Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
How much is Stellaris going to be (on Steam) anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

SkySteak posted:

How much is Stellaris going to be (on Steam) anyway?

$19.99 for utopia donno if stellaris will get a discount. It's currently $39.99
They usually do discounts I think.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

What I want to know is, if you embrace a different faction, do you get to choose civics again?

I think that's explained in the dev diaries. When you embrace a faction, your empire ethics shift by one point based on this: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-61-indoctrination-unrest-and-faction-interactions.999954/

Then when it shifts, you have to click the 'reform govt' button for more political points and you get to choose civics again based on your updated, shifted ethics according to this: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-62-government-civics-and-hive-minds.1001169/

Also, goddamit Paradox and your upgrade offer! You made me spend :10bux: on the Nova Edition for the spideys and music - you make me feel like an utter consumer whore!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 6, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Guilliman posted:

$19.99 for utopia donno if stellaris will get a discount. It's currently $39.99
They usually do discounts I think.

They updated the translation for the Steam release, it's 'dunno' now. :v:

I got Stellaris for 25$~ off of the Humble store back when they were doing a sale and I had the subscriber discount.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

I think that's explained in the dev diaries. When you embrace a faction, your empire ethics shift by one point based on this: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-61-indoctrination-unrest-and-faction-interactions.999954/

Then when it shifts, you have to click the 'reform govt' button for more political points and you get to choose civics again based on your updated, shifted ethics according to this: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-62-government-civics-and-hive-minds.1001169/

Also, goddamit Paradox and your upgrade offer! You made me spend :10bux: on the Nova Edition for the spideys and music - you make me feel like an utter consumer whore!

This is rad as hell, because it means I can have civics that are good for quick teching/unity/expansion early on, but then switch to a hardcore economy option mid-game. I really disliked how state level bonuses were completely locked in (barring triggering some events), coming from mostly playing Civilisation games it felt real weird.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I am going to get really high and never start a game because I'll never be able to decide on my starting empire. I can't wait! :3:

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I am going to get really high and never start a game because I'll never be able to decide on my starting empire. I can't wait! :3:

I got the same problem, but I've found a solution to this: I always play RANDOM empires now. So much fun!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, random is great.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Not really. It'd have to be a *lot* of civilian ships to impact performance graphically, and an insanely badly coded mechanic to affect it on other levels.

I know that the Civilian Trade mod works ok when I play single player, but I played a number of multiplayer games using that with some friends in Ireland (I'm in Sweden) and just having that one mod active tanked performance noticably for me compared to multiplayer without mods. They both seemed to still get ok performance, so it could be my rig or the network latency between the host and myself or that specific mod. Just something to keep in mind.

I'm getting a new rig in a day or two, though, so I might be able to verify/eliminate my current rig as the cause soon enough.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CrazyLoon posted:

Wait what? I bought on steam how do I do this.

e: That was not there a few days ago. About to spend a bunch of money! Hooray!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 6, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Splicer posted:

Wait what? I bought on steam how do I do this.

It's listed as DLC!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
restarted steam and updating now!!!
e: 787mb dl

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Release party stream: "Humans are no longer quick learners, because I mean, if so 2016 would never have happened..." :drat:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

Release party stream: "Humans are no longer quick learners, because I mean, if so 2016 would never have happened..." :drat:

:agreed:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I hate that I have to sleep right now. loving night shift.

Knightsoul posted:

I got the same problem, but I've found a solution to this: I always play RANDOM empires now. So much fun!

I think I'm gonna do this. Winging it sounds fun.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

:boom:

Downloading now, :f5:ing the hell out of the store page.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

:thurman:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Open question for anyone with a good computer: how long does a year take you on the fastest setting at game start and, say, a century or two into the campaign? Medium galaxy preferred, but if you're running something larger, that's fine too

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i did it

i bought and downloaded utopia

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

GunnerJ posted:

What are the new traits for humans then?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Rumda posted:

Dumb and delicious, probably!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Minor bug, possibly WAI: default races have no civics, you need to edit them before you can select them.

Actually it was the goon pack races. Ignore!

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 6, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rumda posted:

Adaptive, Nomadic, and Wasteful (later in stream: "We'll happily go anywhere and mess it up" lol).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Soup du Journey posted:

Open question for anyone with a good computer: how long does a year take you on the fastest setting at game start and, say, a century or two into the campaign? Medium galaxy preferred, but if you're running something larger, that's fine too

I don't have any numbers for you but it kinda depends what's going on. A peaceful, stable galaxy with little need for diplomatic deals seems to go a lot quicker, and any time there's a war on (especially the big federated kind you get later) it slows right down.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

GunnerJ posted:

Adaptive, Nomadic, and Wasteful (later in stream: "We'll happily go anywhere and mess it up" lol).

That's fits so much better than quick learner even before 2016

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

GunnerJ posted:

I like that they gave Humans the adaptive trait. It never really made much sense that humans apparently can't survive in biomes that we inhabit fairly comfortably here on Earth. (I mean, humans evolved in the savannah)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GotLag posted:

I don't have any numbers for you but it kinda depends what's going on. A peaceful, stable galaxy with little need for diplomatic deals seems to go a lot quicker, and any time there's a war on (especially the big federated kind you get later) it slows right down.
you know, that's a good point. if you (or anyone else) wanna do me a favor and have a campaign somewhere around midgame, maybe run for a year and lemme know how long it takes, then post the savegame somewhere so i can see how long it takes on my potato?

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 6, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

VirtualStranger posted:

I like that they gave Humans the adaptive trait. It never really made much sense that humans apparently can't survive in biomes that we inhabit fairly comfortably here on Earth. (I mean, humans evolved in the savannah)

I think this really comes down to the "Continental" planet type being a little bit of a bullshit conceit.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MadJackal posted:

I really hope Leviathans goes on sale tomorrow. I want all the new content, but I don't think a few missions are worth 10 American dollars. 5? Sure.

It's $6.69 at the Paradox store for the next 8 hours. Not quite $5 but better than $10, and they email you a Steam key.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris-leviathan-story-pack

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Soup du Journey posted:

you know, that's a good point. if you (or anyone else) wanna do me a favor and have a campaign somewhere around midgame, maybe run for a year and lemme know how long it takes, then post the savegame somewhere so i can see how long it takes on my potato?

nevermind, just discovered ticks_per_turn. gonna buy some poppers, get horned up, and be a paypig for some swedes 2nite!!!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Why is Utopia cheaper on steam than on Paradoxplaza? Is it a VAT thing, since steam charges in my currency while Paradoxplaze charge in euros?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Christ, that's certainly a starting position.

Oh well, makes it hard for any regular empires to ever reach the homeworld. (I'm gonna be boxed in by an FE three systems up, aren't I?)

e; holy gently caress my science ship arrives in the first system immediately north of me and the Ancient Dreadnought is waiting there :laffo:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 6, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

"Tile blocker cleared" - POTY. EOTY?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh thank god there's a sound cue for tile blocker removal being done

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

One of the traditions is 40K-style STCs, just called SCTs instead. EXPACOTY.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Now I can spend ridiculous amount of time creating a new Empire.

Also, empires I created before are lacking an ethos due to 1.5 changes, eh.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Autosaving no longer stops my game for five seconds. I'm sure it will later in the game, but at least the beginning is faster.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rincewinds posted:

Why is Utopia cheaper on steam than on Paradoxplaza? Is it a VAT thing, since steam charges in my currency while Paradoxplaze charge in euros?
Weirdly, my country uses euros and paradoxplaza insisted on charging me sterling :shrug: undocumented 10% discount ahoy!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
the time to warp/cooldown timers seem to be gone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dwesa posted:

Now I can spend ridiculous amount of time creating a new Empire.

Also, empires I created before are lacking an ethos due to 1.5 changes, eh.

ah, nihilism mode

• Locked thread