4x GBU-12, 2x IRIS-T, 1x Litening III Pod, 1x Drop Tank)
Mission:
2: Search and destroy enemy ground assets, in the following priority:
2.2: Immediate ground threats to allied Indian volunteers. (Close air support).
3: After Winchester, continue to search for ground targets using available sensors, and guide SK 60B flights and returning Archer/Crossbow flights onto targets. (FAC)
4: Return to base after one hour of flight time, or at an earlier available opportunity if convenient, to allow for quick turnarounds under surge operational tempo. Ensure wheels-down before 1h20m of flight time.

6 Flights of 1x SK 60Bs, "Burger", "Taco", "Hot Dog", "Poutine", "Falafel," and "Sandwich."
Equipment: M/70 135 mm Rockets. (12x 135 mm Rockets.)
Mission:
1: Avoid known locations of hostile air defenses until threats are neutralized.
2: Follow FAC instructions to search and destroy enemy ground assets, in the following priority:
2.1: Immediate ground threats to allied Indian volunteers.
2.2: Other targets of opportunity, including hostile FOBs
4: Try to be wheels-down before 1h20m of flight time to allow for quick turnarounds under surge operational tempo.
-Reminder: Try to set up attack runs as to minimize potential exposure to enemy MANPADs. Two guys with an HN-5B can hide from infrared underneath a tree or bush easily enough.

1 Flight of 1x S 100B Argus (AEW), "Moonlight."
Equipment: AEW
Intel is adamant that China won't be sending any air assets at us. In addition, with no strike on commercial freighters we're unlikely to piss Myanmar off enough for them to send planes at us. On the other hand, all it costs to send her up is some fuel, and it buys us peace of mind.
Mission:
1: Provide AEW support over friendly flights.
1.1: Orbit racetrack is above our airfield, underneath our SA-3 SAM envelope.
1.2: Take off when runway traffic permits, after the Gripens launch.
1.3: Provide overwatch for all three quick-turnaround flights of friendly air. RTB when Anvil and Hammer have been forced to stand down; might as well not burn too much fuel.
1.4: Take off again when the second wave of CAS launches.

Not used: KC-135R Tanker support.

YOOPER MISSION NOTE: To save some hassle, please set the LGB-armed Gripens to not RTB when winchester. Remember that this can be set for the entire side, for a mission you assign them to, or for the units themselves, whichever you find easiest.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 6, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I will get a plan together later today

I vote to
go with the full Russia lot

More gear, more men, means more options and more fun

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I'll get a plan together when I have access to a computer.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Voting for Plan Charlie

Who cares if the Chinese bring in new toys? By the time they start setting them up, we'll be rich enough to find a better paying theatre to enter... and this pseudo-war will have turned into a Great Power war. Too much risk for too little benefit for us mercs.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Phi230 posted:

Package B - 302nd Motostrelki Company

Tasked with defending a strategically important lumber mill deep in Siberia by Soviet High Command in 1979, the news of the dissolution of the Soviet Union absolutely devastated the 302nd, who, in their lack of contact with the rest of the world, only found out recently. Maintaining their numbers by conscripting the local populace, these fine men of the Soviet Union are taking their talents abroad.

24x Infantry - Moderate Skill

Weapon - Price Per Unit

30x AK-74 - $800
8x PKM - $1250
4x RPK-74 - $1000
2x RPG-7v - $2000
2x Dragunov SVD - $1500
2x AK-74GP - $1400
1x AGS-17 - $5000
120x Mosin-Nagant 91/30 Free With Package!

15x RGD-5 - $1000
30 Free Smoke Grenades With Package

2x BMP-2 For Sale! - $45,000 Each!

$5 Million + $90,000 for the BMP-2s

This looks like a good deal. We don't have any NATO small arms, so running two supply chains won't be an issue.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 6, 2017

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Charlie sounds great - but consider flying the AWACS as intel can lie and we don't really want to be caught pants-down here.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

rchandra posted:

Charlie sounds great - but consider flying the AWACS as intel can lie and we don't really want to be caught pants-down here.

Good point. I'm editing that in.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Mountain mission (Operation Bread)

Composition:
2x Gripens, Naan Flight, armed with 2x Mk2 Mjolnirs, 2x Rb 75 Mavericks, 2x IRIS-T and 1 1200 litre drop tank
2x Gripens, Soda Flight, armed with 4x GBU-12s, 2x IRIS-T and 1 1200 litre drop tank
3x Sk60, Pita Flight, armed with 12x M/70 135mm rockets
3x Sk60, Toast Flight, armed with 12x M/70 135mm rockets

In the mix here are unknown numbers of MBTs, SPAAGs and others. Why not take out the most of them in one fell swoop with the Mjolnirs before we start mopping up with Mavericks and rockets? The two LGB Gripens meanwhile will be tasked with eliminating the FOB and other targets of opportunity.

The actual plan for Operation Bread is as such

1) When approaching the operation area, Naan
Flight will divide and each individual aircraft will make its way to the head of each convoy.

2) Pita Flight and Toast Flight are to follow a Gripen to their target, Pita to the northern column and Toast to the western column.

3) Once each Gripen in Naan Flight has released its Mjolnirs, they are to break off and act as forward air controllers for their respective SK60 flight.

4) Preferably, the Sk60s make only one pass each, and preferably they will be riding in on the coattails of the Mjolnirs. They are the slowest and most vulnerable of our aircraft to AAA threats, and if we can have them attack just after the Mjolnirs make their arrival, then we would be maximizing their safety margin by having them make their runs when the enemy is. at their most disorganized.

5) Once the SK60s have made their runs and are disengaging, Naan Flight are to engage whatever enemies left at their discretion.

6) Soda Flight is to to prioritize enemy FOBs and then to engage other targets at their discretion. Owing to the fixed nature of FOBs, this flight is not as time-critical as the other aspects of Operation Bread, and I would have them conduct their strike after the rest of Operation Bread is through its first wave.

7) Upon returning to base, both Naan and Soda flights are to be re-armed with GBU-12s and IRIS-Ts and return to strike at the remains of the enemy force for as long as possible until either the force is destroyed or we run out of time.

I disagree with not hitting the freighters, we don't know how long we're going to be in India, but I doubt it'll be a short sojourn here. Besides, if we want our new Frogfeet to be useful here, then we have to prevent the TLA from upping their air defence capabilities.

Anti-shipping mission (Operation Circus)

In that light, the anti-freighter operation would be conducted by:

4x Gripens divided into two flights (Ringling Flight and Soleil Flight), armed with 2x GBU-12s, 2x IRIS-Ts and 3 1200 litre drop tank
1x KC-135
1x Saab 340 Erieye (If the Indians will allow us to forward base it in Calcutta)

1) The four Gripens and KC-135 will take off from our base at the earliest possible time.

2) They will make their way west and south, avoiding Bangladesh and meeting with Indian tankers to receive fuel along the way.

3) Once they have made their final transfer of fuel from the Indians near Calcutta, our aircraft will make their way towards into the Bay of Bengal.

3B) If the Indians will allow it, at this point our Erieye will take off and start searching. It would greatly aid us in spotting the freighters, especially ones trying to avoid the obvious shipping lanes.

4) Once in the bay, our Gripens are to split into their flights and are to investigate ships in the bay for as long as possible. Should one flight find a freighter, they are to shadow it until either the other one is found or it is no longer possible to safely shadow them.

5A) Once both freighters are identified, they are to be bombed simultaneously.

5B) Should a freighter come within close proximity (within 10 nm) of Myanmar's radar coverage, they are to be bombed by the nearest flight. The other flight should maintain its search for the remaining freighter.

Should Myanmar aircraft attempt to interfere by ordering our aircraft away, they should be complied with.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 6, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I reiterate that as the Andaman Islands are right by the port our target ships are heading to and already have Indian air and naval bases on them, we should see if we can make use of them for our anti-shipping strike.

I also think that if the Chinese air contingent in Tibet is grounded, this would be an excellent chance to ensure it stays grounded permanently by bombing and starring it into burning wreckage.

And it might be worth checking commercial flight paths over Myanmar to see if our strike force can pretend to be civilians on their way to the mission area. Maybe bribe a Burmese radar tech or two for insurance that they classify our aircraft appropriately?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I wouldn't go to Lhasa, we don't have any SEAD assets to destroy their SAMs and we can't attack it without going in range of them. If only we had that SDB upgrade...

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
The biggest problem with sending Gripens only armed with the anti ship missile RB 15F is that they have really short legs. They can only spread out 180 nmi from their tanker, and we have to fly over every freighter to see if it's one of the ones we want to bomb or not (wasting the whole point of a AShM cruise missile, incidentally). That 180 nmi range is enough for Sweden to try to sink a Russian flotilla that Radar's picked up off their coast, but very bad for maritime patrol. Seriously, I'd be worried that we can't even find the correct freighters to sink, at which point we've left money on the table because we could have been blowing up more T-55s instead.

So I really think that even at least one Gripen with the long-range, 2x Paveway, 1x Sensor Pod, 3x Drop Tank loadout is worth packing less boom.

Edit: Just to put into perspective how the RB 15F is really heavy: even the "short range" 4x Paveway loadout has a 280 nmi strike radius, and has almost as much boom. (Ah, I see you've noticed this.)

Paveways also cost practically nothing in comparison, compared to $1.5 million per AShM. If we launch 8 Rb 15Fs it will set us back $12 million, nearly half the payout from this mission before CAS bonuses. The only thing the RB 15F loadout really gives us are the Meteors for air defense, otherwise I'd advocate for not even touching them.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 6, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
After thinking about it and running the numbers, yeah, you're right. In fact, I think we can have two of the naval strike Gripens equipped with four paveways and two IRIS-Ts each, which would give them an extra 100nm of coverage while keeping enough ordinance on board to eliminate either of the freighters, while the other two are equipped with... I've just realised, your loadout wouldn't work, the reconnaissance pod on the Gripen is a centerline one, it'd take one of the spots for a fuel tank. Would it be possible to run with a 2x Paveway, 2x drop tank, 2x iris-t, 1x spk-39 and litening pod loadout?

Another question, does CMANO simulate ships being set on fire and abandoned?

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Quinntan posted:

After thinking about it and running the numbers, yeah, you're right. In fact, I think we can have two of the naval strike Gripens equipped with four paveways and two IRIS-Ts each, which would give them an extra 100nm of coverage while keeping enough ordinance on board to eliminate either of the freighters, while the other two are equipped with... I've just realised, your loadout wouldn't work, the reconnaissance pod on the Gripen is a centerline one, it'd take one of the spots for a fuel tank. Would it be possible to run with a 2x Paveway, 2x drop tank, 2x iris-t, 1x spk-39 and litening pod loadout?

Another question, does CMANO simulate ships being set on fire and abandoned?

All loadouts in CMANO are pre-specified by the developers, so we can't run invalid loadouts (but we can't run creative loadouts either). The Litening III pod is needed to lase the targets for the LGBs and it isn't mounted on a munitions mount, so it's included in every loadout that has Paveways.

The SPK-39 Recon pod is something completely different, and the only loadout that includes it is 2x Meteor, 2x IRIS-T, 1x SPK-39 Pod [EO], 2x Drop Tank.

As to the second question: yes. Ships can be set on fire, and the crew will try to run damage control. If the fire rages out of control the ship will be abandoned.

Ships can also suffer flooding damage, and the flooding damage will get better with damage control, or get worse if you yell "drat the torpedoes!" and run at flank speed before the holes are patched up. Too much flooding damage will capsize the ship.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 6, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Would it not be an idea then to go for disabling the ships and forcing their abandonment? These are only small freighters, they're not meant to withstand bombing and I can't imagine they'd be capable of dealing with the damage we would do.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Quinntan posted:

Would it not be an idea then to go for disabling the ships and forcing their abandonment? These are only small freighters, they're not meant to withstand bombing and I can't imagine they'd be capable of dealing with the damage we would do.

Possibly? I don't know enough about the damage model to give an estimate to how likely that is. I'm going to run some tests to see what happens.

In the meantime, luckily these two freighters are the smallest types of cargo carriers in the game, with an estimated 450 and 670 DPs of health. 4 and 6 GBU-12s should be enough to sink them outright. One less bomb might not sink them, but should cripple them. If we want to use $1.5 million dollar missiles, 2 and 3 should blow the freighters out of the water.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
I go with plan Maximum Profits with a side dish of plan B round the world.

I would suggest to use a recon grippen to find the freighters first.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

To help people make up their minds. Here is the INTEL we have

Yooper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAAIcsnILnk

Ladies and Gentleman, time to put on our big girl panties. This is a two pronged mission.

The primary mission, and the one we'll be paid for is to support the Indian Volunteers as they engage both Tibet-Chinese forces and the TLA. We will receive positional data on the front line units from the Volunteers on the ground. However there are likely more units behind them in the mountain passes. The Chinese Air Force is on stand down right now. There will be no Chinese Air Force over the Tibet operation zone. AAA is likely. MANPADS will be limited.

Payment is both for the mission itself AND for performance. The more assets we destroy, the further the lines move back, the more we're paid.

Secondary Mission

China has two bulk carriers coming into Sittwe. Each of these contains portable SAM's, modern MANPAD systems and mobile radar. This isn't the junk we've been dealing with in Tibet. With the rail line cut through Sichuan they are trying to reinforce the Eastern front in Tibet. Which means if we don't sink these boats we've got a big loving problem. The Indians aren't paying us for this job, but it'll make it much tougher to operate in Tibet if we don't kill them.

Here's the catch. We can't overfly Bangladesh. Going over Myanmar will create unpredictable results. We can, but we might have to deal with their air force too. It's not cutting edge by any means, but it could be nasty. Once we attack those ships the Myanmar Air Force is likely to respond. All we know is the ships are approaching Sittwe, but not the exact position.

It's going to be like finding a needle in a stack of needles.

More specifics to come.

Yooper posted:

Due to construction issues at Daiwei the freighters have been re-routed to Sittwe. This significantly reduces the distance we need to fly.

Yooper posted:

The Marine Session

Target #1 Mao's Wisdom 5750t Container Ship - Arriving from Shanghai

The Mao's Wisdom is carrying munitions and radar. It has a checkered registry ranging from Moldova to Philippine but always traceable back to China. That they're hauling munitions like this in a Chinese registered ship says something about the desperation to halt this front. Of particular note is container of the JY-14 radar systems.

We have no information regarding armament or upgrades.

Target #2 Red Blossom 9500t Container Ship - Arriving from Angola

The Red Blossom was originally carrying SAM's systems to Angola, including a Chinese variant of the venerable ZSU-23 system. Of more worry is a very large collection of MANPAD's, FN-6, QW-3, and a limited quantity of Verba's. This ship was interdicted by the US Navy off Somalia a few years back after hauling weapons to some very unsavory characters.

We do have footage of her at Cape Town and saw no armament. But, there was a Chinese Frigate spotted shortly after.

As I stated before. These are optional targets. They are closing in on Sittwe. Once they get into Myanmar territorial waters we run the risk of dragging Myanmar into the conflict against us. If we breach Myanmar airspace we can guarantee a hefty response. If we fire upon the container ships we will get a response, though likely less.

Myanmar Air Force

Myanmar has a fairly robust radar system all along the coast line. What they lack in fighters they make up for in coverage. The Air Force has been assisting China in the Sichuan theater and in the Northern operations. We can expect a range of J-6, J-7, and MIG-29's. They may have JF-17's as well. Our intel is unclear.

They will not breach Indian or Bangladeshi air space though they may fire into it. The pilots on hand are not trainees but veterans of fighting in the East.

The CAS Up North

Under cover of darkness two regiments of Indian "Volunteers" crossed the border and took Nyingchi. The Volunteers are a mix of Indians and Tibetan exiles. They have a serious lack of heavy armament, hence why we're here. The TLA pushed up in one mountain pass to the South. The Chinese-Tibetan Army is pushing back, hard, in a pass to the North. Make no mistake, without our robust support these units will crumble. India won't cross the border to offer air support.

We have intel on the ground about units in contact with Chinese Mech Infantry Platoons, ZSU-57's, MLRS Artillery, Type 59 MBT's, and a forward operating base. More units are likely inbound.

It's been confirmed. The air wing in Lhasa is grounded. Expect no Chinese air intervention.

The TLA units moving up are much lighter. Infantry. Mortars. Some old Chinese T-55 knock-offs, and HN-5B MANPAD's. They also have forward operating bases that our intel folks picked up. They have halted in contact with the Volunteers and seem content to hold where they are, until an opening arises.

Payment

The Indians have provided an interesting incentive. Beyond a mission salary we're also receiving a performance bonus. The more we destroy, the more we get paid. Thank Jack, Our Man in Washington, for lobbying hard on this one.

Speaking of payment : $25,000,000 plus performance. Destruction of UN personnel will significantly reduce payout.

Everyone knows the "Volunteers" are Indian backed. But it gives them deniability. So India needs us, and needs us something fierce. The UN still wants to conduct humanitarian operations but for the moment has halted all shipments.

So there it is Hired Goons. So far we have plans from Bacarruda and Psawhn.

Yooper posted:

Because of our Lobbyists's action we have received an intel map showing radar locations in Myanmar and Tibet. Also noted by the pink arrows is where the Indian Tankers will be stationed. We'll have one at each point.

And here the the MISSION PLANS

Bacarruda posted:

Primary Mission Plan: "Maximum Profits"

"Slugger"
Aircraft and Loadout
(in two flights launched 30 minutes apart) Four JAS 39 Gripen strike fighters, each with:
-IRIS-T short-range air-to-air missiles
-GBU-12D/B laser-guide bombs
-Litening III targeting pod

"Rocketeer"
Aircraft and Loadout
(in three flights launched 30 minutes apart) Six SK 60 Saab 105 Gripen attack aircraft, each with:
-M 70 135mm Rockets*

Secondary Mission Plans
UPDATED Secondary Mission Plan B: "Round the World"

"High CAP"
Aircraft and Loadout
Two JAS 39 Gripen strike fighters, each with the long-range loadout of:
IRIS-T missiles
GBU-12 bombs
Litening III targeting pod
300-gal drop tanks

"Ahab"
Aircraft and Loadout
Two JAS 39 Gripen strike fighters, each with:
IRIS-T short-range air-to-air missiles
Meteor air-to-air missiles(?)
RB 15 anti-shipping missiles
300-gal drop tanks

"Big Pig"
Aircraft
KC-135 Tanker

"Eyeball"
Aircraft
One Saab S100B AEW&C

OR

Secondary Mission Plan A: "Direct Route"

"High CAP"
Aircraft and Loadout
RB 107 Meteor missiles
IRIS-T missiles
300-gal drop tanks

"Ahab"
Aircraft and Loadout
300-gal drop tanks

"Big Pig"
Aircraft
KC-135 Tanker

"Eyeball"
Aircraft
One Saab S100B AEW&C

OUTDATED Secondary Mission Plan B: "Round the World"

"High CAP"
Aircraft and Loadout
RB 107 Meteor missiles
IRIS-T missiles
300-gal drop tanks

"Ahab"
Aircraft and Loadout
300-gal drop tanks

"Big Pig"
Aircraft
KC-135 Tanker

"Eyeball"
Aircraft
One Saab S100B AEW&C

Psawhn posted:

Accordingly, for the Anti Ship War Crimes Flight, I propose the following:

Secondary Mission Plan B-Point-Five: Double-Duty Round The World

This plan is a modified version of Bacarruda's Secondary Mission Plan B: Round The World. It only differs by the specified changes.

2x JAS 39 Gripens, "Heavy Hammer"
This flight replaces flight "High CAP." They are equipped with the RB 15F Mk2 Loadout. (2x AShM, 2x Meteor, 2x IRIS-T, 1x Drop Tank)
Mission:
1: Protect friendly tanker and anti-shipping aircraft from airborne threats. The tanker is HVT.
2: Use minimum necessary firepower to destroy shipping objectives, if Scope and Grope possesses insufficient firepower.

2x JAS 39 Gripens, "Scope and Grope."
This flight replaces flight "Ahab." They are equipped with the GBU-12 Long-Range Loadout. (2x GBU-12, 2x IRIS-T, 1x Litening III Pod, 3x Drop Tank)
Mission:
1: Search and destroy hostile shipping using available sensors.
1.b: Call in flight Heavy Hammer if own Paveways are insufficient to sink targets
2: Protect self and friendly assets.

Psawhn posted:

Primary Mission Plan Charlie: Maximum CAS Money
2 Flights of 2x JAS 39C Gripen, "Archer" and "Crossbow."
Equipment: RB 75 Maverick EO, Short-Range, Heavy. (4x AGM-65B, 2x IRIS-T, 1x Drop Tank)
Mission:
2: Search and destroy TLA ground assets, in the following priority:
2.2: Immediate ground threats to allied Indian volunteers. (Close air support.)
3. Try to be wheels-down before 1h20m of flight time to allow for quick turnarounds under surge operational tempo.

2 Flights of 2x JAS 39C Gripen, "Hammer" and "Anvil."
Equipment: GBU-12, Short-Range, Heavy. (4x GBU-12, 2x IRIS-T, 1x Litening III Pod, 1x Drop Tank)
Mission:
2: Search and destroy TLA ground assets, in the following priority:
2.2: Immediate ground threats to allied Indian volunteers. (Close air support).
3: After Winchester, continue to search for ground targets using available sensors, and guide SK 60B flights and returning Archer/Crossbow flights onto targets. (FAC)
4: Return to base after one hour of flight time, or at an earlier available opportunity if convenient, to allow for quick turnarounds under surge operational tempo. Ensure wheels-down before 1h20m of flight time.

4 Flights of 2x SK 60Bs, "Burger", "Taco", "Hot Dog", and "Poutine"
Equipment: M/70 135 mm Rockets. (12x 135 mm Rockets.)
Mission:
1: Avoid known locations of hostile air defenses until threats are neutralized.
2: Follow FAC instructions to search and destroy TLA ground assets, in the following priority:
2.1: Immediate ground threats to allied Indian volunteers.
2.2: Other targets of opportunity, including hostile FOBs
4: Try to be wheels-down before 1h20m of flight time to allow for quick turnarounds under surge operational tempo.
-Reminder: Try to set up attack runs as to minimize potential exposure to enemy MANPADs. Two guys with an HN-5B can hide from infrared underneath a tree or bush easily enough.

1 Flight of 1x S 100B Argus (AEW), "Moonlight."
Equipment: AEW
Intel is adamant that China won't be sending any air assets at us. In addition, with no strike on commercial freighters we're unlikely to piss Myanmar off enough for them to send planes at us. On the other hand, all it costs to send her up is some fuel, and it buys us peace of mind.
Mission:
1: Provide AEW support over friendly flights.
1.1: Orbit racetrack is above our airfield, underneath our SA-3 SAM envelope.
1.2: Take off when runway traffic permits, after the Gripens launch.
1.3: Provide overwatch for all three quick-turnaround flights of friendly air. RTB when Anvil and Hammer have been forced to stand down; might as well not burn too much fuel.
1.4: Take off again when the second wave of CAS launches.

Quinntan posted:

Primary Mission

Composition:
2x Gripens, armed with 2x Mk2 Mjolnirs, 2x Rb 75 Mavericks, 2x IRIS-T and 1 1200 litre drop tank
2x Gripens, armed with 4x GBU-12s, 2x IRIS-T and 1 1200 litre drop tank
6x Sk60, armed with 12x M/70 135mm rockets

Secondary Operation
4x Gripens, armed with 2x RBS-15F, 2x Meteor, 2x IRIS-T and 1 1200 litre drop tank
1x KC-135

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 6, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

So that we are all on the same page, what would people say if I modified Plan B?

I'm worried about the possible presence of that Chinese frigate, so we need more anti-surface firepower. And if we're avoiding Burmese airspace, there's less need for dedicated fighter work.

Here is what I would change:
-The High CAP birds carry GBU-12 Paveways, a Litening pod, drop tanks, and IRIS-T air-to-air missiles. They will ID the frigate and the freighters with their Litening pod (the AEW&C bird can also help spot radar emissions from the frigate).
-Once the targets are ID'ed the anti-shipping birds will drop in low and pop the frigate with a missile each and then fire one missile at their chosen transport. Then they will RTB to Calcutta (or to our home base, if needed).
-Once the threat from the frigate is gone, the High CAP birds will finish off any unsunken ships and then RTB to Calcutta (or to our home base, if needed).
-The Tanker will meet up with the RTB'ing Gripens and keep them fuelled until we can land in Calcutta (or to our home base, if needed).
-The AEW&C bird only has about 1,300km range will need to land at Calcutta to take on gas before heading over the Bay of Bengal. It will need to be launched very early in the morning, so that it can gas up and then take off from Calcutta to meet with the strike package.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 6, 2017

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
I just ran some tests. Wow, these container ships are much more fragile than I thought.

For ships like the Mao's Wisodom (5750 tons):
1 GBU-12 has about a 3/4 chance of causing enough fire or flooding damage to eventually sink the ship.
2 GBU-12s will blow her out of the water outright.

For ships like the Red Blossom (9500 tons):
1 GBU-12 has about a 1/2 chance of causing enough fire or flooding damage to eventually sink the ship.
2 GBU-12s seem to guarantee causing enough flooding and fire damage to sink the ship.
3 GBU-12s will blow her out of the water outright.

Also, GBU-12s seem to have a decent chance of malfunctioning. (Probably a 15% chance, like on the datasheet). I kept having to loop back because the bomb didn't go boom. We might have to allocate an extra GBU-12 or two just in case we get a dud.

Considering nobody's voted for my plan B.5 I'll make a new plan with only one Gripen slinging those gold-plated RB 15Fs.
Nah, it might be too much work and confusion, and Bacarruda might update his plan B.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 6, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
For my own plan, I'd change the armament on the anti-ship Gripens. A pair of GBU-12s, a pair of IRIS-Ts and three drop tanks per aircraft would give us eight Paveways on the mission, which according to Psawhn's testing ought to give us more than enough firepower to destroy the freighters, and we should have a lot of search time to play with, combined with our tanker giving them a top up.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I vote for Phsawn's modified Bacarruda plan (Around the World with Mr. and Mrs. Paveway)

I also vote that we should get Russians.

Americans are U.S. Army rejects, so these guys

Meanwhile, the Russians are cool.

***The Upsides Of Hiring Russian***

*More dudes
*Taking people out of Russia is a humanitarian effort
*Resourceful
*Good at recruitment/conscription effort
**120 Mosins that can be given out to new employees
***Do you get hard thinking about SF training Montangnards in Vietnam? That's basically what the Russians can do for us, but with more drinking
*Already trained for harsh conditions (Siberia is 100% misery all year, the difference being that it's cold in winter and oxygen is replaced by mosquitoes in summer)
*Mechanized infantry
*Come in a combined arms package
*Lets us toys with ideas like strapping an ATGM to a T-34
*Any tank is better than no tank
*Already familiar with the equipment that the enemy uses, so can resupply in the field
*Might be both Communists and Russian Orthodox, thus giving us a moral compass
*Plausible deniability: would gay designer Swede mercs be using uncouth homophobic Russians? I think not!
*Probably handy with wood working

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Ok, why am I some set on bringing along anti-shipping missiles?

One, we need some serious standoff capability to deal with the potential Chinese frigate. If we drop bombs on the frigate, they're going to ram a SAM up our asses before we can finish laser-guiding our Paveways to the target.

Two, the RB 15s are more accurate.

Three, the RB 15s are more lethal.

Four, being longer-ranged, more accurate and more lethal, means the RB 15s can kill all three ships with 3-4 missiles and then get out of Dodge. If we're solely using laser-guided bombs, we have to tool around over the target guiding weapons, dropping extra bombs to make up for misses, and assessing battle damage. That's going to burn fuel, and it means we spend a lot of time faffing around off the Burmese cost, just asking to be intercepted while we're low on fuel.

I'm not opposed to bringing along some GBU-12s as a backup. But they shouldn't be our primary weapon.

I get that they the RB 15s are drat expensive. But we need to do this job right, or else we risk losing a Gripen to a SAM or a Burmese fighter. And that is much more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

So that we are all on the same page, what would people say if I modified Plan B?

I'm worried about the possible presence of that Chinese frigate, so we need more anti-surface firepower. And if we're avoiding Burmese airspace, there's less need for dedicated fighter work.

Here is what I would change:
-The High CAP birds carry GBU-12 Paveways, a Litening pod, drop tanks, and IRIS-T air-to-air missiles. They will ID the frigate and the freighters with their Litening pod (the AEW&C bird can also help spot radar emissions from the frigate).
-Once the targets are ID'ed the anti-shipping birds will drop in low and pop the frigate with a missile each and then fire one missile at their chosen transport. Then they will RTB to Calcutta (or to our home base, if needed).
-Once the threat from the frigate is gone, the High CAP birds will finish off any unsunken ships and then RTB to Calcutta (or to our home base, if needed).
-The Tanker will meet up with the RTB'ing Gripens and keep them fuelled until we can land in Calcutta (or to our home base, if needed).
-The AEW&C bird only has about 1,300km range will need to land at Calcutta to take on gas before heading over the Bay of Bengal. It will need to be launched very early in the morning, so that it can gas up and then take off from Calcutta to meet with the strike package.

Keep in mind that the planes hauling the RB 15Fs can also carry 2 Meteors each, so they make great CAP cover once they've launched their AShMs. At that point, your plan will completely obsolete my plan Bravo-Point-Five. Which is good, because it means less voting confusion.

Also, I'd try to get the Gripens back to our own airbase if we can. If we can manage to get them turned around in time, they can help blow up more ground forces and give us even more bonus CAS money.