Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Paid for by G. Johns.

He has admitted he was a part of it.

IN A SURPRISE TO NO ONE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, this is pretty much what I thought.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah there ya go. Those ads were in everything. They tried to buy ad space in DC comics but I don't think that ever panned out.

edit: HEAT! HAL'S EMERALD ATTACK TEAM!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah there ya go. Those ads were in everything. They tried to buy ad space in DC comics but I don't think that ever panned out.

Here's the weirdest part. I found this on an ancient Quasar fan site through a Google search. They even have an interview with Jack Grimes the leader of H.E.A.T (Hal's Emerald Attack Team).

http://www.quantumzone.org/behind_the_scenes/interviews/jack_grimes_interview.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They were nutty dudes. There were some AOL chat rooms sponsored by DC and the HEAT guys would come in and spam BRING BACK HAL until they got booted.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That was a reasonable ad though. Having Hal and the Corp back has been awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

That was a reasonable ad though. Having Hal and the Corp back has been awesome.

Yeah it is now, but at the time it didn't make any sense and like the death of Barry, GL comics were not moving like they used to so they shook things up. And it worked! Kyle was a huge hit!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jack Grimes

J G

G J

Geoff Johns

Code cracked!

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Actually Hal has been back so long a lot probably grew up with Hal.

I did.

He still kind of blows

I'm on the young-ish side and I grew up with Kyle. My only real exposure to Hal was Zero Hour, and his sledghammer showdown with Mongul at the end of Reign of the Supermen. My entire experience with the character was when he was completely psychotic, so I did find it perplexing when he came back and everyone but no-fun Batman was practically genuflecting.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

Here's my question about this situation. I think I can understand people wanting Hal back because I do remember hearing people saying they like him and his stories. I think they're probably been a bit of backlash to him after he came back. But I can't remember anyone talking about Barry Allen stories they liked. I mean all the good Flash stories that people talk about are the Wally stories. Part of which Johns spent the best parts of career writing. So while I can understand there being some people that wanted Hal I just don't see why people wanted Barry.

The best Barry Allen story was the one where he died saving the universe.

Bringing him back was such a terrible idea. Barry was vastly more interesting as the DC Universe's Designated Martyr than he is as an actual living character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean I can kinda see where the Hal fans are coming from, because their boy didn't die heroically like Barry did, he turned into a genocider pretty much out of nowhere. But, in my limited experience, Hal Jordan was much more interesting as Parallax, and then as Specter, than he was as a Green Lantern.

Even bringing him back as a boring green lantern could've been ok if Johns didn't feel the need to constantly fellate the character and have other green lanterns whisper to each other about how awesome Hal is.

I don't know, it just makes DC look extremely out of touch is all. Do they think there are that many 50 year olds who loved Hal Jordan and Barry Allen still buying comics? And even if there were, how long are they gonna be around?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

X-O posted:

Jack Grimes

J G

G J

Geoff Johns

Code cracked!
It's a coincidence that he would have the exact same name as the guy who played Jimmy Olsen in the Superman radio plays.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

Do they think there are that many 50 year olds who loved Hal Jordan and Barry Allen still buying comics? And even if there were, how long are they gonna be around?
They think exactly that, yes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Real talk, the Flash comics for like 10 years prior to COIE were not good and they were going to cancel the Flash anyways which is why they let Wolfman kill him off in the crossover. If you line them up side by side Wally has overwhelmingly better stories and a much more solid and consistent history than Barry (once Waid shows up anyways).

The issues I've read of Bill Messner-Loebs Flash was fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Real talk, the Flash comics for like 10 years prior to COIE were not good and they were going to cancel the Flash anyways which is why they let Wolfman kill him off in the crossover. If you line them up side by side Wally has overwhelmingly better stories and a much more solid and consistent history than Barry (once Waid shows up anyways).

Yeah but how many universes did he save?

Probably only like 7 or 8 tops.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Did they at least give Hal back those cool grey streaks on the sides of his head?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

Did they at least give Hal back those cool grey streaks on the sides of his head?

I remember reading (I think it was) one of Chris Sims's columns where he highlighted that Hal Jordan going grey at the temples and celebrating his fortieth birthday shortly after COIE was the cause of no little consternation for some people. It might have been in one of those older Ask Chris articles where he elucidated what he thinks is (was? It was a few years ago now) "The Problem" with DC from a creative standpoint (i.e. that they want to be Marvel).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We must secure the existence of Hal Jordan and a future for the Green Lantern Corps.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

In partial defense of the Barry era, there are many things from his time that are now iconic parts of the Flash mythos: the costume in the ring, the Cosmic Treadmill, the Rogues Gallery and their "friendly enemy" relation with the Flash, the Flash Museum, "Flash Facts" ...

That said, while I'm old enough to remember when Barry was the Flash, it was Wally who got me into the character, even when Mike Baron was writing him as an immature rear end in a top hat.

While I wasn't happy when Wally was killed off and Bart was grimmed and aged up, I was willing to give Bart a chance. I think DC just panicked when Bart got a cold initial reception -- which had more to do with the fact that Danny Bilson and Paul DeMeo were lovely comics writers -- and brought back Barry instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's Flash of Two Worlds I guess.

I don't know if the story's actually good, but it's iconic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Silver Age Flash a lot. I love how Broome and Infantino always came up with ridiculous ways for Barry to use his super speed to do just about anything and still make it sound somewhat consistent with itself.

Still blows my mind a little to think that the Speed Force didn't show up until the 1990s, though. It seems like such a Silver Agey concept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

And the posters grew up with Kyle, if that wasn't obvious.

Except the part where when I was growing up I had to rely on my uncle's old comics so 90% of what i read was Hal Jordan. He was, as far as I concerned, The Green Lantern. (Though since JLI was one of my favorite comics I liked Guy Gardner more.)

"It was rushed" is a fair criticism of Emerald Twilight but Hal Jordan being a messed-up guy was always part of the comics and the Hal Jordan Defenders never actually cared about anything but him being the guy they recognized. I was never as big on Kyle as some people but the attempts to revive Hal were always lame as hell.

(I would however support a 'give Hal back the grey' campaign because Hal's grey sides looked way loving better.)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like Hal when he's oaired up with other characters like Green Arrow or Batman, but on his own he's kinda just there.

Roth fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 7, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hal's main thing is being brash and impulsive, which is fun in a 20 something but it's not quite as cute when he's in his 40s

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

X-O posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much what I thought.

Wizard did a delightful parody of this in one of their April Fool's issues with G'nort's Emerald Action Team.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

When they brought Hal back all I could think was "jeez hasn't that guy had a few too many hits to the head for this? He should be in a dark room somewhere"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The best Barry Allen story was the one where he died saving the universe.

Bringing him back was such a terrible idea. Barry was vastly more interesting as the DC Universe's Designated Martyr than he is as an actual living character.

See also: Jason Todd

Seriously though, Wally's stories for a time were about him becoming better than Barry was because he decided to allow himself to step out of his shadow and become his own man. For Barry to come back and new stories to be like "Nah, nevermind" is so lame.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The best Barry Allen is the one that was in Return of Barry Allen

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

bobkatt013 posted:

Paid for by G. Johns.

This got a really big laugh out of me. Thank you. :golfclap:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My experience of Hal Jordan's original run is pretty limited to panels of him being an idiot out of context, so I sometimes have a difficult time working out how he became this mythical figure people were obsessed with getting back.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
im pretty sure he was either brain damaged or mind controlled for a lot of them

not that it explains why people like him, just that it explains why he seems so dumb

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

quite stretched out posted:

im pretty sure he was either brain damaged or mind controlled for a lot of them

not that it explains why people like him, just that it explains why he seems so dumb

I'm pretty sure he's brain damaged in most everything he's appeared in.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I grew up reading my brother's old Green Lantern comics from the mid to late 80's and I never really cared for Hal is a character, but Kyle always seemed to have more of a personality. I used to read the Kyle comics to the pages came out. Hal on the other hand was always bland.

Still the best GL was Stewart and Mosaic was the best GL comic.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

How often do people refer to womans as "cow" as an insult in comics. I never heard it in movies or anything but reading Chris Claremont's X-men run and some tie ins where that comes up I'm really confused if that was real lingo or just a Claremontism

Edit: I remember Dr Doom calling Carol a fat cow in Mighty Avengers back in 2005

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's a thing, I've heard it several times in real life and media.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's definitely not a comics thing. I've heard it all over too. I have no idea where it comes from though. I mean you can guess maybe as there's a commonality in one thing, being a provider of milk, but I have no idea if that's the impetus behind the saying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean that's like asking where "bitch" comes from.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Insulting a woman by calling them a female of some other species probably goes back to the beginning of human speech.

Specifically in comics they weren't allowed to print the word bitch for most of their history so cow's an acceptable stand-in.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cows have udders and are property for men that produce things for them

Not hard to see how that might get applied by some piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Suggesting someone is an animal is a common form of insult beyond any specific gender or racial epithet (eg rat, dog, snake, and worm), and comics definitely didn't invent calling women cows (cf every British soap ever).

E: I literally heard one bloke call another bloke a dog while I was typing this.