Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Life is Strange was a breath of fresh air compared to the Telltale stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Renoistic posted:

That's what I thought, too.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I have never been disappointed by a telltale game but I've only ever bought them on sale for $5 or so or gotten them for free. TWD 2 was a step back for sure from the first but I didn't have any major issues with the story or gameplay. I feel like that one really emphasized the story over gameplay by having less puzzle oriented stuff or gameplay elements that could prevent you from moving forward, but that was okay with me. Usually they hook me in get me to finish them in a few days. Telltale's been pretty formulaic, but I like the stories they've told and I'm okay with that. The fact that they can be done relatively quickly is a nice break from my usual fare.

I did just start playing Until Dawn so that might jade me going forward. I thought Life is Strange was really well done too with its mechanics and surprising amount of options.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also Until Dawn.

I'd also rather hate-play David Cage games because they are hilarious and generally look pretty good and are mostly super entertaining.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mycot posted:

I think Telltale never made a single big fuckup but they've been so unambitious for so long it's hard to get excited. It doesn't help that they still do the erratic update schedule despite that.

Yeah. In a nutshell that sums it up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SHAUN!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I have to work with JSON for work a lot and there is absolutely no way my brain is ever not going to say "JaaaSOOON" every time I think about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Renoistic posted:

Giving time traveling powers to an unconfident teenager as the core component of the game was so genius that I don't know if you can ever quite hit that mark again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Montalvo posted:

While I may not have fully understood every detail of its plot, the ending to Final Fantasy 15 was extraordinarily satisfying.

It's probably the best ending in the series.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm afraid to play any more FF15 since they were talking about making radical gameplay changes someday in the future.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is that like where one of the characters says R-R-RADICAL! after critting a monster.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they gave everyone a skateboard and sunglasses

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Chocobo races were replaced by Chocobo half-pipes.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

https://youtu.be/DAhG9D9UO7c

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I am still waiting for a Fletch game to be made by Telltale or someone else.

Get Chevy onboard to do the voice acting and I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Manatee Cannon posted:

they gave everyone a skateboard and sunglasses

Road trip RPG where everyone is Uncle Death

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

kirbysuperstar posted:

Road trip RPG where everyone is Uncle Death

Million dollar game right there

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sakurazuka posted:

It's probably the best ending in the series.

Ummmaybe you've never heard of Final Fantasy VI :smug:

But I agree it's good, people are down on it because of how enormously slapdash the last, ah, five chapters of the game are but I would say it still ended quite strong. Pretty much everything after getting to the ruined palace is gold.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Wolfsheim posted:

Ummmaybe you've never heard of Final Fantasy VI :smug:

But I agree it's good, people are down on it because of how enormously slapdash the last, ah, five chapters of the game are but I would say it still ended quite strong. Pretty much everything after getting to the ruined palace is gold.

"Slapdash" is a word. "Painfully, obviously unfinished" is three words.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The review of Parappa I read said that they did not fix some kind of critical timing problem that was present in the original game. I never played it (having only recently gotten any interest in music games), but is it that bad?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

The review of Parappa I read said that they did not fix some kind of critical timing problem that was present in the original game. I never played it (having only recently gotten any interest in music games), but is it that bad?

I think it was because the game was designed around inherent delays with CRT that allowed smooth input for timing the rhythms. With faster hardware the game tends to drop sync between frames and audio so while you might have the rhythm correct, the screen prompts are almost an entire second behind. I don't recall making it past the onion sensei because of the timing differences; and that was just connecting a PS1 to a flatscreen about a decade ago.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Video Nasty posted:

I think it was because the game was designed around inherent delays with CRT that allowed smooth input for timing the rhythms. With faster hardware the game tends to drop sync between frames and audio so while you might have the rhythm correct, the screen prompts are almost an entire second behind. I don't recall making it past the onion sensei because of the timing differences; and that was just connecting a PS1 to a flatscreen about a decade ago.
Not quite, CRTs just had way lower display lag than LCD screens, and the timing in Parappa was very tight. There was no issue of dropping "sync" on newer TVs, they just don't keep up so your input is behind.

And that's not really the issue with this new version because they adjusted the timing, the issue is as it's always been - pressing the buttons at the right time for the game result in Parappa himself sounding like a chopped up mess. He's never sounded right, the game was just very novel at the time so we didn't care.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Hopefully this isn't a bad omen for the patapon and loco roco remasters (if those are even still in consideration)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is any of the Watch Dogs 2 DLC worth getting while the sale's on, or is it all cosmetic stuff? I'm happy in my bright pink PRIDE shirt and boxer shirts, so

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
FFXV Ending Chat: I thought the ending was cool to watch but unsatisfying and made no sense to me. Basically you wake up after 10 years missing, meet up with your friends with little to no fanfare at all, immediately walk up to the castle where you have the final fight, then you just leave your friends standing outside with a basically undefeatable army encroaching onto them while you go inside and kill yourself to restart the world. Then it all just happens again? What am I missing here, seems more like you hosed everyone over to an endless cycle the more I thought about it.
I feel like it would make way more sense if you sacrificed yourself and save everything (as in SEE what the results after saving them are) rather than literally going back to the beginning of the game because everyone already died.

I still enjoyed FFXV but the ending was just kinda like, WTF is going on to me especially with what happens to the other members of the gang.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 6, 2017

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Scorps posted:

FFXV Ending Chat: I thought the ending was cool to watch but unsatisfying and made no sense to me. Basically you wake up after 10 years missing, meet up with your friends with little to no fanfare at all, immediately walk up to the castle where you have the final fight, then you just leave your friends standing outside with a basically undefeatable army encroaching onto them while you go inside and kill yourself to restart the world. Then it all just happens again? What am I missing here, seems more like you hosed everyone over to an endless cycle the more I thought about it.
I feel like it would make way more sense if you sacrificed yourself and save everything (as in SEE what the results after saving them are) rather than literally going back to the beginning of the game because everyone already died.

I still enjoyed FFXV but the ending was just kinda like, WTF is going on to me especially with what happens to the other members of the gang.

Where did you get the cyclic recurrence idea from? The game is pretty explicit about the end being, in fact, the end.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
is it possible (I've been out of the loop a little) to preload that Dishonored 2 weekend trial yet?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FFXV, are you getting recurring by reading into the NG+ like you would dark souls? Cause that's just cause people wanted a NG+. I never got any cycle vibes. You die and go to heaven with a picture of a butt, everyone else lives the end.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Scorps posted:

It's because FFXV is bad

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

LordMune posted:

Where did you get the cyclic recurrence idea from? The game is pretty explicit about the end being, in fact, the end.

I mean it like literally restarted the game from the intro once you beat it without me choosing to do so, I took that as some kind of cycle I guess or some reason that it did because most games don't just start over. Certainly possible I was just overthinking it. I like it even less then because what happened at the end is pretty much everyone died? I don't see how any of the gang lives after you go into the building. I admittedly may be forgetting some details because I beat it right after it came out and never played it again other than to finish a few trophies I was near.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 6, 2017

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Scorps posted:

I mean it like literally restarted the game from the intro once you beat it without me choosing to do so, I took that as some kind of cycle I guess or some reason that it did because most games don't just start over. Certainly possible I was just overthinking it. I like it even less then because what happened at the end is pretty much everyone died? I don't see how any of the gang lives after you go into the building. I admittedly may be forgetting some details because I beat it right after it came out and never played it again other than to finish a few trophies I was near.

Uhhhh Did you immediately turn off the system once it started playing Stand by Me again? Because that's not what happens

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Has this been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB4EWKDdstA

This has to be parody about Searching for Sugarman, right?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the game makes it pretty explicitly clear that the end is the end. Noctis and Lunafreya reunite in heaven and sunlight returns to the world.

Also, the chapter that everyone complains about wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be; partly because I was very overlevelled by the time I got to it. I could have done without the jumpscares though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chapter 13 wasn't the worst thing in the world but it wasn't great. The ending is fantastic though

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Scorps posted:

Did you think the Witcher 3 was an endless cycle too? NG+ only has diegetic meaning in Soulsborne my dude.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Harlock posted:

The free to play Diablo 2 esque Marvel Heroes is coming to PS4. This is good.

It doesn't feature cross play if you already have a PC account. This is bad.

In one fail swoop went from excited to meh.
Before my computer died, and i never bothered to replace it, i whaled so loving hard on that game. Everyone was to 60. Really enjoyed the grind with goons to run and bs with

Not willing to start all over again though. Ugh

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Demicol posted:

Has this been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB4EWKDdstA

This has to be parody about Searching for Sugarman, right?

This is awesome.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Feenix posted:

is it possible (I've been out of the loop a little) to preload that Dishonored 2 weekend trial yet?

Answered my own question: Downloaded and playing.

I will up the ante:

I know Dishonored 2 originally got panned a bit by Digital Foundry for offering little, if any performance improvement on PS4 PRo.

A) Did anything better ever get patched in?

B) If not. Does Boost Mode have an affect?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dishonored 2 must have sold like poo poo, it's already down to €28 in CEX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dishonored 2 must have sold like poo poo, it's already down to €28 in CEX.

it did.most games released between august and december were considered flops by media/publishers last years outside of mafia 3, cod, bf1, and a few others.